Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are there any Oseram who aren't real chill?

dervahl was pretty unchill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are there any Oseram who aren't real chill?

Dervahl.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Okay, but apart from the one genocidal revenge-driven maniac, the Oseram are pretty chill.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Okay, but apart from the one genocidal revenge-driven maniac, the Oseram are pretty chill.

Also the guy in the bandit camp in the Cut.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just finished up the Grave-Hoard area, how close am I to the end? I don't know if I give enough of a poo poo to finish this if there's a lot more.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

sigher posted:

I just finished up the Grave-Hoard area, how close am I to the end? I don't know if I give enough of a poo poo to finish this if there's a lot more.

You're roughly 2/3 of the way through the main story.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

For as good as this game is, it has a lot of weaknesses that most modern open world games share, like a bunch of useless poo poo cluttering up the map to overwhelm players who feel compelled to complete things.

Most of the non-DLC side content unrelated to Aloy's exploration of the old world facilities is pretty forgettable, just ignore all the open world bloat and blitz the campaign.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Wheeee posted:

For as good as this game is, it has a lot of weaknesses that most modern open world games share, like a bunch of useless poo poo cluttering up the map to overwhelm players who feel compelled to complete things.

Most of the non-DLC side content unrelated to Aloy's exploration of the old world facilities is pretty forgettable, just ignore all the open world bloat and blitz the campaign.

There's...barely any map/POI clutter, the gently caress are you on about?

Most of the icons on the map are "Hey, here's a spot where you can hunt for this machine!"

There's are...4? Maybe 5? Tallnecks for AssCreed style removal of fog of war on the map.

The vast majority of the collectibles are located within easy distance of a quest location.

Are you sure you're playing the same game?

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

sigher posted:

I found the map collectibles and the Dino hunting zones cluttered my play experience too. You can turn them off, in the map options, and they should have been off by default.

Dragonshardz must be more used to ubisoft bullshit than you or I are, and is weirdly hostile about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Unlike many open-world games, the map icons do not necessitate you kill the machines there for any sort of reward. It's just "here is a machine."

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

exquisite tea posted:

Unlike many open-world games, the map icons do not necessitate you kill the machines there for any sort of reward. It's just "here is a machine."

They aren't even always populated!

poo poo, you only really see all the fluff collectibles on the map... if you buy the maps for them.

Corruption zones are just filler kill quests, but I like climbing tallnecks.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Horizon only requires 191 doo-dads to reach 100 completion. It far exceeds most Ubisoft titles which have the same five hours copy-pasted ten times.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

They also made the smart decision to have every tallneck encounter (Ubisoft tower) be slightly different, so you don't get sick of the few that exist.

No game is perfect, for instance in Horizon the human-human combat is much less interesting than the machine combat. But Horizon does a lot of things really, really right.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

ashpanash posted:

They also made the smart decision to have every tallneck encounter (Ubisoft tower) be slightly different, so you don't get sick of the few that exist.
Not to mention every cauldron, though it helps that there's only five.

I can see people being grumpy about some of the minor quest givers though. Some people have a fondness for the guy who wants to drink all the machine blood, but I did that quest nearly last and it was just "fetch this, see dialog, fetch that, see dialog".

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Sivart13 posted:

Not to mention every cauldron, though it helps that there's only five.

I can see people being grumpy about some of the minor quest givers though. Some people have a fondness for the guy who wants to drink all the machine blood, but I did that quest nearly last and it was just "fetch this, see dialog, fetch that, see dialog".

Pacing wise the far northwest one is great because it's usually the last one you hit and it's entirely different from the other 4. (Aside from Epsilon, of course)

Brin is like, whatever, you'd only do him if you were already all-in on getting 100% completion statistic (which isn't even a cheevo).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

On replays it's easy to line up Brin's quest with the Hunter's Lodge challenges so that you can get two trophies in one. 99% probability we'll be seeing that dude again in Forbidden West.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
And you can stack the back half of his quests with DLC content so you only need to do the one thunderjaw and stormbird kill. (Honestly that's not ever an issue by then since you'll at least be killing thunderjaws by the dozen, though I don't think stormbird kills are obligatory aside from those instances?)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 8, 2020

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

And you can stack the back half of his quests with DLC content so you only need to do the one thunderjaw and stormbird kill. (Honestly that's not ever an issue by then since you'll at least be killing thunderjaws by the dozen, though I don't think stormbird kills are obligatory aside from those instances?)
It's not obligatory as part of the main quest, but the side quest that takes you to Dervahl's workshop in the mountains has a mandatory fight with a Stormbird.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Why would you want to fight fewer robots though?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lord Hydronium posted:

It's not obligatory as part of the main quest, but the side quest that takes you to Dervahl's workshop in the mountains has a mandatory fight with a Stormbird.

There's a scripted Stormbird attack on the way to the ruins of Gaia Prime. I don't remember if you have to kill it to progress but it's pretty hard to miss.

Boogalo posted:

Also this. I've 100%'d this game twice now, purely because farting around gathering collectibles gives you an organic reason (and route) to trek across the map and just see what kind of trouble you stir up. By the time I was doing it in my NG+ playthrough there were literally no extrinsic rewards that meant anything to me left.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Boogalo posted:

While, yes, fighting robots is always* fun, I think overall TJs are better designed than Stormbirds, because everything they do is distinct. I don't think I know what all the bits I can honk off a Stormbird actually do, and I think those things have like a dozen different attacks that all do similar things, from different body components.

Given that, however, honking little bits off a Stormbird is Still Fun As Heck.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's a scripted Stormbird attack on the way to the ruins of Gaia Prime. I don't remember if you have to kill it to progress but it's pretty hard to miss.

I think I was able to get past that part by avoiding AND overriding it, so it wasn't an obligatory kill. I'll find out for sure when I get that far in this Ultra Hard run. Same with the Dervahl's workshop one.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 8, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dragonshardz posted:

There's...barely any map/POI clutter, the gently caress are you on about?

This isn't cluttered?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Horizon only requires 191 doo-dads to reach 100 completion. It far exceeds most Ubisoft titles which have the same five hours copy-pasted ten times.

I don't feel that Horizon has much in the way of varying content between those 191 collectables. And that leads to one of the biggest faults it has, there's a bunch of poo poo to collect but it's all too similar to get and it nets you nothing for collecting it. They should have dropped the upgrade system and scattered armor pieces, weapons, storage upgrades all over the world instead so that you have a reason to explore. Right now I'm collecting things just to see the areas that they're in, but ultimately I net myself a mug, a vantage point, metal flower, statue or data log and it's completely unrewarding. I keep hoping that I'll crest over a ridge and see a new machine that's really unique at least but that doesn't happen. I've seen nearly everything (save for the wet fart that is a Kopesh, at least it was new) by hour 15, and that was 30 hours ago.

At least the story is picking up though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Obviously I think the gear economy could just be replaced with a static set of customizable equipment, but the DLC improved the collectibles since it was all currency for elite gear.

191 means everything, not just collectibles but also missions, shadow items, machine scans, and activities. Horizon is smarter in its design compared to the same year's AC Origins because character progression isnt strictly numerical, you don't have to grind, combat is varied and welcome, and the story is well-paced instead of cramming poo poo at the end. Horizon's success is not any element of the game being original, but that every element works and doesn't outstay its welcome. Not the hunting upgrades of course.

You can filter the map. It's not necessary to have so many icons on screen unless you are seeking out a particular machine.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Been playing this game thing and I really like it. I find getting the animal parts to upgrade my inventory stuff a bit annoying, but it's not too bad. Game is loving gorgeous, though, so even when doing a the few nonsense fetch quests I don't feel too put off.

sean10mm posted:

Horizon zero dawn will get my 5800x hotter than prime 95 small fft torture test when optimizing shaders lmao, all 8 cores pegged at 100%, what the gently caress are they even doing

Optimizing. That heat is from the extra useless bits being exhausted from the GPU into the room and reacting with the air.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

sigher posted:

This isn't cluttered?

I don't feel that Horizon has much in the way of varying content between those 191 collectables. And that leads to one of the biggest faults it has, there's a bunch of poo poo to collect but it's all too similar to get and it nets you nothing for collecting it. They should have dropped the upgrade system and scattered armor pieces, weapons, storage upgrades all over the world instead so that you have a reason to explore. Right now I'm collecting things just to see the areas that they're in, but ultimately I net myself a mug, a vantage point, metal flower, statue or data log and it's completely unrewarding. I keep hoping that I'll crest over a ridge and see a new machine that's really unique at least but that doesn't happen. I've seen nearly everything (save for the wet fart that is a Kopesh, at least it was new) by hour 15, and that was 30 hours ago.

At least the story is picking up though.

Compared to a lot of other open world games, no, it's not. Other than the 60 collectibles, everything else on that map is there to do one of these things:

1. Allow you to fast-travel
2. Mark where machines of a specific type are
3. Mark the location of a settlement or POI (Cauldrons, Tallnecks, Ruins)
4. Mark a persistent side quest (hunting grounds)

Compare AssCreed Unity, where the map markers are over 50% collectibles:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A hilarious part of AC Unity is these difficult environmental puzzles scattered across the map. Complete all of them legitimately or use a loving guide so you can unlock a set of armour that does absolutely nothing. Cosmetic only.

You're not allowed to lockpick any of the red chests until you pass an abitrary point in the main story.

Ubisoft has excellent developers under creatively-restrictive and rear end-grabbing management. A good game should be like a meal: there's a main course with appetizers and dessert that has carbs, protein, vitamins, sugars, fats, minerals, and water. Most Ubisoft games are like eating 40 consecutive scoops of ice-cream. Sweet at first but you get sick of it sooner or later.

Watch Dogs 2 is good though. It has all the fun parts that were surgically removed from GTA V.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Lord Hydronium posted:

Just did this one in my UH run, the quest objectives should've listed "Kill the Stormbird" as optional. If you manage to disable all 3 lures, the Stormbird flies off. I tried to tie it down and beat it to death after disabling the lures, but I was wearing my stealth suit so even in UH, when I fell down the crevice while honking his wings he deaggroed and flew off.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

191 means everything, not just collectibles but also missions, shadow items, machine scans, and activities.

Oh that's a relief then, is there a place to check you completion %? I feel like I'm closer to getting everything than I thought.

Horizon's success is not any element of the game being original, but that every element works and doesn't outstay its welcome.

I dunno, I'm finding a lot of the systems in place here have gotten pretty tiresome to the point where I'm purposefully avoiding them completely or as much as possible. I've stopped looting other than to fill my heals or if it's a larger machine and I'm just running away from most combat encounters because shooting a bow for the billionth time has lost it's charm and it's not like killing things gives me anything important or worthwhille. It just feels like a huge waste of time engaging in combat. I do love when I pick up a canon or something that allows me to just lay waste to everything quickly to break up the bow usage. I really wish the melee combat wasn't so bad and that we had Shadow of the Colossus like abilities to climb on bigger machines and stab them that way. I guess all this can get addressed in the sequel, hopefully that hits PC too.

That AC map is a clusterfuck, jesus christ.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There are two completion menus that cover the base game and the expansion.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

A hilarious part of AC Unity is these difficult environmental puzzles scattered across the map. Complete all of them legitimately or use a loving guide so you can unlock a set of armour that does absolutely nothing. Cosmetic only.

You're not allowed to lockpick any of the red chests until you pass an abitrary point in the main story.

Ubisoft has excellent developers under creatively-restrictive and rear end-grabbing management. A good game should be like a meal: there's a main course with appetizers and dessert that has carbs, protein, vitamins, sugars, fats, minerals, and water. Most Ubisoft games are like eating 40 consecutive scoops of ice-cream. Sweet at first but you get sick of it sooner or later.

Watch Dogs 2 is good though. It has all the fun parts that were surgically removed from GTA V.

Fenix Rising seems quite great too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just finished the game and eh, I give it a C. Few characters are memorable and the ones that are aren't the most fleshed out or interesting, the gameplay doesn't do much new and didn't feel rewarding. The plot has some interesting ideas but the bit about military robots gone rogue because of evil AI was weak. So much of the story concerns itself with what happened in the past and I don't blame since it's the most interesting stuff they came up with, but my personal story (ie Aloy) isn't in the past, it's in the current world. Sylens taking fat steaming shits of exposition on Aloy explaining everything that she'll never change or fix isn't really compelling. The whole thing with Ted Faro was probably supposed to be some huge revelation, "This guy you will never meet ruined the world!!! Pithy ain't it!?" Well, no I've spend the last 40 hours knowing this world got ruined at some point and it being some dude I'll never interact with makes it have no impact.

The game is really pretty though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Post apocalyptic stories are always partly about the pre-apocalypse, they're about our time as viewed through the lens of history.

I never got the sense the identity of who hosed up the planet was supposed to be a source of pathos, its not a murder mystery. The surprise is how it got hosed up (totally) and why (for extremely petty reasons)

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
gently caress Ted Faro.

If I could bring one person from any fictional story to life, I would choose Ted Faro just so I could kill him myself. Holy loving poo poo.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I think the genius part of Ted Faro for me was TWICE?!?! HOW

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is the PC version nice and stable these days?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Inzombiac posted:

That question is a bit dependent on a few factors.
Honestly, it was really stable for me from day one, so I can't say.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Also heads-up. Horizon looks like it'll be one of the daily giveways on epic store during the next 2 weeks (dec 29th if the screenshot i saw is to be believed). I've never given epic a dime but have quite a library of freebies on it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

I've had 4 whole crashes since starting to play it, and none of them was the random CTD sort of crash you'd expect from Fallout/Skyrim/etc.

Right now my experience with it is relatively minor visual jank, like shadows popping in.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Most of the major problems have been fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It does still need a pretty beefy rig. I can run it 30-40 fps at 1440p on a 1080ti, 3770k but yeah haven't had any crashes in a long time.