Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Superterranean posted:

related to the same quest: hence the thread title.

yeah I got the thread title right after I posted and had a sensible chuckle to myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

VideoGames posted:

This is my favourite thing about this thread.

It rules. They're SUCH A PIECE OF poo poo OH MY GOD :argh:

Like you THINK you know, but you don't REALLY know until THAT happens lmao

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

sean10mm posted:

It rules. They're SUCH A PIECE OF poo poo OH MY GOD :argh:

Like you THINK you know, but you don't REALLY know until THAT happens lmao

I said it in the original thread, I've never been as infuriated by a story element in a video game as when "it" happens. I mean that in a good way, not infuriated because the game did something stupid or I got stuck, etc.

It's amazing because until then you can almost feel sorry for him. He hosed up but you get the sense that he's genuinely horrified by what he's done. But then the ego kicks in and....

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I said it in the original thread, I've never been as infuriated by a story element in a video game as when "it" happens. I mean that in a good way, not infuriated because the game did something stupid or I got stuck, etc.

It's amazing because until then you can almost feel sorry for him. He hosed up but you get the sense that he's genuinely horrified by what he's done. But then the ego kicks in and....

I hope we can find his underground shelter in the sequel and chuck his dessicated corpse into a pile of poo poo. loving Ted.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think Thebes is almost certainly going to be a location in Forbidden West because of its probable location in Silicon Valley and also who wouldn't want to explore the ruins of some 21st century techno-pyramid.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

My favourite thing about it is how human it is. Faro's final act arises out of a deeply normal form of self-justification. Imagine having to internalise that some decision you made in a meeting, one that seemed so unimportant you can't even remember it, directly led to the complete extinction of life on Earth. You didn't set out to end the world, you just made a single small mistake, you had a moment of arrogance where you were sure you knew better, and now you're to blame for not just the worst thing that has ever happened, but the worst thing that could ever happen. How is that fair or just? How many people could experience that and not feel an intense, irresistible need to build an internal worldview that absolves themself of blame? So Faro constructs a narrative of events where it's not his fault, it's everyone's fault, it's society's fault. Some assume he's trying to prevent future people knowing what he did, but I think the only person he actually wants to hid his actions from is himself, and by the time he does the deed, he's already convinced himself that it really wasn't his fault. What then follows is just the consequence of internalising that belief.

He's not even entirely wrong. He lived in a society that idolised people who are intelligent, rich, and take risks, in a world which solved literally none of the social and cultural factors which were destroying both the planet and the fabric of normal life, and instead decided to just use technology to brute force solutions. He embodies every ideal of what the perfect member of his society should be. A man like Ted Faro could only destroy the world with one email in a society which gave him the power to destroy the world with one email. Any other time, any other place, Ted Faro is just some guy. Maybe a bit full of himself, but just some guy. And the scary thing, the thing which makes the twist of Zero Dawn so good, is that the society that gave Ted Faro that power is practically identical to the one we're living in.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
I dipped into the Frozen Wilds a bit, and goddamn those daemonic machines are not loving around. Even regular scorchers are a pain.

BTW, am I correct in thinking that I can continue those quests if I decide to finish the main questline first?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Missionary Positron posted:

I dipped into the Frozen Wilds a bit, and goddamn those daemonic machines are not loving around. Even regular scorchers are a pain.

BTW, am I correct in thinking that I can continue those quests if I decide to finish the main questline first?

Theres an autosave just before the endgame, but the game doesnt continue after the last fight. You'll have to continue the rest of frozen wilds from that save point.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Plus (part this is not a spoiler) humanity is loving up same as they ever did in Aloy's world. Especially that rear end in a top hat Sylens.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hey thanks for the advice everyone, I guess I just needed to blow off some steam, and also use the ropecaster more. #1 wish for Forbidden West is an eight-weapon wheel.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Reveilled posted:

My favourite thing about it is how human it is. Faro's final act arises out of a deeply normal form of self-justification. Imagine having to internalise that some decision you made in a meeting, one that seemed so unimportant you can't even remember it, directly led to the complete extinction of life on Earth. You didn't set out to end the world, you just made a single small mistake, you had a moment of arrogance where you were sure you knew better, and now you're to blame for not just the worst thing that has ever happened, but the worst thing that could ever happen. How is that fair or just? How many people could experience that and not feel an intense, irresistible need to build an internal worldview that absolves themself of blame? So Faro constructs a narrative of events where it's not his fault, it's everyone's fault, it's society's fault. Some assume he's trying to prevent future people knowing what he did, but I think the only person he actually wants to hid his actions from is himself, and by the time he does the deed, he's already convinced himself that it really wasn't his fault. What then follows is just the consequence of internalising that belief.

He's not even entirely wrong. He lived in a society that idolised people who are intelligent, rich, and take risks, in a world which solved literally none of the social and cultural factors which were destroying both the planet and the fabric of normal life, and instead decided to just use technology to brute force solutions. He embodies every ideal of what the perfect member of his society should be. A man like Ted Faro could only destroy the world with one email in a society which gave him the power to destroy the world with one email. Any other time, any other place, Ted Faro is just some guy. Maybe a bit full of himself, but just some guy. And the scary thing, the thing which makes the twist of Zero Dawn so good, is that the society that gave Ted Faro that power is practically identical to the one we're living in.

This game gives me horrible climate anxiety because while obviously FTF by making machines that eat the ecosystem to poo poo out more machines he's only actually doing the thing we're doing already on a slightly accelerated timescale.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

massive spider posted:

This game gives me horrible climate anxiety because while obviously FTF by making machines that eat the ecosystem to poo poo out more machines he's only actually doing the thing we're doing already on a slightly accelerated timescale.

Faro industries made all their money in the first place with robots that fixed the environment. Don't worry, we aren't smart enough to do that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That's something I love about TF as a character, before he was the man who destroyed the world, he was the man who saved it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Or as Sobeck put it, he footed the bill while others got their hands dirty.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's brilliant writing, and they really sell it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm optimistic for what John Gonzalez did in Forbidden West since this time he didn't have to cobble together a script for a game that was already 3+ years into development.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think we probably have people smart enough to make a bunch of machines that will fix the environment, I just think they will be expensive to build and no one will pay for them, because they'll spend all the money on cops and military.

Least realistic thing about Faro industries is that they once did a good thing.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Has there been any indication that the sequel is going to come out on PC?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sony hasn't said it wouldn't. That's the best you've got.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Sony hasn't said it wouldn't. That's the best you've got.

Well, poo poo. I'm not buying a PS5 for one game, so I guess I'll have to hope for the best and settle for a LP/plot synopsis if it remains exclusive :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sony has said they're "looking into releasing more games for PC" but to be perfectly honest I'm probably not gonna wait that long to play Forbidden West.

Playstations are good for other things too, like for example indie games that you don't want taking up valuable drive space on PC.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Well, poo poo. I'm not buying a PS5 for one game, so I guess I'll have to hope for the best and settle for a LP/plot synopsis if it remains exclusive :(

Forbidden West ain't coming out on PS5 until late 2021 at the earliest so you don't need to make that decision anytime soon. I bet it will eventually come out on PC, but probably not same day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Playstations are good for other things too, like for example indie games that you don't want taking up valuable drive space on PC.

I'm pretty sure another hard drive is cheaper than a PS5.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My GPU has now gotten so big that I cannot comfortably fit another drive into my case #pcgamerproblems

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Sony has said they're "looking into releasing more games for PC" but to be perfectly honest I'm probably not gonna wait that long to play Forbidden West.

PS does have some rad exclusives, but I don't think I can justify dropping 500€ on a console when I just bought a 3070, a new 1440p display, and will probably buy the 5700x when it comes out :v:

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

exquisite tea posted:

My GPU has now gotten so big that I cannot comfortably fit another drive into my case #pcgamerproblems

It's beautiful that modern case makers realized that you can literally mount an SSD anywhere that's flat. My case has spots on the backside of the plate the motherboard mounts to, and a few spots right on the bottom of the case. Now my GPU can grow to enormous sizes.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah I want to play the spiderman games, God of War, the uncharted games and last of us games, as well as Forbidden West. There are probably a few more I'm forgetting about.

My PC is slowly becoming a top-of-the-range-ish one, which is great, but there are still some must-play gaming experiences that I'll never be able to have on it, that I really want to someday get to enjoy once Im done paying off all these PC purchases. If Sonys strategy with releasing HZD on PC was to drive sales of the PS5 down the road with PC gamers, it has certainly worked on me. As a target demographic, they smartly figured out that we are the type to spend our disposable income on hardware that we don't necessarily need in order to enjoy gaming as a hobby, and HZD is a great choice to showcase the whole "Sony Exclusives are quite good, actually, and you might not want to miss out on them" thing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

My dad is going from playing slogging through Fallout 76 on an old i7-970 system, to playing this on a 5800X/RTX 3070, his brain might explode lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

exquisite tea posted:

I had a save opened to Frozen Wilds and I've been playing here and there with the new sharpening filter. It looks like an entirely different game, and Horizon already looks pretty drat good. The level of texture detail is insane.

The meh texture resolution was my only real complaint with the engine after the first couple patches, so this is great to read about

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sean10mm posted:

I like how some of Aloy's "less aggressive" dialogue options are actually savage as hell, just for different reasons.

Sometimes the heart option is maximum :owned::iceburn:

yeah I went through all-compassion on my playthrough; I remember specifically her rebuttal to what's-his-butt with the rock, just before the Proving, being an especially savage touchy-feely response

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

My bet would be in three years or more. The PC HZD release seems like a lure to get PC gamers to buy a PS5, they're not gonna sabotage that anywhere near the launch window.

Cactus posted:

If Sonys strategy with releasing HZD on PC was to drive sales of the PS5 down the road with PC gamers, it has certainly worked on me.
Probably me too, though I'm also interested in those other games you mentioned because I skipped PS4. It'l be a shame to lose the mouse aiming for such a range-focused game though. In playing AC Valhalla on a controller I can't hit a moving target for poo poo.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

My bet would be in three years or more. The PC HZD release seems like a lure to get PC gamers to buy a PS5, they're not gonna sabotage that anywhere near the launch window.
Probably me too, though I'm also interested in those other games you mentioned because I skipped PS4. It'l be a shame to lose the mouse aiming for such a range-focused game though. In playing AC Valhalla on a controller I can't hit a moving target for poo poo.

Sony have said mouse and keyboard will be supported on the ps5, although it is at the system level and therefore will be up to the individual game devs to implement it in their games. I would hope that means first party/exclusives will have it implemented.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Horizon zero dawn will get my 5800x hotter than prime 95 small fft torture test when optimizing shaders lmao, all 8 cores pegged at 100%, what the gently caress are they even doing

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Horizon zero dawn will get my 5800x hotter than prime 95 small fft torture test when optimizing shaders lmao, all 8 cores pegged at 100%, what the gently caress are they even doing

The port is pretty weird in general. Didn't someone figure out that the PC port, for some reason, saturated the PCI-E lane to such an extent that it resulted in stuttering?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the major cause of the PC port's problems before patches was really naive memory management, resulting in big steamy swap files being dumped between RAM and VRAM.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
The ending felt sort of... underwhelming? The cinematic of Aloy finding Elisabeth's body was really touching and good, but otherwise it felt needlessly bombastic and cliched gameplay-wise with the pseudo turret section and the final arena boss battle.

Still, overall the game is pretty loving good.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
What would have been a not-underwhelming ending? I mean, I guess I feel like (description of endgame) the nora, the oseram, and the carja all working together to repel a world-ending threat is pretty whelming. Mechanically, I guess they could have had you fight an actual titan snake thingy, that would have been cool...

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Superterranean posted:

What would have been a not-underwhelming ending? I mean, I guess I feel like (description of endgame) the nora, the oseram, and the carja all working together to repel a world-ending threat is pretty whelming. Mechanically, I guess they could have had you fight an actual titan snake thingy, that would have been cool...

I'm not sure. I think it was the execution that just fell flat for me. It just felt like something I've already seen a million times before. Maybe I'm just getting old :v: .

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Superterranean posted:

For me it was definitely "oh, you just fight the same guy you've fought before." It seems like they ran out of time to create a unique final boss battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Best part of the ending is the oseram weaponsmith who is really horny for both guns and Aloy

Are there any Oseram who aren't real chill?