Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

making the holy mantle an inherent trait of the lost is real good because having it as a passive item made his d4 useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought the point of the D4 was so you could get still play the original version of Lost by using it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

no the point of the d4 is there’s supposed to be a chance that it might actually make your loadout better

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The D4 and the similar dice room (1 and 6 dot I think) make for some pretty odd situations. I usually go for it just for the entertainment factor.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The D4 and the similar dice room (1 and 6 dot I think) make for some pretty odd situations. I usually go for it just for the entertainment factor.

I'll usually go for the reroll unless I have a really powerful attack like Brimstone, Ipecac or any multi-shot upgrade, although I'll take my chances anytime if I have at least one cat item, I often reroll into getting Guppy with the D4 lol

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The D4 (or D100, or D Infinity) are secretly better healing items than the book of revelations/satanic bible/nail. Getting a ton of transformations and potentially an ultra powerful build are just bonuses.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just found a surprisingly terrible combo on today's daily run: Pop + Eye of Belial. I guess Eye of Belial can only damage the same enemy once every few seconds, so you end up with a ton of eyes sitting on top of enemies doing nothing. It probably took me about 5 times as long to kill hush as it would have without Pop.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
I'm currently in the middle of a run with Pop and Lachryphagy. The only damage/tears up I have is the pact. I'm in the womb 2 so far and it's awful. It's taken me 3 play sessions to get this far, I do a couple of floors and have to give up because it's so bad. Only reason I haven't restarted it because I have the start of a good streak going.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pop and lacryphagy are both items that I feel like fall under the "neat idea but usually make you weaker" category.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
New blog post with a look at a new boss

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250900/announcements/detail/2907600256837311278

Also some songs or something big yawn there

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I like all the new tracks we've heard from Repentence, but unless the new mausoleum is as good as Machine In The Walls, I'm going to mod the Mudeth antibirth soundtrack back in the game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I watch Sinvicta's Eden streak videos sometimes and today's really takes the cake for the worst run I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj7Q141gS44

Play it at 1.5x speed so it's tolerable. This really is one of those legendary runs that people would think you're exaggerating about when you tell them how horrendous it was.

The beggar taking 51c to finally pay out followed by the demon beggar immediately giving him experimental treatment is when I was convinced the game was deliberately loving with him

jesus *christ*

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

How the hell did Delirium make it into the game in its present state? I was trying to get the completion mark for the lost on my 3rd save file and had one run where I got there with 9 lives, guppy, polyphemus, and placebo + I'm drowsy. Even with 9 tries I never got one where I could kill him fast enough before getting hit by 2 literally undodgeable mom-stomps. Previously I had thought they were just really hard to dodge, but I had my shadow this time and I noticed that black maggots were spawning from me taking damage before the foot even came down.

So I made it there a second time with another fairly powerful build, 9lives/guppy, tech 1, quad shot, 12 damage, and rune bag. The only runes I have unlocked are jera and algiz so I had a plan where I would go into the room, drop an algiz rune and die like 5 times, then come in with a jera rune and dupe the algiz on the floor so I had a solid 5 minutes of invulnerability. Probably excessive but I wanted to make 100% sure I would win. Then on my first life the bug where delirium turns into Larry Jr. and instantly loses 85% of its hp happened and I won without using a single rune.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

How the hell did Delirium make it into the game in its present state? I was trying to get the completion mark for the lost on my 3rd save file and had one run where I got there with 9 lives, guppy, polyphemus, and placebo + I'm drowsy. Even with 9 tries I never got one where I could kill him fast enough before getting hit by 2 literally undodgeable mom-stomps. Previously I had thought they were just really hard to dodge, but I had my shadow this time and I noticed that black maggots were spawning from me taking damage before the foot even came down.

So I made it there a second time with another fairly powerful build, 9lives/guppy, tech 1, quad shot, 12 damage, and rune bag. The only runes I have unlocked are jera and algiz so I had a plan where I would go into the room, drop an algiz rune and die like 5 times, then come in with a jera rune and dupe the algiz on the floor so I had a solid 5 minutes of invulnerability. Probably excessive but I wanted to make 100% sure I would win. Then on my first life the bug where delirium turns into Larry Jr. and instantly loses 85% of its hp happened and I won without using a single rune.

It's nuts. There's some kind of glitch where the explosion from mom's stomp happens before the stomp. I think you can counter it by being on the move, but that means you have to be on the move for the entire fight.

They've promised a fix, but I don't know if it's coming at the time of Repentence's release or WITH Repentence. Kinda hosed up if they put a fix like that behind a paywall.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

It's nuts. There's some kind of glitch where the explosion from mom's stomp happens before the stomp. I think you can counter it by being on the move, but that means you have to be on the move for the entire fight.

They've promised a fix, but I don't know if it's coming at the time of Repentence's release or WITH Repentence. Kinda hosed up if they put a fix like that behind a paywall.

After the first run or two I realized that you had to always be on the move but not even that seems to save you from the mom insta-stomps. I was even taking care to not move in straight lines, I think that sometimes it's just straight up undodgeable.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Speaking of bosses with way too much health, I'm having a fair chunk of trouble with Greedier Mode. I kinda suck at this game and just can't get a run there that's actually capable of clearing that much super-armored HP without like, Gnawed Leaf or Chaos Card or insane Guppy runs. Are there tricks? I've done all the post-its before but at this point I do not recall how cause it's been years.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Speaking of bosses with way too much health, I'm having a fair chunk of trouble with Greedier Mode. I kinda suck at this game and just can't get a run there that's actually capable of clearing that much super-armored HP without like, Gnawed Leaf or Chaos Card or insane Guppy runs. Are there tricks? I've done all the post-its before but at this point I do not recall how cause it's been years.

Do you know how to break greed mode with a D20? I feel like it shows up on >1/3 of my greed runs. Otherwise gold-ultra greed is actually really easy, if tedious. Just run to a corner, wait for him to jump over to it, then run to the next corner, taking care not to run under his jump-path. You have to take care to dodge his bomb coins and the occasional shockwave, but I've beat him on weak runs that take 5 minutes to kill him using that strategy several times.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah once you know Greedier's patterns he's pretty easy. Always stay out of the line of fire from the doors' brimstone shots and beyond that just move corner to corner, staying one step ahead of him.

In other news after clearing the post its about a month ago I've decided to pick the game up and start going for the remaining achievements. I've been working on the 'win five daily challenges in a row' and got the Nintendo easter egg today. Needless to say I didn't make it because it was only giving me absolutely trash items. I was lucky and found a red candle in one of the shops but it was only able to carry me so far. Is there a trick to that one or are you completely at the mercy of boss drops?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Yeah once you know Greedier's patterns he's pretty easy. Always stay out of the line of fire from the doors' brimstone shots and beyond that just move corner to corner, staying one step ahead of him.

In other news after clearing the post its about a month ago I've decided to pick the game up and start going for the remaining achievements. I've been working on the 'win five daily challenges in a row' and got the Nintendo easter egg today. Needless to say I didn't make it because it was only giving me absolutely trash items. I was lucky and found a red candle in one of the shops but it was only able to carry me so far. Is there a trick to that one or are you completely at the mercy of boss drops?

I was only getting Zelda items like the candle, boomerang, map and etc. I used a joker card on floor 1 to get duality and went for the angel rooms over devil rooms when they appeared, which was a mistake because they were universally garbo. I made it to womb 1 entirely on the strength of the red candle but some totally bogus room finished me off.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Just found out about the synergy between sprinkler and tractor beam (the sprinkler shots get added to the beam as long as you're fairly close to it, dramatically increasing your rate of fire), with sharp plug on the top for extra goodness.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Last game I had the holy trinity of blank card + car battery + tarot cloth. I popped one Algiz rune at the start of Delirium and it was still going after I cube of meat'ed him to death. I'm going to miss uber Blank Card when it gets nerfed.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

Last game I had the holy trinity of blank card + car battery + tarot cloth. I popped one Algiz rune at the start of Delirium and it was still going after I cube of meat'ed him to death. I'm going to miss uber Blank Card when it gets nerfed.

There's appearently a new Blank Rune active item, for all your battery-related gamebreaks. But that makes me wonder if Starter Deck is also going to turn runes into tarot cards in Repentance.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It would be cool/super OP if they added a rune-starter deck.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just found a totally bonkers combo that I'm sure people have discovered before but it's new to me, damnit:

For some reason if you Void a Sacrificial Altar it gets added to the Void effects rather than just used like most 1-off actives. Birds spawned by the Eve's bird foot trinket can be sacrificed with the altar effect. So with my extra charge items I was getting a new free devil deal item every 3 to 4 rooms. If anyone was wondering the Pentagram is what starts spawning repeatedly when you exhaust the devil deal item pool.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It working with Eve's bird is a new one to me, didn't know that counted as a follower to sac. There's also a convoluted process where you can abuse it with Li'l Delirium. Sac Altar will permanently kill LD...unless you gain a new follower at which point he'll magically come back. Both Isaac's Head and ???'s Soul will both helpfully trigger this to happen on demand (and presumably the bird will too, though less on demand).

The one thing to be careful about is Car Battery. Weird poo poo happens when you combine it with voided Sac Altar. On the plus side, you seem to get two items for one follower, even though that logically shouldn't be possible. On the down side, it tends to generate one sac altar item, immediately void it out (which may or may not even give you stats properly), then generate the second one.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Just learned that Tammy's Head copies your tears more-or-less "as they current exist", so if you charge up a Chocolate Milk shot before popping the Head you get a barrage of full-power tears.

(current run has those two plus Hemolacria so I walk into a room, hit space, and everything melts)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

On an unassuming run Tammy's head isn't anything special (though what is, really) but still a good option. High-powered runs might not need the extra power but it definitely takes things to the next level in a way no other single item does.

Started doing Eden runs after the conversation about streamers doing such, Isaac's (the game) not as trivial as I had taken it for. I do wish the end bosses were harder though, it seems you either play poorly / gently caress up early or steamroll everything.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Some Goon posted:

Started doing Eden runs after the conversation about streamers doing such, Isaac's (the game) not as trivial as I had taken it for. I do wish the end bosses were harder though, it seems you either play poorly / gently caress up early or steamroll everything.

There's definitely a curve to it. One heart starts, miserable starting stats/item combos, bad room layouts, unlucky champion spawns, and the occasional just awful boss variant make Basement 1/2 an Eden graveyard. Caves is either a cakewalk or a nightmare on the back of specific portal rooms and whether or not you get Flooded Caves. Depths difficulty is pretty static and by that point you've hopefully gotten some kind of win condition even if it's meager. Runs that just barely crawl through Womb/Cathedral/Chest do exist but they're thankfully rare.

Isaac is generally pretty easy, but has an awful lot of health. For me that fight tends to hinge on how fast you can get him into his final phase. Blue Baby can still be a legit challenge for certain builds, but yeah usually you've snowballed by that point. The real difficulty of the Chest comes from all of the bullshit boss you really hate x2 rooms...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

John Murdoch posted:

The real difficulty of the Chest comes from all of the bullshit boss you really hate x2 rooms...
hello it's me The Adversary here is some brimstone for you

have you met my twin brother he has a present for you it's some brimstone

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Some Goon posted:

On an unassuming run Tammy's head isn't anything special (though what is, really) but still a good option. High-powered runs might not need the extra power but it definitely takes things to the next level in a way no other single item does.

I was running the Pong challenge recently and got Tammy's Head in something like the 4th room. That was a fun run.

I think Tammy's Head shots actually do more damage than a regular tear. Even if you're at base damage they'll still 1-shot a fair amount of stuff. And of course it's absolutely ridiculous with brimstone or even Azazel's mini brimstone.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
New blog post, this time about three new enemies and the roles they're intended to fill.

Details about changes to existing items, according to the wiki:

Wiki posted:

- A Pony only has a 2-room charge.
- Tech X got an updated animation. The laser ring seems to start slightly big, then quickly shrink a small amount. The laser properly fades out when it touches a wall. It also seems to deal damage differently altogether. The ring only seems to hit twice, once on each side of the ring, instead of being a continuous hitbox. It also seems to deal a very small amount of knockback.
- ???'s Soul familiar is wondering around the room despite Isaac not having him as a trinket nor in the item tracker.
- In the last frame of Holy Eyes gif, Isaac releases a giant puff of black smoke after taking damage. This is quite possibly a new visual for black hearts being depleted.
- 20/20 now appears to have a 0.75x damage multiplier, as in the gif no other damage ups are active but Cat-O-Nine Tails which still grants +1 damage; the damage shown as 3.89 is 75% of the expected 5.19.

And the price for Repentance will apparently be $14.99:
https://mobile.twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1337468970408951809

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
rip tech x and 20/20, two good items that were too good for the world

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I mean Tech X IS basically game breaking so I get it but... that's real disappointing. Same goes for 20/20. I guess they want to keep brimstone as king

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Honestly, I would have preferred nerf tech X's damage (even more) but keep the ring damage ticks so it can stay the best at proccing Guppy/status effects. Makes it feel different from the other tech and brimstone and mom's knife, you know?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Those new enemies look cool as hell

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Tech X might be un-takeable on certain runs if the sizing is the same. I don't know if I want big rear end tears with a giant safe zone for enemies in the middle, that sounds annoying. I definitely get why it needs the nerf though, every time I get a d4 or d100 it stops when it gets to that item.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume this is part of a much wider item rebalance pass. Can't really judge those changes in isolation IMO.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I'm disappointed with the change to 20/20 but even still a 50% damage buff is a top tier item. Tech X I'm just bored of for being so op so meh.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

With 20/20 nerfed it'll finally be The Wiz's time to shine :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Sinvicta had a very close call today on Eden run 993 of 1,000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nM4djJ1UJY

Lotta self-inflicted wounds imo. Had everything he needed to win, then took Libra for the movement speed (completely tanking his dps). Later he declines to take Mom's Knife and doesn't say why.