Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

spunkshui posted:

Why are you buying a 3090 if money matters to you?

It’s basically a graphics card designed for people that don’t think about money.

It’s barely better than a 3080 for like twice the cost.

Clearly money doesn’t matter that much to me, but my inner Dave Ramsey comes out to guilt me anytime I make luxury purchases.

That said, I game at 4K and want more than 10GB VRAM, and with availability as it is, I doubt a hypothetical 3080 Ti would be available anytime before March. So, 3090 it is! :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

air- posted:

Right, the 1030 is the only thing actually in stock :smithcloud:

Man, I did a little searching around after I posted and it is grim out there. 1030 should be a solid card to hold you over for a while at least.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Enos Cabell posted:

Man, I did a little searching around after I posted and it is grim out there. 1030 should be a solid card to hold you over for a while at least.

Well fortunately my system already has a GTX 970, like I'm hoping getting a 3000 series card through the EVGA step up program would be relatively painless vs trying to fight bots.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

What's the chance of a non-microcenter buy of a 3060 this month? Feeling kinda dumb with my recently purchased 2060 after looking at those benchmarks

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Checked the MicroCenter 3060 stock online in Philly a few times around lunch. They had ~50 cards listed in stock at 11 AM, 10 cards by 1 PM, no cards by 5 PM.

Newegg's drop tonight on the 3070/3060 still appear to be seconds rather than minutes, even with the random bundles.

Here's to hoping Gigabyte PSUs are pretty good!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
lower end nvidia shouldn't be too far behind the 3060ti, right? (release date)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Seamonster posted:

No way in hell. Better guess is they may be evicting most of the GPU from the SoC for whatever bizzare reason (make it bigger) but keeping few CUs in there for background/systems processes. That technically counts as 2 GPUs.

multi-gpu in consoles is a game of chicken i think, both sony and microsoft would like to do it for the cost savings, but only if the competition does it too so all gamedevs are forced to fully invest in that model

if only one company goes multi-gpu it'll end up like the ps3/cell

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
how would multi-GPU be a cost savings?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

two small-ish GPU dies have better yields than a gigantic monolithic one

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

two small-ish GPU dies have better yields than a gigantic monolithic one

oh yeah okay that makes sense

I never got into the whole SLI/Crossfire gimmick when it was still as feasible as it ever got so I wouldn't mind if it became A Thing again

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Its still not really feasible apparently, which is why AMD/Nvidia/Intel all haven't done it this generation despite all talking about it for years by this point. The hang up is supposedly the memory controller and latencies IIRC.

Eventually they will all go MCM as process improvement dies (which is sooner than we probably think), but it is apparently not quite ready for prime time yet.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

transparent MCM GPUs are still hard, yeah, but consoles could just go with two independent GPUs and force devs to deal with it manually

they probably won't, but they could

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh wait they'd have to double up the VRAM to do that and it would cancel out most/all of the cost benefit

nevermind

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Isn’t Hopper rumored to be MCM based?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Space Racist posted:

Isn’t Hopper rumored to be MCM based?

I havent seen a solid rumor about it yet, but its possible. That would put it roughly 2 years out for the consumer market... if it is even a consumer part.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Wanna thank thread denizen Cygni for hooking me up with a 3080 FTW3 from his EVGA queue! I owe you a local treat, I have to go on a work trip so if I can’t send something in time I’ll have my wife do it.

It was a huge PITA shoving it into an NCASE M1 but I managed to make it fit. Now I need to find an SFX PSU that has three PCI-E cables.

I’ll be passing my EVGA queue cards to people on this thread like he did, on a first come first serve basis when I receive the EVGA email notification.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That looks like an absolute nightmare to deal with

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Animal posted:

Wanna thank thread denizen Cygni for hooking me up with a 3080 FTW3 from his EVGA queue! I owe you a local treat, I have to go on a work trip so if I can’t send something in time I’ll have my wife do it.

It was a huge PITA shoving it into an NCASE M1 but I managed to make it fit. Now I need to find an SFX PSU that has three PCI-E cables.

I’ll be passing my EVGA queue cards to people on this thread like he did, on a first come first serve basis when I receive the EVGA email notification.

Wow, they solved GPU sag!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

change my name posted:

Wow, they solved GPU sag!

Yes, never imagined I would ever have the opposite problem!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol what're the temps on that

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

shrike82 posted:

lol what're the temps on that

Quite good actually. Stabilizes at around 70°C.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Animal posted:

That crazy son of a bitch he did it.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

If you have a card with 3 power slots, and your PSU only has 2, can you hook one cable up to two slots? And if so, which slots on the GPU do you hook the split cable into?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Animal posted:

hell yeah brudder! incredible that it fits that perfectly.

I cant tell which PSU youve got, but you might be able to get away with a splitter on one of the 8 pins if its something nicer and you arent gonna be goosing it with overclocking. The last two 8 pins tend to draw less progressively less power than the first.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers
Tried installing the 3060 tonight and the driver won’t install fully. It gets about 1/6 of the way through, goes black for a second, then jumps straight to saying it completed, then keeps intermittently going black for a second and popping up a Windows alert that says “Force to reinstall graphics driver” and clicking that does nothing.

I tried taking the card all the way back out and reinstalling it (I have a Silverstone SFF case so it’s kind of a bitch to do), but it’s still happening. Do I have a bum card? Did springing for the Micro Center protection plan actually pay off?

EDIT: I put my 1070 back in and it started right up, recognizing the 457.51 driver. Looks like the answer to my above questions are a resounding “yes”.

twxabfn fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 3, 2020

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

twxabfn posted:

Tried installing the 3060 tonight and the driver won’t install fully. It gets about 1/6 of the way through, goes black for a second, then jumps straight to saying it completed, then keeps intermittently going black for a second and popping up a Windows alert that says “Force to reinstall graphics driver” and clicking that does nothing.
Try running a driver sweeper before anything else. The default uninstaller actually leaves behind a lot of junk that can cause problems when you change cards.
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Animal posted:

But is it louder than 20dB?

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Try running a driver sweeper before anything else. The default uninstaller actually leaves behind a lot of junk that can cause problems when you change cards.
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I did that first, in safe mode, before d/l and trying the install of the new driver. Was with the 3060 in there, but I doubt that matters.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If you had the choice between a Founder's Edition 3060 Ti or an MSI 3070 Ventus 3X OC, which would you choose?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That’s just literally just asking how much money you want to spend.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s just literally just asking how much money you want to spend.

My friend already has both in his possession, but doesn't know which one he wants to keep and which one to return. I told him the 3060 is probably better value wise.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

you keep the faster card for more frames

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

If you have a card with 3 power slots, and your PSU only has 2, can you hook one cable up to two slots? And if so, which slots on the GPU do you hook the split cable into?

Yes you can. It doesn't matter, it pulls from them equally.

That being said, you probably shouldn't be using a PSU low end enough to only have 2 8 pin cables for a 3080 that needs 3 connectors.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Each cable pushes 150w plus 75w off the PCI slot. You wont need over 375w unless you are doing some heavy overclocking which you won’t get away with the stock cooler, beefy as it may be.

I undervolt so all of that is moot.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sagebrush posted:

admittedly with all the scalping going on a 3090 is currently about 15% better than a 3080 for only about 25% more cost

This was pretty much my reasoning.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sphyre posted:

you keep the faster card for more frames

I guess it's up to him if he thinks ~10+ FPS is worth the extra $150ish or so.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

teagone posted:

I guess it's up to him if he thinks ~10+ FPS is worth the extra $150ish or so.

Since GPU pricing defies all laws of anything just remind him he will be able to get $50 more than he has paid now in 2022 when 4000 series gpus come out.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Yes you can. It doesn't matter, it pulls from them equally.

That being said, you probably shouldn't be using a PSU low end enough to only have 2 8 pin cables for a 3080 that needs 3 connectors.

Minus the 3080 (because lol not happening anytime soon) I've got a Silverstone SX700-PT SFX PSU, and it only has two PCI-E "slots" on the unit itself, with each cable terminating in a splitter. It isn't what I'd consider a low-end PSU (700 watt platinum), certainly not price-wise lol.

Do you think this would be fine with a 3080 with 3 8-pin slots should I luck out and actually manage to get one?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Minus the 3080 (because lol not happening anytime soon) I've got a Silverstone SX700-PT SFX PSU, and it only has two PCI-E "slots" on the unit itself, with each cable terminating in a splitter. It isn't what I'd consider a low-end PSU (700 watt platinum), certainly not price-wise lol.

Do you think this would be fine with a 3080 with 3 8-pin slots should I luck out and actually manage to get one?

I have the same PSU with a MSI 3080 Gaming X Trio that has 3 connectors and have had no issues. You'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

There has to be a better system than this for rolling out limited inventory, one that isn’t vulnerable to bots so normal people can get cards.