Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
They're always at their best trashing liberals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Toph Bei Fong posted:

:shrug:

And then there was the scandal where an internet person tried to hire themselves as a sensitivty reader for the podcast, and threw a temper tantrum when no one on the show wanted to accept said offer to join the cast and have control over what happened on it, resulting in this very carefully worded legal statement:

A bit interesting that someone with supposedly extensive experience being bullied online would attempt to online bully their way into a job, but (probably) not a sex thing.

lol wtf

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

And then there was the scandal where an internet person tried to hire themselves as a sensitivty reader for the podcast, and threw a temper tantrum when no one on the show wanted to accept said offer to join the cast and have control over what happened on it, resulting in this very carefully worded legal statement:

A bit interesting that someone with supposedly extensive experience being bullied online would attempt to online bully their way into a job, but (probably) not a sex thing.

absolutely no way I’m reading that but your description is funny thanks

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i skimmed it and it seems like everything u would expect from a podcast run by people who are barely a step up from improv actors

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
According to uspol the drunk ranting lady has a record including an obscenity charge for sending a woman a video of herself loving the woman's ex-husband

She rules

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Zedhe Khoja posted:

They're always at their best trashing liberals.

They were started to ridicule the inevitable Hillary Clinton administration and now Biden is giving us everything she would have and more.

It's going to be a great few years for making GBS threads on the libs.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
wtf I get why they call themselves critters now and I hate it even more

I like D&D but IMO hearing other people talk about their campaign is like hearing them talk about their dreams - it means nothing to me, no context will make it interesting to me, it's self-indulgent and not one-tenth as clever or meaningful an anecdote as you think it is

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Deified Data posted:

wtf I get why they call themselves critters now and I hate it even more

I like D&D but IMO hearing other people talk about their campaign is like hearing them talk about their dreams - it means nothing to me, no context will make it interesting to me, it's self-indulgent and not one-tenth as clever or meaningful an anecdote as you think it is

There was one I listened to a long time ago that was fun but everyone was drunk doing it and I skipped every episode that was a combat scene

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Rude Tales of Magic is good, especially when they do sex stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Weembles posted:

They were started to ridicule the inevitable Hillary Clinton administration and now Biden is giving us everything she would have and more.

It's going to be a great few years for making GBS threads on the libs.
What's going to be the excuse for supporting Democrats now that the dang Cheeto is out of the White House?

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Jesus Christ, you don't have to give absolutely everyone the time of day because they said you "silenced" them or whatever on the Internet.

Halloween Jack has issued a correction as of 16:46 on Dec 4, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Halloween Jack posted:

Jesus Christ, you don't have to give absolutely everyone the time of day because they said you "silenced" them or whatever on the Internet.

it's part of their positioning as a business: people listen to that kind of show to be comforted, to be distracted, to see completely safe stage-conflicts. they retain their audience by doing things that are consistent with those needs, as opposed to, i dunno, selling daesh t-shirts. which is obviously a good move for a different kind of show.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm trying to bully my way onto the Cum Town crew by claiming they need a sensitivity reader. As someone with a long history of being gay with my dad, I feel the experience will help me bring a perspective that the show badly needs. They discuss the issue often, but I'm not sure they have first hand experience with it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

it would be a good bit if one of their guests just broke down sobbing the first time they made a gay with your dad joke on an ep

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Doc Hawkins posted:

it's part of their positioning as a business: people listen to that kind of show to be comforted, to be distracted, to see completely safe stage-conflicts. they retain their audience by doing things that are consistent with those needs, as opposed to, i dunno, selling daesh t-shirts. which is obviously a good move for a different kind of show.

sounds gay

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i tried watching that Great British Bake-off show, and while i can appreciate the conscious craft behind it, i simply cannot mentally inhabit so plush and non-threatening of a world for even half an hour. at least give me someone to despise!

also i've been dieting for most of the year so images of beautiful baked goods just anger me

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

i tried watching that Great British Bake-off show, and while i can appreciate the conscious craft behind it, i simply cannot mentally inhabit so plush and non-threatening of a world for even half an hour. at least give me someone to despise!

also i've been dieting for most of the year so images of beautiful baked goods just anger me

it's like they use the Rick Moranis laser to shrink down everyone to go live in a snow globe or a Polly Pocket play set to make the most waifish pastries

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The best part is when the contestants make absolute garbage and everybody is very polite and nice about it but you can clearly tell that their failure is tearing them up inside.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm guessing they threatened to sue for breach of contract, CR called a lawyer to certify that no breach had occured because there was no contract, and the person parasocial relationshiped into a meltdown.

It's not too uncommon for online folks to have a person glom onto them and refuse to let go. And I can see how someone would fall into the trap of chatting with someone online for a while, telling them all their darkest secrets, looking forward to chatting more, and making more out of the relationship than there was on the other side. See also, people falling in love with their therapists and all the ethical training that is supposed to keep the therapist from getting hurt or taking advantage of the situation.

Philosophy Tube did a pretty good video on this subject and how he deals with it.

Ollie Thorn posted:

I've done a few videos about mental health, and very often people write to me saying that they've been helped by those videos or even occasionally that those videos saved their life, which is an awesome and humbling thing for someone to tell you. But some people will message me their entire medical history, often detailing their mental trauma at great length in rambling, unstructured prose like a Ulysses of suffering.

And obviously some people need therapy and that is okay.

God knows I do!

But when I get messages like that, I feel kinda weird 'cause their need is genuine and it's sad that they're in pain, but they've fallen too deep into a parasocial relationship to the point where they are begging for help from an unqualified stranger. One of the consequences of cuts to public mental healthcare is that people in pain will reach out to anyone that they can reach.

Number four, a particularly dangerous species, the Stalkers.

And I've had a few. The classic image of a stalker is a man in a trench coat calling you at three a.m. to breathe heavily because he wants power over you.

And I have had a couple a bit like that, but to be honest the majority of my stalkers, and certainly the most serious ones, are women who fall too deep into that parasocial relationship and think that I'm their friend.

So they don't even realize that it's weird to send me hundreds of messages, to volunteer to do jobs for me without being paid, to ask detailed questions about my sex life, to request pictures of my body, or buy me clothes that I didn't ask for.

All of those are things that a real friend or partner might do, but again, these people do not know me. They only know the scripted and edited version of me. And it's pretty wild that that's just become part of my life now. When I do live events I have to request additional security and it's bizarre how fast you adjust to that, honestly.

Number five, the Horny People.

And I've wanted to talk about this on the show for a while. Obviously I do make stuff that is pretty horny sometimes with the costumes and the jokes and the props.

It's actually a surprisingly good way of getting people to engage with the educational stuff. I get a lot of messages like, "Oh, that was a really sexy costume. Also, here's what I think about "the philosophy we were talking about."

Also, it is fun and I enjoy being desired.

So I do get a lot of horny messages from fans (and other creators!) and a lot of very positive comments about my appearance, the vast, vast majority of which is totally fine and okay. But I do just wanna highlight some of the bits that are less than okay.

First of all, I'm a man, I'm 6'1 and I'm pretty big. That doesn't mean that I'm invincible, and I have been assaulted before, but if somebody's being horny towards me, it's likely to be a situation that I can control. And if I report a problem, I'm likely to be believed.

Unlike a lot of my YouTube and acting colleagues who are women, if someone sexualizes me, it doesn't usually come with a risk to my physical safety, which is why I'm okay with the vast majority of thirst that comes my way. What does make me a little uncomfortable though is when people get too deep into a parasocial relationship and start asking me to abuse it.

I'm not talking about the people who comment, "Philosophise me, Daddy!" as a joke.

I'm talking about the people who send me explicit, lengthy fantasies of the violent sexual things they want me to do to them.

I'm talking about people who out of nowhere send me their dating profiles or their nude photos, which, by the way, I delete without opening.

I'm talking about the people who pretend not to know who I am on dating apps so that they can meet me.

I'm talking about the people who turn up to my live theatre shows in skimpy outfits, get into the changing rooms, and solicit me for sex.

And I suspect that some guys will be sitting there thinking, "Oh, wow, life must be really hard for you! Oh, the tears of the Chad! I wish I had your problems, buddy!" And if that's you, then that's a little creepy because you're essentially wishing that you had more opportunities to take advantage of people.

These are consenting adults and they are pursuing me, but they are making themselves vulnerable on the basis of a relationship that is not real, and I would not feel morally comfortable going there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IG0Y63LkDM

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ac/dc is the greatest workout music ever

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Philosophy Tube did a pretty good video on this subject and how he deals with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IG0Y63LkDM

Ah perfect, a video from a huge creepy pervert, just what i need to cure my brain

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

thotsky posted:

Chapo is getting back into the groove recently. Virgil and Amber seem like they're enjoying themselves.

good to know. they were kinda iffy there for awhile. i've kinda bounced around and fallen about a month behind now, in part due to being stressed and busy with work but also free-time being sucked up into other things like Sekiro in which i can't listen and game.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

nobody else has written as good a song about doing fat chicks as ac/dc and that includes queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDDVR31mMhY

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Slanderer posted:

Ah perfect, a video from a huge creepy pervert, just what i need to cure my brain
i'm the sock indent on his leg

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

The best part is when the contestants make absolute garbage and everybody is very polite and nice about it but you can clearly tell that their failure is tearing them up inside.

I read somewhere that if someone fucks up one of the hosts will go yell horrible cusses next to them so that they can't use the footage of the person loving up, which is insane

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Xaris posted:

good to know. they were kinda iffy there for awhile. i've kinda bounced around and fallen about a month behind now, in part due to being stressed and busy with work but also free-time being sucked up into other things like Sekiro in which i can't listen and game.

It's the first time since Bernie where I've actually wanted to listen through an entire episode. That's probably partly on me, but the energy does seem a lot more like the good old days.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/kos_data/status/1334921589826215938

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Dumper Humper posted:

I read somewhere that if someone fucks up one of the hosts will go yell horrible cusses next to them so that they can't use the footage of the person loving up, which is insane

saying slurs on camera to make sure production can only use the footage that is twee enough

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

time to move to albania

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
Bake-Off rules you heartless bastards

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

saying slurs on camera to make sure production can only use the footage that is twee enough

It's kind of adorable to me in the same sense that like, gordon ramsay reassuring a small child and helping them fix their simple mistake on master chef jr is

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it's pretty cloyingly nice

there was a big scandal one year when someone ruined another person's cake by taking it out of the freezer and they made it out like he was the bad guy because he had a bit of a strop and threw it in the bin, how rude

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

XMNN posted:

there was a big scandal one year when someone ruined another person's cake by taking it out of the freezer and they made it out like he was the bad guy because he had a bit of a strop and threw it in the bin, how rude

these are grounds for execution in the quaint baking duchy, and by execution, I mean a stern talking-to

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Dumper Humper posted:

Cultivating a space explicitly designed to not function off of a Kitchen Nightmares level of profiting off human misery is insane??? The turn of most media to bizarre conflict narratives and stock violin effects to create discord is way more insane than preventing vultures from using footage of brown people crying on TV

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah the host slur thing is actually kinda nice lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

but enough about cum town bits

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Saman posted:

Cultivating a space explicitly designed to not function off of a Kitchen Nightmares level of profiting off human misery is insane??? The turn of most media to bizarre conflict narratives and stock violin effects to create discord is way more insane than preventing vultures from using footage of brown people crying on TV

i dunno, gordon ramsay has always struck me as having a genuine drive for making the restaurants and people he does shows on put a real passion and drive into their cooking. like the dude just really loves good food and making it the right way. if you watch past the first critical third a lot of episodes are actually pretty uplifting stuff

at least i often come away from it with a better understanding of what a high functioning kitchen looks like and why a person would pursue that. it's not a bad show beside the typical reality tv trappings it gets caught up in

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

XMNN posted:

Yeah that was so loving weird. Like, I can see the point that if he had at presented the hosed up melted cake they would've at least been able to judge it on some of the merits unrelated to melting. But nobody even got mad at the lady. If you weren't paying close attention you wouldn't have even known that one of the other contestants did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Hooplah posted:

i dunno, gordon ramsay has always struck me as having a genuine drive for making the restaurants and people he does shows on put a real passion and drive into their cooking. like the dude just really loves good food and making it the right way. if you watch past the first critical third a lot of episodes are actually pretty uplifting stuff

at least i often come away from it with a better understanding of what a high functioning kitchen looks like and why a person would pursue that. it's not a bad show beside the typical reality tv trappings it gets caught up in

I realized just now that I meant Hell's Kitchen rather than Kitchen Nightmares, tho even on the latter the US version is much crueler to the participants than the UK version. I'm mostly talking about the manufactured discord that became the bread and butter of modern 'reality' TV in the wake of like, Big Brother popularizing the antagonistic narrative between participants. Gordon Ramsay himself is a genuinely good (or presents himself as such) person with a very critical eye towards his passion so I allow him his dick tendencies because he works so hard to genuinely make a functioning outfit in the end and has genuine moments of care and connection with people outside of the angry yelling man show