Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

McCracAttack posted:

Stores in the US do that too.

Also worth noting: that’s in front of a liquor store.

The gas station I frequent doesn’t have bollards in front of the propane tank cages. Someone even crunched one a while back... cage got replaced, no bollards. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

That's true if you have the presence of mind to slam the brakes on fully. It's not true if you apply partial braking and let your pads overheat and your brake fluid (which you probably haven't changed according to the maintenance interval and which probably has a lot of water in it) start boiling.
We had the cruise control cable get stuck open on an old car on the highway. Dad was driving and it took us a while to realize what was happening, so the brakes were pretty much toast by the time we slowed down enough and pulled over to the shoulder. From the dead stop though it shouldn't be a problem.

Good job the poor bastard will now have to sweep that first part again

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/kcOaYFd.mp4

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

`Nemesis posted:

Also worth noting: that’s in front of a liquor store.

The gas station I frequent doesn’t have bollards in front of the propane tank cages. Someone even crunched one a while back... cage got replaced, no bollards. Ah well.

Bollards are expensive. Crushed propane cages are the propane company's problem.

And certainly nothing worse will ever happen at my store says the owner trying to save a buck.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Hydroplaning? Black ice? Road misgraded? People driving at unsafe does for the conditions? Could be anything!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Looks sped up a bit too.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Hydroplaning? Black ice? Road misgraded? People driving at unsafe does for the conditions? Could be anything!

imo it looks like a diesel spill.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

kw0134 posted:

On older vehicles you can still turn off the motor while retaining electrical by turning the key one step back*, but with newer cars that have push-to-start ignitions I don't think that's really possible? Now this question is going to bother me all day.

*a fact taught by the defensive driver teacher in the course required to get my license many years ago.

I know from a powered off stop if you press the button without your foot on on the brake it goes into electrical “accessory mode.” I think it’ll do the same when driving...

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

kw0134 posted:

On older vehicles you can still turn off the motor while retaining electrical by turning the key one step back*, but with newer cars that have push-to-start ignitions I don't think that's really possible? Now this question is going to bother me all day.

*a fact taught by the defensive driver teacher in the course required to get my license many years ago.

I think if you hold the button down it'll kick the engine off in the same way. I looked it up specifically when Prisuses were having the "stuck throttle" issue some years back, but a quick google suggests its standard across the industry.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Boxman posted:

I think if you hold the button down it'll kick the engine off in the same way. I looked it up specifically when Prisuses were having the "stuck throttle" issue some years back, but a quick google suggests its standard across the industry.

I would simply turn off the valve for the kerosene superheater, instruct my stoker to cease loading coke into the firebox, and drop the anchor when steam pressure has reduced. :smuggo:

emf
Aug 1, 2002

My parents recently moved and in the inspection found one of these connecting a circuit powering the outlets behind a built-in basement bar which was wired to a breaker and a PAIR or GFIs (one outside the sharing wall, and one in a adjoining bathroom). Whenever the breaker was energized (with the death-cable detached) one of the GFI's would trip, but would "function" "normally" with the death-cable (and breaker off). I fixed that poo poo right away: turns out the circuit swapped live for return twice on the way from the breaker to the last GFI. There were also general fuckary with the wire gauge changing in stupid ways and branches running back and forth (almost as if they were going to loop back, but not quite connect) rather than terminate at the farthest outlet.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

The thing about the “I pressed the brakes and I kept going” is that any car with functional brakes is going to be able to easily put out more braking force than the engine can deal with - especially when it’s always some generic 150hp sedan.

In my case it was an old beater '95 Volvo who's brakes were barely there in the best of circumstances. When I finally bought a not piece of poo poo car it took me like a week or two to get used to brakes I didn't have to start pressing at almost full force 3-5 seconds before I actually needed to come to a stop.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Leon Sumbitches posted:

So, assuming the gas does get stuck and the brake is non responsive, is the correct move to slam the car into neutral and activate the e-brake?

Yes and on automatics it usually doesn't lock out D<>N, meaning you can slap the drive select in and out of neutral at all times without touching the button or over shooting it.

This is a "prank" my former friend tried to pull at a light. He hosed up and put my car in reverse without me noticing.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Zero One posted:

Bollards are expensive. Crushed propane cages are the propane company's problem.

And certainly nothing worse will ever happen at my store says the owner trying to save a buck.

If you watch the old The Stand TV movie you may notice that the guy dying of the virus with his dead family in a car (Chevy Citation or Pontiac Phoenix either way, lol) would have incinerated himself if some nice old Texan boy hadn't hit the cut-off switch on the gas pump he just crashed in to.

Basically what I'm saying is car fuel can melt the hong kong fluie. Or the one out of Ed Harris' secret US military bioweapons facility.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

No one responded to this, but what the gently caress?! :staredog:

Why are a bunch of random assholes apparently jacking up a building with hand-jacks?
Hopefully that's not actually what's happening because holy poo poo that's sketchy if so...

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Banana peel.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

aas Bandit posted:

Why are a bunch of random assholes apparently jacking up a building with hand-jacks?
Hopefully that's not actually what's happening because holy poo poo that's sketchy if so...

It's not terribly uncommon to jack up parts of a house (e.g. to fix the foundation) or to move it, but, you don't usually do it from inside the building.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I love work-to-rule strikes. They can be hilarious, and should the employer take punitive action they'll get sued.

I worked in a company that had one union rep who was on his own personal work-to-rule strike. The supervisors hated his guts and knew there was nothing they could do. He was just following policy after all. One day I responded to a maintenance call from a supervisor. A pressure coupling quick-release was damaged such that you had to hold the air line down or it would pop off. The air pressure was needed to mechanically open a secondary valve beneath the standard poppet. All the operator had to do was hold the fitting down for a few minutes to finish fueling the plane, but company policy said he must monitor the pressure gauges while fueling. He couldn't see the gauges while holding the air line, so he couldn't fuel according to company policy. He called his supervisor and sat there waiting as passengers boarded.

The scene when I pulled up was a very pissed off supervisor holding the air line down for him while the work-to-rule guy is nonchalantly watching his gauges with a smug grin. The supervisor was begging me to fix the coupling but I told him I can't until he disconnects because I don't want to drop my tools down a pit. So we both stood there and watched the very angry supervisor hold the fitting in place. Something either of us could have done but hey... Not our job, not our problem. :hfive:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

aas Bandit posted:

that's exactly what's happening, yes

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Uh is that load-bearing scaffolding?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Uh is that load-bearing scaffolding?

Looks like the crush hazard that may occur if you touch it is the entire roof falling on top of you, yes

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

How to tell a story in three images, or "the sign is literally true, more than you can possibly know"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
it's insane, like why would you build the roof or bridge or whatever before you even had supports? I need to know more.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I saw the opposite of this at work. I work next to a giant factory. I was touring it with one of the technical people, and noticed a giant, steel girdered overhead pipe raceway outside that looked as built as a railroad trestle. It looked silly, like it was enormously overbuilt for a skinny little pipe. I asked about it, and the guy told me that it was intended to withstand a truck crashing into it without deforming, because the pipe contained some pyrophoric gas :eyepop:

A vehicle tapping that scaffolding in the photo with a bumper could pull down the whole roof

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
It's right over the busy service tunnel that goes under and across the airport.

Just temporary scaffolding, it was only left like that for about 3 years.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sanctum posted:

I love work-to-rule strikes. They can be hilarious, and should the employer take punitive action they'll get sued.

I worked in a company that had one union rep who was on his own personal work-to-rule strike. The supervisors hated his guts and knew there was nothing they could do. He was just following policy after all. One day I responded to a maintenance call from a supervisor. A pressure coupling quick-release was damaged such that you had to hold the air line down or it would pop off. The air pressure was needed to mechanically open a secondary valve beneath the standard poppet. All the operator had to do was hold the fitting down for a few minutes to finish fueling the plane, but company policy said he must monitor the pressure gauges while fueling. He couldn't see the gauges while holding the air line, so he couldn't fuel according to company policy. He called his supervisor and sat there waiting as passengers boarded.

The scene when I pulled up was a very pissed off supervisor holding the air line down for him while the work-to-rule guy is nonchalantly watching his gauges with a smug grin. The supervisor was begging me to fix the coupling but I told him I can't until he disconnects because I don't want to drop my tools down a pit. So we both stood there and watched the very angry supervisor hold the fitting in place. Something either of us could have done but hey... Not our job, not our problem. :hfive:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/5d5YAmo.mp4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

That went from :kimchi: to :magical: for a minute there.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Aside from the peak wine aunt energy, what am I seeing here?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

WarpedNaba posted:

I think it's that all her cat coworkers' combined weight caused her to lose feeling in her legs, hence the sudden need to remove them and focus on her being moving her foot at the end.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Demonstrating the complexity and attention costs of manually managing an active climate control system

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's insane, like why would you build the roof or bridge or whatever before you even had supports? I need to know more.

It allows you to build the supports in the shade.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

WarpedNaba posted:

a late-20s/early-30s millennial in her final form

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

No ring.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

7/10 No ri-

:argh::argh::argh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

LifeSunDeath posted:

The power of top down thinking.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://giant.gfycat.com/IncomparableGroundedInsect.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

this, unironically