Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Trevor Hale posted:

I’ve absolutely had this happen as well. The numbers when declaring a war are in no way representative of what the war will be. Going to war against an independent county in the early game and all of a sudden they’re dropping 10k troops on me with no alliances at the time of declaration

I mean, on one hand I think it should be absolutely fine to seek alliances when you get wardecced, and if that means a surprise for the declarer, so be it - spare siblings/children are as much of a weapon as armies and it's something you should check for before thinking someone is easy prey.

On the other hand, invalidating an alliance by, say, murdering said spare relative while the war is going on doesn't seem to pull that ally out of the war and it feels like it should. At the very least, when I seize a province that's the target of another war against the hapless independent count I've just dispossesed (and so inherit the war), I shouldn't (necessarily?) also inherit that newly homeless dude's defensive allies in that war.

Magil Zeal posted:

Edit: It certainly doesn't help that if I, say, organize the list by age and in descending order, when I click on a candidate and then remove that candidate because it's incestuous, my organization disappears and it's again organized by "relevance". Ugh.

This part is why my number 1 desired QoL change is to Bring Back Saved Character Search Filters Already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

For some reason the only sound I can hear in game is screaming and flames.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

am I in hell?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Happens for me when an event happens in the middle of a siege that ends a war. The pop up for the event seems to lock the sound in place. I usually just exit the game and come back, though I’ve found getting in *another* war and winning a siege will fix it.

Also, yeah y’all are right about the surprises re: wardecs. This is my third play through now and I’m just noticing things that didn’t happen in my first two games

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Trevor Hale posted:

I’ve absolutely had this happen as well. The numbers when declaring a war are in no way representative of what the war will be. Going to war against an independent county in the early game and all of a sudden they’re dropping 10k troops on me with no alliances at the time of declaration
The AI can definitely hire a bunch of mercenaries if they have the money.

Although yeah the troops summary seems a little broken.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So I'm going for the Mother of Us All achievement. I've managed to form the empire of Kanem-Bornu. If I understand it correctly, under confederate partition, if I expand far enough into other de jure empires, those titles will be created for my heirs when I die, and that will split my realm. So it's probably not a good idea to do that until I can at least upgrade to normal partition, right? Which is gonna take a very long time by the looks of it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That will happen, but that's not the right conclusion. When your empire splits you'll get claims on the top level title that splits off, making it real easy to go take them them back.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 1, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Also, forming an empire takes 80% of its land; it's pretty hard to get that much by accident.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Be aware that if you try to game the system by riding that line, that territory entering your primary empire title via de jure drift might change the proportion you own!

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Dallan Invictus posted:

I mean, on one hand I think it should be absolutely fine to seek alliances when you get wardecced, and if that means a surprise for the declarer, so be it - spare siblings/children are as much of a weapon as armies and it's something you should check for before thinking someone is easy prey.
I would argue there should be a large penalty though, if someone is marrying into a war.

THE BAR posted:

Declaring on people in this game is a complete crapshoot. The AI can immediately ally and drag in people you'd have no idea were even on the table. Attacking a guy with 700 units suddenly means facing 5K, and no, I didn't miss any allies. Ridiculous.
I've also noticed that if you are going to war with someone who has the same ally as you, even if you keep the game paused when declaring war, and then ask that ally to join, the enemy will be able to pull that ally in on their side before you (once you unpause).

Fister Roboto posted:

So I'm going for the Mother of Us All achievement. I've managed to form the empire of Kanem-Bornu. If I understand it correctly, under confederate partition, if I expand far enough into other de jure empires, those titles will be created for my heirs when I die, and that will split my realm. So it's probably not a good idea to do that until I can at least upgrade to normal partition, right? Which is gonna take a very long time by the looks of it.
It's going to take a long time, if you're not using exploits, to convert all of africa to your religion. Especially now that "demand conversion" doesn't convert the ruler's county. So yeah, your options are either:

1) Take enough land that you only have ~75% of each surrounding empire (and use high or absolute crown authority to stop your vassals taking more, whichever one it was) until you get Partition.
2) Do what PittTheElder said, and just take as much as you want, and use your claims to easily take it back upon succession.
3) Give excess lands to independent rulers before succeeding so you're not having to fight/possibly kill your dynasty members?

2 is probably the proper way to play, but I did it with method 1 and still got the cheevo by 1295.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
Is reforming the Roman Empire as Byzantium kicking you from primogeniture to confederate partition intended behavior?
I just had an iron man campaign ruined by not noticing the inheritance change until it was too late. I'm sure the decision will get overhauled by the inevitable Byzantine DLC but it's a super unfun surprise right now :(

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Reveilled posted:

The hardest thing about dealing with huge peasant revolts is finding the stack that has the leader of the rebellion in it. If you destroy that stack you've got very good odds of capturing the leader which insta-ends the revolt.

The hardest part for me when I have a huge kingdom is finding a peasant army that decided to leave the country for a few months or a year, usually on a fleet of ships. Moving the leader to another army if you defeat their stack would help a lot imo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

That will happen, but that's not the right conclusion. When your empire splits you'll get claims on the top level title that splits off, making it real easy to go take them them back.

Well I wouldn't call fighting another empire "easy", and even then it still puts a limit on how far I can expand, because splitting into 3 or 4 empires would be a nightmare.

I think I'll just sit tight for a few generations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Just siege their capital and hope the RNG lets you insta-win by capping the warleader...

In my own Kanem-Bornu game the Arabian capital was right across the Gate of Tears from me, easy 28-day wars

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 2, 2020

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I just released a 1 day old infant from my prison on the condition that he converts to catholicism. Naturally the dumb baby caved into my demands

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Well I wouldn't call fighting another empire "easy", and even then it still puts a limit on how far I can expand, because splitting into 3 or 4 empires would be a nightmare.

I think I'll just sit tight for a few generations.

:shrug: If you have your MaA setup, which you should by the time you have an Empire title, it's pretty much the same as fighting anyone else.

That said you can also just keep yourself on the frontier and then marry back into titles you've left behind, as it were.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just siege their capital and hope the RNG lets you insta-win by capping the warleader...

In my own Kanem-Bornu game the Arabian capital was right across the Gate of Tears from me, easy 28-day wars

I found out that this strategy highly depends on the warleader's martial. If the warleader has 7 or less martial, they'll stay at home. If they have 8 or more martial, they'll lead their armies, and you'll need to stackwipe them to have a decent shot at capturing them.

Also, why the heck does imprisoning people cost 100 piety? It's so weird to look at a list of criminals and be like, "I guess I gotta let them go, don't wanna lose 10 years of piety income"

scaterry fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 2, 2020

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So I contributed like 95% of a crusade victory, including taking Jerusalem itself and the entire kingdom goes to a dude that didn't even fight. I also couldn't nominate myself as the beneficiary in the planning phase. Did I go and win it all for some other rando?

If so, how do I not do that? I'm a french duke and saw this as my chance to become an independent king. I feel like nothing about how this played out was remotely explained in that singular war ended screen.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You can't ever nominate yourself because your beneficiary has to be unlanded, and not in line to inherit anything.

The system is bad.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

PittTheElder posted:

You can't ever nominate yourself because your beneficiary has to be unlanded, and not in line to inherit anything.

The system is bad.

Uhhhh, that's utter loving garbage and not explained at all that I saw. Is there any way to get the kingdom at all or do I just see if I can reload older saves and just gently caress off out of the crusade?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If you can reload your game from a couple months back, you can select a beneficiary of your dynasty, and then it will give you the option of transitioning to that character if they get granted the main title. But especially in the early game, typically the only characters that are unlanded and not able to inherit anything are women, so you'd better hope you did some matrilineal marriages for them.

A much more sensible option would see characters fighting for themselves and then giving up their lands at home if they accept the title, but like I said, the Great Holy War system is bad.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

:shrug: If you have your MaA setup, which you should by the time you have an Empire title, it's pretty much the same as fighting anyone else.

That said you can also just keep yourself on the frontier and then marry back into titles you've left behind, as it were.

Nah I think I'll just play the game the way I want to play it :)

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The Holy War system was clearly setup to mimic the creation of the Crusaders states - i.e. non-inheriting nobility ending up the administrators of the conquered areas. No actual ruler would choose to give up their historical holdings.

CK3 is a bit too strict since almost everyone's in partition, so everyone's inheriting and thus ineligible by their rules. Plus I think they also want to avoid a crusader state inheriting back land in their hometowns. Really should loosen things & only have the restrictions on the first couple of heirs, and also flag non-inheritance for the old titles.

Also it doesn't tend to be a big deal after one or two generations, when you'll have plenty of more distant members to select (and then dynastic claim back in the future if you want your overseas empire).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 2, 2020

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Canopus250 posted:

Uhhhh, that's utter loving garbage and not explained at all that I saw. Is there any way to get the kingdom at all or do I just see if I can reload older saves and just gently caress off out of the crusade?

The cheese method is to disinherit your heir (temporarily) and name them as your beneficiary. When you win the crusade, re-inherit them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

lurksion posted:

The Holy War system was clearly setup to mimic the creation of the Crusaders states - i.e. non-inheriting nobility ending up the administrators of the conquered areas. No actual ruler would choose to give up their historical holdings.

Tell that to Godfrey, Duke of Lorraine; Baldwin, Count of Verdun; Raymond, Count of Toulouse, Duke of Narbonne, and Margrave of Provence; and Bohemond, Prince of Taranto.

Baldwin's control of Verdun was extremely transitory but still

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 2, 2020

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

I have a grand daughter who would be cool to play as in that game. I just have to hope that there are enough autosaves to roll back to. I'm blown away that there isn't a scenario where a lower than king character can't effectively transfer their realm to the crusades target. It 100% feels like a change to make things harder and less fun for the player.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is friendly counsel busted?? I know it got capped but I’m getting nothing from it despite having five friends.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Is friendly counsel busted?? I know it got capped but I’m getting nothing from it despite having five friends.

It won't work with pre-patch saves, if that's what you're doing.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I heard that there was fuckiness with pre-patch saves, so I started a fresh game. Still busted.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

I’m truly not seeing it work at all. I wrote down my numbers before selecting the perk and nothing changed. The children bonus a few steps down the ladder gives you a pop up if you max out. Friendly counsel isn’t doing that.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Trevor Hale posted:

I’m truly not seeing it work at all. I wrote down my numbers before selecting the perk and nothing changed. The children bonus a few steps down the ladder gives you a pop up if you max out. Friendly counsel isn’t doing that.

We've found some additional weirdness with Friendly Counsel and its ilk (in no small part thanks to this thread) and are investigating!

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Canopus250 posted:

So I contributed like 95% of a crusade victory, including taking Jerusalem itself and the entire kingdom goes to a dude that didn't even fight. I also couldn't nominate myself as the beneficiary in the planning phase. Did I go and win it all for some other rando?

Yes. And that rando's name is JESUS CHRIST

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mune, the bug where your spymaster can snitch on himself is still around in 1.2.1:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

That's the best bug though.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Yeah honestly I laugh every single time it makes me think of the Spiderman pointing at Spiderman image.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
What's the best way to keep neices/nephews at my court so I can dictate who they marry their genius selves to?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Started a new game as William the Conqueror.

Steamrolled both Harolds (Hardråde and Cool Ranch)

Conquered Wales and half of Ireland before kicking the bucket.

However all my sons died before me and now I'm playing as my albino grandson only the problem is I switched over to English culture but my grandson is still Norman for some reason and the option to convert is no longer there. I guess I could convert to my capitals culture but that's Anglo-Saxon.

Now nobody likes me and there's a decent sized revolt.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

What's the best way to keep neices/nephews at my court so I can dictate who they marry their genius selves to?

You can give them a job. Knights rarely leave, and I think anyone can be appointed court physician and they never leave.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

tgacon posted:

Yes. And that rando's name is JESUS CHRIST

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Squiggle posted:

Yeah honestly I laugh every single time it makes me think of the Spiderman pointing at Spiderman image.

Keep the bug, but just change the poses to be pointing at each other in the event that the spymaster and target are the same person.