Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Speaking as a native-born west texan, what's hilarious about this is that they think immigrant californians are voting blue. No. Places like Texas and Arizona and Utah are indeed inundated with californians, but they're the loving orange county chuds. That's why they move to perceived conservative paradises like Texas. Migrants from California and other "blue" states are literally keeping the Texas GOP in power. We even have a word for them, alamosexuals, and they inevitably piss their pants and bemoan the state of the world when they realize that Houston and Dallas are not, in fact, full of white supremacist cowboys.

its leftover anger at all the lib carpetbaggers that moved down here in the 80s and 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

a very well constructed post

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Xiahou Dun posted:

eating pecans

I keep thinking this is some weird euphemism that I can’t wrap my head around.

EscapeHere
Jan 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

But, at my infusion yesterday, I heard something unexpected - Most of the nurses are really unsure how they feel about the vaccine. They are all pro-science and anti-Trump, but seeing how his administration has functioned for the last four years has the staff worried it has been poorly rushed by people who don't believe in science. They want A vaccine. But they are terrified of A vaccine quickly brought to market by Trump and Co.

They also say front-line workers should be dosed in waves or severe/unexpected side effects could shut down hospitals.

tldr - Side effects are better than death.

If the EU / Canadian / Australian FDA equivalents also approve it then I think it will help to build confidence. Health Canada in particular have a well known reputation of being extremely cautious and conservative when it comes to approving new medications and tests. For example, they only just approved antigen testing last month, and even then only three devices (out of > 100 waiting for approval).

What WOULD be concerning would be if, for example, the FDA approve it but one or all of the others refuse to certify.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Captain Log posted:

As a guy who gets a monthly infusion of a very new drug at a hospital that has stopped a terminal disease in its tracks, I can say the unknown is better than the known of dying. Could I have severe issues with blood clots in ten years? Almost certainly. But I don't have to use a walker anymore with the added benefit of living more than two years.

(Got diagnosed with ALS, got "down graded" to Unspecified Motor Neuron disease when I responded to IVIG treatment. Still terminal, but IVIG actually reversed some damage and paused the nerve degeneration clock.)

But, at my infusion yesterday, I heard something unexpected - Most of the nurses are really unsure how they feel about the vaccine. They are all pro-science and anti-Trump, but seeing how his administration has functioned for the last four years has the staff worried it has been poorly rushed by people who don't believe in science. They want A vaccine. But they are terrified of A vaccine quickly brought to market by Trump and Co.

They also say front-line workers should be dosed in waves or severe/unexpected side effects could shut down hospitals.

tldr - Side effects are better than death.

The good news is that it's not Trump and Co. creating the vaccine. The US may provide funding or buy vaccines, but Trump didn't install cronies in these labs to hack something together for profit (especially vaccines developed in foreign countries!). There's no reason to assume that these are somehow uniquely dangerous just because of who was running the feds at the time.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

OwlFancier posted:

The AF is the most anime branch, I have seen the swords they carry around.

That's the marines.
In the US at least.
AF is just full of all the weebs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought it was marines too but apparently the airforce do it as well.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/25409/the-usaf-uses-huge-swords-fit-for-he-man-and-the-thundercats-to-honor-officers

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62tnJtLBQzQ

the air force has anime swords, the marines have anime battles

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHm8MeNzadQ

The marines have lots of things.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

I knew exactly what this was gonna be before I clicked on it, was not disappointed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Weird how all those action-packed fantasy ads for the military disappeared right after the invasion of Afghanistan and were replaced by stark scenes of rough-looking people in the rain at night talking about how the marines straightened out their boy and let him escape his dying town.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"Whoever wrote this episode should die!"

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Is this real because lmao

Probably still beats the Royal Marine 'join us and get spiders crawling on your face' though

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
100% real, late 80s I think? I certainly remember seeing it a ton growing up.

Edit: have another

https://youtu.be/thMS1-hFHZA

spaced ninja fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 6, 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

HootTheOwl posted:

That's the marines.
In the US at least.
AF is just full of all the weebs.

I always wondered if you get a medal if you beat that rock monster or what.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I remember being relieved as a child when I read some trivia that Finnish PhD recipients get swords, because that meant I didn't have to join the marines if I wanted my own sword.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn’t there also a US one with a bunch of fantasy where a soldier defeats the old templar from the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and takes the grail? A little on the nose re: American imperialism.

I was never prouder of my high school on the day there was a school-wide announcement that the military recruiters in the lunchroom were required by law to be there and would we please stop jeering them and taking their lunches. 9/11 happened right after I graduated and I wonder if those guys died missing the days when we called them suckers and paid killers but they got to see their families at night.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I may have stayed in of they gave me an anime sword.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

*extreme pedant voice*

That's not respecting the concept of check-mate and even if that's true a knight is one of the few pieces that mathematically can't force a check-mate with just a king.

I had a totally cool and normal up-bringing and definitely talked to lots of girls. Why are you asking.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

How come all their cool laser swords turn into stupid cavalry sabres?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm the skinny pawn with the polearm who doesn't do anything.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

mercenarynuker posted:

How come all their cool laser swords turn into stupid cavalry sabres?

We don't have laser swords yet and when we do the Marines will lose theirs after the first jarhead fries his junk off while trying to film himself frying his own pubes.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Weird how all those action-packed fantasy ads for the military disappeared right after the invasion of Afghanistan and were replaced by stark scenes of rough-looking people in the rain at night talking about how the marines straightened out their boy and let him escape his dying town.

It's a pendulum. When they fail to meet their bullet sponge quota for the year the ads are all about how military service is a learning experience that will give you marketable work experience. When they meet or exceed the quota, the ads talk about how only the bravest and mightiest of Real Men (And sometimes women) can be soldiers

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kavak posted:

We don't have laser swords yet and when we do the Marines will lose theirs after the first jarhead fries his junk off while trying to film himself frying his own pubes.

SPEHSSS MAHREEENS!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BlackIronHeart posted:

Honest question here, how would you deem a vaccine as 'properly vetted'? What are your criteria? I'm genuinely asking this in good faith.

I work for a large biotech and I trust our scientists, I'll take whatever our people deem safe.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I saw an ad today that was about how a teen was very disaffected by social media and couldn't make any real friends, but then he joined the Army and had tons of friends.

Probably the saddest pitch I've ever seen for the military.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

SPEHSSS MAHREEENS!

You joke but

Marine Corps Forces Space Command is here.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I ain't joking.

I was a Navy Hospital Corspman, green side attached to a Marine unit on Okinawa. My last year I was a base EMT. The stupid poo poo I've seen Marines do to themselves and each other would put "burn testicles off with issued duty lightsaber" about the middle of the list.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I ain't joking.

I was a Navy Hospital Corspman, green side attached to a Marine unit on Okinawa. My last year I was a base EMT. The stupid poo poo I've seen Marines do to themselves and each other would put "burn testicles off with issued duty lightsaber" about the middle of the list.

I work with a Marine who hosed up his shoulder to the point of a disability playing something called "trashball" in Afghanistan

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like where he grabs the laser part of the sword with his other hand.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

poo poo. You know the Marines are going to whine until they get space ships that with the ability to do V/STOL landings from forward operating airstrips and other dumb bullshit, and the requirements will gently caress up every other space ship in the fleet.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

I was never prouder of my high school on the day there was a school-wide announcement that the military recruiters in the lunchroom were required by law to be there and would we please stop jeering them and taking their lunches. 9/11 happened right after I graduated and I wonder if those guys died missing the days when we called them suckers and paid killers but they got to see their families at night.

Probably not, only about 7,000 died out of the 3.3M US servicemen who served from 2001-2018 (those are the figures I found and there have been very few deaths since then). At a bit over 50,000 injured maybe they got injured, even a pretty good chance at TBI but the Iraq and Afghan wars haven't been particularly deadly for the US military.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Seems like as good a time as any to plug the military idiots thread in GiP (aptly titled “I can literally smell my burning nuts”)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894960&perpage=40&noseen=1

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

I saw an ad today that was about how a teen was very disaffected by social media and couldn't make any real friends, but then he joined the Army and had tons of friends.

Probably the saddest pitch I've ever seen for the military.

Is that the one where a young guy is approached by a blue hologram version of himself with screens popping up around him and stuff? I thought the message was pretty insidious but at the same time I can't imagine zoomers being very impressed with it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Is freep excited that alito moved up the pa case to before the safe harbor date?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

*extreme pedant voice*

That's not respecting the concept of check-mate and even if that's true a knight is one of the few pieces that mathematically can't force a check-mate with just a king.

I had a totally cool and normal up-bringing and definitely talked to lots of girls. Why are you asking.

This is actually a good recruiting screen based on your reaction:
"Wow cool sword" -> Marines
Your post -> Navy: "Are you familiar with our nuclear engineering program"

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

I work with a Marine who hosed up his shoulder to the point of a disability playing something called "trashball" in Afghanistan

the new york jets play football in afghanistan???

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Always YouTube videos of marines riding those floor cleaner machines

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Doctor Teeth posted:

the new york jets play football in afghanistan???

The NFL really needs to chill it with these international games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
My grandfather fought in the 2nd World War and never ever talked about it. It wasn't until after his death that my father told me that my grandfather had seen a ton of action and had talked about having to kill Japanese soldiers.

He was in the Pacific theatre, fighting for the Brits but he was a kiwi

I barely knew him but I remember enough about the man to know that he sure as poo poo wouldn't take Donald Trump seriously