Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Evig Vandrar posted:

Looking for a game for my dad. He's a fan of turn-based strategies - he likes Panzer General, Civilization, EU, Crusader Kings, stuff like that, and is looking for something new. Doesn't like space/fantasy settings though, so something more contemporary or historical,

The grognard games thread OP has a ton of games that sounds like theyd be right up your Dad's alley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Evig Vandrar posted:

All of these sound good, we'll try one of those probably. Didn't know about Humankind, I loved Endless Legend but he wouldn't play it because of the fantasy element. I'll definitely give it a shot when it comes out.

Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa is arguably the best WW2 hexes-and-counters grand strategy game. The actual strategic fighting is decent but the best part are the relationships aspect especially on the German side. All the major commanders and personalities have their own goals and relationship meters that you have to manage. If you send all the fuel to Army Group Center then not only will the units in Army Groups North and South not be able to move as far, but the commanders of AGN and AGS will be pissed off at you which can affect other decisions and things down the road. You have to decide whether to transmit orders allowing war crimes to happen, if you don't then you're less likely to be tried and executed in a post-war tribunal if you lose the war, but Hitler will be mad at you and be more likely to deny your request in October to send up winter uniforms for the men or he'll fire you as Chief of Staff of OKH which is a game over. If you go along with the war crimes, then Hitler will like you more, then when he decides next month that the entire strategy needs to change and the main focus needs to be the southern oil fields instead of Moscow, you might have the credibility to push back on him and not have to rejigger your entire offense, but now you're also implicated in war crimes. There are constant decisions like this to make along with the actual "order 1st division to move here" kind of gameplay.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It’s terrible. Great story, but the combat isn’t tactical. It’s random, and it’s slow as heck.

My experience was slowly advance. Slowly advance. Enemy tank pops out of nowhere and destroys my poo poo for destroying tanks. I have no idea how I'm supposed to keep my atgms safe because no matter what I do, a tank pops up and destroys it instantly. Keep it back somewhere safe, find a tank, bring my atgm up, set it up and it dies instantly.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What are some good non-Sonic non-vehicle games for going fast? I'm not picky about perspective or genre.

I'm eyeing Titanfall 2 and Super Cloudbuilt. I have a feeling there are more games like this.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Heran Bago posted:

What are some good non-Sonic non-vehicle games for going fast? I'm not picky about perspective or genre.

I'm eyeing Titanfall 2 and Super Cloudbuilt. I have a feeling there are more games like this.

I had fun with FOTONICA.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mirror's Edge still holds up. The sequel is a bit more stop and go from what I recall.'

E:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

thekeeshman posted:

Yeah, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is literally the game you're looking for.

Thanks, I may pick it up over the holidays. If they just plopped a 3d flight model into the first one I would have liked it, so its a pretty sure bet.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 3, 2020

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Evig Vandrar posted:

Looking for a game for my dad. He's a fan of turn-based strategies - he likes Panzer General, Civilization, EU, Crusader Kings, stuff like that, and is looking for something new. Doesn't like space/fantasy settings though, so something more contemporary or historical,

Unity of command?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Heran Bago posted:

Would Skyroads count?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Freedom Planet started as a Sonic fangame but is its own thing now, don't know if that counts.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I want a game that has a multiplayer/group/team/social aspect but that isn't about peak performance. I'm not looking to do like FFXIV savage raiding or like grindy competitive poo poo, but like I want like a casual social game. Does such a thing exist?

I'm not looking for something that would be crazy competitive or grindy. I'm not looking for something that's about shouting at people like Among Us. I want to find a game that's just "hey, come hang out with friends in Discord and play this video game."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Minecraft seems like a good fit for that. I think I've heard that the Anno games also are decent for that?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Astroneer.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Mayveena posted:

Astroneer.

I really want to buy Astroneer, I have played it quite a bit on Gamepass.
But it never ever really goes an any decent kind of sale.
4 year old game but gets down to $20 at its cheapest.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Mordiceius posted:

I want a game that has a multiplayer/group/team/social aspect but that isn't about peak performance. I'm not looking to do like FFXIV savage raiding or like grindy competitive poo poo, but like I want like a casual social game. Does such a thing exist?

I'm not looking for something that would be crazy competitive or grindy. I'm not looking for something that's about shouting at people like Among Us. I want to find a game that's just "hey, come hang out with friends in Discord and play this video game."

Garry's Mod...?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Something cooperative like Deep Rock Galactic or Payday 2?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Is anyone doing arcade racers in the Scud Race/Ridge Racer/Burnout 2/Outrun 2006 mode? I want to drive through aquariums sideways! Horizon Chase is cool, but more Western Amiga-age stuff than the 1995 Sega/Namco vibe I crave.

Sonic and Sega All Stars racing kinda had it, but I didnt play the Sonic only one from a year or so back because Sonic has lame friends.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Deep Rock Galactic or the Borderlands games are my go-to games for just hanging out with friends. Borderlands it helps to have a set group with characters that play through together but Deep Rock players of any level can just jump in with each other.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I miss cop clicker :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

Earth Defense Force 5 on Normal or Hard difficulties

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hwurmp posted:

Earth Defense Force 5 on Normal or Hard difficulties
gently caress yeah EDF 5. I think half my posts in this thread are suggesting that game at this point.

There is still some grind but EDF 5 made it suck less than past games. The drop table curve is (mostly) smoothed out so you can usually play a straight shot through with a pal, and loot/health upgrades apply to every class instead of "Now that I've cleared the game once, I'll try another class-oh they have nothing"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 4, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Ghost Recon Wildlands is pretty good for this

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Mordiceius posted:

Golf With Your Friends. It's only competitive in the way that mini golf is usually competitive, i.e. nobody gives a poo poo unless they're in a league. It's hella chill and I highly recommend it.

Streets of Rage 4, especially on lower difficulties, is basically you and friends sitting around a Sega Genesis like it's 1992. Very simple controls, but it has a surprising amount of depth, for people who want to do more than button mash. That depth is totally optional on Easy and mostly optional on Normal, making it a nice chill game.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Recommend me a game - Earth Defense Force, Monster Hunter, or Streets of Rage

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Redirected here from the steam thread:

I'm looking for a roguelike/dungeon crawler to play online with my boo. Nothing too complicated with too many numbers and stats and stuff. No character creation. No continuing story or human-designed maps. No worrying about whether my ice bonus on my lightning character's laser sceptre does aether frostburn damage on undead dark-types while parrying a reverse buff-burst. 2d or 3d, but 2d is usually a lot tighter gameplay for me. I'm not a serious gamer like my boo is--they play fancy stuff and my favorite PC games are Spelunky and Stardew Valley.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I couldn't enjoy Streets of Rage 4. After playing Streets of Rage Remake, 4 feels like you're crawling through mud. Streets of Rage Remake has you runnin around, dashin and tacklin and jumpin and all kinds of fun stuff. Walking slowly across the screen felt like poo poo.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mescal posted:

I'm looking for a roguelike/dungeon crawler to play online with my boo. Nothing too complicated with too many numbers and stats and stuff. No character creation. No continuing story or human-designed maps. No worrying about whether my ice bonus on my lightning character's laser sceptre does aether frostburn damage on undead dark-types while parrying a reverse buff-burst. 2d or 3d, but 2d is usually a lot tighter gameplay for me. I'm not a serious gamer like my boo is--they play fancy stuff and my favorite PC games are Spelunky and Stardew Valley.

Hammerwatch is a pixel art top down 2d roguelite, plays as a run and gun shooter ala Gauntlet

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Mescal posted:

Dungeonmans is pretty responsive and doesn’t require a bunch of gear decisions.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Naramyth posted:

Dungeonmans is pretty responsive and doesn’t require a bunch of gear decisions.

Also notably not multi-player

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Also notably not multi-player

Reading is hard ok

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mescal posted:

Nuclear throne!

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Disco Pope posted:

Is anyone doing arcade racers in the Scud Race/Ridge Racer/Burnout 2/Outrun 2006 mode? I want to drive through aquariums sideways! Horizon Chase is cool, but more Western Amiga-age stuff than the 1995 Sega/Namco vibe I crave.

Sonic and Sega All Stars racing kinda had it, but I didnt play the Sonic only one from a year or so back because Sonic has lame friends.

Sonic Team Racing (the last game you're talking about) is actually probably the closest Sonic racing game to what you're looking for. It felt a bit more Arcade and a bit less "kart" if you get my drift. Besides for that Split Second is a pretty darn fantastic game but its like ten years old now. I can speak to it holding up just fine though, I played it earlier this year.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

(*Verdant Skies not pictured due to owning it on steam)

What am I missing? I want to make sure I know of all of the Stardew-likes on steam. At least the good ones!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is half Vanillaware-style sidescrolling beat-em-up, half the Dark Souls of rice farming sims. It doesn't have Stardew's relationships or farmstead customization if that's what you're looking for, but it's still a gem.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you want all the stardew-alikes, you gotta play Graveyard Keeper. Although crop farming is much less important than organ farming.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is half Vanillaware-style sidescrolling beat-em-up, half the Dark Souls of rice farming sims. It doesn't have Stardew's relationships or farmstead customization if that's what you're looking for, but it's still a gem.

That's one the wishlist! I'm excited to grow rice, soon!

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you want all the stardew-alikes, you gotta play Graveyard Keeper. Although crop farming is much less important than organ farming.

Ohh, good catch, I didn't think to put that one on the list.

Bonus add: Cattails, it's apparently also Stardew-lite alongside the cat rpg mechanics.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

the Dark Souls of rice farming sims.

:psyduck:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I know, I know, but for once I feel like the comparison is apt

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

I know, I know, but for once I feel like the comparison is apt

From what I understand it simulates like, actual water tables or something real grognardy re: its rice farming, which is insanely cool.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you're willing to count Farming Simulator as a Stardew-alike, take a look at MicroTown. And if you can stand lots of intentional cutesiness (Stardew isn't cutesy, it's adorable, which is different) go look at Ooblets, early access on Epic Games.

Graveyard Keeper is way darker than Stardew; I noped out after I had to burn somebody alive to stay in good with the townsfolk. If you're good with darker, look at Banished, which starts with your villagers abandoned, with a few building materials, in a Nordic climate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

StrixNebulosa posted:

(*Verdant Skies not pictured due to owning it on steam)

What am I missing? I want to make sure I know of all of the Stardew-likes on steam. At least the good ones!

Doraemon Story of Seasons
https://store.steampowered.com/app/965230/DORAEMON__STORY_OF_SEASONS/