Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
apparently this is a hot take but that twitter post was hosed up and there's no way you could just skirt passed it without any sort of response.

Australia is responsible for a bunch of atrocities as well but luckily as human beings we can think that multiple things are bad at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

(Not for the reason you might expect)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

If you'll indulge me, I have a few bullshit thoughts about the Chinese SAS soldier tweet.

This reeks to me of "Sandpaper-gate" (When the Aussie Cricket team was busted using sandpaper to cheat.)

Because Australians are, although not to the same extent as China, sanctimonious nationalistic whiny babies about certain things. Our ability at sport being one, and the sanctity and purity of 'the diggers' being another.

Unlike the US, we dont brag about how big and tough and scary our military is. We brag about how good and noble they are. The military things we revere are Gallipoli, (a defeat), and Simpson and his donkey, (a bloke who would walk to and from the battlefield ferrying the wounded to base on his donkey).

So when it came out that the Australian SAS were shooting handcuffed prisoners in the back of the head for fun, Everybody has lost their minds. The right, (with ScoMo being on this side), saying "How dare you accuse our good noble butter wouldn't belt in their mouths boys of something so horrible? There must be some mistake! You are obviously unaustralian baddies for bringing it up" etc. And the rest of the country pearl clutching at the disgrace of it all and the stain on our national character and reputation as the good and noble goodies that we think we are.

Much like in Sandpaper-gate where we all lost our collective minds about the cricket team being a bunch of cheating cunts, (which they had been for decades and everybody knew).

Yes, it's a horrible image, and put out as a classic piece of CCP whataboutism. But it is showing Scomo being more outraged at the insult and obvious trolling than he is about the dead civillians that the SAS executed which reeks of Australia being more concerned with how the world sees us, ( and most importantly how we see ourselves), than anything else.

It also serves as a kind of smokescreen for both parties. Australia can't criticize the Xinjiang death camps because China can just say "your troops do warcrimes, so shut up.", and Australia can quickly skim over the fact that our soldiers are shooting handcuffed men in the back of the head, and instead focus our anger on "The bloody foreign Chinese".

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

At this point Morrison should probably thank China for effectively burying any outrage at our war crimes.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

abigserve posted:

apparently this is a hot take but that twitter post was hosed up and there's no way you could just skirt passed it without any sort of response.

Australia is responsible for a bunch of atrocities as well but luckily as human beings we can think that multiple things are bad at the same time

I agree with this 100% but I think the point was:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

At this point Morrison should probably thank China for effectively burying any outrage at our war crimes.

Its shifted the media outlook and allowed a massive pivot in government messaging from somber acceptance and accountability to defiance and demanding respect for our troops. Its a week later and they've backflipped on confiscating medals.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

abigserve posted:

apparently this is a hot take but that twitter post was hosed up

it was, we never said we came in peace

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

abigserve posted:

The real pictures of the teenagers that got slaughtered are actually far worse than the picture that was posted on Twitter

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The government was never in favour of stripping the unit's meritorious service award AFAIK. Defence was going to recommend the unit be stripped because it would never have been given if they'd known about the war crimes, but backflipped on that.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Knobb Manwich posted:

The government was never in favour of stripping the unit's meritorious service award AFAIK. Defence was going to recommend the unit be stripped because it would never have been given if they'd known about the war crimes, but backflipped on that.

Can't even strip an award for warcrimes mistah speakah.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Knobb Manwich posted:

How the gently caress is it always just... worse

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Meritorious Service Medal more like Murder Badge

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I like how it's contextualised as a "fake" picture, like asserting that China is trying to trick the world into thinking the ADF set up a delicatlilly evil political cartoon photo op in the course of a war crime

E: or, wait, is there an original image of some actual propaganda the ADF put out sans knife, where a soldier was cuddling an Afghani kid and her lamb while kneeling on a satin Aussie flag and that's the "real" one

That would be much funnier

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 1, 2020

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Honestly I can't believe the chinese government would fake a jigsaw

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was thinking that guy who killed like a hundred people with the jawbone of an rear end

thatbastardken posted:

gotta be Samson, imo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I hope China makes more of these, the trolling is clearly working. (though I'm aware it's not aimed at Australians)

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

abigserve posted:

Wait I’m confused, what was wrong with the tweet? Didn’t the Australian army literally slit 2 children’s throats?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

uninterrupted posted:

Wait I’m confused, what was wrong with the tweet? Didn’t the Australian army literally slit 2 children’s throats?

There is no evidence that it ever happened. There is plenty of evidence of the real murders.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Animal Friend posted:

How the gently caress is it always just... worse

It looks like Defence wants to go hard on this. The soldiers they can prove allegations against will be seeing the military justice system, which will make an example of them for its reputation and to warn current and future soldiers. It's shameful to see politics in action though.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

JBP posted:

There is no evidence that it ever happened. There is plenty of evidence of the real murders.

The main evidence behind both the child murders and the other murders is broadly similar (eyewitness reports to the inquiry - some did have direct audiovisual recordings, but I understand the majority were considered confirmed based on witness testimony), and it's not like one has been proven in a court of law and the other hasn't. The other murders have more credible reports but to draw a distinction between the child murder as a fabrication versus 'real' murders is stupid. The child murder story is 100% plausible given what we know already.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

ABC factchecking articles making efficient use of a limited budget I see.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

The main evidence behind both the child murders and the other murders is broadly similar (eyewitness reports to the inquiry - some did have direct audiovisual recordings, but I understand the majority were considered confirmed based on witness testimony), and it's not like one has been proven in a court of law and the other hasn't. The other murders have more credible reports but to draw a distinction between the child murder as a fabrication versus 'real' murders is stupid. The child murder story is 100% plausible given what we know already.

So they weren't confirmed or supported in the same way as the others, but you have a gut feeling it might have happened based on something.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Why is the economy growing? I'm still unemployed as poo poo

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Anidav posted:

The economy has nothing to do with a country being functional or livable.

cogito ergo incommo
Apr 2, 2010

Anidav posted:

Housing will always go up!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Josh Frydenberg is gonna give a, press conference in an hour saying Australia is BACK.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Look at how successful Australia and its economy is!

Just ignore the under and unemployed pls.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Intoluene posted:

Australia's economy outperformed expectations as people were eager to get back to work!

Jobkeeper has to be dropped, otherwise people won't go back to work!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Intoluene posted:

We have a new directive from L.N.P. on this. In the future, in place of "underemployed," substitute the phrase "agile." Got it?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

JBP posted:

So they weren't confirmed or supported in the same way as the others, but you have a gut feeling it might have happened based on something.

After hearing about what's been happening, on the balance of probabilities, I'd believe it happened.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Anidav posted:

dead cat bounce

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anidav posted:

ive told you before, lose the face tatts.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Comstar posted:

After hearing about what's been happening, on the balance of probabilities, I'd believe it happened.

I would also believe there's a whole bunch of other poo poo that will come out in the future, plus some other poo poo that happened that we'll never, ever know about. Think how many would-be-whistleblowers are too scared or traumatised to ever say anything.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol we're projecting so hard.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Ok here's another post nobody asked for:-

Defence crimes and the China kerfuffle.

It's right there in the name. Defence means you defend yourself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/15214375#:~:text=In%20October%202001%2C%20the%20USA,with%20it%2C%20including%20the%20UK. posted:

Why was there a war?
During the time that the Taliban controlled Afghanistan, they allowed an organisation called al-Qaeda to have training camps there.

In September 2001, nearly 3,000 people were killed in the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The United States believed that Osama Bin Laden - who was the head of al-Qaeda - was the man behind these attacks.

There was a lot of international pressure on the Afghan leaders to hand over Osama Bin Laden. When the Taliban didn't do this, the United States decided they would use their armed forces.

In October 2001, the USA began bombing Afghanistan. They targeted bin Laden's al-Qaeda fighters and also the Taliban.

Is a good a summary as any as to why we were there in the first place. It is important to note that there as no UN resolution regarding this action by the US in Afghanistan and legitimising this action. Resolution 1386 came 2 months later and in no way legitimises the previous US action. The US Action was completely supported by ADF (operationally) from the very first bombing.

Personally I would have loved to have heard the ADF command trying to explain the war to ADF personnel as early as 2003. By then it was pretty clear that the actual terrorists were Saudi nationals and funded by Saudi Arabia, the squabble in Afghanistan served no worthwhile purpose and Bin Laden was in all likelihood not in the country. This is where the 'moral' problem for this war really looms large over the battle field. It is an unlawful unilateral action against a non-belligerent power and Australia has no end game. Our leaders in Canberra are lying sacks of poo poo who are clearly lying about our role and actions in Afghanistan. Come 2003 and the start of the second (Gods help us) illegal incursion, this time into Iraq, there is every reason as an ADF member to doubt that there are any truthful, non-shitheads at any level in the ranks of Defence shot callers. This war was popularly opposed by the largest protest in global history and was clearly founded on a pack of lies.

None the less our LNP and ALP governments saw fit to continue to deploy troops and resources to both conflicts despite the above. A loving decade in and Bin Laden is found and killed (in another country). Any talk of removing our troops who would quite rightly been wondering what the gently caress they were doing in Urazgan in the first place? Nope. We instead got 'poo poo happens' from our TA in Chief NTATA. The bellicose stance by all our political 'leaders' was so totally entrenched by this point that it took a full five years for the majority of our forces to be returned and all remaining activities returned to 'advisory roles'. 10 billion dollars well spent.

Either our leaders are so completely deluded about what war is that they are unfit to lead or they fully knew that sending troops to battle was going to be a massive, messy, bloody, damaging and irreparable matter. Each day an ADF member is put in harms way erodes their mental health, and each time they are personally the delivery system for lethal force it chips away at their humanity (unless they are a psychopath). Top that off with this conflict (and Iraq) being disgusting national moral boosting exercises from their inception and it is little wonder some of our defence personal acted badly. They themselves were being treated like animals. To see Morrison et al warble on like they were in no way responsible is sickening. The whole mess is their fault and was ultimate their decision and their responsibility. As a sidebar if the people responsible for sending our troops and continuing their deployment were unaware of the history of war in Afghanistan or the more recent events of the Australian involvement in Vietnam then that ignorance is their only defence. This whole mess was completely foreseeable. Large numbers of people foresaw it and shouted as loudly as they could BEFORE this poo poo went down. That means that our leaders have to also accept the uncomfortable reality that all this is their fault. That is at the heart of the matter.

Let's stop and look at things from an Afghani villager's point of view (If you can find one still alive). In 1978 the country was a 'republic' that was reasonably well developed and had a 'contemporary' urban culture and was largely safe and at peace. Since then the place has been turned in to a primitive backwater by the Russians and the US, with the US at first providing weapons and training for the Islamist extremists and, once the Russians were defeated, making war against them. Anyone who wears a US (or associated forces) uniform is not your friend and is certainly not in possession of the moral high ground.

Enter China. There was, perhaps, a time when Australia could claim some moral high ground and draw attention to other nation's governments about things like Tibet (et al). By 2003 we had pretty much extinguished any right to claim a moral position and were as deeply complicit in international crimes as any foreign despot. Maybe the numbers weren't as impressive but we are talking about matters of principle. The numbers ultimately don't count. Tampa, children overboard, Afghanistan, Iraq. The first two decades of this millennium Australia has basically sprayed itself with warm poo. On top of this we have played a ridiculous game of diplomatic (and indeed military) chicken with our major trading partner. And not even a smart one. It has been sound byte after sound byte serving no other purpose than domestic political advantage. We have been comprehensively out played in the Pacific and in most of South East Asia despite going into the millennium with a very strong hand. It has been a disaster. A complete and utter, foreseeable disaster.

When the Chinese can make us angry by telling the truth (or a very close facsimile) about our role as international war criminals then I personally would be going for a long hard stand in the room of mirrors rather than getting all shouty and trying to wait for it to all blow over. It won't. The damage is done.

But wait what about our moral high ground and strong democratic principles? Let me introduce Tudge and Co.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/dec/01/communications-minister-paul-fletcher-complains-to-abc-about-four-corners-program

quote:

Communications minister Paul Fletcher complains to ABC about Four Corners program

Minister asks Ita Buttrose why an episode which alleged inappropriate conduct by two ministers was considered newsworthy Amanda Meade Tue 1 Dec 2020 12.57 AEDTLast modified on Tue 1 Dec 2020 13.07 AEDT

The minister for communications Paul Fletcher has asked ABC chair Ita Buttrose if the Four Corners program which alleged inappropriate conduct by two ministers met the standards of accurate and impartial journalism. In a lengthy letter Fletcher posed 15 detailed questions and asked the board to explain why a “consensual relationship” between a politician and a staff member which took place before the so-called bonk ban was imposed in 2018 was considered newsworthy in the Four Corners program Inside the Canberra Bubble. In 2018 the then prime minister Malcolm Turnbull made sexual relationships between ministers and their staff a breach of the ministerial code. Fletcher made the letter public by posting it on Twitter, but avoided receiving responses by disabling replies to the tweet.

Referring to the ABC’s editorial policies, Fletcher asked why the personal lives of politicians are newsworthy and if it was justified to breach the privacy of the attorney general Christian Porter and frontbencher Alan Tudge. “Why does the board consider it is appropriate that the privacy of the Attorney General and Minister Tudge (the Ministers) should be compromised by the way in which the program deals extensively with aspects of their personal lives?” Fletcher wrote. “How is this consistent with the stated importance of respect for privacy in the code of practice, including whether intrusion into private lives was proportionate in the circumstances?”

The ABC had been under attack from the government over Inside the Canberra Bubble even before it aired in early October. The executive producer of Four Corners, Sally Neighbour, said “extreme and unrelenting” political pressure had been applied before the screening, and reporter Louise Milligan said pressure had been “applied by multiple representatives of government to ABC management”. Three weeks after the program aired the government has come back with a comprehensive attack, aiming the criticism at the board because managing director David Anderson told Senate estimates the program had been viewed by Buttrose.

Fletcher repeated an earlier criticism that the program investigated only one political party. “Why should an objective observer not conclude that the program evidenced clear bias against the Liberal party, with this bias evident in the choice of persons interviewed, the making of specific allegations in the face of clear factual denials, and the fact that the program failed to investigate or report on conduct engaged in by Labor, Greens or independent politicians?” he asked.

The program revealed that Turnbull confronted Porter in 2017 over allegations of inappropriate conduct with a young woman in a bar and warned him “the risk of compromise is very real”. The then prime minister went on to appoint Porter his attorney general a fortnight later. Porter has said the “depiction of interactions in the bar are categorically rejected”. Fletcher also asked why Porter’s antics while at university were relevant to the program or in the public interest. “How is it consistent with the code of practice’s reference to fair treatment and impartiality for the ABC to include in the program extensive materials regarding conduct over a quarter of a century ago by someone who was then a university student and even a school student?” he said. Fletcher said the woman referred to by Four Corners as being in the bar with the attorney general had “directly rebutted the allegation to Four Corners yet the program failed to report that”.

The program also detailed allegations by a female staffer who said she had an affair in 2017 with the then-human services minister Tudge. Fletcher has given the ABC board 14 days to respond.

The ABC has been approached for comment.

If this was reported as overreach by the Head of North Korea's government you might not be shocked. And yet here we are. No accountability, no truth to power and I see Gladys Berejiklian is still somehow NSW premier despite every week bring up a new career ending scandal that she somehow weathers. WTF Australia? Why did I ever think we were better than this?

MRB was sentenced to life imprisonment in 2005. In 2011 he was diagnosed cholangiocarcinoma, a form of liver cancer affecting the bile ducts. It was inoperable and is usually associated with a life expectancy of 12 months. He received palliative care for three years before dying in the palliative care unit of Townsville hospital on 25 February 2014 (Aged 57). The coroner found his healthcare was as good as it would have been outside of prison.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I'm banking on the "recession is over!" poo poo being a bubble propped up until the jobseeker/jobkeeper cutbacks kick in, then poo poo is going to hit the fan

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wasnt al-qaeda 100% fabricated by the FBI as a means to arrest osama bin laden retroactively for the 9/11 attacks?

and then, once america started shouting about it so much, the terrorists in afghanistan figured they were all part of the al-qaeda network and actually became a terrorist network?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Laserface posted:

Wasnt al-qaeda 100% fabricated by the FBI as a means to arrest osama bin laden retroactively for the 9/11 attacks?

and then, once america started shouting about it so much, the terrorists in afghanistan figured they were all part of the al-qaeda network and actually became a terrorist network?

No

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
We have had calls from our customers this week all requesting that we stop importing products from China.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

We have had calls from our customers this week all requesting that we stop importing products from China.

lol

what do you sell?