Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Got an example of this? I THINK I know the sort of thing you're referring to but I'm not positive.

I don't know if this what they meant, but this is what I mean

https://letterboxd.com/tarantulini/film/citizen-kane/ posted:

i mean... it wasn't as good as shrek 2 (2004) but it was ok

https://letterboxd.com/deathproof/film/citizen-kane/ posted:

have you guys ever heard of this movie? citizen kane? directed by orson welles? ever heard of it? citizen kane? probably not, it's pretty indie

https://letterboxd.com/eleveh/film/citizen-kane/1/ posted:

i wanna suck 25 year old charles kane like a capri sun

https://letterboxd.com/uncutgems/film/citizen-kane/ posted:

the virgin logan roy vs. the chad charles foster kane

https://letterboxd.com/highlife/film/citizen-kane/ posted:

i dont care if orson welles WAS only 25 when he directed citizen kane. you know who else made a masterpiece at 25??? xavier dolan when he directed mommy (2014) !!! a REAL classic!!! teach this in film classrooms instead!!!!!

There's another kind of it that's the same deal, but littered with emojis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I almost never read a review on Letterboxd unless it's from one of you goons who I like. I follow 122 people. That is enough.

Also, joke reviews are fine and funny. I'm not expecting to become A.O. Scott over my Letterboxd reviews. Some of the people I see that becomes a popular reviewer on Letterboxd start getting shittier with their tastes and reviews. I'd much rather see a funny joke review than that.

edit: Not as low effort as those, but stuff like this is funny:

https://letterboxd.com/ejmoye/film/the-invisible-man-2020/

https://letterboxd.com/lancelubelski/film/insect-to-injury/

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 2, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I don't have a general problem with joke reviews, I just knew Citizen Kane would be a magnet for people trying weird bits that are just other peoples bits repackaged. It reminds me of twitter replies where people try the same jokes everyone makes and there ends up being 10 people making the same one and it's just never as funny as when whoever came up with it said it originally years ago.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

piratepilates posted:

I don't have a general problem with joke reviews, I just knew Citizen Kane would be a magnet for people trying weird bits that are just other peoples bits repackaged. It reminds me of twitter replies where people try the same jokes everyone makes and there ends up being 10 people making the same one and it's just never as funny as when whoever came up with it said it originally years ago.

Ah, the Redditization of movie reviews. Yeah, that sucks.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

piratepilates posted:

I don't know if this what they meant, but this is what I mean

Jesus. I mean I get trying to make a brief joke review, but what I don't get is 2,000 people liking it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Spatulater bro! posted:

Jesus. I mean I get trying to make a brief joke review, but what I don't get is 2,000 people liking it.

Not the exact user I was thinking of but absolutely an example. I don’t need everything to be film crit lit. I follow David Ehrlich on there and don’t read everything of his and lord knows I’ll post a joke review. I think my aversion comes from this being a site about something and not a nebulous social networking potpourri like Facebook or Twitter. Meme over there.

Old man yells at Clouds of Sils Maria.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

Not the exact user I was thinking of but absolutely an example. I don’t need everything to be film crit lit. I follow David Ehrlich on there and don’t read everything of his and lord knows I’ll post a joke review. I think my aversion comes from this being a site about something and not a nebulous social networking potpourri like Facebook or Twitter. Meme over there.

Old man yells at Clouds of Sils Maria.

Speaking of, your review of Only God Forgives made me laugh again when looking for good joke reviews.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

This is how I feel about it. I don't really care about joke reviews, but they take up so much real estate on the site because people like them too much. Take this review. It barely even qualifies as a joke, but has over 150 likes. This is a fairly obscure movie, so this low effort poo poo post is one of the top three reviews for it on the site. It's easy enough to fix, though - I blocked the guy after seeing this review.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Franchescanado posted:

Speaking of, your review of Only God Forgives made me laugh again when looking for good joke reviews.

lol thanks and that's on topic too since it's p much a parody of that Letterboxd rear end in a top hat with the avatar of the girl peering over her sunglasses

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lucy? https://letterboxd.com/deathproof/ I see her around a lot as she reviews pretty everything before I've seen it but don't recall her being one of the bad LB people at least. Goofy sometimes sure, but no outright awfulness. But maybe I've missed something.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

EL BROMANCE posted:

Lucy? https://letterboxd.com/deathproof/ I see her around a lot as she reviews pretty everything before I've seen it but don't recall her being one of the bad LB people at least. Goofy sometimes sure, but no outright awfulness. But maybe I've missed something.

Yeah most of their reviews are low effort twitter poo poo with 6000 likes that are all some variation of

movie character: hello i movie
her: lol no

edit: i mean just look at the bottom of that profile page for two of the worst examples

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
I personally will take the annoying one liners over the dudes who used to be top review of everything a few years back who turned into maga freaks. ultimately people are just using the site as a diary and way to keep track of what movies their friends are watching so i can't get too heated about any of it, worst case scenario i have to scroll past something

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'll definitely take that over the kind of stuff you'll see on iMDB, a site with such a toxic userbase they had to physically remove the message boards.

The fact LB will prioritise reviews from friends means you can safely ignore stuff you don't like at least.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Friends talking about movies are cool but I find the social networking aspect of the site the whole point otherwise it's just prettier criticker or I can just keep posting here. I discovered some rad podcasts like Sleazoids through actual interesting LB reviews and it's a drag that more chances for that gets buried by attempts at being a memestar. And it's way more than just her, she's just one of the more prevalent examples.

Scones are Good posted:

I personally will take the annoying one liners over the dudes who used to be top review of everything a few years back who turned into maga freaks.

I had no idea this was a thing but why am I not surprised.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

A lot of movies just don't inspire me to write a review on lerterboxd.

Not in a bad way, but in the sense of my thoughts are "Yeah, I thought it was pretty good"

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

personally the thing that bothers me the most about Letterboxd is how long it took me to notice the little "more" links next to the "reviews from friends" and "popular reviews" sections.

how many good reviews from people here have I missed because I didn't see that link!!!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is she the one who does the "Vegan Warning"? Hey guys, one of the characters wears a belt. Please prepare yourself.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spatulater bro! posted:

Is she the one who does the "Vegan Warning"? Hey guys, one of the characters wears a belt. Please prepare yourself.

No that's someone else, I loving live for those warnings. Will it be "film is a documentary about the inner workings of a slaughterhouse" or will it be "characters watch has a leather strap"? Who knows!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

EL BROMANCE posted:

No that's someone else, I loving live for those warnings. Will it be "film is a documentary about the inner workings of a slaughterhouse" or will it be "characters watch has a leather strap"? Who knows!

- Multiple graphic authentic dog decapitations
- An egg is eaten

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

In case you haven't witnessed the beauty of vegan alerts: https://letterboxd.com/allisoncm/

https://letterboxd.com/allisoncm/film/film:558622/ posted:

The Beach House 2019 ★★½
I am convinced that Jeffrey A. Brown is Elon Musk's best friend and Musk didn't demand to see a script or anything. He just wrote him a check.

Vegan alert:
Milk chocolate featured

Watched on:
Shudder

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Roth posted:

A lot of movies just don't inspire me to write a review on lerterboxd.

Not in a bad way, but in the sense of my thoughts are "Yeah, I thought it was pretty good"

Same. I usually just give them a heart or not and whatever rating feels right to me at that second, then move on. If I write something it's cause I had a lot to say about it, which is a rarity.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So does she have to figure out the ingredients contained in every onscreen meal?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not sure she'll ever top: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3796360&pagenumber=15&perpage=40#post490541928

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Wait, do vegans not strangle plants?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
My least favourite reviews on Letterboxd are mine because I loathe myself.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

My least favourite reviews on Letterboxd are mine because I loathe myself.
Nooooo they are good! Gotta be nice to your review babies.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

fenix down posted:

Nooooo they are good! Gotta be nice to your review babies.

One day, I am going to sit my child down and read them my reviews. They really need to know how I felt about Freddy's Dead.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

The only good reviews are ones where I don’t have to click “read more”

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Whoa I do not understand what you guys are complaining about these are great.

Vegan alert:
Pig's blood is an ingredient in a product.

-Boy tells Murray he's the worst dog and he hates him
-Another girl calls Murray bad dog

Talking about stabbing geese

-Hare soup on menu

Yellow car stopped in order to avoid hitting a crab

-Implied that Arby's food was eaten

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh believe, the vegan alerts spark a tiny bit of joy into my awful life.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

The vegan alerts lady is more annoying because she rates 99% of what she watches 3 stars. Not everything can be just ok!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

oneforthevine posted:

The vegan alerts lady is more annoying because she rates 99% of what she watches 3 stars. Not everything can be just ok!
I'd argue that most things are in fact just ok.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I had to unfollow the vegan alerts lady cause it started seeping into my brain and I'd be clocking vegan violations myself while watching movies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m not a video game journo so I’m down with *** rating films I quite enjoyed.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

4 stars seems to be where I tend to settle, but I feel I have a very healthy ratings distribution.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My highest average is 4 stars, but I also tend to rewatch and seek out 4 star experiences.

Happiest Season is an interesting example of that. For a Christmas Rom-Com? It's probably a 5/5 for that genre. But since that's such a low-interest genre for me, and since it's just absolutely successful in what it wanted to be, but doesn't innovate or anything, I don't see a reason to give it more than 4 stars.

A View To A Kill is probably a 3 or a 3.5 star movie with all it's flaws. And yet somehow the sum is greater than it's parts, and I feel comfortable letting it have 4 stars. It's better than Dr. No, for instance, which I gave 3.5. Dr. No should probably be a 3 star movie, but since it sparked a whole franchise and gave us a whole new idea of the spy genre, it feels good to be generous and bump it up half a star.

I've been trying to get more critical about my star uses, but since my rating scale is based around if a film is successful in it's goals, there's a lot of things that deserve it's 4 stars.

I don't know how people who use a 4 star system (or 10 star system) live with themselves.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Happiest Season had the potential to be a 4-5* for me, but it’s lack of really utilizing a funny cast really let it down. It was inevitable the second I saw how stacked it was, those kinds of productions are rarely as funny as the sum of their parts. To be honest, for a rom com it was lacking both rom and com, it was more a light drama. It seems like the community really took to it though which is great, and I’m happy as a straight white dude that there’s one more Christmas film with actual representation rather than the slop job that’s usually done, so hey.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Happiest Season had the potential to be a 4-5* for me, but it’s lack of really utilizing a funny cast really let it down. It was inevitable the second I saw how stacked it was, those kinds of productions are rarely as funny as the sum of their parts. To be honest, for a rom com it was lacking both rom and com, it was more a light drama. It seems like the community really took to it though which is great, and I’m happy as a straight white dude that there’s one more Christmas film with actual representation rather than the slop job that’s usually done, so hey.

I thought it was one of the few rom-coms that stayed funny through-out. Instead of relying on energetic slapstick like so many holiday movies, all of the humor comes from the characters and the situation. But I'm already a Mary Holland fan, and could feel her sense of humor throughout.

It also succeeds in paying off every single thread by the end. Most rom-coms forget moments and ideas, and I was surprised that all of my assumptions and questions were met and answered. Jane getting her book deal was adorable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

E: moving post to the Holiday Season thread as makes more sense.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

For me:

0 stars: very rare, no redeeming qualities. Would be reserved mostly for poo poo like if anyone ever forced me to watch a Dinesh desouza movie.

1 star: bad, but there were at least elements I liked. A performance, a needle drop, an editing choice, etc.

2 stars: it was fine, I guess

3 stars: I liked it!

4 stars: I loved it!

5 stars: not perfect, nothing is, but not only did I love it but there was something else about it that made it special for me.