Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Kenning posted:

I meant that if you own your home you are not covered by this law.

If it covers multi-unit residential then it would cover owner occupied condos as well, wouldn't it?

Unless I'm missing something, only detached single family homes would be left outside of this law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Give DPH inspectors authorization for summary executions.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Weembles posted:

If it covers multi-unit residential then it would cover owner occupied condos as well, wouldn't it?

Unless I'm missing something, only detached single family homes would be left outside of this law.

Only the true landed gentry are excluded from our regulations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Smoking inside is a death penalty
Vaping inside is lifetime in jail
Vaping outside? Execute immediate

When you think about it, life is a type of vapor

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

withak posted:

Give DPH inspectors authorization for summary executions.

Deputize them as ICE agents and federal marshalls so they can deport the vapers and seize their property all at the same time.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Deputize them as ICE agents and federal marshalls so they can deport the vapers and seize their property all at the same time.
This is how tesla will start sourcing their 18650 batteries if another lithium coup fails.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
fine landlords $1,000/day/unit-complaint if smoke leaks into apartments, window open or not

they would find a way to improve HVAC systems or find their buildings property of DPH, who I imagine would fill them with concrete to prevent their use a la John Snow

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Greg12 posted:

fine landlords $1,000/day/unit-complaint if smoke leaks into apartments, window open or not

they would find a way to improve HVAC systems or find their buildings property of DPH, who I imagine would fill them with concrete to prevent their use a la John Snow
This.
If your neighbors smoke is effecting you, you have a ventilation problem.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I think you'll find that in fact your neighbors lack moral fiber and they need strict discipline from the state.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Kenning posted:

I think you'll find that in fact your neighbors lack moral fiber and they need strict discipline from the state.

theyre loving degenerates to be honest. makes me sick

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
My upstairs neighbors chainsmoke all day and the only time the smoke came down here was when one of the exhaust pipes was clogged and the air backflowed.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Last time I smoked, I'm pretty sure most people in within a block could smell it. The turkey was delicious though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Los Angeles just issued a mandatory stay at home order that has about 1 million exceptions. :allears:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Los Angeles just issued a mandatory stay at home order that has about 1 million exceptions. :allears:

Lowered profits are a cure worse than the disease. There are always more peasants, after all.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
it’s sumptuary bourgeoise neoliberal incrementalism when I can’t light a stogie up while sharing a ventilation system with the newborn in the apartment above.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Still Dismal posted:

it’s sumptuary bourgeoise neoliberal incrementalism when I can’t light a stogie up while sharing a ventilation system with the newborn in the apartment above.

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g
So, it's December... Jack Frost is nipping at your nose... which of course means the start of several new fires in SoCal.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/03/weather/southern-california-edison-power-outage/index.html

It was windy as hell last night. Orange County, Riverside, San Diego now have blazes going.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

eSporks posted:

Thanks to the goon who gave me the idea. My lungs appreciate it.

Just going to put this here.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That meme's best avoided; it's a 4chan racial supremacy thing.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That meme's best avoided; it's a 4chan racial supremacy thing.

I see normal people using it (and variants) on Twitter all the time so I figure it's reasonably divorced from that 4chan poo poo but whatever, it's just a one-off image macro joke since the topic in question has basically run its course.

Anyway San Francisco did pass the ordinance in question but they ultimately exempted cannabis at the last minute, so there's some tiny nug worth celebrating here.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Do people smoke cigarettes in apartments these days anyway? That poo poo lingers forever and stains everything (walls/carpet/furniture/curtains), everyone I've ever known who smokes cigs does so outside, even when they're at home.

If you live in an apartment for several years and smoke cigarettes all the time inside, when you go to move out it's going to be extremely obvious you smoked inside and you'll lose the whole security deposit.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Anyone have bets on a) when we get a statewide stay-at-home order, and b) to what degree it will actually be complied with?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kenning posted:

Anyone have bets on a) when we get a statewide stay-at-home order, and b) to what degree it will actually be complied with?

A) won't matter because B) will be pretty low. People that have been staying home (especially people with kids) are sick of staying home while everyone else fucks it up.

e: Like, if I were single and had a PS5, sure, I'll WFH by day and game with my bros all night. But since I have 3 teenagers with their own declining mental state due to all of this, no way I can keep them sealed inside. And my twin toddlers need to be in daycare every weekday or the WFH thing doesn't work, at all.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 3, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kenning posted:

If the gov ever turns the money tap on? Within a day of funds being available.

Without everyone getting $1200/mo + $600 unemployment? Nah.

ratmosphere
Oct 31, 2017

Kenning posted:

It will happen after New Years to avoid the political fallout of "cancelling Christmas" and compliance will be more or less the same as it is today because people don't travel as much in January anyway. There will be a lot of dumb buzz about New Years Resolution joggers and whether running complies with the order, but otherwise it won't make a difference except for some state employees with work mandate changes, because everyone has already fallen into their quarantine habits and won't change for better or for worse until they either get a vaccine or die. We will hit two million confirmed cases before mid-January.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
State-wide closure before Christmas, but exceptions for gig carolers and tesla employees. Essential workers will be limited to those required to keep The French Laundry open for Christmas Eve Dinner, between 6:30-10:30PM specifically.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Sundae posted:

Essential workers will be limited to those required to keep The French Laundry open for Christmas Eve Dinner, between 6:30-10:30PM specifically.

10:30pm? That's 30 mins after COVID becomes infectious!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

droll posted:

10:30pm? That's 30 mins after COVID becomes infectious!

Report it to DPH, they will follow a 22-point flow chart to determine whether a $1,000 infraction is warranted. No cops though, this is a civil matter!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

bawfuls posted:

Do people smoke cigarettes in apartments these days anyway? That poo poo lingers forever and stains everything (walls/carpet/furniture/curtains), everyone I've ever known who smokes cigs does so outside, even when they're at home.

If you live in an apartment for several years and smoke cigarettes all the time inside, when you go to move out it's going to be extremely obvious you smoked inside and you'll lose the whole security deposit.
The definition for smoking as mentioned in the previously linked ordinances for 19F seems to cover... cigarettes or traditional "smoke", but as far as I understand is interpreted to cover vaping and the like as well. This seems supported by the previously linked SFDPH Environmental Tobacco Smoke Prevention Program page mentioning limiting secondhand exposure to other tobacco derived products and the LA Times article on the ordinance mentioning the board saying it covered e-cigarettes and vaporizer products. Additionally the proposed ordinance not only bans smoking in the dwelling unit, but expands the ban on smoking in enclosed common areas of multi-unit housing complexes to explicitly include patios, balconies, and... exterior stairwells?... they removed the word "interior" from "interior stairwells", so enclosed common area exterior stairwells? The definition for enclosed in this case is:

quote:

(h) "Enclosed" means: (1) any covered or partially covered space having more than 50 percent of its perimeter area walled in or otherwise closed to the outside such as a covered porch with more than two walls, or (2) any space open to the sky ("uncovered") having more than 75 percent of its perimeter area walled in or otherwise closed to the outside such as a courtyard. Outdoor patios and historically compliant semi-enclosed smoking rooms shall not be considered enclosed.
They also increased the amount of feet that one must be away from a door or window in an outdoor common area from 10 feet to 15 feet when smoking.

So the ban covers a bit more than that. How likely they are to smoke or vape inside might be affected by how far a resident has to travel to an outdoor common area that has space that's 15 feet from any door or window, or how far they have to travel to the curb (or if no curb, then 15 feet away from any entrances, exits, windows, and vents).

Also... do most people get their security deposit back? At least it's a pain in the rear end to get back most of the time, right?

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 4, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm asking about right now, before this dumbshit ordinance. How many people smoke cigs inside apartment buildings in a place with mild climate like CA?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

bawfuls posted:

I'm asking about right now, before this dumbshit ordinance. How many people smoke cigs inside apartment buildings in a place with mild climate like CA?

Eh most of the time you'll get kicked out for that poo poo regardless. Even without a bullshit law. Many communities / complexes have made it illegal within their own set of rules ala kicked out / pay a fat cleaning fee like oh don't smoke and if you do 3K Cleaning fee (this was my agreement for a 3 bed 3 ba apt) so people are inclined not to do so. B

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 4, 2020

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

bawfuls posted:

In my last apartment, late 2018 timeframe let's say, I had three known cigarette smokers and a marijuana smoker on a medical card on my floor, out of 11 units. The MJ smoker smoked in his unit and in the hallway until he was evicted. One of the cigarette smokers smoked on her balcony, but the other two smoked in their units. The smell got really bad just walking past their units in the hallway. That being said, the only one whose smoke got into my apartment was the one who smoked on her balcony, because with no AC I needed those windows open to keep the place below 95*F. After late 2018, I have no idea because my floor started to empty out due to the rental costs.

Anecdotes and all, but I don't think we have hard data on this otherwise.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

bawfuls posted:

Ya I don't know; it's a good question which I don't have the answer to. I just wanted to make clear that this affects those that vape indoors as well, and those who smoke/vape off their own patios/balconies and common area "enclosed" patios/balconies; not just someone smoking a cigarette in their living room or whatever.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 4, 2020

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think they included vapes due to pressure from the tobacco giants. doesnt have any practical implication since vapes dont really stink or anything unless youre directly within THE CLOUD

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

BeAuMaN posted:

The definition for smoking as mentioned in the previously linked ordinances for 19F seems to cover... cigarettes or traditional "smoke", but as far as I understand is interpreted to cover vaping and the like as well. This seems supported by the previously linked SFDPH Environmental Tobacco Smoke Prevention Program page mentioning limiting secondhand exposure to other tobacco derived products and the LA Times article on the ordinance mentioning the board saying it covered e-cigarettes and vaporizer products. Additionally the proposed ordinance not only bans smoking in the dwelling unit, but expands the ban on smoking in enclosed common areas of multi-unit housing complexes to explicitly include patios, balconies, and... exterior stairwells?... they removed the word "interior" from "interior stairwells", so enclosed common area exterior stairwells? The definition for enclosed in this case is:

They also increased the amount of feet that one must be away from a door or window in an outdoor common area from 10 feet to 15 feet when smoking.

So the ban covers a bit more than that. How likely they are to smoke or vape inside might be affected by how far a resident has to travel to an outdoor common area that has space that's 15 feet from any door or window, or how far they have to travel to the curb (or if no curb, then 15 feet away from any entrances, exits, windows, and vents).

Also... do most people get their security deposit back? At least it's a pain in the rear end to get back most of the time, right?

lol, then there's literally nowhere at my apartment inside or outside that tobacco products can be smoked or vaped, with other existing bans, the closest place to smoke without risking a fine for smoking would be if you were to walk out the front door, walk 50 feet away and stand in the middle of the intersection

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

BeAuMaN posted:

My experience is getting security deposits back without a hassle. Highly dependent on how sleazy your landlord is I think.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Eh most of the time you'll get kicked out for that poo poo regardless. Even without a bullshit law. Many communities / complexes have made it illegal within their own set of rules ala kicked out / pay a fat cleaning fee like oh don't smoke and if you do 3K Cleaning fee (this was my agreement for a 3 bed 3 ba apt) so people are inclined not to do so. B
It would not surprise me if remediating an apartment that's been smoked in for a year costs more than $3K

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

fermun posted:

lol, then there's literally nowhere at my apartment inside or outside that tobacco products can be smoked or vaped, with other existing bans, the closest place to smoke without risking a fine for smoking would be if you were to walk out the front door, walk 50 feet away and stand in the middle of the intersection

There's no curb? You can smoke at the curb is my understanding, though I don't know about all the ordinances, just what I was reading in 19F.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Foxfire_ posted:

My experience is getting security deposits back without a hassle. Highly dependent on how sleazy your landlord is I think.

It would not surprise me if remediating an apartment that's been smoked in for a year costs more than $3K

I don't doubt it either, but some will use a type of paint (I think its paint) that creates a smell barrier between you and the sheetrock, but you arent wrong. The carpets hold the smell the worst so ripping those out is costly, aswell as the yellowing of the utilities.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECOBOND-OdorDefender-1-Gal-Off-White-Flat-Smoke-Eliminator-Odor-Blocking-Paint-EODP144001/305908344

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Cigarette smoke is no match for a few sessions with a good ozone generator. NO smell is a match for an ozone generator. Also mold as well.

Edit: ozone generators are technically illegal in California so Amazon won’t ship them to California. eBay doesn’t give a single gently caress though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Cigarette smoke is no match for a few sessions with a good ozone generator. NO smell is a match for an ozone generator. Also mold as well.

Edit: ozone generators are technically illegal in California so Amazon won’t ship them to California. eBay doesn’t give a single gently caress though. :v:

You can always keep a po box in reno for these purchases if you live in norcal and take the train, enjoy scenery to pick it up.