Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Once you've smoked the trackpipe I'm not sure how you get out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

:lol:

Remember kids, track insurance might be worth it even if you're driving a turdbox of a car... also, it turns out that even if you have a dumb Miata it might be a lot more expensive than you figured if you need to reshell it or replace an expensive wing, two quarter panels, a door, bumper, headlight, headlight bucket, and chainlink fence.

Looking at roughly $6k all said and done. I hear COTA barriers are mega expensive.

drat dude, that's painful. I'm happy you're taking it all in stride though.

COTA will bend you over If you gently caress the track up. One of my buddies dropped some oil in two corners during Super Lap Battle in 2018, COTA officials slapped him with a $7,500 cleanup bill as soon as he returned to the pits. Thankfully he was able to get it widdled down to ~$1,500 before he left back to Colorado. Everyone in the paddock that day was basically told in no uncertain terms that you would be made an example of if you hosed the track up.

One of my driving instructors had a similar story while he was instructing BMW CCA. He said he was doing a ride-along when the drivers car blew an oil line. Apparently the dumbass finished his lap to make it back to the pits. Threw enough oil around to shut the track down for the rest of the day and was ultimately handed a bill that cost more than most people's homes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Once you've smoked the trackpipe

I still have yet to do A Proper Trackday but this seems like the best possible analogy. All I've done is Bondurant on someone else's dime or autocross on my own and there's still a nagging urge to do more.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Diametunim posted:

drat dude, that's painful. I'm happy you're taking it all in stride though.

COTA will bend you over If you gently caress the track up. One of my buddies dropped some oil in two corners during Super Lap Battle in 2018, COTA officials slapped him with a $7,500 cleanup bill as soon as he returned to the pits. Thankfully he was able to get it widdled down to ~$1,500 before he left back to Colorado. Everyone in the paddock that day was basically told in no uncertain terms that you would be made an example of if you hosed the track up.

One of my driving instructors had a similar story while he was instructing BMW CCA. He said he was doing a ride-along when the drivers car blew an oil line. Apparently the dumbass finished his lap to make it back to the pits. Threw enough oil around to shut the track down for the rest of the day and was ultimately handed a bill that cost more than most people's homes.

Holy gently caress, that is insanity.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I still have yet to do A Proper Trackday but this seems like the best possible analogy. All I've done is Bondurant on someone else's dime or autocross on my own and there's still a nagging urge to do more.

Stay away, I purposely don't add the numbers up :v:

Realistically, I got sucked into the competitive hole and my entire IRL friend circle is pretty much in the same boat.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 4, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I remember being quoted like $1,000/foot for the guardrails at COTA

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

This is from a 2017 NASA event at COTA

https://nasatx.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/COTA-Supp-Regs.pdf

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BlackMK4 posted:

Stay away, I purposely don't add the numbers up :v:
Historically $500-600 per track day for me (ex insurance and car depreciation)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

got off on a technicality posted:

Historically $500-600 per track day for me (ex insurance and car depreciation)

That sounds like a very low number to me. Registration fees and fuel alone are at least half that, so I'm not sure how you were doing that in a Porsche/Lambo unless you're not counting consumables or literally wore / broke nothing.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BlackMK4 posted:

That sounds like a very low number to me. Registration fees and fuel alone are at least half that, so I'm not sure how you were doing that in a Porsche/Lambo unless you're not counting consumables or literally wore / broke nothing.

In the Cayman, cheap tires (Hankook V12s) every 6 days, cheap blank rotors and Pagid Blues, being conservative, and literally not ever breaking anything. I once hosed up a front tire and that's literally it

e: I expect the Lambo to be multiples; we'll find out soon

e2: I forgot, a colleague hooked me up with the friends and family rate at his buddy's shop

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 5, 2020

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

This. I'm actually considering buying a Spec Racer Ford or something now. Good thing I don't have kids.

Also, on the track damage topic, this is what I love about Thunderhill. If you actually manage to damage anything you shouldn't have been there in the first place. As long as you respond immediately and appropriately to black flags and meatballs they won't slap you, or at least I've never heard of anyone getting a bill for anything.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I had a friend call me a track dealer before.

He had a serious problem, and I was profiting from it so...

It's weird that I aspired to be in his place though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

got off on a technicality posted:

In the Cayman, cheap tires (Hankook V12s) every 6 days, cheap blank rotors and Pagid Blues, being conservative, and literally not ever breaking anything. I once hosed up a front tire and that's literally it

e: I expect the Lambo to be multiples; we'll find out soon

e2: I forgot, a colleague hooked me up with the friends and family rate at his buddy's shop

Yeah, that makes a little bit more sense in context. I can determine my general numbers since I spreadsheet most of my financial data, I just conveniently leave this out.

Joe Mama posted:

This. I'm actually considering buying a Spec Racer Ford or something now. Good thing I don't have kids.

Also, on the track damage topic, this is what I love about Thunderhill. If you actually manage to damage anything you shouldn't have been there in the first place. As long as you respond immediately and appropriately to black flags and meatballs they won't slap you, or at least I've never heard of anyone getting a bill for anything.

I actually wadded an R6 up at Thunderhill during a goon trackday maybe four or five years ago (lost the front into 3 trying to baby slicks to warm them up in cold/drizzle on maybe the second lap out) :v: I don't remember there being much to hit unless you somehow get super out of shape on the haybale corner along the back side of the pits and go into the wall. I could definitely see things getting interesting with the elevation change if the manned station count is down.

honda whisperer posted:

I had a friend call me a track dealer before.

He had a serious problem, and I was profiting from it so...

It's weird that I aspired to be in his place though.
:lol: you were doing it right.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 5, 2020

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Someone, I don't know who is behind it, is building a new track near Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. They've posted some pics and the layout looks awesome but it looks awful narrow and doesn't seem to have much runoff. They haven't shared any info regarding width, curbs, will it be up to SCCA/FIA etc specs.

Hopefully it works out, I would love to have an actual road course around here.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Yeah, seems kinda narrow. Passing in turns will be tough and they really will need to add runoff space for when the inevitable side swipe runs a car off at high speed. Seems like a good track though and I would imagine that if you're putting this much money out there to build a track that it'll be up to spec for as many sanctioning bodies as possible.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 27, 2020

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The elevation changes look like it will be a gorgeous course

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Compared to Palmer, a similar big elevation change track in the hills/mountains, it looks like miles of runoff! Agree that what's visible seems really narrow though.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

They posted this today, I'm starting to get hype. I'm so bored with the roval in St Louis.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
I love the look and idea of tracks with lots of elevation changes, but I've found after tracking on Barber that I can't handle them. Five laps in and I'm white as a sheet going into the pits to not puke.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Curious about the scale of those hairpins; just one of those "how many really slow corners do you need" thing to me, but it's not obvious from the map.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Track looks awesome, hope it all works out as well as it looks. This caught my eye though

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mekilljoydammit posted:

Curious about the scale of those hairpins; just one of those "how many really slow corners do you need" thing to me, but it's not obvious from the map.

I ran a private track in Arizona called Apex Motor Club for the first time a couple of weeks ago, it also has this kind of thing.

Bottom track, top isn't built yet. 8-9-10-11 all feel kind of weird and designed to extend lap time or something. Cool track otherwise and has some elevation change, IDK about $40k + $5k/yr for the base membership though.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Some more deets

https://www.lakeexpo.com/real_estat...BC-OAPtPr3LM7rg

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

BlackMK4 posted:

Bottom track, top isn't built yet. 8-9-10-11 all feel kind of weird and designed to extend lap time or something. Cool track otherwise and has some elevation change, IDK about $40k + $5k/yr for the base membership though.

Trying to appeal to autocrossers? IDK.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

User Error posted:

They posted this today, I'm starting to get hype. I'm so bored with the roval in St Louis.

This is Palmer, it's got a similar shape in that it's got two sets of "hairpins" at one end and a high speed section at the other:

There's quite a bit of elevation that isn't evident from the map, this is a good angle of it (not me):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xRlPvnSxNM

It doesn't make me nauseous though, just pants making GBS threads from the lack of runoff.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
looks like that place took notes from the dominion track that went up a few years ago with the jersey barriers butting up against the track

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Gigi Galli posted:

This is Palmer, it's got a similar shape in that it's got two sets of "hairpins" at one end and a high speed section at the other:

There's quite a bit of elevation that isn't evident from the map, this is a good angle of it (not me):

It doesn't make me nauseous though, just pants making GBS threads from the lack of runoff.

Palmer is very cool but scary. I did a track day there and it rained, and a guy driving an LS swapped FC RX7 hit some standing water and slid off at the end of the front straight (we were driving CCW) and went sideways, off the track, through the grass, and between the tire wall and rock wall. He was super lucky, twenty feet in either direction and it would have not been pretty. Club Motorsports in Tamworth is similar but feels a bit safer as it’s wider and has some runoff.

Speaking of Club Motorsports and others like it, what is the appeal of joining unless you really have gently caress you money? It seems like if you amortized the cost of the initiation fee and yearly dues for the max number of track days you get across like five years of membership, it comes out to the same cost as just doing regular track days with any other group or club, but then you have the flexibility of skipping an event or a whole year, and also going to different tracks. For example, if you joined Club motorsports at the bronze level, and you did ten track days a year for five years, you’d pay about 475 per track day. But through Masstuning it’s 350 per event, sometimes with a discount.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

i own every Bionicle posted:

Speaking of Club Motorsports and others like it, what is the appeal of joining unless you really have gently caress you money? It seems like if you amortized the cost of the initiation fee and yearly dues for the max number of track days you get across like five years of membership, it comes out to the same cost as just doing regular track days with any other group or club, but then you have the flexibility of skipping an event or a whole year, and also going to different tracks. For example, if you joined Club motorsports at the bronze level, and you did ten track days a year for five years, you’d pay about 475 per track day. But through Masstuning it’s 350 per event, sometimes with a discount.

There were about 10 cars there when I went, including my friend and I that were guested in. It felt like a country club for people into motorsports, you pitted in the hot pit and there were people to check tire pressure / clean your windscreen / leaf blower your radiator / etc.

Person that guested us in has a membership through his dad, who owns a large residential development company. They were joking about taking the jet to another local member track.

Was talking to another guy, found out after that he is the LA Dodgers bench coach. Another guy was an ex-Indy Car driver. Apparently one of the Waltons frequently shows up with multiple semi trucks with disgustingly expensive vintage race cars and beats the absolute poo poo out of them.

Basically everyone involved has gently caress you money to varying degrees. My $25k Miata and my friend's $35k Exige S260 were probably the running cost for the day for one of the guys that was running a legit LMP car with a crew.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Another guy was an ex-Indy Car driver.

There's a surprising number of those in the Phoenix / Scottsdale area.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's a surprising number of those in the Phoenix / Scottsdale area.

Seems so, I went to school with Luyendyk's daughter and met him before I knew anything about him :rip:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

I only got to ride along at Palmer but it definitely seemed scary af. There's one part that really feels like you're on a Japanese togue which is awesome but also not exactly what I want on a race track.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

I ran a private track in Arizona called Apex Motor Club for the first time a couple of weeks ago, it also has this kind of thing.

That looks fun to me, more tight turns the better but I have a slow car and really enjoy auto x. Not that I could ever afford there anyway but more racetracks in AZ is a good thing.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Palmer is very cool but scary. I did a track day there and it rained, and a guy driving an LS swapped FC RX7 hit some standing water and slid off at the end of the front straight (we were driving CCW) and went sideways, off the track, through the grass, and between the tire wall and rock wall. He was super lucky, twenty feet in either direction and it would have not been pretty. Club Motorsports in Tamworth is similar but feels a bit safer as it’s wider and has some runoff.

I was there when it was raining too, I drove like a grandma for the first session and thankfully it cleared up by afternoon. There is a puddle near the start/finish which is dangerously close to the braking zone for turn one. As far as I could tell that was the only buildup outside of the usual curbing-pavement connections.

It’s a fun track and I want to go again but definitely a real butt clencher. I’m still not at 100% for most of the track.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

There were about 10 cars there when I went, including my friend and I that were guested in. It felt like a country club for people into motorsports, you pitted in the hot pit and there were people to check tire pressure / clean your windscreen / leaf blower your radiator / etc.

Person that guested us in has a membership through his dad, who owns a large residential development company. They were joking about taking the jet to another local member track.

Was talking to another guy, found out after that he is the LA Dodgers bench coach. Another guy was an ex-Indy Car driver. Apparently one of the Waltons frequently shows up with multiple semi trucks with disgustingly expensive vintage race cars and beats the absolute poo poo out of them.

Basically everyone involved has gently caress you money to varying degrees. My $25k Miata and my friend's $35k Exige S260 were probably the running cost for the day for one of the guys that was running a legit LMP car with a crew.

I have a friend who lives up there and she says it sucks to have this world class track there that the locals can’t afford to go to. Apparently it’s a common sentiment up there.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Gigi Galli posted:

I have a friend who lives up there and she says it sucks to have this world class track there that the locals can’t afford to go to. Apparently it’s a common sentiment up there.

Yeah supposedly they hate it. They don’t want people coming in and making noise/having fun in their cute little bedroom community (after hearing about the track for years and giving them all the permits). As someone who likes doing fun, occasionally noises stuff outside in New England this sentiment is quite common. We were instructed to not drive like assholes when leaving but that should go without saying and we hear that everywhere.

I mean there aren’t races there to go watch but track days are no more than any other top tier track in New England.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 2, 2020

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

That's better than Spring Mountain in Pahrump, NV. Last I heard it was $60k/$6k.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Joe Mama posted:

That's better than Spring Mountain in Pahrump, NV. Last I heard it was $60k/$6k.

SM is nice enough to allow club events though, unless that has changed or is different for cars versus motorcycles. I ran SM with TrackXperience back in 2016 so I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they've locked it down by now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

These places don't care about anything but people with 'gently caress you' levels of money. I've ran Atlanta Motorsport Park a few times as well as Autobahn Country Club, both great tracks. I suppose if I lived super close and had the money it would be convenient to pop down once a week and run some laps but personally I'd rather spend the money on a toy hauler and run tracks all over the country. Autobahn is a sweet setup though with condos on site so you can go run around whenever you want. Several of the 'members only' track will have a couple track days a year open to anyone or like AMP they have an on site shop that sells test and tune days.

Finally called it and packed away the FF1600 and all my race gear for the season. Was planning on running Roebling next weekend but I can't justify the risk and I don't think I'm in good enough shape health wise to do it without wiping myself out for a week or more. SCCA was nice enough to extend my license for 2020 this spring but I'm not sure if they'll do it again so I might be finding another race school in the spring. Some day I'll get to run this dang car.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

NitroSpazzz posted:

These places don't care about anything but people with 'gently caress you' levels of money. I've ran Atlanta Motorsport Park a few times as well as Autobahn Country Club, both great tracks. I suppose if I lived super close and had the money it would be convenient to pop down once a week and run some laps but personally I'd rather spend the money on a toy hauler and run tracks all over the country. Autobahn is a sweet setup though with condos on site so you can go run around whenever you want. Several of the 'members only' track will have a couple track days a year open to anyone or like AMP they have an on site shop that sells test and tune days.

Finally called it and packed away the FF1600 and all my race gear for the season. Was planning on running Roebling next weekend but I can't justify the risk and I don't think I'm in good enough shape health wise to do it without wiping myself out for a week or more. SCCA was nice enough to extend my license for 2020 this spring but I'm not sure if they'll do it again so I might be finding another race school in the spring. Some day I'll get to run this dang car.

I ran Autobahn at Gridlife a couple years back. Besides being murderously hot (august? I think), it was an amazing weekend. Got to run the track in all 3 configurations. If I was a rich dude in IL, I would have a membership for sure, the varied layouts are interesting and the track felt very safe, similar to gingerman in that almost all common runoff areas were spacious grass fields.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKujOCQMiiQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
These are Hoosiers now right?