Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Elukka posted:

How do the alternate win conditions of some factions in the Vortex campaign work for AI factions? With the rituals we get a track of how far along everyone is and means to gently caress with them, but I have no idea what the hell Vampirates or Tomb Kings are up to regarding their victory conditions. Are they even active?

Pretty sure they're not active because they're on their own separate thing and it doesn't matter to anyone but them if they win or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Not gonna lie, as fun as this dlc is for thrott the lack of stormfiends is killing me. A big rear end ranged monster that dosn't fire like an artillery piece would be unique and interesting compared to a new brace of monsters one of which is literally a scaled up rat ogre with the same animations despite one arm not even working for it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Motherfucker posted:

Not gonna lie, as fun as this dlc is for thrott the lack of stormfiends is killing me. A big rear end ranged monster that dosn't fire like an artillery piece would be unique and interesting compared to a new brace of monsters one of which is literally a scaled up rat ogre with the same animations despite one arm not even working for it.

Yeah i love the idea of a warpfire thrower that can fire from melee and not get instaganked. the vulnerability to ranged would balance it nicely.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It's one of the few End Times things that are universally liked, they are adding Thanquol, he needs something, they are clearly coming with Thanquol. Even if yeah mutant rogres could've used some pizzaz. (Clearly should've done the Chimerat. :colbert:)

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Eimi posted:

It's one of the few End Times things that are universally liked, they are adding Thanquol, he needs something, they are clearly coming with Thanquol. Even if yeah mutant rogres could've used some pizzaz. (Clearly should've done the Chimerat. :colbert:)

Read that as Chime Rat and now I'm somewhat annoyed and sad that there's no weird rear end mutant rat bedecked in chimes that play "we're rats, we're rats, we're the rats" as it charges across the battlefield.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

The Chad Jihad posted:

Final battle of a sisters campaign was up at the rim of the world near absolutely nothing against a Throt with two Ghoritches

I'm up against the double Ghoritch in my campaign as well. :gonk: Wonder if this bug carries over to player's Moulder campaign.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

How's the Throt's campaign ending battle? What's the best army composition for it? can launch it now, but my army is less of a doomstack than usual, so I'll use next 40 turns strangling Elves and collecting the best sets of mutations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Rat Strats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfpdyi9VpCE

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hmmmm, I seem to have lost the battle to get the sisters' forest dragon. The quest popped but I can't find it now :shrug:

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I'm kind of bummed out after I watched a few guides on how to play certain factions. It seems that most of the "optimal" strategies involve sending a lord out in front of your army, then dancing back and forth so the enemy AI wastes all their ammo, before retreating and pushing forward normally. I don't really see the point of that, you might as well turn on loving god mode. Now I have to test my willpower playing while that possibility is in there.

Is there an AI mod or something that makes the AI not do this? How long has it been a thing without being patched?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Arsonide posted:

I'm kind of bummed out after I watched a few guides on how to play certain factions. It seems that most of the "optimal" strategies involve sending a lord out in front of your army, then dancing back and forth so the enemy AI wastes all their ammo, before retreating and pushing forward normally. I don't really see the point of that, you might as well turn on loving god mode. Now I have to test my willpower playing while that possibility is in there.

Is there an AI mod or something that makes the AI not do this? How long has it been a thing without being patched?

Take artillery and the AI won't fall for that trick most of the time. But TBH, it's kinda on you to not fall to the clutches of Optimal Gamer Brain

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arsonide posted:

I've never once done this nor felt the lack. Just don't do it? Also run themed armies (as much as possible). And, play on lower difficulties so you can have fun instead of doing poo poo like that. Way more fun to win with suboptimal army compositions that are fun and thematic than to just do the above.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Playing optimally is dumb, just fight glorious mass battles and enjoy life

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You watched a min maxers guide.

Don't do that.

Also, don't play on a difficulty where that is required.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I sometimes did that trick when faced against Elf army with shitton of Sisters of Averlorn, Empire rocket launchers or similar ranged BS. Won't work against guns and gun-like artillery though. As stated above it's less useful when you have artillery supremacy and enemy wants to rush you.

But I have a real problem with not min-maxing sieges. Way too easy to play on AI weaknesses, and too few other ways that don't end up in bloody grind.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Elukka posted:

How do the alternate win conditions of some factions in the Vortex campaign work for AI factions? With the rituals we get a track of how far along everyone is and means to gently caress with them, but I have no idea what the hell Vampirates or Tomb Kings are up to regarding their victory conditions. Are they even active?
The AI never actually "wins" in their version of the vortex too, it's just the player that can lose based on what the other 3 do. None of the non-vortex factions does anything plot related if you're not playing as them, otherwise you'd get some very degenerate gameplay where you'd need to rush the factions with a very short campaign to avoid a loss-by-someone-else-winning from those that can end their campaigns in under 50 turns(Snikch, Throt and Eltharion).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is there a non-bug reason why Ariel won't show up when you complete the first 'get forest health to 100' quest?

edit: The mission text says "at the start of your turn have 100..." but it completed mid-turn after resolving a forest encounter and no psycho butterfly.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 7, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I had the same thing happen. I'm gonna guess there are a few teething issues.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

You watched a min maxers guide.

Don't do that.

Also, don't play on a difficulty where that is required.

As someone who played the last 300 hours of TW:WH 2 on Very Hard Battle difficulty.

There is no difficulty where that is required.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If I autoresolve the forest battle it wipes out the enemy army and Ariel spawns. If I fight it properly there are survivors who retreat and Ariel doesn't spawn.

How long can I ignore forest encounters?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Arsonide posted:

If you outgun them, they advance on you.

Otherwise just send something you don't care about to absorb fire while you advance.

Zombies/slaverats/peasants/whatever your army gets thats there to die or tire the enemy.

Or build an entire army out of infiltrator units and laugh as you start right ontop of their ranged and just charge them down immediately.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Okay so i've been playing 100 turns of Volkmar, with my own Empire mod and wow.

The Order Tide seems to have finally been removed/balanced.

Tyrion did not go out and murder every elf, and Naggaroth is united, and they are invading the Donut as we speak.

The Dawi ARE winning the Badlands but it has taken them nearly 100 turns to do so, and it is not fully decided yet, Clan Mors has not joined in and they have 24+ settlements.

The Vampires split the Empire in half and i've been dealing with them for 50 or so turns.

Chaos showed up, and i have it on Legendary, naturally.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Theswarms posted:

If you outgun them, they advance on you.

Otherwise just send something you don't care about to absorb fire while you advance.

Zombies/slaverats/peasants/whatever your army gets thats there to die or tire the enemy.

Or build an entire army out of infiltrator units and laugh as you start right ontop of their ranged and just charge them down immediately.

This is what I have been doing, slaverats absorb fire while my mutated abominations swing around back.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It is bullshit how good the mutation lab is as a gameplay mechanic. It gets me very invested in these units despite the fact that I can recruit gold rank Rat Ogres in a single turn for stupidly cheap, just because I spent like 200 mutagen on them and managed to beat the RNG so that they're not too hosed. Every faction should get a per-unit upgrade system like this.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I figure they'll probably put in for TWH3 the thing from 3K where on battle difficulties above hard? The AI won't waste their ranged units on lords/heroes.

Anecdotally in the last 4-5 games I've played Grimgor has routinely taken over and become a huge monster. Ordertide has actually been pretty rare unless I get involved and beatdown either Greenskins or DE, although with the new chaos invasion Malekith pretty much explodes at some point.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah you basically can't bait the AI in 3K that way. Whether it's single characters or shielded units in anti-arrow formation, they'll call your bluff and hold fire until they get a juicier target.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Well you can, you just have to use 95% ranged block chance units rather than 100% block chance.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

JT Jag posted:

My Ikit Claw game is going great. Running a lord, 2 plague priests, 2 warlock engineers, a frontline of 4 Ratlings with a Warpstone Thrower in the middle, 4 Plague-Wind Mortars, 3 Jessails, 2 Catapults and one Cannon. The warlock engineers amp the weapon team firing speed to an insane level, every battle looks like the invasion of Normandy. I got the Priests kinda late so I haven't gotten them their cauldrons yet, which means they aren't as survivable as I'd prefer yet especially for the role of going ahead of the front line and tarpitting with their summons, but I can see their potential already.

Got two fully-geared up doomstacks to that spec and I can almost afford a third by turn ~80. I've completely infiltrated the entirety of the Wood Elf forest and a good chunk of the southern Empire with undercities. Haven't touched the Border Princes yet because I wanted to gently caress up members of the ordertide a bit first before I expanded, and food's getting to be a bit of a problem.

JT Jag posted:

POV: You Are Grimgor Ironhide, And You Have A Huge Rat Problem

"Close Victory"

Clan Skryre is fun as hell.
The campaign these two posts are referencing has gotten kinda wild. The Vampire Counts all got wiped out super early, like by turn ~30 and I presumed that'd be super bad news for me, but as it turned out the Dwarves and Empire both scrambled to claim their territory, giving Grimgor plenty of time to eat a ton of the Dwarven underbelly. But while Grimgor was doing *that*, Clan Eshin and Clan Mors were eating huge chunks of the Badlands. As I finally finished eating the Border Princes, Eshin/Mors confederated, which told me I needed to kick it into overdrive and eat as much of the Dwarves' and Orcs' territory before they could. Now I'm rank 4 and Mors is rank 1 and combined we own more or less the entire bottom right corner of the map, soon the dwarves and Orcs will both be dead and I'll be in position to shank the Empire (who is 90% infiltrated by my undercities at this point) and the elves.

Tragically, Eshin/Mors got to Karak Eight Peaks before I did. But I got the entirety of Silver Road and most of Black Crag. I imagine that's kinda gonna be the DMZ between us until I decide to make them submit to me as the endgame superboss.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 7, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How's the legendary chaos invasion working out for those playing long enough? does the empire and friends regularly keep them held off, do stacks of 12 show up on the south end of the map too? does Malekith ever survive being invaded?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

sassassin posted:

If I autoresolve the forest battle it wipes out the enemy army and Ariel spawns. If I fight it properly there are survivors who retreat and Ariel doesn't spawn.

How long can I ignore forest encounters?

Go kill the survivors. Ariel should spawn after that. I've cleared several forest encounters a turn or two after the battle by hunting down the survivors. Might work for Ariel too.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hmmmm, I seem to have lost the battle to get the sisters' forest dragon. The quest popped but I can't find it now :shrug:

The same thing happened to me in Mortal Empires.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

:eyepoop: anything with that reference gets a mandatory lmao from me

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Why does initiating a lightning strike on a lone army sometimes decrease autoresolve odds? It puts a penalty on the defending army.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Why does initiating a lightning strike on a lone army sometimes decrease autoresolve odds? It puts a penalty on the defending army.

Probably the same reason that when I build siege equipment with an army that's just hellpits and brood horrors it increases the auto resolve odds.

poo poo's hosed, yo.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Dr Christmas posted:

It disables your reinforcements as well, so if you've got 3 armies ganging up on them and lightning strike now you're only 1v1.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
How do you kill Malus Darkblade? I had a battle where I soundly defeated his army but just cannot kill him. I can throw spells at him, I can throw my highest tier units at him, but he barely takes any damage at all and once I've spent like ten minutes whittling him down he immediately heals to full again. Lost my entire army to this one dude.

e: I'm also a tad surprised to see this guy show up from the other side of the world and wreck Saphery. Kinda cool though.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 7, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

MORE DAKKA

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Elukka posted:

How do you kill Malus Darkblade? I had a battle where I soundly defeated his army but just cannot kill him. I can throw spells at him, I can throw my highest tier units at him, but he barely takes any damage at all and once I've spent like ten minutes whittling him down he immediately heals to full again. Lost my entire army to this one dude.

e: I'm also a tad surprised to see this guy show up from the other side of the world and wreck Saphery. Kinda cool though.

Either a ton of focus fire and a net or slow of some sort or you just rout the army and let him run.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Had a similar problem with Tyrion who had picked up the sword of Khaine. I had a Malus ritual beast army I sent to Ulthuan for a laugh, when I stumbled onto him. Routed his army and he just killed all my monsters solo until I retreated. The answer was a customised army designed to do as much damage considering his resistances. Malus was still about 20 turns away on his long pilgrimage from the SE of the map. So Lore of death if possible. AP ranged and anti large. Magic damage or physical damage depending on which resistance is lower. Cycle charging powerful creatures into him.

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Elukka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDD-iYkHBhc