Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there coffee in an asylum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
DS9 S5E2 "The Ship" is a top tier production. It feels really movie-like, even though the story is ultimately pretty small scale and gets exactly the amount of time it needs. Maybe it was just because of the torpedo casket, but I really started getting WoK vibes near the end. It just felt like that same wavelength of storytelling: high drama with a strong thematic & ideological core, and feels more action-packed than it actually is.

Apparently the producers weren't super happy with it, but I'm not sure why. Some of them felt like it should've taken place completely inside the ship without Sisko making any trips to the surface to speak to the Vorta, for maximum tension. I can see the appeal of that idea, but I think they ultimately ended up striking the right balance. And Sisko got some truly epic rants in.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

DS9 S5E2 "The Ship" is a top tier production. It feels really movie-like, even though the story is ultimately pretty small scale and gets exactly the amount of time it needs. Maybe it was just because of the torpedo casket, but I really started getting WoK vibes near the end. It just felt like that same wavelength of storytelling: high drama with a strong thematic & ideological core, and feels more action-packed than it actually is.

Apparently the producers weren't super happy with it, but I'm not sure why. Some of them felt like it should've taken place completely inside the ship without Sisko making any trips to the surface to speak to the Vorta, for maximum tension. I can see the appeal of that idea, but I think they ultimately ended up striking the right balance. And Sisko got some truly epic rants in.

I'm on Season 5 in my rewatch and although I liked that episode overall, I completely didn't buy the whole Muniz thing. From the moment he was introduced it was like "HEY LOOK AT THIS GUY AND HIS WACKY BANTER, HOPE HE DOESN'T DIE LOL!!" It just felt incredibly hamfisted. You knew what his entire plotline would be from the instant he opened his mouth.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

showbiz_liz posted:

I'm on Season 5 in my rewatch and although I liked that episode overall, I completely didn't buy the whole Muniz thing. From the moment he was introduced it was like "HEY LOOK AT THIS GUY AND HIS WACKY BANTER, HOPE HE DOESN'T DIE LOL!!" It just felt incredibly hamfisted. You knew what his entire plotline would be from the instant he opened his mouth.

This is true, but the inevitability of his death also ended up being a plot point, so it kind of works anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He was actually in some earlier episodes but didn’t get much to do

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's interesting watching Voyager as a 40 year old attracted to women my own age and suddenly realizing Janeway is really attractive. That completely passed me by 20 years ago.

The page is 1996 and lets remember voyager and that there's coffee in that nebula

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Erulisse posted:

The page is 1996 and lets remember voyager and that there's coffee in that nebula

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm not getting older. The characters in the TV shows are just getting younger every time I go back and watch them

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

FlamingLiberal posted:

He was actually in some earlier episodes but didn’t get much to do

Wasn't he one of the engineers Worf had to apologise to in Starship Down?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Sir Lemming posted:

I love that episode for all the above reasons. Tense small-scale dramas like this or "To the Death" are some peak DS9 to me.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
there did not end up being coffee in the nebula

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zaroff posted:

Wasn't he one of the engineers Worf had to apologise to in Starship Down?
Yes

He also appears briefly in Hard Time (the one where O’Brien is in mind jail).

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

cheetah7071 posted:

there did not end up being coffee in the nebula

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Erulisse posted:

Ah yes baby, we made it. 1996, end of history, cold war is over, no more conflict in the world, it's all looking up from here. Can't wait to usher in the new millenium, 2001 is going to be one hell of a year. Bright times ahead of us.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Have you heard of this thing they have now called the internet??????

All of the world's information at your finger tips! How could this ever go wrong?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Sir Lemming posted:

i think its main weakness is that the vorta doesnt really behave rationally, constantly attacking them and lying to them and then while the episode is about the horrors of the dominion conflict (not yet a war) and the costs taking their toll on the surviving members - a theme that is revisited over and over throughout the last two seasons - sisko's penultimate conclusion is like "we should have trusted each other!"

it doesnt fit with sisko who is generally very incisive and assertive to take literally any loving blame but thats his conclusion and then after its all said and done he doesnt even take the vorta prisoner. it feels like they wanted the trust thing to be the moral, maybe in the first draft, but when they made the vorta clearly an amoral psycho (like all of them) it doesnt resonate at all

and its not like she doesnt know who sisko is. she even says something to the effect that she already knows who he is. if she really wanted to guarantee that she got the changeling and nothing else theres absolutely nothing just asking for it in exchange for the ship

i actually thought the muniz part of it was done really well because A: he was the exact same affable smart rear end in the other episodes he showed up in and B: it helps build o'briens feeling of personal isolation as the people he cares about die in the war (something he talks about in 'the sound of her voice')

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

piratepilates posted:

Ah yes baby, we made it. 1996, end of history, cold war is over, no more conflict in the world, it's all looking up from here. Can't wait to usher in the new millenium, 2001 is going to be one hell of a year. Bright times ahead of us.

Man I'm a little disappointed George W Bush just got elected but you know what him and Al Gore basically the same guy anyway! All your base are belong to us!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I wish to know more about this comic.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

piratepilates posted:

I'm convinced that a hundred years from now, the turn of the millennium will be considered the peak of western civilisation, and it all went to poo poo from there. The End of History indeed, just not in the way it was intended.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's from an official comic, apparently, Naomi was writing it in-universe.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 4, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Naoimi Wildman is hella cool :c00l:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

MikeJF posted:

I would back a Kickstarter of an actual episode of this. Get some of the cast back together for a Naomi Wildman written Voyager story.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

V-Men posted:

I would back a Kickstarter of an actual episode of this. Get some of the cast back together for a Naomi Wildman written Voyager story.

Robert Beltran aside, the Voyager cast are goofballs who would be down for it if The Delta Flyers is any indication.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

Robert Beltran aside, the Voyager cast are goofballs who would be down for it if The Delta Flyers is any indication.

I desperately want a Harry Kim episode of Lower Decks.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Have him as the Lower Decks crew's tyrannical boss after he finally gets promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade, and the power goes to his head.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Angry Salami posted:

Have him Boimler as the Lower Decks crew's Harry's tyrannical boss after he finally gets promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade, and the power goes to his head.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Angry Salami posted:

Have him as the Lower Decks crew's tyrannical boss after he finally gets promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade, and the power goes to his head.

Payndz posted:

Have him Boimler as the Lower Decks crew's Harry's tyrannical boss after he finally gets promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade, and the power goes to his head.
:sickos:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Watching Redemption Part 1 and can't help but lol that the HD remaster makes Denise Crosby easily recognizable even when she's standing in the shadows.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Watching Redemption Part 1 and can't help but lol that the HD remaster makes Denise Crosby easily recognizable even when she's standing in the shadows.
Yeah I did notice that. I bet that is confusing some new watchers.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

nine-gear crow posted:

Naoimi Wildman is hella cool :c00l:

Good thing the Star Trek Picard writers have some terrible torture planned for her in season!

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
She will come back as a pansexual alcoholic drug addict who wears Master Chief armor that transforms into the Delta flyer 3 for some reason

Fan sites will declare her a bastion of progressive storytelling as she looks into the camera and says she's going to make the federation great again

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Finally finished season 1 of TNG. If this is the unwatchably bad season I'm really looking forward to what's next because I really enjoyed it begining to end.

Smooth Riker and red Geordi and Worf were really weird though.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tighclops posted:

She will come back as a pansexual alcoholic drug addict who wears Master Chief armor that transforms into the Delta flyer 3 for some reason

Fan sites will declare her a bastion of progressive storytelling as she looks into the camera and says she's going to make the federation great again

“Here’s the technical reason why Naomi Wildman is now a Transformer, but we ran out of time within the show to explain it” - Michael Chabon, panicking on IG

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I watched The Way of The Warrior after not watching a 90s trek for 5 years... the ensemble cast was awesome, seeing Worf again was cool how they worked him in. It even had the root beer scene which I had forgotten about until it was happening.

What a great show.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Payndz posted:

I'm convinced that a hundred years from now, the turn of the millennium will be considered the peak of western civilisation, and it all went to poo poo from there. The End of History indeed, just not in the way it was intended.

The Matrix tried to tell us!

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Boxturret posted:

Finally finished season 1 of TNG. If this is the unwatchably bad season I'm really looking forward to what's next because I really enjoyed it begining to end.

Smooth Riker and red Geordi and Worf were really weird though.

Having gone back and rewatched a few extra S1 and S2 episodes that were omitted from the watch list I used, I have to admit most of the episodes are actually pretty decent. If I had to do my own watchlist, I would definitely not be nearly as aggressive as most at cutting out episodes. There’s a lot of little character details and plot progression, and I actually like Picard’s dumb holodeck adventures. S3 on is almost entirely solid but I would only really skip a few whole episodes per season if I did it again.

Need to wrap up my thoughts on S2 since I’m well past that and the show gets absolutely bananas in a good way after that. I’m super stoked for DS9.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

jeeves posted:

Good thing the Star Trek Picard writers have some terrible torture planned for her in season!

The season opener will reveal she was one of the prostitutes Seven gunned down in that space bar.

This is a shocking revelation that would have served actual dramatic effect if it had been saved for later in the episode.

Her mom (played by a different actress) is out for revenge.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hed posted:

I watched The Way of The Warrior after not watching a 90s trek for 5 years... the ensemble cast was awesome, seeing Worf again was cool how they worked him in. It even had the root beer scene which I had forgotten about until it was happening.

What a great show.

Way of the Warrior is the good DS9 movie we never got.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Rob Rockley posted:

S4E18, Identity Crisis, focuses on a video recording that Geordi reconstructs on the Holodeck to puzzle out a mystery. You see a guy with a camera and the video he took from his POV. Just finished it a couple days back and thought it was alright, but that specific sequence was great.

Edit: beaten like Worf

One of the few times TNG terrified kid-me.

The other involves a table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
A table and a cake?