Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Looks like we're back to 9/11 a day: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55170329 :toot:

In my local news, they lifted a ton of restrictions today. Gyms, swimming pools, retail, everything is open again. Masks are required but I don't see this being enough when everyone crams into pubs and restaurants again. Really dumb IMO when it could've been suppressed further to let everyone actually enjoy Christmas, but instead I suspect the numbers would be back to scary heights by then.

The UK's lifting of restrictions on the 2nd is *definitely* about rescuing the retail sector. Multiple large retail chains have gone under this year (albeit mostly because of the usual private equity fun and games that were killing the sector even before the pandemic) and no Christmas shopping would have definitely killed off a huge amount of the high street, maybe even the majority. Now obviously the Tories don't give a poo poo about most of these, but they *do* care about the almighty collapse in commercial property prices that this would cause. Equally obviously they can't be expected to actually help with some kind of bailout, it's not like these are real people like bankers, so instead we're literally sacrificing lives to Mammon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
commercial property collapse is prolly gonna still happen. you play that game levered to your fuckin eyeballs so it's up the stairs and down out the window

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

commercial property collapse is prolly gonna still happen. you play that game levered to your fuckin eyeballs so it's up the stairs and down out the window

Grover's designing shops now?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I don't get why people are surprised. Surely he's extremely obviously a huge piece of poo poo at first glance? Is his persona on his youtube channel like night and day from what's on display here?

He's very pretty and has a nice dog. He did some pretty good videos about covid back in the spring. :shrug:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Grover's designing shops now?

ive seen some of the debt structuring on these peeps and load-bearing drywall would be better than much of it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Now obviously the Tories don't give a poo poo about most of these, but they *do* care about the almighty collapse in commercial property prices that this would cause. Equally obviously they can't be expected to actually help with some kind of bailout, it's not like these are real people like bankers

Just in case anyone thought that goddamnedtwisto was being even the slightest bit hyperbolic:

https://twitter.com/emmaroller/status/1334557887302168579

:v:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Lol work from home is rescinded again! I get to go back to and fro and commute for no reason FOR A WEEK. We literally have a week until the office is closed for the holiday for drat near a month.

they even mentioned in the email how well everything is going working from home and then to take it away? Why? I don’t even have the option, I have to go in to a more and more infected city because office morale :roflolmao:

Me risking my boyfriends health and my own for morale.

I’ll be making GBS threads out morale when I’m back in that’s for sure.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

sweet thursday posted:

Check, please!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGPmUYeLOtM&t=65s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chikimiki posted:

Any news on whether the vaccines prevent spreading, or do they only protect the vaccinated person?

They don't know

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1334663233383358470

Also Pfizer's rollout is already falling behind schedule
https://twitter.com/MikeDelMoro/status/1334601441311387655

quote:

The U.K. ordered 40 million Pfizer doses, enough to vaccinate 20 million people. The government said in November that it could get up to 10 million doses this year, but the expectation now is that four to five million vaccines will be shipped.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/pfizer-slashed-its-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-target-after-facing-supply-chain-obstacles-11607027787

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I don't know the logistics of this, but we all aren't relying on Pfizer to do all the heavy lifting are we? Can't the government(s) set up production labs everywhere and pump these fuckers out day and night and distribute them all themselves?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Went to dentist yesterday. He mentioned people are absolutely destroying their teeth grinding at night that’s he’s had to schedule four emergency surgeries for people who previously had no problems. So if you have access to a night guard for your teeth that might be a good idea.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Went to dentist yesterday. He mentioned people are absolutely destroying their teeth grinding at night that’s he’s had to schedule four emergency surgeries for people who previously had no problems. So if you have access to a night guard for your teeth that might be a good idea.

I have developed a gum habit for sure

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Philthy posted:

I don't know the logistics of this, but we all aren't relying on Pfizer to do all the heavy lifting are we? Can't the government(s) set up production labs everywhere and pump these fuckers out day and night and distribute them all themselves?

lmao. Also, most likely the US government will be in shutdown, soon.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

This is me. I've noticed my teeth aching and im constantly clenching them since this poo poo started. Sometimes I'll have 3-4 teeth ache for days until I make a true effort to stop clenching. It really loving sucks.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Philthy posted:

Given how badly the Trump administration's Covid response taskforce under Jared Kushner hosed up a whole bunch of basic supply chain stuff already, I think everyone's a lot safer if we just let Pfizer handle that side of things. :v:

It's even more complicated than usual because Pfizer has never produced an mRNA vaccine for market before, the tech is still brand new.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

teen witch posted:

Lol work from home is rescinded again! I get to go back to and fro and commute for no reason FOR A WEEK. We literally have a week until the office is closed for the holiday for drat near a month.

they even mentioned in the email how well everything is going working from home and then to take it away? Why? I don’t even have the option, I have to go in to a more and more infected city because office morale :roflolmao:

Speaking as someone who got called back in after 3 months of wfh, it was to justify middle management's existence and not for office morale. gently caress these assholes, please stay safe Teen Witch

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Man we are fuuuuuucked. 100,000 people will die this month. Merry Christmas!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

teen witch posted:

go to work in the biggest gas mask you can find, maybe greeble it if so inclined

should do wonders for morale

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Mithaldu posted:

go to work in the biggest gas mask you can find, maybe greeble it if so inclined

That mask is cool as gently caress where do i buy it

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

my company discontinued wfh right when the 2nd wave started to hit badly in ontario due to "performance issues"

also to thank us all for our hard work coffee, tea and hot chocolate is now free in the cafeteria until the end of the year
empty gestures cost nothing.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

my company discontinued wfh right when the 2nd wave started to hit badly in ontario due to "performance issues"

also to thank us all for our hard work coffee, tea and hot chocolate is now free in the cafeteria until the end of the year
empty gestures cost nothing.

My MegaCorp’s initial response was also free coffee, which served as a reminder that they charge us for coffee. Soon afterwards coworkers began dying and it made the news so they sent us home.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Reading all these stories of moron bosses/corporate in the face of pandemic makes me even more thankful that I’m self employed.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Philthy posted:

Other than it being a brand new tech, manufacturing doesn't generally work that way. Like you can't just throw up a new factory overnight, it takes months and months once you actually know what you're making and how it's made. At least with the Pfizer labs they can retool similar existing manufacturing capacity and utilize existing supply chains.

IIRC a lot of Pfizer's delays have to do with issues down the supply chain like trouble getting the chemicals and components they need in good enough quality to create the vaccine so dozens of government vaccine factories, even if you somehow magically created those extra factories overnight it would mean poo poo all if they can't get the materials they need to actually manufacture the vaccine.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mithaldu posted:

I put a camera on my mouth. Then slap a pair of big rear end headphones on it for good measure

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

smoobles posted:

That mask is cool as gently caress where do i buy it

a japanese artist made it by buying a 3m series 6000 half face respirator and then greebling it, which means he just glued a ton of random technical looking items on it

when i need the image i just search for japanese cyber mask tbh

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Okay so

We're at 1800 new cases a day and it keeps climbing.

1 in 250 people currently have the virus.

1 in 70 have tested positive since the beginning of March.

They claim the data shows most transmission comes from in-home gatherings so that's banned and almost all business are allowed to still be open.

Then they go and say 82% of cases had unidentifiable sources. A couple weeks ago that percentage was 63%.

They claim we'll have a significant drop in another week due to banning in-home gatherings, but if they don't know how the vast majority of infections were spread, will we?

I mean, if it does, cool. But I'm not so sure you have the best data set to be working from.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

which country?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Okay so

We're at 1800 new cases a day and it keeps climbing.

1 in 250 people currently have the virus.

1 in 70 have tested positive since the beginning of March.

They claim the data shows most transmission comes from in-home gatherings so that's banned and almost all business are allowed to still be open.

Then they go and say 82% of cases had unidentifiable sources. A couple weeks ago that percentage was 63%.

They claim we'll have a significant drop in another week due to banning in-home gatherings, but if they don't know how the vast majority of infections were spread, will we?

I mean, if it does, cool. But I'm not so sure you have the best data set to be working from.

Every government knows it is schools, workplace, restaurants. But they will never admit that.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

which country?

I believe they are talking about Alberta based on the numbers.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Manitoba seems to be taking is seriously, but Kenney and Moe are dipshits in the rest of the prairies and refuse to sacrifice business for the public health.

If you want to visit with more than 6 family members at a time, you can't do it at home-- go to a bar and do it there. Real advice.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Starks posted:

I believe they are talking about Alberta based on the numbers.

Yep, Alberta. Every day I feel better about staying isolated. Loving my hermit life right now.

Jason Kenney is one of the absolute worst pieces of poo poo in politics but because he has power over a relatively small number of people, he's not really known for it outside of Canada.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

...chemicals and components they need in good enough quality...

A very good observation. In my experience anything to do with commercial lab work typically requires solid quality assurance and quality control in regard to reagents and components. FWIW I can receive a shipment of reagents from the de facto primary vendor/manufacturer who has done their own QAQC on a product with decades of consistently reliable use and we still need to validate it in-house through our own QAQC prior to putting it into production.

AKZ fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 5, 2020

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Still insane if I felt like boarding a plane in Seattle and walking around Disney World I could be doing so within 24 hours without breaking any laws.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

A fun reminder: most of the people who caught COVID at their absolutely necessary Thanksgiving dinners last week are likely in the "contagious but not yet symptomatic" phase right now. So maybe push that grocery store trip out a couple of days if you were planning one for this weekend.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Still insane if I felt like boarding a plane in Seattle and walking around Disney World I could be doing so within 24 hours without breaking any laws.

Spotted during my travels on the Lowe's website.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

WaffleZombie posted:

A fun reminder: most of the people who caught COVID at their absolutely necessary Thanksgiving dinners last week are likely in the "contagious but not yet symptomatic" phase right now. So maybe push that grocery store trip out a couple of days if you were planning one for this weekend.

Yeah, I just went today in the late morning when it wasn't busy. Figure I got enough to last me the month outside of quick trips to 711 or whatever.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
People who just have to go on vacations this year are seriously terrible. Save your goddamn money for once and go somewhere even better next year. Just extreme selfishness.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

People who just have to go on vacations this year are seriously terrible. Save your goddamn money for once and go somewhere even better next year. Just extreme selfishness.

Dude I work with is blaming the lockdown for his divorce because "we couldn't go out to eat or go anywhere, we were just stuck home all day" until she realized, whoa, I married a simpleton whose idea of "retail therapy" is buying guns, and hit the ol' eject button.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Cthulu Carl posted:

Dude I work with is blaming the lockdown for his divorce because "we couldn't go out to eat or go anywhere, we were just stuck home all day" until she realized, whoa, I married a simpleton whose idea of "retail therapy" is buying guns, and hit the ol' eject button.

its mind boggling how many couples aren't also best if not very good friends. I just don't get the point in marrying someone who you don't enjoy spending time with. When I was younger I worked 80 hour weeks at an opposite schedule from my wife so we could make ends meet. We barely saw each other and we lived together. Being able to spend what will likely be over a year together at home is the only good part of this horrible virus. Its like we actually get to make up for lost time together that I never thought we would get back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

its mind boggling how many couples aren't also best if not very good friends. I just don't get the point in marrying someone who you don't enjoy spending time with. When I was younger I worked 80 hour weeks at an opposite schedule from my wife so we could make ends meet. We barely saw each other and we lived together. Being able to spend what will likely be over a year together at home is the only good part of this horrible virus. Its like we actually get to make up for lost time together that I never thought we would get back.

I was kind of irratated being in my own apartment by myself when this started months back, now I'm so glad.