Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

I know next to nothing about it, but: https://www.monsterlabo.com/page-d-articles/the-beast-batch-2

It's a passively cooled case supposedly capable of dissipating 600W

That is pretty crazy. A 3090 @ 850mV gets under the 250W GPU limit at about 7% performance loss over stock, and it should be able to cool any Ryzen. They do mention that coil whine could still be an issue if you are looking for complete silence, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

pyrotek posted:

That is pretty crazy. A 3090 @ 850mV gets under the 250W GPU limit at about 7% performance loss over stock, and it should be able to cool any Ryzen. They do mention that coil whine could still be an issue if you are looking for complete silence, though.

Those are crazy cool but vrm and vram cooling are very likely to be an issue there I would imagine.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

just now saw this, I've been owned :negative:

I've got a 600W PSU and zero interest in 4k (targeting 1440/144hz), so I was set on getting a 3070 and not a 3080. what's the word on the 3060 ti vs a 3070, at that point? my last few cards have been *60s and that's normally what I get, but I like the idea of slightly more future proofing with a *70. then again, my 1060 would still be almost perfect if I hadn't made the jump to 1440, so maybe I'd get through the next console generation with a 3060 just fine...

might just be "whichever I can get my hands on," unless there's a significant limitation with the 3060

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

I know next to nothing about it, but: https://www.monsterlabo.com/page-d-articles/the-beast-batch-2

It's a passively cooled case supposedly capable of dissipating 600W

It looks like to be 100% passive you're limited to 250W on the GPU and 150W on the CPU. That could probably comfortably passively cool a 5600x and a 3070 which is very impressive.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

abraham linksys posted:

I've got a 600W PSU and zero interest in 4k (targeting 1440/144hz), so I was set on getting a 3070 and not a 3080. what's the word on the 3060 ti vs a 3070, at that point? my last few cards have been *60s and that's normally what I get, but I like the idea of slightly more future proofing with a *70. then again, my 1060 would still be almost perfect if I hadn't made the jump to 1440, so maybe I'd get through the next console generation with a 3060 just fine...

might just be "whichever I can get my hands on," unless there's a significant limitation with the 3060

No way get the 3070 for 1440p if you plan to try and ride out the console generation. 3060ti should relieve some 3070 pressure.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
4th straight day of going to Micro Center with no 3080. They're getting assloads of 3070 Ventus 3X which is something I don't want.

By a stroke of luck, someone local on the non-official MC discord offered up his 3070 FE at MSRP + tax and my old man brain told me to fold. My watch is over for the next 2-3 years. :v:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

pyrotek posted:

A mobo without a chipset fan would also be a plus.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Nomyth posted:

be able to hear quiet noises in EFT without a headset
this is the craziest loving thing in the post and may actually be impossible

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
efb

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

I think it actually may be a “whatever you can get your hands on” situation- per GN (whose review I advise watching) you can OC a 3060 ti to get within a % or two of stock 3070 performance, and there appears to be a pretty linear relation between price/performance uplift between the two cards

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

exquisite tea posted:

Hey folks, I've been having some troubles since installing my MSI Ventus RTX 3080 last week, and I'm trying to narrow it down to whether it's a problem within a specific game, the driver, the hardware, or all three. Any help would be appreciated.

Stuff I've yet to try

- Disable XMP and reset RAM speed to default.
- Reseated the card (I don't think this is the issue but whatever).
- Stuck my old GPU back in to see if I still get errors.
- Undervolted or downclocked the new GPU.
- ???

Any further guidance would be great!

I think you have the gist of it. These are exactly what I'd suggest in this order:

1. Reseat the card
2. Make sure each of the power cables to the GPU is on a different port on the PSU (2 separate cables; not daisy chaining it)
3. Disable XMP
4. Undervolt with Afterburner and bring the clock down. e.g. 1850 @ 925 mV

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

I’m in the exact same situation as you (except my current card is a 1050ti) and I’m just going to take whatever one I can find at this point. Either will be a huge jump up and I’m not too worried about ‘future proofing’

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
DLSS is so good I didn't realize I had it turned on in blops until i looked at the settings.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
if anybody wanted direct comparisons with older/lesser cards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYZ8HPD2xdI

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Why is it a Ti already. wheres the non titanium version

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Question about installing my 3070: it came with an adapter from 12 pin to 2 8-pins. Do I need to use two different PCIe power cables connected to different rails or can I just use both connecters on a single PCIe cable?

The quick install manual was completely useless, and doesn't even have the same connector in the diagram that my card uses.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers

Ardlen posted:

Speaking of which, has there been any information about the difference between the two fan and three fan evga models? I noticed the two fan 3060ti only has a single 8 pin and the three fan has two.

3 fan has an 1800 MHz boost clock, 2 fan is 1710 MHz

3 fan texture fill rate is 273.6 GT/s, 2 fan is 259.9 GT/s (Link in case, like me, you have no idea WTF texture fill rate is: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1747-what-is-texture-fill-rate-defined)

3 fan dimensions are 285.37x111.15mm, 2.2 slots; 2 fan is 201.8x110mm, 2 slots

And you said, 3 fan needs 2 8-pin power connectors, the 2 fan only 1. Total power draw is listed at 200W for both cards though.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Starks posted:

Question about installing my 3070: it came with an adapter from 12 pin to 2 8-pins. Do I need to use two different PCIe power cables connected to different rails or can I just use both connecters on a single PCIe cable?

The quick install manual was completely useless, and doesn't even have the same connector in the diagram that my card uses.

The 3070 doesn't consume enough power to require two separate rails so you should be OK with just one of those cables.

EDIT: Look what just came in. Looking at the scalped prices for 3080s and I'm just gonna rationalize this as paying for an early card with a bit of a performance boost without giving money to second-hand scalpers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Starks posted:

Technically yeah they want you to.

In reality it doesn’t seem like an issue.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Starks posted:

This was the 3070FE? It should have been 1 8 pin to 12 pin connector. If it’s the 3080, I think the guidance is to use 8 pins on separate rails.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Starks posted:

A 3070 is nominally 225W, each PCIE 8 pin is supposed to be 150W and the slot 75W. It really doesn't matter for this card because the wiring for those PCIE cables is definitely fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Sphyre posted:

Why is it a Ti already. wheres the non titanium version

You make more money off the expensive cards so. A $299 or $349 3060 im sure will come out in Jan

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

3050 and 3060 might be a different die from the 3060TI and 3070.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
For a 3070 it truly doesn't matter if you use 1 cable with 2x8 pin or 2 cables with 1x8 pin. Unless you're using a custom BIOS and OCing way past the stock power limits anyway. It just doesn't draw enough power to matter.

For a 3080 on up you definitely want separate cables for each 8 pin socket.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

tragic_ethos posted:

This was the 3070FE? It should have been 1 8 pin to 12 pin connector. If it’s the 3080, I think the guidance is to use 8 pins on separate rails.

Nah its a PNY Dual Fan.

sean10mm posted:

For a 3070 it truly doesn't matter if you use 1 cable with 2x8 pin or 2 cables with 1x8 pin. Unless you're using a custom BIOS and OCing way past the stock power limits anyway. It just doesn't draw enough power to matter.

For a 3080 on up you definitely want separate cables for each 8 pin socket.

Shipon posted:

The 3070 doesn't consume enough power to require two separate rails so you should be OK with just one of those cables.

EDIT: Look what just came in. Looking at the scalped prices for 3080s and I'm just gonna rationalize this as paying for an early card with a bit of a performance boost without giving money to second-hand scalpers.

hobbesmaster posted:

A 3070 is nominally 225W, each PCIE 8 pin is supposed to be 150W and the slot 75W. It really doesn't matter for this card because the wiring for those PCIE cables is definitely fine.

Great I'll just go with one. Not planning to OC any time in the near future. Thanks!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rinkles posted:

Idk how this stuff works, but isn't it weird to release the Ti version before the base version?

1660 Ti launched before the 1660 as well. Ti just means "plus" now, not necessarily the context of "late gen refresh" like it used to (that became "Super")

this generation is weird because the 3080 is actually the TU102 cutdown and the 3070 is the full (-ish) TU104.

"Normally" the 3070 would branded as a 3080 and the 3060 Ti would be branded as the 3070, but those are slid up as well,

NVIDIA could certainly have branded the 3060 Ti as a plain 3060 but evidently they want to leave that space open for the next chip lower down.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 1, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m gonna sell my Asus 1080Ti 11GB on eBay for $300. If anyone here wants it for $250 and is gonna use it I’d be willing to sell it to one of y’all.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm waiting for the 3060ti drop, should I stay up or will they be released at a reasonable hour tomorrow morning? Discord I'm in says 9am is typical.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

change my name posted:

I'm waiting for the 3060ti drop, should I stay up or will they be released at a reasonable hour tomorrow morning? Discord I'm in says 9am is typical.

9am ET, 6am PT has been the usual for these Nvidia launches. But Nvidia really rarely does the same thing twice so "Nvidia has been doing this for the last 5 launches" often means jackshit.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Price of bitcoin surging has me wondering whether to get a 3080 earlier than I need to. Was thinking of waiting until Feb/Mar before getting a 3080 since I'm not going to be at the PC for 6-8 weeks before that, but if bitcoin is going to drive prices up again on the 3080 I should get one earlier. Just how mining-proof are these new cards?

Is the word that 3080 stock will go up in the last couple weeks of this month?

Bitcoin is how I missed out on the 1080 Ti. Didn't need/look for one until the mining craze was well underway and prices had gone to ridiculous levels.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

change my name posted:

Don't worry, you will easily be able to get one all day tomorrow

on ebay and fb

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Don Lapre posted:

Don't worry, you will easily be able to get one all day tomorrow

on ebay and fb

I am actually fine with paying up to $550 for a 3060 FE but going by how much the 3070s are on facebook marketplace, that's not going to happen

I have the "flip my new 1650 super" discount waiting

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

change my name posted:

I am actually fine with paying up to $550 for a 3060 FE but going by how much the 3070s are on facebook marketplace, that's not going to happen

I have the "flip my new 1650 super" discount waiting

Do the long game.

Sell your 1660 for a ridiculous price now, buy a new EVGA 2000 series card and get in line for step up.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
as someone without a car, i have wondered whether it'd be reasonable to pay someone who's going to be in line at microcenter anyways the cost of shipping + an extra $40 or 50 for a 3070, but I assume they have a one per limit and also they would be better off reselling an extra 3070 for like $200 extra on ebay lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

as someone without a car, i have wondered whether it'd be reasonable to pay someone who's going to be in line at microcenter anyways the cost of shipping + an extra $40 or 50 for a 3070, but I assume they have a one per limit and also they would be better off reselling an extra 3070 for like $200 extra on ebay lol

I mean I paid someone in this thread an extra $100 for a 3080 and have no regrets about it at all.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

I mean I paid someone in this thread an extra $100 for a 3080 and have no regrets about it at all.

good luck finding someone who only wants $100 even though its over a month after launch

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Do the long game.

Sell your 1660 for a ridiculous price now, buy a new EVGA 2000 series card and get in line for step up.

Have you tried to find a 2000 series card in stock recently? Go look around

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pyrotek posted:

Yeah, I remember people paying $500-600+ for an EVGA 2060S because all that matters for Step Up is what you paid.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

pyrotek posted:

Doesn't really matter as long as it's from a legit retailer and cheaper than what you want to step up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Just got an MSI 3070 and 32gb of Olloy RAM off of Newegg from the drop Discord for $700, thanks for the suggestion all. Will flip the RAM and my 1650 Super in SAmart for MSRP.