Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Koramei posted:

Reading about South Korea's authoritarian past, I've heard people explain this phenomenon this way: being in a totalitarian regime is mostly not actually that different--when you happen to be one of those within the "envelope" of people that the regime dictates it is okay to be. The issue is when the regime changes that envelope, as it's able to do capriciously

It's alright, for you, until it isn't. It's just the old "first they came for..." thing.
This is the same sort of thing you hear from Russians who lived through the 90s about Putin. Is everything great? No, but things mostly work and people have jobs to go to that aren't being burned down by rival mob bosses and that's a big improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

landgrabber posted:

I listened to you guys's show and thought it was really good. It already sounds really good but if you want audio mixing/production or design work, I'd be absolutely willing to help out

Thanks I appreciate it, it's feizhouxiongdi2's journey of discovery on what it means to be Chinese outside of the CCP's grip.

I'd appreciate any advice you have, we're kind of just figuring it out as we go. Especially the audio, you don't have plat so I can't PM you, but if you email contact@withchinesecharacteristics.com we can chat.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Sorry wrong thread

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1334795593286373377

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
That's the most nothing article ever. There's zero detail and a bunch of posturing.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Gort posted:

That's the most nothing article ever. There's zero detail and a bunch of posturing.

It is certainly part of a trend.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

China has the antifa super soldier serum, gently caress

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

this is literally the journalistic version of 'I saw China in the closet making super soldiers and a super soldier looked at me'

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What uniform and what sigil should Captain China sport? I am thinking Guandao should definitely be the main weapon.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

They gave one soldier all of strong dominant genes and the other all the flawed recessive genes.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

GreyjoyBastard posted:

guy who spent some time in the xinjiang concentration reeducation camps

https://www.varsity.co.uk/interviews/19990

The sheer scale of these things is like a new industrialization of state cruelty.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
There is now a Chinese flag on the Moon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-55192692

E: landing footage from a few days ago
https://youtu.be/VS9zr6MrCiM

Description of takeoff:
https://youtu.be/mBv-QoOkaBk

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 4, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

The US military has a history of doing experimentation on soldiers, so even if this were true China wouldn't be uniquely bad in this regard. I would bet the US military has proposed or may be researching something similar.

E:

GreyjoyBastard posted:

guy who spent some time in the xinjiang concentration reeducation camps

https://www.varsity.co.uk/interviews/19990

Horrible stuff, it also seems to mesh with other accounts.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 4, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Sorry to post 3 times in a row, but wow how did I miss this:

quote:

In defending the detention camps to counterparts, Chinese diplomats have mounted some novel arguments. They have told American officials, for example, that Beijing is applying in Xinjiang best practices it gleaned from studying the United States.

The Chinese argue that the facilities in Xinjiang are no different from the American military prisons in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, where foreign terrorism suspects have been held without trial.

Source

China's government is literally telling on itself by comparing the Uighur camps to Guantanamo loving Bay.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Whataboutism does make sense when it's American official doing the complaining, but you'd hope the practices of the USA would be a low bar to clear and not a gold standard.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Not So Fast posted:

Whataboutism does make sense when it's American official doing the complaining, but you'd hope the practices of the USA would be a low bar to clear and not a gold standard.

They didn't say they copied them and thus meet the same low bar, they gleaned "best practices" from them. Ramping it up from ~1000 people to a million plus and growing, the organ harvesting, rape tables, and the stuff like setting up favored-ethnicity-men with spouses of the people sent off to the camps were their own creative improvements on the already horrible formula. Anyways an Abu Ghraib comparison is at least more comparable w/r/t the torture and rapey elements.

Not that "We're just running 1200 Guantanamo Bays, you see." sounds much better.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 6, 2020

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UROPgnjfdB0

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Now this is how you appeal to the laobaixing of Hong Kong!

Mainland-born, Hong Kong-based financiers launch new Bauhinia Party aimed at reforming Legco, restraining ‘extremist forces’

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3112771/mainland-born-hong-kong-based-financiers-launch-new

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought that part of the basis of Guantanamo Bay was that human and civil rights don't apply because it's not American soil, just land that was rented out.

So I guess that means they're claiming that Xinjiang isn't Chinese soil.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

France is doing it too, apparently: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55243014

Also note the reference to "other nations," plural. I guess cyborg super-soldiers are going to be a thing all over the place now.

Either that, or everyone will end up rejecting the idea as impractical. Hard to say.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 9, 2020

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Silver2195 posted:

France is doing it too, apparently: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55243014

Also note the reference to "other nations," plural. I guess cyborg super-soldiers are going to be a thing all over the place now.
The US has been pursuing this stuff through DARPA and the Army for many years:
https://www.darpa.mil/program/our-research/darpa-and-the-brain-initiative
https://www.vice.com/en/article/xwee47/heres-the-pentagons-terrifying-plan-for-cyborg-supersoldiers

The Western researchers thus far have a strong objection to genetic manipulation but are fine with seeming unlimited control and modification through all other means.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Gene therapy etc has been going on for a long time this is mostly a quip to try to delegitimize the enemy. Even though we tried to recruit psi soldiers in the loving 70s etc and drugged soldiers to see if their intelligence increased

We are loving worse. it is doubtful the US wouldn't utilize gene therapy to increase combat effectiveness.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The Western researchers thus far have a strong objection to genetic manipulation but are fine with seeming unlimited control and modification through all other means.

Can you elaborate?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Gene therapy etc has been going on for a long time this is mostly a quip to try to delegitimize the enemy. Even though we tried to recruit psi soldiers in the loving 70s etc and drugged soldiers to see if their intelligence increased

We are loving worse. it is doubtful the US wouldn't utilize gene therapy to increase combat effectiveness.

I mean, the tweet seems to be implying human testing of these things is going on in China. Is the US shoving cyborg parts into soldiers or genetically modifying them? France stuck a microchip in a pig and there's certainly research into these fields going on in the US and many other places, but that's not exactly the same thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Warbadger posted:

I mean, the tweet seems to be implying human testing of these things is going on in China. Is the US shoving cyborg parts into soldiers or genetically modifying them? France stuck a microchip in a pig and there's certainly research into these fields going on in the US and many other places, but that's not exactly the same thing.

Project MKULTRA did get pretty wild.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Warbadger posted:

China probably just glued some microchips onto PLA soldiers and said "差不多".

Aug 2, 2000

Raenir Salazar posted:

Can you elaborate?
In the West it's acceptable to find genetic cures for disabilities or disease but it's forbidden to create superhuman abilities in people through gene editing. There are no such restrictions with cybernetics.

The view in China is generally that if you can make someone smarter it doesn't matter morally whether you're using a gene therapy or a brain implant. They still have ethics and safety concerns though. There was a Chinese scientist who created an HIV resistant baby and he was arrested. The idea that they're cranking out an assembly line of super soldiers is very sensationalist.

Warbadger posted:

Is the US shoving cyborg parts into soldiers or genetically modifying them?
Right now they haven't produced a viable cyborg product, but they do give volunteers implants for research purposes. They intend to create transhuman soldiers when the technology is ready. One of their successes was a brain implant that improves short term memory. Another was a neural bypass that could route signals around a severed spine and restore motor control. Another human subject controlled 3 simulation drones simultaneously using a direct neural interface. They've also figured out a non-invasive electrical brain stimulation method to increase performance in conventional drone operators.

They have ambitions for many other implant features like the ability to dull pain, wire an HUD or video feed directly to your visual cortex, treat PTSD and depression, increase learning speed to superhuman levels, reduce fear, reduce the need for sleep, heal rapidly, and reduce hunger. Some of that is in combination with drug dispensing implants.

Because of the taboo on genetic enhancement they claim to only research medicine. The former DARPA director noted that they are researching genetic engineering that would let soldiers resist bioweapons and disease. That's clearly smudging the line between medicine and enhancement and eventually they are just going to drop the pretense.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

In the West it's acceptable to find genetic cures for disabilities or disease but it's forbidden to create superhuman abilities in people through gene editing. There are no such restrictions with cybernetics.

The view in China is generally that if you can make someone smarter it doesn't matter morally whether you're using a gene therapy or a brain implant. They still have ethics and safety concerns though. There was a Chinese scientist who created an HIV resistant baby and he was arrested. The idea that they're cranking out an assembly line of super soldiers is very sensationalist.

Right now they haven't produced a viable cyborg product, but they do give volunteers implants for research purposes. They intend to create transhuman soldiers when the technology is ready. One of their successes was a brain implant that improves short term memory. Another was a neural bypass that could route signals around a severed spine and restore motor control. Another human subject controlled 3 simulation drones simultaneously using a direct neural interface. They've also figured out a non-invasive electrical brain stimulation method to increase performance in conventional drone operators.

They have ambitions for many other implant features like the ability to dull pain, wire an HUD or video feed directly to your visual cortex, treat PTSD and depression, increase learning speed to superhuman levels, reduce fear, reduce the need for sleep, heal rapidly, and reduce hunger. Some of that is in combination with drug dispensing implants.

Because of the taboo on genetic enhancement they claim to only research medicine. The former DARPA director noted that they are researching genetic engineering that would let soldiers resist bioweapons and disease. That's clearly smudging the line between medicine and enhancement and eventually they are just going to drop the pretense.

You're talking about non-invasive neural control devices and a surgery to repair a severed spine which are not the same thing as conducting human cyborg experiments any more than the POWERGLOVE was or getting a pacemaker. The short term memory implant thing would be, but it seems like they ran the experiments on people who already had electrode implants as part of a brain mapping program to treat seizures so it's borderline.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 10, 2020

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Warbadger posted:

You're talking about non-invasive neural control devices and a surgery to repair a severed spine which are not the same thing as conducting human cyborg experiments any more than the POWERGLOVE was or getting a pacemaker. The short term memory implant thing would be, but it seems like they ran the experiments on people who already had electrode implants as part of a brain mapping program to treat seizures so it's borderline.

Remember this whole thing is based on a tweet with no evidence or details. Also, when we do it it's fine maybe borderline at most, when China does it its heinous and crosses the line.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 10, 2020

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Remember this whole thing is based on a tweet with no evidence or details. Also, when we do it it's fine maybe borderline at most, when China does it its heinous and crosses the line.

Oh yeah, I doubt China is making cyborg supersoldiers or whatever, this is more in response to "we're worse" thing in response to said tweet. China's probably just researching it as a possibility like everyone else is - but if they're actually doing gene therapy or whatever on human test subjects to make better soldiers then yeah, nobody else is doing that right now.

Also, generally speaking, the country trying to make genocide look better by claiming they're just doing Guantanamo Bay x1200 while also trying to annex a sea (and bits of various neighbors) in the midst of a massive military buildup is probably going to get such things seen in a worse light than most other places.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 10, 2020

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Also, when we do it it's fine maybe borderline at most, when China does it its heinous and crosses the line.

Well, when you remove all context and reduce it to a completely nonsense thought-terminating cliche like this I sure do agree that China Is Doing Nothing Wrong.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

China probably just glued some microchips onto PLA soldiers and said "差不多".

thanks for this racist shitpost, op. really adds to the thread

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Warbadger posted:

lol you're talking about a loving tweet with no sources that's a US military ghoul all "THE GODDAMN CHICOMS ARE MAKIN SUPER SOLDIERS AND JOE BIDEN DOESN'T WANT TO NUKE THEM, THE PUSSY" and you're already trying to explain when we make hypothetical non-existent super people it's actually fine but when china does it it's scary.

Aug 2, 2000

Warbadger posted:

You're talking about non-invasive neural control devices and a surgery to repair a severed spine which are not the same thing as conducting human cyborg experiments any more than the POWERGLOVE was or getting a pacemaker.
The operator controlling 3 virtual drones simultaneously and the paralysis victim also had wires going directly into their brains. Amusingly enough, DARPA also uses pacemakers as an analogy. "We're attempting neuromodulation of the adrenal gland using magnetic nanoparticles so we can remote control your battle rage. Just like grandpa's pacemaker!"
https://www.darpa.mil/news-events/2015-10-05

The goal of their combined research is a soldier that can view information through a visual cortex implant, go days without sleeping or performance loss, mute fear and pain, utilize enhanced strength, shrug off mental trauma, heal at superhuman rates, regulate sleep on demand, and dynamically resist bioweapons. All they're trying to do is create a JC Denton cyborg instead of an Adam Jensen cyborg. You have to be a special kind of agency to inspire at least 3 different Black Mirror episodes lmao.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

"strange feelings re Daisy" posted:

You are a very gullible person.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

DARPA program managers propose dumb poo poo all the time, it doesn't mean it gets anywhere ornus even feasible. Their job is to propose and manage high probability of failure out there stuff.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Spazzle posted:

DARPA program managers propose dumb poo poo all the time, it doesn't mean it gets anywhere ornus even feasible. Their job is to propose and manage high probability of failure out there stuff.

You're telling me they're never building the flying submarine designed to insert Navy SEALs into Bin Laden's compound and come up through his toilet?

quote:

* Flight: The minimal required airborne tactical radius of the sub-plane is 1000 nautical miles (nm). The minimum surface tactical radius is 100 nautical miles. The minimum subsurface tactical range is 12 nautical miles. Note that the ranges quoted are one-way ranges. The platform would need to be able to fly to a location, insert and extract personnel without refueling and this would require the total operational range to be 1000 nm airborne, 200 nm surface, 24 nm under water.

* Loiter: The platform should be capable of loitering in a sea-state five, in theater between inserting and extracting personnel for up to 3 days (72 hours). The craft does not need to be submerged during loitering operations; it can operate at the surface.

* Payload: The platform should be capable of transporting 8 operators, as well as all of their equipment, with a total cargo weight of 2000 pounds.

* Depth: The operating depth of the platform will be constrained by balancing the need to reduce depth in order to minimize structural loads and snorkel complexity with the need to increase depth in order to minimize any potential signatures that could be generated by perturbing the free surface. The effect that the submerged platform will have on the free surface is exponentially proportional to the depth, therefore the platform should be able to operate at a relatively shallow depth and only have the snorkel affect the free surface.

* Speed: The speed of the platform in each mode of operation must allow the system to complete a tactical transit (1000 nm airborne,100 nm surface ,12 nm sub-surface) trip in less than 8 hours. This 8 hour time must include any time required by the platform to reconfigure between modes of operation.

https://gizmodo.com/darpa-working-on-a-submersible-aircraft-that-can-go-fro-5059668

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/nz0g306v8c/china-tainted-cotton

quote:

A marked shift in China’s approach to the region can be traced back to two brutal attacks on pedestrians and commuters in Beijing in 2013 and the city of Kunming in 2014, blamed by China on Uighur Islamists and separatists.

Its response, from 2016 onwards, has been the building of “re-education” camps for anyone displaying any behaviour viewed as a potential sign of untrustworthiness, such as installing an encrypted messaging app on a phone, viewing religious content or having a relative living overseas.

While China calls them “schools for de-radicalisation”, its own records suggest that the reality is a draconian system of internment which aims to replace old identities of faith and culture with an enforced loyalty to the Communist Party.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I haven't posted or lurked in the China thread for a long time, but recieved some peanut brittle in a gift basket and as soon as I put it in my mouth I felt compelled. Merry Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 23, 2021