Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Huh, did not see that one coming.

Bumps one name off the Harris replacement shortlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Final Fantasy Football
Oct 3, 2006

So that means potentially Newsom gets three appointments (assuming he appoints Padilla) - a senator, State AG, and Sec of State.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Final Fantasy Football posted:

So that means potentially Newsom gets three appointments (assuming he appoints Padilla) - a senator, State AG, and Sec of State.

"I am California." - Newsom in like 3 months or so

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Take California

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

have you ever noticed that gavin newsom has similar appearance and mannerisms to the character patrick bateman in the film american psycho

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Bizarro Watt posted:

Newsom needs to run for president so he can secure access to nuclear fusion and power his mechsuit

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bizarro Watt posted:

You mean 8 months ago when he was talking about The Western States Compact and CA as the Nation-State?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So wait, do these new orders affect my indoor soccer matches on Wednesdays?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

No. The orders don't effect anything, it's your right to play indoor soccer.

Placer County officals are trying to use CAREs act funding to pay state fines for businesses that stay open.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Justice groups in LA have been protesting outside Mayor Garcetti's house to try and prevent him from getting selected for anything in Biden's cabinet, due to his many awful qualities.

This is what happened to them on Sunday:

https://twitter.com/justrinidad/status/1335660826363977728

Fascinatingly, some maskless protesters of the Stay At Home order showed up a mere 8 hours later, and didn't get beat.

https://twitter.com/justrinidad/status/1335813904363003904

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I think he means melanin not melatonin lol

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CA Notify is being released on Thursday. Everyone please use this on your phones. It does not collect any personal or location data.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/new-regional-stay-at-home-order/509-5fd93ee3-50a2-480b-8697-6b35f0e7ed2a

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

eSporks posted:

No. The orders don't effect anything, it's your right to play indoor soccer.

Placer County officals are trying to use CAREs act funding to pay state fines for businesses that stay open.

What?!

No. Do not go play soccer indoors right now unless you are incredibly stupid and have zero care for people in your community.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What?!

No. Do not go play soccer indoors right now unless you are incredibly stupid and have zero care for people in your community.

... dude

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What?!

Obvious sarcasm, but also the brutal reality.

I do not condone defying state guidelines.
I do not condone reappropriating funds meant for public safety funds to defy state guidelines.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 7, 2020

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
gently caress dude, I’m sorry, I’ve been on twitter this weekend and SF is about to go into lockdown again so everyone went out for a last hurrah packing the bars last night so nothing surprises me anymore.

Whoopsie!

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I was walking home last night after getting groceries before curfew. Saw a guy sitting outdoors at a restaurant let loose the nastiest cough in to the sidewalk right when two woman without masks walked by. They said something about COVID and he started yelling at them about wearing masks, to which they responded "We don't like wearing masks! :)" and flipping him off. He started screaming "COVID BITCH!!" over and over as they walked away. I loving hate Pasadena and everyone during this god drat pandemic!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

CA Notify is being released on Thursday. Everyone please use this on your phones. It does not collect any personal or location data.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/new-regional-stay-at-home-order/509-5fd93ee3-50a2-480b-8697-6b35f0e7ed2a

I only have a flip-phone, but I might see if I can install this on my SO's old Android phone and carry it in my pocket when we're buying groceries. (It's either that or an 8" tablet! Or I guess my SO's current phone.)

radicaldreamer
May 14, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

At the current rate of infection, is contract tracing possible or useful other than causing FUD amongst people who are going to get these notifications? Like everything in this state, this seems more like ticking the box rather than thinking through the problem..

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Greg12 posted:

love to keep a PO Box in Reno for convenience in titling and registering my ozone (and ROG, and CO, and NOx) generator

I have to have car parts sent to a friend out of state now, its pretty neat.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
https://twitter.com/Rosemvmt/status/1336094416700784641

Also the shoutouts to groups below this post is a good list if you're a leftist in los angeles.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

https://twitter.com/Rosemvmt/status/1336094416700784641

Also the shoutouts to groups below this post is a good list if you're a leftist in los angeles.

Owns

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

And if he can do this purely from the DA office it makes it clear that other DA's can too.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
It's super weird that Gascon never pushed through any of these reforms when he was DA of SF, but I guess the BLM movement this year has totally changed the political climate so he did something he always could have done as DA in SF but I guess thought there would be too much backlash against. Owns though.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Nah. The machine has been working to get him to LA for a few years, this has been planned. Dunno why he didn’t do any of it while here, but at least we have Chesa. The two of them pushing progressive policies in the two major metro areas of CA is gonna be AWESOME

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

fermun posted:

It's super weird that Gascon never pushed through any of these reforms when he was DA of SF, but I guess the BLM movement this year has totally changed the political climate so he did something he always could have done as DA in SF but I guess thought there would be too much backlash against. Owns though.

lol Chesa Boudin ended cash bail in SF right after he replaced Gascon as DA

Gascon could have done it along with all that other good stuff...so why didn't he?

at least hes doing that good stuff now in LA, but neglecting to do it in SF and then immediately doing it in LA makes me think hes worried more about advancing his career than doing the right thing

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rah! posted:

lol Chesa Boudin ended cash bail in SF right after he replaced Gascon as DA

Gascon could have done it along with all that other good stuff...so why didn't he?

at least hes doing that good stuff now in LA, but neglecting to do it in SF and then immediately doing it in LA makes me think hes worried more about advancing his career than doing the right thing
This is a good sign for the strength of the movements in LA. If careerists feel that they need to do things like end cash bail to advance themselves, that means the left is winning on this front. Perhaps losing to Chesa convinced Gascon he needed to get on board. Ultimately his motivations matter far less than his actions.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 8, 2020

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

bawfuls posted:

This is a good sign for the strength of the movements in LA. If careerists feel that they need to do things like end cash bail to advance themselves, that means the left is winning on this front. Perhaps losing to Chesa convinced Gascon he needed to get on board. Ultimately his motivations matter far less than his actions.

Yeah it should be stated that LA is not at all a super "left" government. It's a lot of career politicians who are mostly centrist.

The justice activists in LA have put a ton of effort and hopefully it won't be betrayed.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Perhaps losing to Chesa convinced Gascon he needed to get on board.

Gascon never ran against Chesa. He resigned early to run in LA, the DA election that Chesa won was an open contest

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Yeah, he’s a careerist and had been planning the move to LA, stepped down in SF and Chesa won in the open election

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

acksplode posted:

Gascon never ran against Chesa. He resigned early to run in LA, the DA election that Chesa won was an open contest
My mistake. Whatever the reasons, it is the outcome which is important. If careerist DA's now feel they have to end cash bail and capital punishment to advance, that means activism is working as intended.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

fermun posted:

That's the feeling that I get. If his actual platform included radical change, and he gets elected, he has the mandate to do the right thing since it's clearly the will of the people. (if the incumbent was elected then reforms are just :shrug:)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

starbucks hermit posted:

That's the feeling that I get. If his actual platform included radical change, and he gets elected, he has the mandate to do the right thing since it's clearly the will of the people. (if the incumbent was elected then reforms are just :shrug:)

The lady he replaced pissed people off so much there was an organized weekly protest directly outside her office.

Every. Single. Week.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Apparently the SF apartment smoking ban saga is not over quite yet.

https://twitter.com/DeanPreston/status/1336451597421826048

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
DEAN PRESTON FOR MAYOR! LONDON BREED FOR PRISON!

(not really, I'm an abolitionist)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

London Breed for public-facing service worker but she still gets a decent paycheck and benefits because we're not a society of monsters.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

you, an idiot: serious organzing is more than just electioneering, we need to build real structures to help our communities survive the multiple crises that...

me, calm and wise: DEEEEEAN!!!!!! :w00t:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
But what about the perfectly intersectional aggrieved parties for whom this legislation would have addressed their number one quality of life complaint and given me something to talk about at brunch as my friends and I slowly black out over mimosas and heated debate over how well the system works?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

you, an idiot: serious organzing is more than just electioneering, we need to build real structures to help our communities survive the multiple crises that...

me, calm and wise: DEEEEEAN!!!!!! :w00t:

tbh, Deans steady, consistent praxis is keeping me sane these days. It’s cool to be able to trust A politician!