Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Kifisonfire posted:

This game is so loving dumb sometimes

https://i.imgur.com/9NPWfC0.mp4

Keeper with Swallowed Penny, Ipecac, Haemolacria, Magic Mush and Tech X was broken enough. Then I get to Hush and find Prop and Nails. Almost felt guilty killing Hush.

I feel like you could have done this in five shots instead of six if your fifth shot had hit Hush instead of his ADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I feel like you could have done this in five shots instead of six if your fifth shot had hit Hush instead of his ADS
Probably, the Tech X rings would've killed the ADS anyway, plus I had some blue flies that would've done some nice damage. Hush armour be damned, was a fun "fight" though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Keeper is a challenge character (at least outside of Greed Mode) and that's OK. Way less bad than the original version of The Lost

e: with that said I think I ended up breaking the game in some way with Keeper a pretty high percentage of the time. There are a bunch of shop items and trinkets he can go off with

He's a character I have zero interest in playing for any reason other than completion, and I know I'm far from alone there. A big part of the problem for me is a lot of the stuff that makes him challenging is also just not very fun, like the low speed and fire rate. It's like starting with a terrible Eden roll every time.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Keeper has higher DPS than regular Isaac if you can hit all 3 shots, which you often can against bosses. It actually scales very well due to Keeper's high base damage and the fact that his triple shot doesn't affect his tears cap (he can fire as fast as normal isaac with enough tears up).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Keeper has higher DPS than regular Isaac if you can hit all 3 shots, which you often can against bosses. It actually scales very well due to Keeper's high base damage and the fact that his triple shot doesn't affect his tears cap (he can fire as fast as normal isaac with enough tears up).

I know that, but bosses aren't the problem, it's when you walk into a room designed to have you kill something or take evasive action immediately and he just can't. For example I recently lost a keeper run because I got a room where you had to destroy some poop piles to hit switches while something like 5 turrets and a ipecac turret shot at you. My rate of fire was low enough that I couldn't destroy a poop pile in less than 1 ipecac turret cycle so I died (the area you initially have to work with isn't big enough to dodge an ipecac shot). He's the only character I run into the "you simply don't have the right build to survive this room problem" more than extremely seldomly. His triple shot not having inner eye's speed cap is neat but actually being able to take advantage of that is vanishingly rare outside of broken runs. The character is wildly unpopular for a reason, and that's not because people just don't get how he works.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Y'know, that just made me think. If they had an unlock to make Keeper a Hanged Keeper and start with flight he'd be infinitely less hated.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Keeper would be fine as a challenge character if he started with a speed up pill like maggy does. Him being stupid slow on top of everything else is just mean.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I hate that his coin hearts count as red hearts in all the worst ways. It's super hard to get angel/devil deals. Triggering polaroid/negative is impossible. Picking up abaddon instantly kills you (can keeper D4 into abaddon?) etc...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tyrone posted another blogpost today and with it the new Mines theme
https://m.soundcloud.com/the_binding_of_isaac/fissure-mines

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Tyrone posted another blogpost today and with it the new Mines theme
https://m.soundcloud.com/the_binding_of_isaac/fissure-mines

I've played for like 1000 hours with the music off, but this slaps. Going to have to reenable it when the expansion drops. I do wish he'd go into more game change details in these blog posts, kind of lame to see ones that are exclusively all about the music. Makes me think the gameplay isn't as far along as he'd want us to believe if he won't talk about it... but then again his previous announcements have always been how much he loves the music.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they should've found a way to work that high-pitched beep that sounds like it's coming from inside your room into the song, as a tribute to Mudeth

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

I do wish he'd go into more game change details in these blog posts, kind of lame to see ones that are exclusively all about the music. Makes me think the gameplay isn't as far along as he'd want us to believe if he won't talk about it...
Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I assume they'd have to be pretty far with the gameplay. The Mines and their alt-floor were already playable at the PAX demo last year.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I finally got around to playing as the Keeper a few days ago. Totally understand the posts earlier itt talking about how brutal he is. JFC

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Isn't the new expansion mostly the Antibirth mod with the serial numbers filed off?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

queserasera posted:

Isn't the new expansion mostly the Antibirth mod with the serial numbers filed off?

It seems like it's going to be Antibirth x2, since there'll be alt floors as well.

Kifisonfire posted:

Which mod did you use? I can't be hosed with Hush after dying to him a few times.

This one. Makes you automatically heal if you can afford it, but everything costs money as well.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1293883656

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 6, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

and just like that bitching in the thread fixed it for me. finally managed to break through on normal difficulty and beat isaac- securing the wooden nickel. now time to fill out this post-it on hard :unsmigghh:

and as a bonus the game gave me a missing poster and sacrifice room in the cathedral- so I unlocked The Lost too!!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

queserasera posted:

Yeah basically they've got the person (people) behind Antibirth onboard officially, and they're going to take all the Antibirth content, roll it into the official game, and expand on it. Supposedly this final expansion will be "sequel-sized."

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Augus posted:

they should've found a way to work that high-pitched beep that sounds like it's coming from inside your room into the song, as a tribute to Mudeth

Besides the crash prone alt-floors and the broken unlockables, the beep on the basement and mines track was the worst part of Antibirth. I can't tell you how many times I've paused the game to check on my smoke detector because of those beeps.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I watch Sinvicta's Eden streak videos sometimes and today's really takes the cake for the worst run I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj7Q141gS44

Play it at 1.5x speed so it's tolerable. This really is one of those legendary runs that people would think you're exaggerating about when you tell them how horrendous it was.

The beggar taking 51c to finally pay out followed by the demon beggar immediately giving him experimental treatment is when I was convinced the game was deliberately loving with him

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I watch Sinvicta's Eden streak videos sometimes and today's really takes the cake for the worst run I've ever seen

Play it at 1.5x speed so it's tolerable. This really is one of those legendary runs that people would think you're exaggerating about when you tell them how horrendous it was.

The beggar taking 51c to finally pay out followed by the demon beggar immediately giving him experimental treatment is when I was convinced the game was deliberately loving with him

Yikes, he probably would have lost if he hadn't found a gold bomb and donation machine on the same floor. His luck turns around a good bit in the last 5 minutes, though.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yup. It’s a great example of how you can salvage a win even when the game is doing everything in its power to stop you.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

PIZZA.BAT posted:

The worst I ever saw from him was his No Cards, Coins or Chests challenge run. Oh man was that dreadful. Don't know how he pulled that one out. He never backed out of the challenge though either no matter how bad it looked.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had a dogshit run today where I barely squeezed by into the Hush fight. Thought I was just gonna restart because there was no way I was gonna win.

Second chest have me Chaos Card!

That I completely whiff. I never remember how to throw them in the moment.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Hot take, I think he made that run unnecessarily harder on himself. Don't blame him for passing on floor 1 Marked, but he missed some obvious avenues to have guaranteed power *now* over painfully waiting for to get a tiny bit of power later. 7 Seals was definitely riskier than Contract at that amount of health, but it would've made the rest of the run vastly easier (and by the end he was suicidally bombing his way through fights anyway). Once he bombed the donation machine for 99 coins, that seemed like an obvious sign that Magic Fingers was worth hanging on to (especially with Contract helping to refuel it). Skipping four way shot and Abel entirely seems silly to me; neither are run-winning items but I'd rather have more shots on screen than less. (Plus Abel is perfect Sac Altar fodder.) Capped off by eschewing Guillotine at the end. I certainly don't like it all that much either but I'd take the extra tears and damage in a heartbeat.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 15, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Hot take, I think he made that run unnecessarily harder on himself. Don't blame him for passing on floor 1 Marked, but he missed some obvious avenues to have guaranteed power *now* over painfully waiting for to get a tiny bit of power later. 7 Seals was definitely riskier than Contract at that amount of health, but it would've made the rest of the run vastly easier (and by the end he was suicidally bombing his way through fights anyway). Once he bombed the donation machine for 99 coins, that seemed like an obvious sign that Magic Fingers was worth hanging on to (especially with Contract helping to refuel it). Skipping four way shot and Abel entirely seems silly to me; neither are run-winning items but I'd rather have more shots on screen than less. (Plus Abel is perfect Sac Altar fodder.) Capped off by eschewing Guillotine at the end. I certainly don't like it all that much either but I'd take the extra tears and damage in a heartbeat.

I remember from OG Isaac, there was like a pity timer on items that would improve your odds of getting an item from the secretly-marked "special" pool of OP items. I don't know if that carried over to Rebirth, but if it did, it would be a reason to skip 4-way shot and Abel.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Inzombiac posted:

I had a dogshit run today where I barely squeezed by into the Hush fight. Thought I was just gonna restart because there was no way I was gonna win.

Second chest have me Chaos Card!

That I completely whiff. I never remember how to throw them in the moment.

Chaos Card got a lot easier for me when I realized the fight will be immediately over and I can't miss if I'm literally touching them. It's worth taking a heart or two of damage in order to close the gap and be 100% sure you won't miss

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

He's almost at 1,000 wins on his streak. You don't get to that number by taking unnecessary risks. I've been burnt by 7 Seals before and while I'll normally take it, if I was going for a world record streak it would definitely be on my 'never pick up' list. I'm fairly sure he skips Abel because he has a general aversion to familiars in general unless they provide a ton of value due to them cluttering the screen and causing confusion in really difficult rooms. The four way shot I can't explain him skipping.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

He's almost at 1,000 wins on his streak. You don't get to that number by taking unnecessary risks. I've been burnt by 7 Seals before and while I'll normally take it, if I was going for a world record streak it would definitely be on my 'never pick up' list. I'm fairly sure he skips Abel because he has a general aversion to familiars in general unless they provide a ton of value due to them cluttering the screen and causing confusion in really difficult rooms. The four way shot I can't explain him skipping.

I think the simplest thing to say is that to me it's a calculated risk rather than an unnecessary one. :shrug:

I do understand the general aversion to familiars I guess, though having been in situations so dire that ???'s Soul or Demon Baby were prominent power spikes it's hard for me to be totally ungrateful to have one, particularly Abel who's otherwise a "free" take that doesn't clog up first or second position.

Loki's Horns (and Mom's Eye) do have a critical downside, which is that they interact pretty poorly with Ipecac/Dr. Fetus/Epic Fetus for obvious reasons. So I guess it's better to avoid Horns entirely so it doesn't effectively block those much better, almost certainly run-saving options. In hindsight, that one's fair enough.

All that said I guess I just feel like oftentimes I see streakers struggle through runs because they become so risk-averse that it actually makes the game harder. Like if they refuse to ever, ever pick up blind items outside of boss drops and maybe devil deals, then the game gives them curse of the blind three floors in a row so they willingly item starve themselves rather than dare risk picking up the dreaded Soy Milk or Isaac's Heart. Or are so utterly inflexible that 80% of the item pool is "bad" and therefore functionally doesn't even exist.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Abel in particular can unexpectedly shoot bombs or enemies right into you, I'm pretty sure that's why he doesn't take it. It's also extremely weak, I doubt it would have made much difference, I feel the similarly way about 4 way shot.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Marked is pretty good if you enabled mouse control.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Any risk that can be avoided is an unnecessary risk in this case.

Even if it couldn't the odd bomb, abel's pretty worthless; I can't think of a single time in my hundreds of hours of playtime where it's done anything besides gently caress off far away from anything.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Abel can easily deal with the womb/sheol doppelgangers if you're in a bad spot and he synergizes very well with the extension cord trinket

if you're in a situation where Abel is a useful familiar, the run itself is in big trouble lol

For a truly useless item, feast your eyes on the black bean

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

There's clearly some rules about secret and super secret rooms that I haven't seen before because he's often completely certain about placement and nearly always correct. He calls the secret room placement after revealing like 3 rooms of the floor.

The only ones I had before are:

1. Secret rooms border 3 rooms if they can, never bordering the boss room. (This doesn't even seem to be true 100%. Sinvicta calls a 2-room bordering secret room where there's a space bordering 3.)
2. If no 3-border space is available, they'll spawn in a 2-border space most often next to special rooms.
3. Super secret rooms can only border 1 room, and they're more common close to the boss room.

From what I can tell from watching a couple of his videos, it's got something to do with placement near the starting room or maybe patterns in the structure of the whole floor.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

There's clearly some rules about secret and super secret rooms that I haven't seen before because he's often completely certain about placement and nearly always correct. He calls the secret room placement after revealing like 3 rooms of the floor.

The only ones I had before are:

1. Secret rooms border 3 rooms if they can, never bordering the boss room. (This doesn't even seem to be true 100%. Sinvicta calls a 2-room bordering secret room where there's a space bordering 3.)
2. If no 3-border space is available, they'll spawn in a 2-border space most often next to special rooms.
3. Super secret rooms can only border 1 room, and they're more common close to the boss room.

From what I can tell from watching a couple of his videos, it's got something to do with placement near the starting room or maybe patterns in the structure of the whole floor.

An addendum to rule number 1: each of the three bordering rooms has to have an accessible wall. You can usually rule out many options as one of them will have some sort of a gap on one of their bordering rooms.

I have no idea how he gets it right so regularly though.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
You tend to get a sixth sense for it eventually. I'm like 80%+ accurate at guessing a regular secret room having only seen one side, just from the room layout and where it falls in the level map. Likewise the super secret room is easy to guess: it'll be 1 or 2 rooms away from the boss unless there's a dead-end spur near the boss room then it'll likely be off of that. You get used to what room layouts are more likely to border a secret.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

kemikalkadet posted:

You tend to get a sixth sense for it eventually. I'm like 80%+ accurate at guessing a regular secret room having only seen one side, just from the room layout and where it falls in the level map. Likewise the super secret room is easy to guess: it'll be 1 or 2 rooms away from the boss unless there's a dead-end spur near the boss room then it'll likely be off of that. You get used to what room layouts are more likely to border a secret.

Yeah, I'm the same. It feels like there are certain room layouts its way more common on that others, and fairly often I'll walk into a room and go "Yep, secret room is here". I'm not 100% on it, I am sometimes wrong, but I'd definitely say 80% accurate is about reasonable.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Unrelated to the current discussion but I just had to express how much i hate Envy, the worst most boringest enemy in the game. If i run into Envy on the first floor of a run before I've picked anything up I'll just reset

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, I'm the same. It feels like there are certain room layouts its way more common on that others, and fairly often I'll walk into a room and go "Yep, secret room is here". I'm not 100% on it, I am sometimes wrong, but I'd definitely say 80% accurate is about reasonable.

There are absolutely a ton of rooms, often with pits/rocks/whatever shaped like an arrow or triangle, that 90% of the time indicate a secret room. There are also some secret room indicator rooms that simply have a completely unobstructed wall adjacent to the secret room (that is, the entire wall of the room, not just the part with the secret room door). You just start recognizing these pretty easily once you play the game enough. Not every secret room will have one of these rooms pointing to it, but I'd guess the majority do.

The top secret room is a lot trickier, I feel like you mostly have to use heuristics rather than looking for certain giveaway rooms. It's also super swingy since like half of them are duds but a few are insanely good, nothing like wasting 6 bombs to find a black poop+spikes room.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Unrelated to the current discussion but I just had to express how much i hate Envy, the worst most boringest enemy in the game. If i run into Envy on the first floor of a run before I've picked anything up I'll just reset

I feel like the game has a "lovely-Eden-start" detector that drastically ups the chance of running into super Envy in your first two or three rooms.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 16, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Super secret also trends towards shop. If you get a 3-exit room with entrances to both boss and shop, decent odds the fourth wall is super secret. An oft-forgotten exception to all of these rules is that if the map inexplicably has a long spindly route terminating in nothing but a dead end - no special rooms of any kind - then the SSR is probably at the end of that path. Oh, and IME super secret rooms tend to juke away from the preceding rooms' direction. That is, if there's a conspicuous N/S path leading to a dead end, it's more likely for the SSR to be E/W off the final room.

Another protip for secret rooms (both kinds, but usually more relevant for normal ones) is that a secret room exit can't ever spit you out into unavoidable enemies. This renders a lot of walls or entire rooms unambiguously invalid for connecting to the secret room due to their initial layout, even if there's no other obvious reasons why not.

And finally, this is a bit more "seeing the code" but you can also make educated guesses towards secret rooms based on the map generation itself. It's not 100% reliable but Basement and Caves especially tend to gain otherwise-inexplicable side rooms that basically just exist to fully (well, 3/4ths) enclose a secret room or give a super secret enough room to breathe.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Apparently Sinvicta talks about "arrows" when it comes to finding secret rooms, as illustrated in this post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Sinvicta/comments/cwtb8h/the_sinvicta_isaac_secret_room_arrow/
Basically it seems like there are some room layouts that only spawn when they have 3 doors attached, and if one of them is the secret room that's a dead giveaway.