Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jerusalem posted:

Hey, Sulla may have been a murderous monster, but at least he voluntarily gave up power and hosed off at some point!
Sure - after he killed literally everyone who could conceivably pose a threat. Had Caesar done the same, he would probably live to be 80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

ungulateman posted:

jung is a moron who's nearly as batshit as freud, agc

Fine, but without him we wouldn't have Shin Megami Tensei.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

The Australian and British press seem really fixated on the fact that Biden said "c'mon man" once.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yes Stantis, I'm sure you and your side would rather have "a good showing down-ballot" than the Presidency.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

That's cool. In my country the prices for masks almost doubled the day after they becsme mandatory. For many it is s real concern that they can't afford the masks.

If you're poor and can't afford masks I would imagine that you can't afford to make it out of t-shirts either.

The thing is public health experts know this and we solved it, albeit in a half-assed way that isn't all that loving useful due to overall poor management. Back in March Hanes retrofitted one of their factories to make cotton masks which went to public health outfits to distribute. I got a pack of 5 when I got tested back in August. I don't know if that's still going on since we're stuck in this lovely holding pattern of waiting on a government that gives the slightest gently caress again.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Isn't Jung like Freud at this point where actual psychiatry rejects him as a bunch of garbage?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xander77 posted:

Sure - after he killed literally everyone who could conceivably pose a threat.

Ironically one of the few people he spared was Caesar!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It amazes me there are still Jordan Peterson stans out there after even the universe itself has repeatedly dunked on the man. There isn’t a single thing you can point to that was win for him, just failures of lesser degrees

He set a generation of angry young men on the path to nazism, and no amount of falling apart like a wet turd can take that away from him.

there wolf posted:

Isn't Jung like Freud at this point where actual psychiatry rejects him as a bunch of garbage?

The psych majors I know basically sum up both as "they had some great ideas and some awful ideas; the former developed into psych 101 and is now considered obvious, so people only remember the latter."

I forget what the specific innovations were, but I think Freud was the first person to suggest that it helps for people to be talked through their mental state and figuring out if it's influenced by past experiences? Or at least the first person to develop it into a now widely adapted method of treatment.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

there wolf posted:

The thing is public health experts know this and we solved it, albeit in a half-assed way that isn't all that loving useful due to overall poor management. Back in March Hanes retrofitted one of their factories to make cotton masks which went to public health outfits to distribute. I got a pack of 5 when I got tested back in August. I don't know if that's still going on since we're stuck in this lovely holding pattern of waiting on a government that gives the slightest gently caress again.
Given the "in my country" qualifier you might be talking to someone where that wasn't the case.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

there wolf posted:

'utterly reject' is strong, most psychs don't think anyone should be literally 100% rejected unless they're full on 'the aliens in your brain make you sad' nutjobs but yea most all their contributions can be regulated to past stuff and nothing that really pertains to modern process. They pioneered a lot of method stuff like...saying it's a good idea to actually talk out issues, or that we have both subconscious and conscious desires that can just as often be contradictory and confusing, both ideas we take for granted now but they DID need to be actually set out as practice before!

But yea the idea that 'I read Jung' is code for 'smart, well rounded, intellectual' is some boomer dumbassery

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

"Do You Hear What I Jeer"

Never noticed before how cute he draws animals.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Jurgan posted:

Fine, but without him we wouldn't have Shin Megami Tensei.

Tsk, that's Persona.

skeleton warrior posted:

Rall will never go Qanon, as that would involve believing that there is some secret Q who knows more and is a better leader than Rall himself.

I mean that's true, but it'll just mean that he'll make himself Q. It's not like he's ever been above lying.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Wait, does Leak intend for us to sympathize with the person reading Mein Kampf?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

The Haitian posted:

Wait, does Leak intend for us to sympathize with the person reading Mein Kampf?

It's an edit.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Kuros posted:

It's an edit.

drat. First time I've been fooled by one.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

Is this how halftime works in any sport? Is Fishman maybe thinking about the mid-inning break in baseball? Have I not been paying enough attention to football? :confused:

I was trying to figure this out too, the only one I can think of is maybe one day cricket, but they don't call the break "half time".

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Opinions posted:

Given the "in my country" qualifier you might be talking to someone where that wasn't the case.

I know Alzarhad is in... Finland? Not sure, but I know it's not the US. But the discussion was set off by a US toon, so I was giving info on how the US dealt with the accessibility problem Al was bringing up. It is, as always, the experts whose jobs are to think of this stuff have thought of it, and the resources are there to act on it, if only we had a competent government to coordinate it fully instead of halfassing and giving up when that doesn't fix everything immediately.

And thanks everyone for the proper contextualization of the fathers of psychiatry. I always got the feeling that the whole Jungian vs. Fruedian thing was kind of like saying you were Hippocratic medical doctor, an important name but the field has built on and/or moved past their body of work so much it renders them fairly irrelevant in how to practice modern psychiatry.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 5, 2020

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

there wolf posted:

I know Alzarhad is in... Finland? Not sure, but I know it's not the US. But the discussion was set off by a US toon, so I was giving info on how the US dealt with the accessibility problem Al was bringing up. It is, as always, the experts whose jobs are to think of this stuff have thought of it, and the resources are there to act on it, if only we had a competent government to coordinate it fully instead of halfassing and giving up when that doesn't fix everything immediately.

Norway, I think? Def one of those countries.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kuros posted:

It's an edit.
Still though...

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Haitian posted:

Norway, I think? Def one of those countries.

Alzarhad is from Norway and a Quisling for not posting Zelda here. :yeeclaw:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Yes Stantis, I'm sure you and your side would rather have "a good showing down-ballot" than the Presidency.

In many ways the GOP won the future this year. Locked up every single contested statehouse for the 2020 redistricting (another decade of dominance locked in), locked up SCOTUS for our lifetimes, and defended key Senate seats. The tiny handful of insufferable never-Trump Republicans got essentially everything they could possibly want short of retaking the House outright.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't know about that. There's currently a swelling movement within the Trump diehards to split off from the GOP and form their own party, the Patriot Party, who acknowledges Trump won the election and that Dominion is deep state controlled and CNN and Fox News are the enemy of the people and should be dismantled etc. They've been telling others not to vote in the remaining runoffs to show the GOP they're serious and seem to regard everyone in the party who's not a Trump sycophant as a traitor. I don't know how many of them there are but it's enough that Gingrich is worried.

https://twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/1334480959769620483

If this becomes more than a flash in the pan it does not look good for the near future of the party.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know about that. There's currently a swelling movement within the Trump diehards to split off from the GOP and form their own party, the Patriot Party, who acknowledges Trump won the election and that Dominion is deep state controlled and CNN and Fox News are the enemy of the people and should be dismantled etc. They've been telling others not to vote in the remaining runoffs to show the GOP they're serious and seem to regard everyone in the party who's not a Trump sycophant as a traitor. I don't know how many of them there are but it's enough that Gingrich is worried.

If this becomes more than a flash in the pan it does not look good for the near future of the party.

If the Democrats win the GA run-offs that would materially change the picture. The default/expected result is that they lose narrowly and Republicans subsequently surge in 2022. I've read too many "this time Republicans are really in trouble!!!" narratives over the past 16 years that generally fell apart in a few short months to start buying into these things. Trump was one of the worst candidates in history and the Democrats still couldn't notch a proper wave result in three attempts (2018 was close, but the Dems STILL bled key Senate seats).

E: probably not the right venue for this depressing poo poo though

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 5, 2020

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Lurdiak posted:

Republicans are already a minority and losing a few million people from their ranks will just mean they have to find slightly more hardcore ways to cheat the system to continue winning elections (which shouldn't be hard since they've had so many huge wins the last 20 years). And those "Patriot Party" people, regardless of their current fervor, will eventually have to vote for Republicans again because they'll have no one else to vote for when they can't get anyone into major positions of power because of their relatively small and scattered numbers.

I don't think this will end up coming to anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

UZworm posted:

And those "Patriot Party" people, regardless of their current fervor, will eventually have to vote for Republicans again because they'll have no one else to vote for when they can't get anyone into major positions of power because of their relatively small and scattered numbers.

That's likely, but it presumes the relationship between the GOP's leaders and the hardcore white supremacist base returns to what it was pre-Trump, where the leadership dogwhistles to them and throws them an occasional bone but otherwise treats them like an embarrassing necessity. And many of them are entirely aware that that was the previous arrangement, and they're also aware that Trump flipped that on its head for at least two election cycles, so I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't willing to go back to settling for what they see as scraps.

I certainly don't think this means the democrats or the left will come out on top, but I do think it will make it hard for things to go back to business as usual for the GOP.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The GOP runs on cognitive dissonance anyways, so their voters can easily manage “the elections are rigged!” and “gotta vote to stop dems from taking the Senate!”

Like, at the absolute best there’s a brief schism, kinda like the Tea Party on drugs, until 2022 when they look on in horror as Democrats just tighten their hold on congress because the right-wing vote was split. Then it’s back to business as usual.

Trump holding the GA runoff hostage if the gop doesn’t do more to help him steal the election will be fun to watch though.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Yeah the way i see it conservatives have an Ork mindset. When another election comes around, one right winger will defeat all others and rise to the top and all their base will fall in line almost instinctively .

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Hihohe posted:

Yeah the way i see it conservatives have an Ork mindset. When another election comes around, one right winger will defeat all others and rise to the top and all their base will fall in line almost instinctively .

Well poo poo.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

there wolf posted:

Jung is more relevant to English \ European lit than to psychiatry.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jerusalem posted:

Hey, Sulla may have been a murderous monster, but at least he voluntarily gave up power and hosed off at some point!

That's because "dictator" used to mean something different. It was a temporary and usually short-term post given - not taken - in times of crisis so that someone could make sure that things got done without all the tedious bickering in the Senate. Sulla was the first person to be given the title for as long as necessary instead of for a few months, but he was still obliged to resign once he'd finished the job. It was only Julius who arranged to have himself made dictator for life, giving it the modern connotation of seizing all power.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Jedit posted:

That's because "dictator" used to mean something different. It was a temporary and usually short-term post given - not taken - in times of crisis so that someone could make sure that things got done without all the tedious bickering in the Senate. Sulla was the first person to be given the title for as long as necessary instead of for a few months, but he was still obliged to resign once he'd finished the job. It was only Julius who arranged to have himself made dictator for life, giving it the modern connotation of seizing all power.

I read a sci-fi book recently that featured an alien civilization that would appoint dictators for two year terms, but when they were appointed a black ops team would go dark and spend the next two years studying the dictator's security arrangement and training to subvert it. On the day their term ended, if the dictator didn't relinquish power, the team has orders to start gunning for them.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

I read a sci-fi book recently that featured an alien civilization that would appoint dictators for two year terms, but when they were appointed a black ops team would go dark and spend the next two years studying the dictator's security arrangement and training to subvert it. On the day their term ended, if the dictator didn't relinquish power, the team has orders to start gunning for them.

Isn't there an Italo Calvino short story with a similar idea? That presidents once elected serve only X time and are then killed immediately after, meaning only those who were truly willing to self-sacrifice took the position. Something like that anyway.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
How does someone make that cartoon with a straight face?

"How come nearly half, but LESS THAN half of voters think the election was stolen?! Mighty suspicious!"

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Also, you can totally slimjim the 4" hermetically sealed windows on the presidential limo.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

It's almost like a fat chunk of the electorate lack good will or faith in democracy

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

there wolf posted:

I don't know much about Jung, but Freud is a major historical figure, but one whose ideas no longer govern. You could compare him to an important eighteenth or nineteenth century physicist who threw up a lot of important ideas that advanced the field, but whose explanations of the world have since been replaced. Ideas like the plum pudding model of the atom. Psychodynamics was a provocative and important contribution to the question of how to treat mental illness, it has just been mostly supplanted by better science.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Jung was largely a mystic masquerading as a scholar. He grabbed bits and pieces from dozens go sources and disciplines and synthesized them based on superficial commonality rather than any sort of fact. He sufferered under the extremely common and frustrating misconception that shared elements between myths and religions indicated a shared basis that was diverged from, rather than the actual explanation that folklores influence one another where they contact. His theories are easy answers to complex questions, and are intuitive rather and scientific.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/GrrrGraphics/status/1335254458247180296

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Why do we always get the worst news from this thread? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!