Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Voltaire was right, only the completely uncritical and unsophisticated experience happiness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

Voltaire was right, only the completely uncritical and unsophisticated experience happiness

I believe the philosopher Quanxi said it best.

"Ignorance is bliss, Chainsaw".

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

You can enjoy andromeda while still appreciating that it has issues. This thread is deeply weird in its hatred for a game that's honestly pretty decent, when judged on its own merits and not as "the sequel to the game that came to my house and shot my dog, ME3".

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
it's not honestly pretty decent though, remove the mass effect setting and it has nothing going for it

it's just a bad game Jerry!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Moola posted:

it's not honestly pretty decent though, remove the mass effect setting and it has nothing going for it

it's just a bad game Jerry!

the combat is OK I guess?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

the combat is OK I guess?

it could have been, in theory. But the brain dead AI and completely lacklustre encounter design ruins it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Wonder if his career would look different if ME3 had ended differently.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Wonder if his career would look different if ME3 had ended differently.

if ME3 ends with a standard "good job on destroying the Reapers Shepard, here is a slideshow of Your Decisions" then BioWare is on Mass Effect 6 by now with two non-RPG spinoffs and a Netflix series

like I can't stress enough how badly they blew it from this standpoint, they had a franchise they could have milked for decades

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Loved how modding the MEA guns would generally cause them to do worse instead of better despite how many mats I threw at it

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pattonesque posted:

if ME3 ends with a standard "good job on destroying the Reapers Shepard, here is a slideshow of Your Decisions" then BioWare is on Mass Effect 6 by now with two non-RPG spinoffs and a Netflix series

like I can't stress enough how badly they blew it from this standpoint, they had a franchise they could have milked for decades

Yup. I went from playing through 1 & 2 multiple times so I could try different play styles, weapons, and narrative choices, excited to take them all through ME3... to never doing more than my one play through of ME3 and no interest in playing the others. They retroactively killed my enthusiasm for the past games

And then Andromeda came out, I decided to give them one more chance (on sale) and welp.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So after 80 hours my second attempt to get through this game succeeded. Got all planets to 100% (prior to meridian), all companion quests done, movie night and the memory stuff, and most of the side quests.

After giving this game close to three years to breathe and ignoring it, and going back in fresh with lowered expectations, I’m honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed this game. It’s got a lot of padding and I still far prefer every game in the trilogy, but there’s a lot of good in this game.

I think the quests for the missing arks, Ryder’s memories, the companion quests, and movie night, was all very good content. The environment art and graphics are top notch, especially on poo poo like Jaal’s, Peebee’s, and Drack’s missions. The last bit of the game where your racing through meridian was awesome as well. Movie night was a great Citadel-ish bit of content and I loved it.

The companions leave a bit to be desired, but while none but Drack really stood out for me, their banter between each other was really good. I played a female Ryder this time and think her voice actress does a phenomenal job.

I know no one agrees with me, but after beating this I’m really hoping for a sequel to Andromeda. Even set a century later when the races have prospered, there’s a lot of mysteries left to be solved and since this game doesn’t have a cosmic horror for a big bad, revealing these mysteries could be fairly easy to do without ruining the atmosphere.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Yup. I went from playing through 1 & 2 multiple times so I could try different play styles, weapons, and narrative choices, excited to take them all through ME3... to never doing more than my one play through of ME3 and no interest in playing the others. They retroactively killed my enthusiasm for the past games

And then Andromeda came out, I decided to give them one more chance (on sale) and welp.

That's the other thing -- if ME3 ends competently then they probably could have weathered a game as bad as Andromeda. People would have been like "oh wow, something went wrong here, but it's probably a fluke"

instead they're at the point where what they put out kind of has to be perfect. and they're not capable of that

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

So after 80 hours my second attempt to get through this game succeeded. Got all planets to 100% (prior to meridian), all companion quests done, movie night and the memory stuff, and most of the side quests.

After giving this game close to three years to breathe and ignoring it, and going back in fresh with lowered expectations, I’m honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed this game. It’s got a lot of padding and I still far prefer every game in the trilogy, but there’s a lot of good in this game.

I think the quests for the missing arks, Ryder’s memories, the companion quests, and movie night, was all very good content. The environment art and graphics are top notch, especially on poo poo like Jaal’s, Peebee’s, and Drack’s missions. The last bit of the game where your racing through meridian was awesome as well. Movie night was a great Citadel-ish bit of content and I loved it.

The companions leave a bit to be desired, but while none but Drack really stood out for me, their banter between each other was really good. I played a female Ryder this time and think her voice actress does a phenomenal job.

I know no one agrees with me, but after beating this I’m really hoping for a sequel to Andromeda. Even set a century later when the races have prospered, there’s a lot of mysteries left to be solved and since this game doesn’t have a cosmic horror for a big bad, revealing these mysteries could be fairly easy to do without ruining the atmosphere.

I agree that the game is good but I think I'd rather have a sequel set in the milky way.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

this is a lot of words to tell us you have brain damage

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

one of the reasons for ME3's general shakiness (throughout the game, not just the ending) is that EA force-marched Bioware to produce and release ME3 in, what, eighteen months? changing the ending wouldn't stop the developers burning out and it wouldn't stop Bioware wasting years on procedural planets chasing that ME1-feel - only difference would be that Andromeda would probably be set in the Milky Way somewhere

ultimately the only people who cared about the ending were the core fanbase - but most players aren't fans. most players don't even finish the games they buy

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lt. Danger posted:

one of the reasons for ME3's general shakiness (throughout the game, not just the ending) is that EA force-marched Bioware to produce and release ME3 in, what, eighteen months? changing the ending wouldn't stop the developers burning out and it wouldn't stop Bioware wasting years on procedural planets chasing that ME1-feel - only difference would be that Andromeda would probably be set in the Milky Way somewhere

ultimately the only people who cared about the ending were the core fanbase - but most players aren't fans. most players don't even finish the games they buy

Is this true? ME3 came out a full two years after ME2. I thought they had a B Team doing DLC while the main folks were beginning development on ME3.

That said, ME3 is my fave in the series. It’s not as consistent as ME2, but the highs (Genophage and Geth/Quarian Conflict) are higher than the highs in ME2, not including the mostly awesome DLC. Granted, I’m one of the few who isn’t bothered by the ending. It’s got great music and the dialogue between Anderson and Shep is awesome. The Reaper poo poo/Starchild doesn’t bother me.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

ok so I double-checked and original release date was going to be holidays 2011 but they got it pushed back to March 2012

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I remember both Skyrim and ME3 were revealed during the Dec 2010 video game awards and I was super hard regarding these announcements. Good times! Simpler times! Younger times.... :sadfrenchtoast:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
All I wanted was a fuckin upgraded graphic pack for me3 multiplayer

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is IS really surprising that the remaster isn’t touching multiplayer. I figured that’d be a gold mine and a way for BioWare to earn some more cool points.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

chaosapiant posted:

Is IS really surprising that the remaster isn’t touching multiplayer. I figured that’d be a gold mine and a way for BioWare to earn some more cool points money from microtransactions.

yeah really surprised remastered mp didn't happen since it was the most popular part of me3

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I remember both Skyrim and ME3 were revealed during the Dec 2010 video game awards and I was super hard regarding these announcements. Good times! Simpler times! Younger times.... :sadfrenchtoast:

They had that trailer with Coats in Big Ben that wasn’t obviously ME until you saw the reapers descend. Pretty baller

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Is this true? ME3 came out a full two years after ME2. I thought they had a B Team doing DLC while the main folks were beginning development on ME3.

That said, ME3 is my fave in the series. It’s not as consistent as ME2, but the highs (Genophage and Geth/Quarian Conflict) are higher than the highs in ME2, not including the mostly awesome DLC. Granted, I’m one of the few who isn’t bothered by the ending. It’s got great music and the dialogue between Anderson and Shep is awesome. The Reaper poo poo/Starchild doesn’t bother me.

I'm with you that ME3 is definitely not as bad as a lot of people claim, and it does have some really good high moments. But honestly I think the suicide mission of ME2 is a way higher high than anything in ME3, excluding that the final boss is kind of a disaster.

It's just such a great moment after all the build up. ME2 wouldn't be looked at as arguably bioware's best game without it. Outside of that though I'd agree that some of the big plot/set piece moments of ME3 outshine the quests of ME2 by a little bit, it's just that the rest of it is so uneven

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I feel Mass Effect as an IP is pretty much spent. The only way to potentially revitalise would be to return to the content format & direction of the original game. Whether that be some sort of sequel or reimagining. Won't happen though.

After the Anthem flop and leadership / talent departure what cards they still have are riding all-in on DA4 (which may not even get finished). Then into the vault the IP goes, barring a miracle.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

DancingShade posted:

I feel Mass Effect as an IP is pretty much spent. The only way to potentially revitalise would be to return to the content format & direction of the original game. Whether that be some sort of sequel or reimagining. Won't happen though.

After the Anthem flop and leadership / talent departure what cards they still have are riding all-in on DA4 (which may not even get finished). Then into the vault the IP goes, barring a miracle.

Did EA and Respawn break up? I would dig a ME game from Respawn. :hmmyes:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
BioWare probably can’t make another good ME game but there are definitely more good ME games to be made

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

let obsidian do it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

let obsidian do it

Just not the outer worlds team

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ainsley McTree posted:

let obsidian do it

If we're going to dream then I'd rather Obsidian made Tyranny 2. Only in full high budget, no expenses spared 3D.

Pattonesque posted:

Just not the outer worlds team

Also this.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

hell i'd take the outer worlds team over bioware if you gave me the choice

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ainsley McTree posted:

hell i'd take the outer worlds team over bioware if you gave me the choice

If Outer Worlds had a biotic charge power it would have been a better Mass Effect game than we've had recently

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think what we've reached a general consensus on is we'd rather be playing actual good games made by other development teams.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ainsley McTree posted:

let obsidian do it

Mm no.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Has a series ever gone into a long hiatus and then emerged years later with a successful entry? Maybe Wasteland? I thought Wasteland 2 was rough and wouldn't necessarily call it a good game, but I had fun with it and thought Wasteland 3 was great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

prometheusbound2 posted:

Has a series ever gone into a long hiatus and then emerged years later with a successful entry? Maybe Wasteland? I thought Wasteland 2 was rough and wouldn't necessarily call it a good game, but I had fun with it and thought Wasteland 3 was great.

The Shadowrun series, Devil May Cry, Doom, STREETS OF RAGE!!!, etc.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

The Shadowrun series, Devil May Cry, Doom, STREETS OF RAGE!!!, etc.

With a studio as shaky as bioware

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

prometheusbound2 posted:

Has a series ever gone into a long hiatus and then emerged years later with a successful entry?

Elite

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If something good ever comes out of Bioware again it'll be because the company has been completely restructured (aka everybody is fired) and the people who replace them will be somewhat capable of long-term project management. But the initial question was "can a game series bounce back after a long time and be successful" and the answer is definitely yes, although it requires some vision and usually a different studio altogether to accomplish.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The better question is: had a good game ever come out of a studio as completely screwed up as BioWare is right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Eternal Darkness ended up being a really good game despite everything about its development and SK being a total mess at the time. But really it's more like, "who in their right minds would want to work for Bioware right now."