Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nothus posted:

Virgil eating during the interview to show his distain is a power move he's repeated several times.

It's a good power move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Its a godo bit on balling out super when they make fun of alex ptak for having balls that retract inside his body when he cums

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

coathat posted:

There was a British one but it got pulled after one episode because a contestant had nazi face tattoos

The contestant at the time tried to claim that his nazi tat was actually about his dad's death in 1988, despite said dad featuring predominantly in one of the eps and dad explicitly calling him out on it. That's when it got pulled out.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

AShamefulDisplay posted:

If you enjoy Matt banging his head against a brick wall and Virgil clearly eating while taking the interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsRlqBywKeQ

It's oly like half an hour. I enjoyed it.

I adore how the interviewer is just gradually forced to admit he invited them on the show to try and own his nephew for liking them

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

Its a godo bit on balling out super when they make fun of alex ptak for having balls that retract inside his body when he cums

alex comparing Jeremy's premie baby in the NICU to magneto in xmen 2 is maybe the funniest bit they've ever done

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

I adore how the interviewer is just gradually forced to admit he invited them on the show to try and own his nephew for liking them

i also found it interesting how they kept insinuating that they only believed certain things because of bernie, which is in a similar vein to how matt has discussed ad nasuem that some liberals tend to see politicians as extensions of themselves and they clearly thought this was a huge part of the chapo phenomenon

a good interview but not necessarily for the reasons the skullduggery people thought though!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

AShamefulDisplay posted:

If you enjoy Matt banging his head against a brick wall and Virgil clearly eating while taking the interview.

this was absolutely beautiful

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/BronzeHammer/status/1335958613240803329?s=19

A good joke that talks to me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the banana power move

the forbidden ninjutsu

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lmao all DC people are deranged.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

The Muppets On PCP posted:

ramsay's mentor marco pierre white is way more unhinged and terrifying. he made gordon ramsay cry on camera

and now he does ads for prepackaged seasonings and stock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNJ5gnFXmhs

brutal

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Muppets On PCP posted:

ramsay's mentor marco pierre white is way more unhinged and terrifying. he made gordon ramsay cry on camera

and now he does ads for prepackaged seasonings and stock

Oh my God his knorr stock pot recipes are great. Fuckin love the gently caress it attitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Ut1H659lU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
those concentrated stocks are really good if you don't have plenty of time to cook or space in your fridge

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i went through a phase where i'd buy broth and lol quarantine shifted me back to bullion cubes and maggi pretty quickly

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

AShamefulDisplay posted:

why does this guy speak like that

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Some people aren't given any supervision whatsoever when they get into radio in college. So no one teaches them the very basic principle that if you emphasize every single syllable in every word, nothing is actually emphasized and you just sound like you're talking with a TENS unit up your rear end.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

Oh my God his knorr stock pot recipes are great. Fuckin love the gently caress it attitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Ut1H659lU

would have been a lot better if you could see the end result

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

paul_soccer12 posted:

why does this guy speak like that

his mouth is full of food I think

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
On breadtube news

https://twitter.com/RationalDis/status/1336128951740223490?s=19

Big yikes
Going to bat for a guy who ranted that protestors be mowed down

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Tfw you dont know or care about whoever that is ☺️

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Algund Eenboom posted:

Tfw you dont know or care about whoever that is ☺️

They run a podcast reexamining the Animal Crossing series in a leftist light with loads of guest appearances including most of the Chapo guys, Brace Belden, and Ghostpin in the latest patreon episode. It's pretty good, even if the racial slurs do come pretty hot and heavy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

T-man posted:

They run a podcast reexamining the Animal Crossing series in a leftist light with loads of guest appearances including most of the Chapo guys, Brace Belden, and Ghostpin in the latest patreon episode. It's pretty good, even if the racial slurs do come pretty hot and heavy.

What

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

try their series on the marxist interpretation of bell trees

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Dont worry gradenko, tman was just trying to make a joke. It shall pass, like all things, into dust and nothingness

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Algund Eenboom posted:

Dont worry gradenko, tman was just trying to make a joke. It shall pass, like all things, into dust and nothingness

we're the biggest jokes of all

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jonathan Frakes voice:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/WASBAPPIN/status/1336112525566304259?s=19

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Algund Eenboom posted:

how dare you, i would never joke in the podcast thread

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

i can't pay no doctor bill
with assadists on the moon

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AKxsljxKhc

Halloween Jack has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Dec 8, 2020

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

this is what newt would be soundin like if he'd been born in the 1910's

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

the moon is a psyop

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wasn't orbital bombardment Brianna Wu's campaign platform

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

The moon is tape

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've been meaning to check out Pynchon for years. Which one would be a good start?

V. (1963) is an interesting first novel that meanders a lot but does some neat stylistic and structural tricks that will feature more prominently in his later books.

Crying of Lot 49 (1966) is a pot boiler he wrote for some quick drug money, but it's a fun paranoid romp.

Gravity's Rainbow (1973) is his magnum opus, and he threw every crazy idea he had into it. It makes a lot more sense the 2nd time through, but I'm not going to seriously recommend anyone actually do that. If you like crazy WWII stuff, you'll enjoy it.

Slow Learner (1984) is mostly interesting for the introduction, wherein he tells you that basically all the stories (the early ones he published before V.) in the book suck real bad, and he wishes he could have written them better, points out all the plot holes, errors, and stupid bits, but then says basically since people were clamoring for easy access to them, so here you go, enjoy the trash feast.

Vineland (1990) is Crying of Lot 49 through the lens of the 80s looking back at 60s nostalgia, and is just as cynical and paranoid as that should be. It wasn't the next Gravity's Rainbow, which is why reviewers were pretty disappointed after waiting 17 years for his next novel to come out (he was also writing Mason & Dixon and possibly Against the Day during this period), but I liked it.

Mason & Dixon (1997) is an interesting take on the historical novel and, unlike most of his other books, not so much a paranoid romp as it is (literally) a story being told to some kids (and the assorted adults who enter and leave the room, with the story changing depending on the narrator's audience). Some very nice bits about male friendship and some nasty bits about the nature of empires, in the same dosage.

Against the Day (2006) is, in my opinion, his most accessible long novel. It's a great story about why the modern world is as terrible as it is, and how good people have fought tooth and nail against it for very justified and persuasive reasons, coupled with his typical silliness and love of adventure stories.

Inherent Vice (2009) is like a redux of Crying of Lot 49. If you enjoyed Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, or Tom O'Neill's Chaos, you'll probably enjoy this one. Probably the best Pynchon to start with. Very good movie adaptation, as well.

Bleeding Edge (2013) is Pynchon's take on 9/11, and it's very odd seeing his kaleidoscopic approach applied to the modern day. A very C-Spam meets YOSPOS novel.

Farm Frenzy posted:

he said theres no documented proof of the pop cultural depiction of trafficking where its children being snatched off the street and stuffed into shipping containers

People thinking of trafficking tend to assume it's like this godawful thriller from 2008, where the evil bus driver has a complicated scheme to kidnap women from airports, murder a couple guys in the process, and then ship the one healthy woman to east asia on a container ship.

See also films like the pretty entertaining Lian Neeson thriller Taken, where basically everything the protagonist wants to happen happens so he can tell his daughter I told you so for disobeying him, or the disappointing torture horror Hostel series.

The reality is somehow even more depressing and disgusting.

You can just go to a poor rural neighborhood most places worldwide and find someone who'll sell you their daughter or sister for not that much money, or find a girl willing to accompany you for the same relativly small amount of money. No need for elaborate kidnapping schemes when you can just pay a couple thousand dollars to the right people, toss a college sweatshirt on the girl so she "looks 18", and take her with you on the airplane. At worst (again, relative use of "worst" here), you get lonely and vulnerable girls who get catfished by a guy to come "live with the guy who loves them" a couple states over or to eastern europe or whatever, sort of "trafficking themselves", and for the cost of a plane ticket it's the pattern of abusive relationship where she needs to prostitute herself "just one time" because "they need the money" and "she owes him" and poo poo spirals down from there.

gently caress. I'm depressed and angry just writing that.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
don't forget the rampant abuses within the j-1 guest worker program

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Mason & Dixon (1997) is an interesting take on the historical novel and, unlike most of his other books, not so much a paranoid romp as it is (literally) a story being told to some kids (and the assorted adults who enter and leave the room, with the story changing depending on the narrator's audience). Some very nice bits about male friendship and some nasty bits about the nature of empires, in the same dosage.

I'd say start here, since it's basically a carnival of a book and is one of the most inviting stories I've read to date. It's a tome for sure, but the whole thing is one big party from front to finish

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

latest chapo episode about avatar is surprisingly excellent

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I dismissed it as a big budget remake of ferngully and never saw it but I may check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

V. Illych L. posted:

latest chapo episode about avatar is surprisingly excellent

to their credit, it all makes sense isnt some smg horseshit. unfortunately, the movie itself is poo poo so