Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Then again imagine if you could hack it, and you'd get a big old dial on your phone screen labelled SPEED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Biplane posted:

AC Valhalla: your viking friends have induvidual stories to tell on your longship. And you can swap in or out who rides in your ship which took me many hours to discover, so I guess this is an easy thing to miss. Some of them are pretty funny too!

I didn't know about that either and that's a good reason to use it for once. Thanks for posting this.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Prey for the Xbox 360: The jukebox in the bar plays 'Don't Fear the Reaper' when aliens abduct you.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Rise of Man: there's problems with it, of course, but I've never played a city (village?) builder on this level that feels so organic. My village grows in a way that feels natural and realistic. I wish I'd found a vantage point to take pictures of the settlement as it grew from a small bunch of mooks with stone spears in a forest on a riverbank to a walled town on a cultivated plain filled with people.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mamkute posted:

Prey for the Xbox 360: The jukebox in the bar plays 'Don't Fear the Reaper' when aliens abduct you.

Also the radios have people calling coast to coast AM about the giant alien ship. They even got Art Bell!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

bony tony posted:

Watch Dogs: Legion

YOU CAN RIDE THE LONDON EYE

Oh huh, I assumed it would be shut down because NO HAPPINESS ALLOWED, OBEY, CITIZEN.

Nice!

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I've started a new playthrough of Spec Ops: The Line because this is 2020 and I don't deserve happiness, and I'm just being hammered by how amazing the audio design is from top to bottom. Not just the various set pieces that use the classic late 60's/early 70's heavy metal that I was raised on, but the way that the degrading quality of the character's combat discipline is perfectly reflected in the sound choices As opposed to the soldiers you're fighting who only break their discipline to panic that you've come for them.

This game is just amazing, and it's impossible to recommend to people. "Play Spec Ops: The Line, I promise you'll feel like poo poo afterwards."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that in the last few chapters the enemy soldiers are totally calm under pressure and sound borderline robotic with how coordinated they are... unless you get aggressive and rush them :black101:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
It gets brought up every time I think, but worth repeating is that the main three characters' VAs did the whole game in a single day-long take in order, so they would sound appropriately angry and weathered by the end.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I did enjoy their gradual transition from the early-game "tango down, sir" to the late-game "GOTCHA MOTHERFUCKER"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

In AC Valhalla I just realized Eivor can straight up punch through rocks to collect ore if you don't equip a weapon. Also she just started suplexing dudes as a finisher. She's like the magical Viking love child of a time-traveling Chris Redfield and Leon Kennedy :black101:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Captain Hygiene posted:

In AC Valhalla I just realized Eivor can straight up punch through rocks to collect ore if you don't equip a weapon. Also she just started suplexing dudes as a finisher. She's like the magical Viking love child of a time-traveling Chris Redfield and Leon Kennedy :black101:

You can also kick em apart if you're on your horse.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Eivor's finishers are metal as all Hell and I love the variety of kill animations they give him. I'm 50 hours in and I'm still finding new ones.

Is there any explanation what that ghost dimension thing AC protagonists go to when they kill major enemies is?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

grittyreboot posted:

Eivor's finishers are metal as all Hell and I love the variety of kill animations they give him. I'm 50 hours in and I'm still finding new ones.

Is there any explanation what that ghost dimension thing AC protagonists go to when they kill major enemies is?

I think the idea is that the Animus’ representation of events isn’t perfect (see also: desync warnings when you gank a civilian, collecting assorted digital bits that have nothing to do with the historical story, etc) and those scenes are a flash of how it really turned out from the perspective of the protagonist.

They’ve been there since the first game, maybe there’s some sort of ancient aliens explanation for them too, but if there is I don’t know what it is.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

grittyreboot posted:

I really like that in AC Valhalla a lot of the Order enemies are super regretful, weren't really intending on being evil and Eivor is quite pragmatic about them in the post death scenes with them, and sometimes even almost friendly with them. They were just lured into the cult, and it didn't go well, she gets that

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Apart from Fulke the cult don't seem to do much evil. Or much of anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dewgy posted:

I think the idea is that the Animus’ representation of events isn’t perfect (see also: desync warnings when you gank a civilian, collecting assorted digital bits that have nothing to do with the historical story, etc) and those scenes are a flash of how it really turned out from the perspective of the protagonist.

They’ve been there since the first game, maybe there’s some sort of ancient aliens explanation for them too, but if there is I don’t know what it is.

Some of it just handwavy, but the general gist of the Animus is it's a whole lot of filling in the blanks to thread someone's genetically-stored memories together as it's a whole nebulous mess of incomplete data. As an example; you might not remember the trip to work, but you do remember the conversation with someone at the front door of your office on a specific day, so the game part would be parkouring around people and cars through city streets to get there and the cutscene triggers at the entrance ignoring the whole police chase you accidentally triggered on the way. Also nearly desyncing on punching some guy in the face because you've never punched people randomly in the street.

The cutscenes are actual genetic memories and the kills are (as I understand it) just an 'intimate' moment where the Assassin has shut out everything around them and focused on their target's final moments so the Animus has nothing to work off to render surrounding scenery. Plus they just look cool as hell.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Supreme Commander 2 was mediocre game and a very bad sequel, the sense of being In Decline is written across the entire game. Like the galaxy just got through a hundred year genocidal war that was capped off with aliens at the end and we're in the post war interregnum to Something and the economy is poo poo and everyone is dead. The three tier tech tree has been shrunk to 1.5 and the amount of units is something like a fifth of what was previously there, the existing units are much more durable and can often be teched to cover multiple roles redundantly as if they aren't expendable and specialization is too expensive. The experimental units are cheaper and weaker than in the first game; the Fatboy has lost its unit factory and all subsystems and is just a rolling artillery gun. The Megalith 2 is vastly weaker than the original and is only similar in that it is vaguely crab-like. This extends to the plot, the characters are almost entirely dumb as dogshit dregs, just scenery chewing dipshits and third-stringers you wouldn't trust with a burnt match. It's also visible in the map design itself: In SC1 the maps were huge and blandly featureless aside from the terrain itself, something like a city housing millions takes up as much real estate as a small player-built firebase. Meanwhile in SC2 the maps are much smaller and are often small sections of sprawling labyrinthine complexes vastly larger than whatever piddling battle is going on at the time.

So that's the little thing I liked, just the way all these intentional and unintentional elements to tell the story of a dying setting and a dying franchise

gently caress if you want to go full galaxy-brained it's also an RTS, an evolutionary dead-end of a genre

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Apart from Fulke the cult don't seem to do much evil. Or much of anything.

Eh? You get multiple missions dedicated specifically to that. Like the one woman who was a seeming saint but was actually performing horrible torture-experiments on people in her basement in an effort to advance medicine.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Project Wingman went gold and it has the Aveo Arrow flyable :supaburn:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Eh? You get multiple missions dedicated specifically to that. Like the one woman who was a seeming saint but was actually performing horrible torture-experiments on people in her basement in an effort to advance medicine.

That's more of her hobby than anything to do with the Order though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

grittyreboot posted:

IIRC Syndicate is the only game in the series where they even addressed them and it was just to go "hey, that's weird"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Origins did a lot with those scenes. You even fought a boss during one of them!

Also in Revelations one enemy wasn't all the way dead, so he woke up halfway through Ezio's monologue, which was fun.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

The Lone Badger posted:

That's more of her hobby than anything to do with the Order though.

No the notes indicate it was specifically for the order to try and regain the ability of "eternal" life, hence looking for very specific limbs and body parts, unless I am missing something vital?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Apparently I need to keep playing Origins to get to the good parts

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

Apparently I need to keep playing Origins to get to the good parts

If you've played far enough to meet Aya and assassinate a target after that but still aren't feeling it yet, it's more of the same for another 20+ hours except eventually there are Romans tbh. Don't stick around waiting for it to get good past that point if you're not enjoying it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Some of it just handwavy, but the general gist of the Animus is it's a whole lot of filling in the blanks to thread someone's genetically-stored memories together as it's a whole nebulous mess of incomplete data. As an example; you might not remember the trip to work, but you do remember the conversation with someone at the front door of your office on a specific day, so the game part would be parkouring around people and cars through city streets to get there and the cutscene triggers at the entrance ignoring the whole police chase you accidentally triggered on the way. Also nearly desyncing on punching some guy in the face because you've never punched people randomly in the street.

The cutscenes are actual genetic memories and the kills are (as I understand it) just an 'intimate' moment where the Assassin has shut out everything around them and focused on their target's final moments so the Animus has nothing to work off to render surrounding scenery. Plus they just look cool as hell.

It’s mostly this, but also all the playable assassins have some level of DNA from Precursor/Isu race which gives them a kind of sixth sense (Eagle vision and poo poo) and it could also be an application of that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Huh. I just kinda assumed Layla was running cheat mode.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Kitfox88 posted:

Project Wingman went gold and it has the Aveo Arrow flyable :supaburn:

Chevrolet paying big money for that kind of product placement?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just found one of the more unexpectedly OP perks in Valhalla: if someone dies with an active poison debuff (one of the first melee powers I got), their corpse emits a poison aura that debuffs any other enemies in range. So it's self-sustaining, if you're in a busy area you can just sit back and enjoy as your ever-expanding murky cloud of stank consumes everything.

e: you can even just tote a stanky corpse around with you to every subsequent fight too :v:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Dec 2, 2020

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol does it affect allies as well? That was one of the first 'oops' I found in Origins, poisoning enemy troops to death in public spaces and then going oh no, my bad as the citizens started to die.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol does it affect allies as well? That was one of the first 'oops' I found in Origins, poisoning enemy troops to death in public spaces and then going oh no, my bad as the citizens started to die.

Nope, they really mastered poison technology over the intervening centuries :science:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're Scandinavian poisons your allies are already immune to. Obviously.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Yeah, don't you see Eivor smack a jar of lutefisk with the equipped weapon when you activate your poison ability?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

tribbledirigible posted:

Yeah, don't you see Eivor smack a jar of lutefisk with the equipped weapon when you activate your poison ability?

:hmmyes:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

e: you can even just tote a stanky corpse around with you to every subsequent fight too :v:

What if I told you that's a little thing in real life

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/lGhMVQn.mp4
Flyting is just the best, the most fun I've had being a jerk since Curse of Monkey Island

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gods, Creeper World 4 is so satisfying to play.

Each map you slam up against these all-consuming tsunamis of creeper, and there's just something so satisfying about the core loop of slowing it down, reclaiming territory, and blasting it into submission.
It's very much a core-rts loop condensed into 5-15 min maps for the most part.

I especially like how there's a little reward for trying to protect the wildlife that's popped up on most maps. Sure it's a challenge on some maps, but you managed to save that little patch of forest.
It's such a small neat thing, since it isn't directly required (except for possibly some custom missions), and only gives a small energy boost to that area, but it's still nice to protect those tiny little trees.

C'mon buddies, you can reclaim that wasteland.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://i.imgur.com/lGhMVQn.mp4
Flyting is just the best, the most fun I've had being a jerk since Curse of Monkey Island

I find it annoying that they use rhyming when vikings used alliteration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Do they ever make it so you have to start and make it hard to have a comeback line or are we always a heckler put-down machine? It's fun and they've played with their format a little so far but always going second is getting stale.