Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I don't think you understand, if I don't get the new console right now other people will play the games first and get a lead I'll never catch up to and then I'll never have the top gamerscore!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CommonShore posted:

To me the really funny thing about the scalping is that a) the easiest way to punish the scalpers is to simply wait and go without the thing for a short period of time, and b) every time one of these consoles launches the first production runs are poo poo anyway and they break all of the time.

There probably aren't even any loving games for the thing right now.

I don't know if it's true but my nephew told me the xbox was going to make sure all new games are backwards compatible to the older one for at least a year before transitioning to the new hardware exclusively. Which if true, what's the point?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I don't know if it's true but my nephew told me the xbox was going to make sure all new games are backwards compatible to the older one for at least a year before transitioning to the new hardware exclusively. Which if true, what's the point?

hype, is the point.

i was cured of hype at the 2005 comic con in san diego. picture a convention center the size of Ford field in Detroit filled with nothing but hype. hype for toys not out yet, shows not made yet, movies coming out in three years. why get whipped up in to a frenzy to buy something?

let hype go. your life will be much better and saner for it

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
why would any sane adult care about having to wait a few weeks or months before getting some stupid new gadget that does nothing revolutionary, or better yet, care at all

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

look I have to play ps5 Demon's souls now. otherwise I'll just get constantly ganked by invaders whenever I get around to playing it

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

CommonShore posted:

To me the really funny thing about the scalping is that a) the easiest way to punish the scalpers is to simply wait and go without the thing for a short period of time, and b) every time one of these consoles launches the first production runs are poo poo anyway and they break all of the time.

Legitimately, there are two games that people care about on the PS5 and both are remakes of old games. Demon's Souls (2009) and Spiderman (2018)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

a new study bible! posted:

Legitimately, there are two games that people care about on the PS5 and both are remakes of old games. Demon's Souls (2009) and Spiderman (2018)

We've entered the stage of capitalism where nothing is new. Everything has existed before and new entities are too expensive to make and present a higher risk on return on investment*.

*you can probably blame Anthem for this.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

a new study bible! posted:

And NBA 2k21. It was released on the PS4 in September and you have to buy a separate copy for the PS5 if you want the ~next-gen~ experience. The game isn't exactly the same, but it's still garbage!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CommonShore posted:

When the PS3 launched almost all of them wound up being resold, often to people who themselves were looking to resell them closer to Christmas in the hopes of prices getting even higher. What happened was that a week or two before Christmas all of the scalpers dumped them on the market at once and prices immediately plummeted because the number of people who wanted one to actually use was minuscule. They were basically selling for retail prices, which meant that the sellers often lost money on them since that didn't cover the sales tax, shipping and ebay fees.

Scalping Wiis was where it was at. They were still selling for significantly over retail during the holidays a year after launch.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I know this isn't the schadenfreude thread, but here's some scalpenfreude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR1A_FF7WNY

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Broke: wrecking a Target because Capitalism produces untenable living conditions

Woke: wrecking a Target for a PS5

these are the same thing

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

rofl

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

these are the same thing

HashtagGirlboss posted:

GRAPHICS!!! RAY TRACING!!! RTX!! FRAMES PER SECOND!! Think of the frames! You haven't thought of the frames, YOU BITCH!

(full disclosure: my ps4's hdmi port died and i am not buying a 4 to wait a year to drop a couple hundred more on a 5, so i'm on the hunt for a 5. exceptions, rules, blah blah blah)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i just upgraded my gaming pc and can now play my legally obtained videogames significantly better than even the newest consoles. console "gamers" should just get a switch and admit they're not real gamers until they built their own hardware and installed gentoo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

T-man posted:

i just upgraded my gaming pc and can now play my legally obtained videogames significantly better than even the newest consoles. console "gamers" should just get a switch and admit they're not real gamers until they built their own hardware and installed gentoo.

If you didn't whip the children mining the rare earths yourself, did you really build your own hardware?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
the switch is actually the only console for real gamers

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

a Loving Dog posted:

the switch is actually the only console for real gamers

Yes. Monster Hunter Next will allow you to experience the Tigrex Train on a train.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

T-man posted:

time traveler, listen closely: on september 29th, 2008 - the stock market is going to crash. get your money out and place puts on the dow and s&p 500. i know this sounds crazy but trust me. we are going to be rich

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

my fedora is my heat sink and i have replaced all my vital organs with mt dew bottles. i grow ever more powerful with every post on the internet and soon all your base will belong to me.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

The Bloop posted:

If you didn't whip the children mining the rare earths yourself, did you really build your own hardware?

Who's saying I didn't?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
i'm not a real gamer? thanks for the compliment

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Suspicious posted:

i'm not a real gamer? thanks for the compliment

name every video game that came out between september 1984 and october 1991

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Marx Was A Lib posted:

name every video game that came out between september 1984 and october 1991

mario

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

oh poo poo oh gently caress i wasn't expecting you to know, what do i do what do i do

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

controllers are an inferior input mechanism mouse and KB only.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

T-man posted:

controllers are an inferior input mechanism mouse and KB only.

i'm loathe to admit this but since moving from ps4 to a cloud pc i have felt at a loss that i can't put into words. i know how i want to make my guy move, but my hands don't know how to make him move that way with a trackball and keyboard

(gently caress a mouse, real computer touchers use a trackball)

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

true control can only be had with the red nub on a thinkpad

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Salean posted:

https://youtu.be/bB51NCcvuMs

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol gamers lose their poo poo about scalping but everything else that's bad about capitalism is ok by them

Going by MMO threads it's extremely cool and good to corner the market and the real villains are anyone who undercuts your monopoly.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Salean posted:

The closest thing to sex many a computer toucher will experience

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Going by MMO threads it's extremely cool and good to corner the market and the real villains are anyone who undercuts your monopoly.

I learned everything I need to know about capitalism from EVE Online

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/CourtofBlah/status/1333938354350678017

lol

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Lmaooooo

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
That'll get used as evidence in a murder trial someday

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

turns out they're an ineffectual tenants union that mostly does old people education on medicare and CPR training trying to do what little they can, with the rent decided on by the federal government

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Marx Was A Lib posted:

my ps4's hdmi port died and i am not buying a 4 to wait a year to drop a couple hundred more on a 5, so i'm on the hunt for a 5. exceptions, rules, blah blah blah

This is also good capitalism thread content because in a sensible world you would just take the console into a service shop to have the port replaced for some $ instead of thinking "oh gently caress I have to buy a brand new console".

unless you're just rationalising your purchase of a ps5 in which case, lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Weatherman posted:

This is also good capitalism thread content because in a sensible world you would just take the console into a service shop to have the port replaced for some $ instead of thinking "oh gently caress I have to buy a brand new console".

unless you're just rationalising your purchase of a ps5 in which case, lol

i mean, i'm not gonna say i'm not. i don't really have a lot of faith in the shops available to me around here given some of the past work I've had done. I sourced the part to replace the USB port on the controller myself, brought it to a place that came highly recommended and they did such a terrible job on that, I ended up going out and getting a set of jeweler's screwdrivers to do the drat thing myself. i'm definitely not taking anything that requires solder over there. none of the cell repair shops around me want to take a crack at it, either. i can check for and fix a bent pin, but it ain't that. replacing it myself is out because i don't do solder (i can burn the motherfuck out of a circuit board with a soldering iron though, ask every mouse i tried to replace the light to change the color in, i'll just piss myself off and call myself a stupid rear end in a top hat dumbass poo poo for brains for a week or so)

i'm certainly not threatening shopkeepers if they don't give me one, but if i'm in a somewhat stable place when somewhere restocks? yeah i'll grab one.

most games seem to be getting crossplay this gen anyway, so it's possible i might end up sticking with renting a cloud pc to game on with my friends if we can still play most games.

but that doesn't mean i'm not looking. y'know?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I usually check out of video games for long periods of time and then when my life slows down (breakups, corona virus) I get back in and it rules

I played Yakuza 0, last of us 1, breath of the wild and sekiro all fresh back to back in april-june, I had just seen people talking about them online and never even knew what they looked like

it ruled, and now I will wait another couple years when PS5s aren't buggy hardware failures and the good games have been sussed out

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Marx Was A Lib posted:

i mean, i'm not gonna say i'm not. i don't really have a lot of faith in the shops available to me around here given some of the past work I've had done. I sourced the part to replace the USB port on the controller myself, brought it to a place that came highly recommended and they did such a terrible job on that, I ended up going out and getting a set of jeweler's screwdrivers to do the drat thing myself. i'm definitely not taking anything that requires solder over there. none of the cell repair shops around me want to take a crack at it, either. i can check for and fix a bent pin, but it ain't that. replacing it myself is out because i don't do solder (i can burn the motherfuck out of a circuit board with a soldering iron though, ask every mouse i tried to replace the light to change the color in, i'll just piss myself off and call myself a stupid rear end in a top hat dumbass poo poo for brains for a week or so)

i'm certainly not threatening shopkeepers if they don't give me one, but if i'm in a somewhat stable place when somewhere restocks? yeah i'll grab one.

most games seem to be getting crossplay this gen anyway, so it's possible i might end up sticking with renting a cloud pc to game on with my friends if we can still play most games.

but that doesn't mean i'm not looking. y'know?

I have a full setup capable of doing reflow solder work, give it to me and I guarantee at least a 70% chance you get it back working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also only a 20% chance that it comes back full of cum, special offer!