Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Steakandchips posted:

After all that palaver, all the issue was that you were low on oil?

Huh? The palaver was that the bike hasn’t been started in nearly a year and I was worried about undue wear on the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

:thunk:

Fair enough.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
So funny story since we were just on carb talk.

My WR250F has been running weird lately and I've been trying to figure out what it was. It was running rich, fouling plugs. It started happening after it crapped out earlier this summer on trail and wouldn't start. I worried about valves, piston rings, clogged jets, etc

I've since replaced plugs and played with fuel screw settings to no avail. I checked and shimmed my valves to spec. It started right up after fresh plugs. Rode a bit after that and still got weird performance, lots of bogging, popping, etc. Still getting black smoke, black gassy spark plug. Never had great performance for very long.

So I decided to pull the carb. Ordered a rebuild kit which comes with stock jets since the previous owner claimed it has a jd jet kit. I clearly haven't had to touch the carb in the two years I've owned it until my current issues. It rode well prior to when the issues started.

The carb is a bitch to get out. Requires removing my exhaust, loosening the rear sub frame so that it can hang off the bike giving enough room to get the air box boot out of the way. Then you have to wrestle it out of the frame like a doctor delivering a baby.

Got it out, cleaned the exterior and started taking it apart. As I unscrewed the bottom bowl drain plug something fell out with it. My 170 main jet.

Son of a bitch.

I'm still going to clean the carb thoroughly since it's such a bitch to get out but it's weird that it came loose at some point and was just floating around in the bottom of my carb. I never heard a rattle or anything. What surpises me is how it was still able to run ... for a while at least. The rest of the carb looked pretty good, no flakes or gunk. New o rings and gaskets will probably be a good idea while it's out. I'll also do the O ring mod to the accelerator pump linkage for better throttle response.

My rebuild kit should be here in a day or two so I'll check back when I get it all put back together.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

the F stands for foul

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Top tip: if you never stop riding you never have to worry about the gas going bad :ssh:

If it's an official UK model then almost certainly yes. Bikes sold here tend to have a branch line off the radiator that runs along the carbs to keep them warm to stop icing from being an issue.

All your exposed (non-stainless) steel parts will get hosed up from road salt, but imo it's a reasonable trade-off for not having to think about draining the fuel or putting the battery on a tender or any of that stuff.

Just another plug for ACF-50. Works super well and you can just spray stuff down (NOT YOUR BRAKES).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:lol: PO's are wonderful people. The reason it still ran was because you just swapped the main jet, a hole, for no main jet, a much bigger hole. So you are basically just running an #infinity size main. It wouldn't have affected the bike very much down low, good demonstration of how carb behavior is dependant on throttle position, not rpm.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

PO's are a special breed and each project that goes by, I understand why people buy new dirt bikes. Motorcycles require a specific amount of maintenance and know how, dirt bikes doubly so due to their abuse which is why I don't trust POs since a lot of people see dirt bikes as toys vs actual vehicles. I don't mind wrenching because I enjoy fixing things and learning new skills but PO fuckery isn't always obvious and it can turn a standard fix into twice the work. The next owners of my 4runner or WR will be so lucky when I can show them a detailed spreadsheet of dated maintenance and repairs with miles/hours, parts etc, and all the fasteners and threads aren't stripped.

And thanks for doxing the fact that I only use a small portion of my throttle. Its true, and my WR may as well be a three speed because its about all I use on most rides.

Honestly though Slavvy, you're a huge resource in this forum and its always cool to see the wealth of information you share. I assume all moto mechanics hit a point where the years of huffing carb cleaner fumes eventually take its toll on your brain cells, thankfully we're not there yet.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

My 83 Magna V45 was down for a couple of weeks due to a fouling issue. Plugs on one side were Champions, plugs on the other were NGKs. Went through the fuel system, filter was clear, and after letting the cylinders dry, cleaning and gapping the plugs, it fired up.

I've noticed that there is an awful lot of fuel line, the stock stuff is covered with a red braided material, the other is just parts store rubber. I've wondered though, if having so much hose is detrimental to performance, as it has several turns in it to make it fit where it should. No major bends, but still, a bit more hose than I would think is needed. Any reason not to trim some excess?

Also wired in a new flasher unit, since I blew the fuse and the old unit smelled like the magic smoke had escaped when I opened it. Works a charm now.

Anyway, PO wiring and other bullshit aside, I'm REALLY torn on a few cosmetic things. The rear fender WAS chrome, but was repainted black. The remaining chrome is in pitted to okayish shape, and after polishing, is still a bit turd looking. Would it be completely trashy to hit the bars, front fender and side markers with a flat black to match? Or would it look too tryhard?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How much is too much? Without a picture :iiam:

How trashy is too trashy? Without being inside your brain :iiam:

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I was thinking of painting the front fender, the bars and maybe the side reflectors.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Reflectors are for removing not painting. If it looks worse without them, wrap them in vinyl so they don't look like utter arse.

Painting bars never, ever works, it will always look like absolute garbage within a matter of weeks. It is possible to get black bars.

The rest is entirely down to taste and therefore :iiam:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
drag bars

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Ok, thanks. Maybe I'll just remove the controls and polish polish polish to try and get the small pits and lingering rusts out. May also remove some fasteners that are a bit rusty and give them a bath in PBlaster and scuff em up a bit to remove some of the rust and stuff.

I've already considered getting some different bars, but I don't want to deal with new hoses and cables. I'd like some standard off road type bars, but I'm afraid it would put more weight on my wrists, which my current bars don't.

That's a screengrab from a youtube vid of a Magna with a set of bars.

gileadexile fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 3, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There are more different kinds of bar than just pullbacks and dirt bike bars, they come in a huge variety of shapes and lengths. The one advantage to having a hideous 'custom' variant like yours is they have very long hoses and cables so you shouldn't need to modify anything.

No bar will ever put weight on your wrists on that bike because the seat is miles lower than the triple clamp, you are always going to be sitting in a bucket reaching forwards.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

gileadexile posted:

I was thinking of painting the front fender, the bars and maybe the side reflectors.

The problem is you're focused on here

When you should be looking at here

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

The problem is you're focused on here

When you should be looking at here

?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

To use medical terminology, you have a lumpy rear end

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gileadexile posted:

I'm looking at this pic again and the bike looks quite high specced, are the reservoir shocks factory? Does it have the anti dive fork system on the left? Very typical 80's Japanese combo of potent bike + half baked easy rider stuff.

I suspect it would make an for excellent proto-muscle bike if you put on a relatively wide, relatively swept but low bar. The pegs look quite mid mounted and the seat isn't that low in relation to them, if you can get the bars so your forearms are horizontal at a decent height you're in business; the pullbacks are costing you massively in terms of handling. You'd be surprised how well that bike will corner if you have the right kind of leverage.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

The seat was crammed with a bit of extra stuffing from an old couch cushion, I took it back out and there's basically nothing back there now.

And yeah, as far as I can tell, the suspension is all stock, not sure of what sort of shape it's in, it's cranked as tight as it goes and the PO was well north of 400lbs, but still feels very soft and bottoms out if I'm not careful. I have a bit of leakage on the front forks as well, just leaving residue on the shafts at the moment though.

I assume the TRAC anti dive is still active on the front, may put a few pounds of air in them and see if they stiffen up any.

Aside from a few quibbly bits, I'm very satisfied with it, fun as can be, makes great noises and the new beaded seat cover helped quite a bit, able to ride about an hour and a half now without butt burn.

Had a great time tearing up a mountain road a few days ago, at a faster tick than usual when I ride with my dad, since he's on a Rebel 300, and it doesn't really get out of it's own way up that road.

I don't want to be snobby, but we have some pretty great curvy back roads, I can't imagine what it's like to ride without em.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Anyone know of a good source for aftermarket switches? I just want a few buttons to control aux lights and maybe someday an ABS bypass switch.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Anyone know of a good source for aftermarket switches? I just want a few buttons to control aux lights and maybe someday an ABS bypass switch.

Digikey.com

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Look here for some excellent switches:

https://shop.revivalcycles.com/motorcycle-parts/electrical/switches-buttons/

I really like these ones:

https://shop.revivalcycles.com/type-1-push-button-switch-housing/

Stupidly expensive, mind.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20201204114930&SearchText=motorcycle+handlebar+switch

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sorry, I should have specified that I want to mount them to my handlebar.

Something like this is what I'm looking for, but at that pricepoint I could probably buy another product and just steal the switchcomponent out of it.

I looked there, but those are all terrible quality that I wouldn't be comfortable installing on my motorcycle.

Some middle ground would be nice, but maybe I'll just 3D print something and figure out a way to waterproof some normal swotches.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Sorry, I should have specified that I want to mount them to my handlebar.

Something like this is what I'm looking for, but at that pricepoint I could probably buy another product and just steal the switchcomponent out of it.

I looked there, but those are all terrible quality that I wouldn't be comfortable installing on my motorcycle.

Some middle ground would be nice, but maybe I'll just 3D print something and figure out a way to waterproof some normal swotches.

Sounds like the middle ground is 3d print your own housing and mount some weatherproof switches from digikey in it!

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
powdercoat the bars and fender if you want them to look good (probably tape the part you'll have to slide the throttle over? idk. a powdercoater who does motorcycles regularly will know.)

powdercoat everything that is to be a flat color, gently caress it. the only liquid paint should be airbrushed pagan goddesses

rattlecan it all black you're the true dirtbag that bike wants to be ridden by

mewse
May 2, 2006

I think some goon on here figured out where to buy the motogadget switches on aliexpress for a fraction of the price, I just wish I remember who it was or where the post was

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm an idiot and thought I had purchased new tires this summer when it was actually last summer. I need 50% tread life for a track day, and I don't think these are there anymore (especially not the rear, maybe the front is ok). The rear is also a little squared off a bit from commuting. Replace before the track day? At least I thought of this while I still have 7 days to get it fixed.

Rear:

Front:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That front is finished, you can see the cracking inside the tread and it's level with the wear bars. The rear is probably ok. Also lean your bike more jfc what's the point of a sport bike if you just ride around in straight lines.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It gets to me the office faster?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You may get dqed based on how square they are.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I thought this was a chicken strips safe space.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It is, but some race tracks arent. I watched a friend fail tech at Road America on the supermoto course for square tires and I will never forget that shameful moment

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This pair was purchased for a track day then work got busy and I did thousands of miles of freeway on them, and then I missed months of canyon rides this year from having a baby. My local shop theoretically should be able to order new ones tomorrow and have them arrive before the end of the week, hopefully xmas and covid may cause problems.

UPS is having serious issues getting my Newegg order to me, but I think they're in some sort of contract dispute right now

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Seen some carbs listed as "Keihin FCR 39 MX" come up on ebay today for 150 quid. They're from a 2007 SXF 250. (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124478236488?ul_noapp=true)

Any tips on checking they'd fit a DRZ?

I've googled for SXF250/DRZ400 swaps, but can't find anything.

[e] offered less for it and seller agreed.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 9, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If it has the removable intake bell, in general you can buy the DRZ-sized intake bell for cheap and make it work.

Apparently you can even get adapters for the ones without removable bells

https://www.frankmxparts.com/epages/62910900.mobile/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62910900/Products/2096&Locale=en_US

E: found an even better site with even more options https://www.allgeyerperformance.com/shop

I did this with my first DRZ and adapter a wr450 FCR mx to it with the proper bell.

You’ll also need to check that the airbox boot fits over it but if I recall this is less of an issue in general?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 9, 2020

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Sudco is where I went for mine.

3d print the adapter parts in TPU.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Horse Clocks posted:

Seen some carbs listed as "Keihin FCR 39 MX" come up on ebay today for 150 quid. They're from a 2007 SXF 250. (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124478236488?ul_noapp=true)

Any tips on checking they'd fit a DRZ?

I've googled for SXF250/DRZ400 swaps, but can't find anything.

[e] offered less for it and seller agreed.

You should change your search term to the carb model and the bike you want it to go into, "drz400 keihin fcr"

The fcr is a large carb but it looks like people do it.
https://youtu.be/wbDv0Tn-x1k

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Can someone please tell me what to use to glue my Oxford heated grips on?

I've seen lots of advice online about what not to use and now I'm afraid of everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The glue it comes with.