Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Bad Munki posted:

Pretty sure it’s usually years. Like the better part of a decade.

Or 20 years: https://khn.org/news/ghost-bill-uva-siphons-couples-tax-refund-to-pay-20-year-old-medical-debt/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

azflyboy posted:

Thanks everyone.

Like I said, I've got no issue paying the bill, but the fact that the ER is charging absurd amounts (they billed my insurance $3500 for a covid test, influenza test, and EKG reading that all took less than 90 minutes), and sent the bill with a letter threatening dire consequences if it's not paid promptly (after they took nine months to even send it) just made me curious if there was some kind of way to screw them back.

The emergency room is not your doctor's office. Things cost more in the er. They have everything available at their finger tips. All of that apparatus costs money. So maybe you could have gotten the flu test at your doctor's office but could you have gotten a stat CT with contrast within twenty minutes? Well no. But guess who can? The emergency room can. So by visiting the emergency room you're paying for the access to this vast array of services you may not have used but were available to you should you have needed them.

So yes the emergency room charges more than your doctor's office for the exact same services and they should.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also vast insurance company profits, the huge administrative burden of medical billing, the way nobody can actually cross-shop costs when they need medical care so there's no price competition so it's not a free market at all, etc. etc. etc.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Doctor Party posted:

The emergency room is not your doctor's office. Things cost more in the er. They have everything available at their finger tips. All of that apparatus costs money. So maybe you could have gotten the flu test at your doctor's office but could you have gotten a stat CT with contrast within twenty minutes? Well no. But guess who can? The emergency room can. So by visiting the emergency room you're paying for the access to this vast array of services you may not have used but were available to you should you have needed them.

So yes the emergency room charges more than your doctor's office for the exact same services and they should.

Unless you live in Norway. Then it costs the same (0$).

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Nice piece of fish posted:

Unless you live in Norway. Then it costs the same (0$).

Ah, Norway, land of the free.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wu_HGhc8jy4

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Eerily accurate. Still though, the US should have universal health care and that's no joking matter.

Also, I do not appreciate the whiteface wig nor the dentist hate. Anti-nordicism is a serious problem as is anti-dentitism.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Doctor Party posted:

Are you seriously arguing, in 2020, on the internet, that US healthcare bills are not massively, massively more than they need to be? Or are you just assuming the problem azflyboy has that they charge more at all as opposed to charging an absurd amount?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Organza Quiz posted:

Are you seriously arguing, in 2020, on the internet, that US healthcare bills are not massively, massively more than they need to be? Or are you just assuming the problem azflyboy has that they charge more at all as opposed to charging an absurd amount?

Leaving aside the issues of the overall system, the actual bill submitted to the insurance company is basically monopoly money. What actually gets paid involves some huge complicated pre-negotiated contract.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Organza Quiz posted:

I am arguing that currently in the real world health care in America costs a certain amount. You can accept that or move or choose not to utilize American health care.

He understands the cost his doctors office charges and is astonished the er would charge more. That shouldn't be surprising. A facility dedicated to life saving intervention rather than routine care is more costly.

I am not arguing American health care is right on. I am all for single payer. That being said America has a lot of problems that single payer will not simply solve. Obesity and diabetes in America will not magically reduce to numbers seen in other countries. Our society, life style, food options, types of employment, means of travel etc play a huge role in the way our health is. None of that will be fixed by single payer. So health care in America in some part costs more because we have more sick people. Of course if you remove for profit insurance, allow single payer to negotiate for drugs etc that will save money. But then you probably aren't seeing a real bill anyway it's all part of your taxes.

Doctor Party fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 6, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

“If you don’t want to pay American healthcare prices why don’t you as an alternative consider just laying down in the gutter and dying.”

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Doctor Party posted:

I am arguing that currently in the real world health care in America costs a certain amount. You can accept that or move or choose not to utilize American health care.

Hello, yes, I'm calling because I think I'm sick, but it may be serious. Could you tell me how much a diagnostic EKG costs? Just the EKG in the emergency room, not any other services.

Oh, you won't tell me? Well that makes it difficult to know what I'm about to put myself on the hook for. Guess I'll move to another country.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Doctor Party posted:

He understands the cost his doctors office charges and is astonished the er would charge more. That shouldn't be surprising. A facility dedicated to life saving intervention rather than routine care is more costly.

I am not arguing American health care is right on. I am all for single payer. That being said America has a lot of problems that single payer will not simply solve. Obesity and diabetes in America will not magically reduce to numbers seen in other countries. Our society, life style, food options, types of employment, means of travel etc play a huge role in the way our health is. None of that will be fixed by single payer. So health care in America in some part costs more because we have more sick people. Of course if you remove for profit insurance, allow single payer to negotiate for drugs etc that will save money. But then you probably aren't seeing a real bill anyway it's all part of your taxes.

Gotten your eye prescription checked lately, doc? Cause that there is some myopic loving posting.

Ahem. Legally speaking.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hello judge, I would like to complain that the American health care system is unfair and therefore I shouldn’t have to pay the bill.

What, you’re saying that the fundamental unfairness doesn’t affect the legal enforceability of the bill? That’s bullshit!

Get your bailiffs off of me! Your flag has a fringe!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I screwed up and failed to move out of the country prior to getting in a car accident. None of the medical professionals that treated me after the accident explained to me that my only two options were "medical bankruptcy" or "death."

Do I have any legal recourse here or since I am currently still alive is it sufficient proof that I chose the medical bankruptcy option?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Arcturas posted:

Hello judge, I would like to complain that the American health care system is unfair and therefore I shouldn’t have to pay the bill.

What, you’re saying that the fundamental unfairness doesn’t affect the legal enforceability of the bill? That’s bullshit!

Get your bailiffs off of me! Your flag has a fringe!

Hypothetically, if they billed you $10 billion for your EKG, is that debt enforceable? If no, then why?

Hypothetically, if they waited 100 years to collect, is that debt enforceable? If no, then why?

How does a lay person differentiate what they view as a late, unreasonably high bill from what the law considers a late, unreasonably high bill?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Devor posted:

How does a lay person differentiate what they view as a late, unreasonably high bill from what the law considers a late, unreasonably high bill?

By hiring a lawyer

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

euphronius posted:

By hiring a lawyer

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

euphronius posted:

By hiring a lawyer

But the big question is, when you tell them to move to another country, is that legal advice?

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Being upset American health care costs to much and admitting it is the reality of the situation are not mutually exclusive.

Also my comment about emergency vs office is not specific to America. An emergency room visit literally costs more than a office visit. Whether you pay for it. Or the government subsidizes it or whatever. It's a more expensive encounter. In Norway or USA. That's like me saying it costs more to represent someone for a felony than a misdemeanor and someone replies not in Norway we have free legal services! OK yeah maybe to you but the particular thing still has a cost and the cost of one of them is higher than the other.

Of course we need a better health care system not run by for profit corporations in America. But that alone will not reduce our costs to the same as other developed countries. We have a myriad of systemic problems and this is one of many.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Doctor Party posted:

Being upset American health care costs to much and admitting it is the reality of the situation are not mutually exclusive.

Also my comment about emergency vs office is not specific to America. An emergency room visit literally costs more than a office visit. Whether you pay for it. Or the government subsidizes it or whatever. It's a more expensive encounter. In Norway or USA. That's like me saying it costs more to represent someone for a felony than a misdemeanor and someone replies not in Norway we have free legal services! OK yeah maybe to you but the particular thing still has a cost and the cost of one of them is higher than the other.

Of course we need a better health care system not run by for profit corporations in America. But that alone will not reduce our costs to the same as other developed countries. We have a myriad of systemic problems and this is one of many.

Wow, are you a medical doctor or someting because this is some Doctor Logic at work here (for the purposes of this discussion, assume Doctor Logic is bad).

So yeah, firstly there is no misdemeanor/felony divide with us, it's all just crime as of 2018 (2005). And your gut instinct right there is correct, anyone accused (later indicted and charged) has the right to an attorney of their choice paid for by the state. In fact, you have a right to legal aid in most cases where the government wants to interfere with your life or your property, such as when CPS comes knocking, or someone wants to evict Grandma to build a highway. You see, fundamentally our approach to government is that it is the purpose of the state to provide the people living here with services and to address our problems, to the benefit of all.

One of the effects of that is that a single purchaser or provider of goods and services can determine the price/cost for a service and finance that through taxes. For instance, the state can mandate a single sum paid for all legal aid work for people charged with a crime, or in a CPS case, or getting expropriated, or getting medically investigated for unsoundness of mind and state custodianship, or you're a foreigner seeking asylum or permanent residence, or you're a victim of a violent offense and you need legal aid, or you've been unlawfully detained by police and the list goes on. So while the amount of time may differ, the actual cost per case is determined by the time it takes to process it not by how many pens are in the lawyer's office or whether he's also barred with the supreme court and a rocket surgeon.

The point is, it works the same for medical services. It does not matter at all that the facility that provided care is capable of providing more care or different care. The level of care provided and received was the same, and in a single payer/purchaser/UHC situation the cost to the communal society that picks up the bill is the same. It makes perfect sense for the OP to have a gut reaction to the price gouging being bullshit because it is complete loving bullshit on the face of it.

Now, assuming we care about the plight of regular folks, I also feel I should mention that the loving horror stories that come out of your system make me feel really sad and angry. I recently had some concerning health related problems and since the cost to me was functionally nil I immediately got in touch with my personal - state assigned - doctor and got ordered up a slew of tests, EKG, the full workup. I could do that and not worry a single second, because when you have a system in which everything is priced the same the metric of success is patient outcomes and not whether you can successfully bankrupt the patient. The comparable level of care I received would likely easily run an american patient into five digits of $, a hard sell for a population with ever increasing poverty.

So when the core of your message is this:

Doctor Party posted:

When there is actually no goddamned logical reason why this is A: neccessary or B: acceptable my message to you is that nobody should accept a single loving bill an american healtcare institution issues, nor the insurance companies. In fact, they should probably go delinquent on all of them, every single one of them, at the same time. That's about the level of response that the "real world" of american healthcare deserves, because the basic level of respect and obedience to any law requires a basic foundation of justice and functionality.

The last and final teachings of law is that if a law is unjust it should not be followed. If the functionality of your set of rules is such that it makes people suffer needlessly, or if it creates all manner of unjust outcomes in direct violation of multitudes of human rights laws or principles, that set of rules should disregarded or struck null and void. The norwegian supreme court has done so in certain cases and I'd love for a kind of ordre public or fundamental disagreement with general human rights and decency argument to stick against the enforcement of such bills. I know that would never ever happen in the US, but god drat if I wouldn't love to see that happen.

And to finish out my insane rant

Doctor Party posted:

Of course you do. It probably would reduce your costs because you have no loving idea what UHC in the US would look like, it would probably have such a strong bargaining position the systemic savings alone would bring you on par with the actual developed world. Hell, it would be such an economic boost to the US you should probably factor that in, because while the health benefits are huge so are the ones to your workforce after eliminating medical bills. Your systemic problems are solved with a systemic shift, none of what you mentioned are significant factors or have already been solved in similar conditions in other countries and I cannot believe I'm having to explain that concept to you and the absolute idiocy of American Exceptionalism in the middle of loving The Year of our Covid 2020.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
When Jesus threw out the money lenders, it meant that bills not timely set to me, as ordered by the gospel of the UCC, are invalid and your attempt to collect on them violates my first amendment right to freedom of religion

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

Of course you do. It probably would reduce your costs because you have no loving idea what UHC in the US would look like, it would probably have such a strong bargaining position the systemic savings alone would bring you on par with the actual developed world. Hell, it would be such an economic boost to the US you should probably factor that in, because while the health benefits are huge so are the ones to your workforce after eliminating medical bills. Your systemic problems are solved with a systemic shift, none of what you mentioned are significant factors or have already been solved in similar conditions in other countries and I cannot believe I'm having to explain that concept to you and the absolute idiocy of American Exceptionalism in the middle of loving The Year of our Covid 2020.

If you're ranting to a medical doctor they are so far up the rear end of the system carrying their insane medical school debt they literally can't see a picture this big. And it's the only way to actually change the system. It has to be systemic, starting with med school, and the people caught up in the middle who have already paid for med school, etc are gonna be in a lovely spot and need transitional help. Which is another reason medical doctors don't want to think about that. They signed up for a certain thing, and that thing needs to change radically to make this work for real.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Of course there are benefits to universal health care. I support universal health care.

And yeah I am not a lawyer, so maybe my analogy made no sense. Some issues require more costly legal work and others less. Even if the government provides you with "free" legal representation there is a different cost to the government and society for that representation.

Everyone refusing to pay their bills as you suggest will not have a good result. My point is this is our reality. We should work to fix it. But right now if you get a bill then I'd suggest you either pay it or reach out to a lawyer about the consequences of not paying it. That's reasonable on an individual level fine.

But if everyone just stopped paying the bills as you suggest then 1) patients with the bills will suffer consequences to their credit and face legal ramifications potentially 2) hospitals and doctors offices will struggle financially. If no one pays the bills then you'll see hospitals and services going out of business. Probably those in more under served areas where they are already struggling. The fancy doctors offices and hospitals in rich areas will trim some fat and keep on going. The Medicaid hospitals and offices will just go out of business. So who did that help?

That attitude of just burn it all down is dumb. Of course we need to improve but you're giving bad advice.

And finally there's no free lunch man. Emergency room visits literally cost more than office visits. They just do. And you can say well the cost is split up and subsidized and divided OK fine. But each thing has a real cost and the cost of a er visit is higher than a doctor's office. So in our system an er visit costs the patient more than does an office visit. Not a big surprise. In a universal health care system er visits still cost more even if they're not itemized or billed to the consumer.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Imagine a for-profit insurance and healthcare industry holding itself hostage if you don't allow it to bankrupt and/or kill people, and going along with it.

Maybe we are exceptional in America. Exceptionally stupid.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

BonerGhost posted:

Maybe we are exceptional in America. Exceptionally stupid.

Trump got elected president. I'd say that tracks.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Without wading into this, you might want to call the billing department for the hospital and plead poverty. The list price is usually inflated and you'll possibly knock a zero off. Doesn't hurt to ask.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Doctor Party posted:

That attitude of just burn it all down is dumb. Of course we need to improve but you're giving bad advice.

It's hard to see how things can change when you're right in the middle of it. Perhaps a change of perspective might help; go to Norway, see how they do it. Maybe go visit Nice Piece of Fish in his snow-haunted cabin in the woods. After than, I am sure that you'll never worry about American health care again.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Yea if you didn’t want to knowingly profit off of a corrupt and perversely unjust system, then maybe you should have been a lawyer or something

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Doctor Party posted:

Of course there are benefits to universal health care. I support universal health care.

And yeah I am not a lawyer, so maybe my analogy made no sense. Some issues require more costly legal work and others less. Even if the government provides you with "free" legal representation there is a different cost to the government and society for that representation.

Everyone refusing to pay their bills as you suggest will not have a good result. My point is this is our reality. We should work to fix it. But right now if you get a bill then I'd suggest you either pay it or reach out to a lawyer about the consequences of not paying it. That's reasonable on an individual level fine.

But if everyone just stopped paying the bills as you suggest then 1) patients with the bills will suffer consequences to their credit and face legal ramifications potentially 2) hospitals and doctors offices will struggle financially. If no one pays the bills then you'll see hospitals and services going out of business. Probably those in more under served areas where they are already struggling. The fancy doctors offices and hospitals in rich areas will trim some fat and keep on going. The Medicaid hospitals and offices will just go out of business. So who did that help?

And finally there's no free lunch man. Emergency room visits literally cost more than office visits. They just do. And you can say well the cost is split up and subsidized and divided OK fine. But each thing has a real cost and the cost of a er visit is higher than a doctor's office. So in our system an er visit costs the patient more than does an office visit. Not a big surprise. In a universal health care system er visits still cost more even if they're not itemized or billed to the consumer.

Just quickly since this has gone on long enough:

• Cost: In a single payer system the cost of one treatment, say a suture of a single shallow cut, would take the same amount of time and use the same resources no matter which office or hospital or ER you got it done at. That "cost" may technically differ in some internal accounting in some diffuse way that for the purposes of what you are talking about is completely irrelevant and frankly miniscule on the scale of a national health care system. It's not even worth factoring in. A national economy is not a household and does not function like a private enterprise.

• Lunches: There are no free lunches in life but gently caress me if there aren't extremely cheap and good lunches paid for by the collective to the benefit of all. The point is it's free at the point of use. You know this. You are being disingenuous.

• Non-participation: Your original point is that health care is what it is love it or leave it amirite? Well, the thing is healthcare is not supposed to be a tradeable good/service in a free market. A nation cannot have no health care, it is an inelastic good that nobody can forego. Stone age villages had health care. It is fundamentally immoral to demand payment before care, and demanding people submit to medical bankruptcy after care is functionally the same. Any lawyers ever interpret that "do no harm bit" off of that frat pledge of Hypocrites or something? Seems pretty broad to me, but hey they are probably just words anyway.

So, what does one do when faced with a fundamentally immoral, broken system of a fundamental necessity for getting, say, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness?

Well, you suggested it, actually. Don't participate. Which is to say, my previous point was that you can't not have health care. So here's what that looks like: a debitor's strike. Everyone stops paying their bills as a collective action and your system crashes. Is that bad? Well it might create a crisis so big the entire industry would need to be nationalized. Or bailed out. End result? I suggest the goverment pays and institutes UHC.

In fact, your health care system is so bad a general strike might be in order.

Now, am I saying that this will ever happen? That the american public is capable of this level of coordinated rebellion? No, I have no such hopes. But it is about the level of response your "gently caress you, pay me whatever I want or you get sick and die" blackmail capitalism deserves.

Also, since you seem to need this spelled out: we're talking politics right now, de lege ferenda. This is not what legal advice looks like.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

sullat posted:

It's hard to see how things can change when you're right in the middle of it. Perhaps a change of perspective might help; go to Norway, see how they do it. Maybe go visit Nice Piece of Fish in his snow-haunted cabin in the woods. After than, I am sure that you'll never worry about American health care again.

I do love discussing anatomy.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god shut the gently caress up

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Make me, you snitch.

Also someone hosed with my avatar but they messed up, it's still pretty cool.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

blarzgh posted:

I thought you didn't give legal advice here?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
JOINDER

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

This hypothetical came up in a recent conversation at a virtual happy hour and no one was sure of the answer. If someone in a group chat was boasting about hiding or omitting information when receiving a security clearance, who would you actually report that to? Since this is purely hypothetical feel free to also assume for the sake of argument the fictitious individual is a MAGA and the desire to report is 100% spite based.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Your local FBI office.

That's a potential career-ender though, so be sure your spite is worth it if we're talking "failed to report pot use in college 20 years ago" though.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Once knew someone who was acing their CIA entrance exams until they failed the polygraph on ever having had sex with an animal

Whoops

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Are bees animals

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nonexistence posted:

Once knew someone who was acing their CIA entrance exams until they failed the polygraph on ever having had sex with an animal

Whoops

THE QUESTION MADE ME NERVOUS THATS ALL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nonexistence posted:

Whoops

Real Talk: would having a giggle fit at that question also cause one to fail the Test?