Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Darthemed posted:

OHoTMUDE #12 (1986)

Man, you better not be ragging on my girl Ape-X.

The only thing I ever read with Water Wizard in it was Fred Hembeck Destroys The Marvel Universe. I was floored to read OHOTMU later and find out he was a real character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Strange Cares posted:

Maxwell Lord gets to come back but Ted Kord has to stay dead because of 'cosmic balance?" Ugh.

Ted Kord is alive. He's not an active superhero but he's alive, so at least there's that.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Pastry of the Year posted:

"I'm really sorry you got all wet."

Water Wizard drives a VW Bug

Water Wizard avoided getting snuffed by Scourge because he got a flat tire

I love Water Wizard

You just love Water Wizard's thigh-highs.

Oh hey, what do we have here?

X-Men #1, 2019, first of Dawn of X storyline and awfully confusing as to a lot of poo poo, I may have missed a/some books/storylines leading up to the Krakoa thing.

Oh, and the very next panel:

Mags seems to be awfully... *excited*, to take on the Ape Doctor swarm.

Really gonna have to find out what I missed...

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

I thought he was going to say he would become The Milkman.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ygolonac posted:

I mean, he gets to make a last stand against a swarm of Ape Doctors, I would be stoked too.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Are there any established gorilla or gorilla-based villains in the Marvel Universe?
DC has Gorilla Grodd and Monsieur Mallah for starters. Maybe he's just excited for the novelty.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Elissimpark posted:

Are there any established gorilla or gorilla-based villains in the Marvel Universe?
DC has Gorilla Grodd and Monsieur Mallah for starters. Maybe he's just excited for the novelty.

Gorilla-Man, Gorilla Rider, Gorilla Girl?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
One of the Red Ghost's super apes is a gorilla.

Either here or in another thread in BSS we went over this, there's a ton of gorillas and other apes in super-hero comics from both big publishers, but a shockingly small number of monkeys.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

FFT posted:

Gorilla-Man, Gorilla Rider, Gorilla Girl?

I thought you were taking the piss at first, but then I googled them.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Elissimpark posted:

I thought you were taking the piss at first, but then I googled them.

Hell, I didn't believe Gorilla Rider was real at first either

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Newspaper Spider-Man thread is currently running through a story where a rich guy buys a gorilla suit to destroy Spider-Man.

Also does the Man Ape count? He's gorilla themed! And isn't one of the Headmen a human head on a gorilla body?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ygolonac posted:

Getting some real NEXTWAVE vibes from this

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bucnasti posted:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

No, Milkman Man is a different character in that storyline.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Grendels Dad posted:

I mean, he gets to make a last stand against a swarm of Ape Doctors, I would be stoked too.

Probably imagining they're all Hank, too.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Ygolonac posted:

You just love Water Wizard's thigh-highs.

X-Men #1, 2019, first of Dawn of X storyline and awfully confusing as to a lot of poo poo, I may have missed a/some books/storylines leading up to the Krakoa thing.

Did you read House of X/Powers of X? Because that's all the setup for the Krakoa status quo.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Blue Beetle #10 (1941)

House of Secrets #21 (1959)

Marvel Spotlight #11 (1973)

Tales from the Crypt #1 (1991)

The Amazing Spider-Man Family #1 (2008)

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Ted Kord is alive. He's not an active superhero but he's alive, so at least there's that.

I needed to find this out today more than I am comfortable admitting

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Darthemed posted:

Tales from the Crypt #1 (1991)
:same:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

Newspaper Spider-Man thread is currently running through a story where a rich guy buys a gorilla suit to destroy Spider-Man.

Also does the Man Ape count? He's gorilla themed! And isn't one of the Headmen a human head on a gorilla body?

Nice. I love how excited he is to have the strength of a gorilla, which would be cool for a normal person, but wouldn't be anywhere near the magnitude of strength for a lot of superheros.

The dude in the Headmen is one of the three Gorilla Mans. And Man Ape counts.

Gorillas seem like such a Golden- or early Silver-age thing. And I guess I associate that kinda thing with DC more readily.

(I also found a Wikipedia list of fictional primates in comics. Technically, it should've included all human characters, but it limited itself to apes and monkeys.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's really a gorilla-shaped suit of power armor. but he talks constantly, so there's no pretense that it is an actual gorilla running around doing crimes. the dude is living his best life, is all.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Not a gorilla, but the Gibbon (Marvel) has the incel-dream power of pheromones that allow him control over women.

And yeah, I missed the lead-ins to that storyline in question. Gonna flip back towhere I need to be to catch up, which is just after X-Man's little reality-bending power trip, which was just before I ripped through Captain America from volume 3 on, plus a shitload of one-shots and limiteds.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ygolonac posted:

Not a gorilla, but the Gibbon (Marvel) has the incel-dream power of pheromones that allow him control over women.
I think that’s the Mandrill. The 616 Gibbon just had Beast-like agility, etc.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Elissimpark posted:

Nice. I love how excited he is to have the strength of a gorilla, which would be cool for a normal person, but wouldn't be anywhere near the magnitude of strength for a lot of superheros.

The dude in the Headmen is one of the three Gorilla Mans. And Man Ape counts.

Gorillas seem like such a Golden- or early Silver-age thing. And I guess I associate that kinda thing with DC more readily.

(I also found a Wikipedia list of fictional primates in comics. Technically, it should've included all human characters, but it limited itself to apes and monkeys.)

Marvel had their share too... I would assume given Stan’s predilection for circuses, this ape somehow escaped from one. Also, holy lack of perspective on this!

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

GPTribefan posted:

Marvel had their share too... I would assume given Stan’s predilection for circuses, this ape somehow escaped from one. Also, holy lack of perspective on this!

Those buildings are so tiny.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Superdickery has quite hefty monkey (mostly gorilla) collection:

https://www.superdickery.com/tag/everythings-better-with-monkeys/

Kennel fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 4, 2020

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Darthemed posted:

Marvel Spotlight #11 (1973)

I am now obsessed with Jennifer Glatzer, blasé Satanist.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Post Funny Panels - Especially with a Little Help From Him-- You Know, the Devil!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Natch.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

Post Funny Panels - Especially with a Little Help From Him-- You Know, the Devil!

Post Funny Panels - The Mark of Satan, natch!

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

ImpAtom posted:

Call me when they decide that he isn't randomly evil because someone was pissed at JLI for existing.

Maxwell Lord is and always has been a wacky 80s businessman do-gooder. I will not be taking questions at this time.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
don't forget Hit Monkey

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Push El Burrito posted:

Evil Scientist: So I can really make you a power suit that'll do anything. Flight, super strength. You wanna be an evil Iron Man? That one's popular.
Guy: I wanna be a gorilla.
Scientist: An evil robot gorilla? Okay, just-
Guy: No, a regular gorilla.
Scientist: That's it? No jetpack or machine gun hand?
Guy: A regular loving gorilla suit. And I'll use it to destroy Spider-Man!!!
Scientist: I, um. I see.

Kennel posted:

Superdickery has quite hefty monkey (mostly gorilla) collection:

https://www.superdickery.com/tag/everythings-better-with-monkeys/

I feel like every cover of Jimmy Olsen has Superman apologizing.

"Sorry Jimmy, but I have to destroy your Christmas presents to teach you a lesson."
"Sorry Jimmy, but if I don't eat these million cheeseburgers, I'll die."
"Sorry Jimmy, but these cannibals are starving, and they certainly can't eat me."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Hell yes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Red posted:

I feel like every cover of Jimmy Olsen has Superman apologizing.

"Sorry Jimmy, but I have to destroy your Christmas presents to teach you a lesson."
"Sorry Jimmy, but if I don't eat these million cheeseburgers, I'll die."
"Sorry Jimmy, but these cannibals are starving, and they certainly can't eat me."

It's like domestic abuse 101, apologize in a way that makes your victim feel responsible for your abuse while abusing them.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Skwirl posted:

It's like domestic abuse 101, apologize in a way that makes your victim feel responsible for your abuse while abusing them.

"Sorry Jimmy, but the beatings will continue until morale improves."

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Iron Man #3

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Beerdeer posted:

Maxwell Lord is and always has been a wacky 80s businessman do-gooder. I will not be taking questions at this time.

He was a lovely guy who learned to not be lovely by hanging out with goofball superheroes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I feel like somebody melting your 20th car isn't worth killing a guy over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

site posted:

I feel like somebody melting your 20th car isn't worth killing a guy over