Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Starship Down was a nice adventure episode, and I'm really loving watching Trek with the kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Beachcomber posted:

One of the few times TNG terrified kid-me.

The other involves a table.

I once had an exam that involved reading x-rays off a projector and to get better contrast the teacher kept the lights off and everyone was supposed to bring in a small flashlight so we could see what we were writing. The whole test period was a constant, irregular clicking as 100+ students intermittently switched flashlights on and off.

"I've been in this room before"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Random reflections on 2 things we watched this weekend: Generations and DS9 S5E11 "The Darkness and the Light"

Generations does get worse every time I watch it. I'm usually prone to defend it based on some of its aesthetically pleasing aspects and my good memories of it as a kid. Maybe being deep into DS9 is part of why I'm colder to it now. (My wife already had the destruction of the Enterprise spoiled by "The Way of the Warrior". Now DS9 got the First Contact uniforms and I think they reference FC pretty soon, so I'm trying to get that in the tank ASAP.)

It's so incredibly clear that they rushed this thing. They had vague ideas of things they wanted and barely figured out how to tie them together. You really could make something good out of its parts with a few more drafts. Actually, the emotional scenes (re: Picard's family) played a little stronger for me this time around. But they're so wasted.

We all know the biggest plot hole in the movie: Picard being told he can go "anywhere, any time" and making the least helpful choice possible for no apparent reason. This could've either been addressed with one line of dialog, or a reworked plot (and why not, because the plot is so inconsequential anyway). You could just say, "You can only travel to a place/time that was in the path of the Nexus". Bam. That limits him to a few known possibilities. 1) Veridian III (barely makes sense, because it would have to be before the Nexus actually arrived, but you can handwave that with a tachyon pulse or something). 2) The Enterprise B. Kirk and Soran were both there (Guinan could've told him this). Kirk gets to die in his own time, surrounded by his old friends. You'd have to find a way to get Picard back to the future, but that can't be that hard... 3) Some other planet the Nexus passed a little while ago, before Picard's family died. This would be tougher because Soran would've had to miss it somehow. But you could probably make it work. Foreshadow it in the Stellar Cartography scene maybe.

Anyway. DS9 "The Darkness and the Light". I was surprised by how much this episode didn't work. They're firing on all cylinders lately, but this one is really sloppy. It's like pieces from a bunch of better episodes spliced together because they needed a Kira episode. A bunch of old secret agents are being assassinated (but Kira's friends instead of Garak's), and there's a Cardassian who wasn't really directly involved in the occupation but was considered guilty by the Bajorans anyway -- so basically "Duet", but everyone kind of acts like that episode never happened. Kira's all like "you deserved to die just for being there" which is certainly easier to swallow due to this guy being a serial killer who's trying to give her a forced C-section, but still feels contradictory enough to "Duet" that it needs to be addressed somehow.

Worst of all, the episode ends with some of the worst dialog in the show's history: "He wanted to protect the innocent and separate the darkness from the light. But he didn't realize the light only shines in the dark, and sometimes innocence is just an excuse for the guilty." What the hell does that even mean? Whose emo high school kid's journal did they pull that from?

Apparently this was actually one of Bryan Fuller's first contributions to the franchise. That kind of explains it...

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 7, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The mention of First Contact on DS9 is literally one line in a random episode so you don’t really need to worry

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Remember when picard got the Moby Dick quote wrong?"
"How would you know what he said?"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The mention of First Contact on DS9 is literally one line in a random episode so you don’t really need to worry

It's really just my excuse to get her to watch it, because she likes DS9 more than everything else now and doesn't want to watch anything except that

Also I'm doing it via a 7-day trial of CBSAA, so there's no going back now

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ngl, I kinda dig this fake BOBW Part 2 cold open

https://twitter.com/mikeokuda/status/1336064661750337537?s=21

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

I would've been incredulous if I was forced to wait to the second part of this episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Gonz posted:

I would've been incredulous if I was forced to wait to the second part of this episode.

Patrick Stewart was driving around LA after the first part aired and some people drove up next to him and shouted that he had ruined their summer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"Not the right time, Q! gently caress off!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also from Trek Twitter

https://twitter.com/gates_mcfadden/status/1335757878783668224

Between this and Robert Duncan McNeil publicly reclaiming Threshold, this has been a banger few weeks for Great Awful Trek :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
McFadden owns, she’s also very aware of the ridiculous “There must be something wrong with the universe” line. She and Nana Visitor are both Cool Twitter Grandmas now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

McFadden owns, she’s also very aware of the ridiculous “There must be something wrong with the universe” line. She and Nana Visitor are both Cool Twitter Grandmas now.

I also appreciate Marina Sirtis having zero time for and going ham on any Twitter shitheads that cross her path in her always hilarious fashion too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

nine-gear crow posted:

I also appreciate Marina Sirtis having zero time for and going ham on any Twitter shitheads that cross her path in her always hilarious fashion too.

Sirtis feels neither pity nor mercy and it's great.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I was lucky to see the TNG cast reunion at a nerd con in 2014, and Sirtis was easily the highlight. She’s loving hilarious, and just about every story with her involved her being drunk on set.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If I was an empath who was forced to be around rick berman I'd drink all the time too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I’m 100% certain Beckett Mariner was named in Sirtis’ honour.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

I’m 100% certain Beckett Mariner was named in Sirtis’ honour.

Named after Mike McMahan's sister, Beckett Mariner McMahan.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Sir Lemming posted:

Generations does get worse every time I watch it. I'm usually prone to defend it based on some of its aesthetically pleasing aspects and my good memories of it as a kid. Maybe being deep into DS9 is part of why I'm colder to it now. (My wife already had the destruction of the Enterprise spoiled by "The Way of the Warrior". Now DS9 got the First Contact uniforms and I think they reference FC pretty soon, so I'm trying to get that in the tank ASAP.)

It's so incredibly clear that they rushed this thing. They had vague ideas of things they wanted and barely figured out how to tie them together. You really could make something good out of its parts with a few more drafts. Actually, the emotional scenes (re: Picard's family) played a little stronger for me this time around. But they're so wasted.

I find it hilarious because they spent months on the script of Generations and spent I think two weeks hammering out All Good Things....

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

MikeJF posted:

Named after Mike McMahan's sister, Beckett Mariner McMahan.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

V-Men posted:

I find it hilarious because they spent months on the script of Generations and spent I think two weeks hammering out All Good Things....

I think I read somewhere that RDM said he almost wished they hadn't done Yesterday's Enterprise, because that plotline would have been perfect for Generations/saying goodbye to Kirk.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Another sloppy moment in Generations: at the end, Troi asks Data why he's chosen not to remove the emotion chip. Even though earlier it's a big plot point that he can't remove it because it fused into his neural net or whatever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, that just get sloppier in the later movies. He can turn it off at will in First Contact and "he didn't take it with him" (WTF) in Insurrection.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

After Generations it becomes about as important as the excuses they use to explain why Worf is there

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Lemming posted:

Another sloppy moment in Generations: at the end, Troi asks Data why he's chosen not to remove the emotion chip. Even though earlier it's a big plot point that he can't remove it because it fused into his neural net or whatever.

She doesn't ask that. She asks if he's feeling okay.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I know everyone makes fun of the Voyager episode with the scary clown but it was actually...pretty good? The second half felt a bit off, where the villain used death as a cudgel rather than keeping the horror movie vibe of the first half but on the other hand if they went too intense it would probably be too much for a show whose viewers weren't expecting horror going in

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I know everyone makes fun of the Voyager episode with the scary clown but it was actually...pretty good? The second half felt a bit off, where the villain used death as a cudgel rather than keeping the horror movie vibe of the first half but on the other hand if they went too intense it would probably be too much for a show whose viewers weren't expecting horror going in

I don't think I've really seen anyone make fun of The Thaw all that much. It actually really good and also has one of the best Thou Shalt Not gently caress With Kathryn Janeway moments of all time at the end.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
oh maybe I got the wrong impression from people posting the extremely ridiculous out-of-context images

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Eh, that just get sloppier in the later movies. He can turn it off at will in First Contact and "he didn't take it with him" (WTF) in Insurrection.

Eh, I assumed that after the events of Generations and everyone actually has a moment to breath that he and Geordi get it 'un-fused' or whatever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

oh maybe I got the wrong impression from people posting the extremely ridiculous out-of-context images

Yeah, it looks incredibly rizzable out of context, but it's probably one of the better episodes of Voyager in general and Joe Menosky's career as a writer in particular. Nobody really gets that because lol who the gently caress would watch Season 2 Voyager?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

can't talk poo poo about an episode guest starring Chuck McGilll

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, it looks incredibly rizzable out of context, but it's probably one of the better episodes of Voyager in general and Joe Menosky's career as a writer in particular. Nobody really gets that because lol who the gently caress would watch Season 2 Voyager?

:stare:

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

nine-gear crow posted:

Brad Dourif fans?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Timby posted:

She doesn't ask that. She asks if he's feeling okay.

Not unless this transcript is inaccurate -- which is possible given how much the script was revised, but it seems to match up with my memory...

http://www.chakoteya.net/movies/movie7.html

quote:

DATA: It has been extremely difficult, Counselor.
TROI: Then why did you decide not to remove the emotion chip?
DATA: At first I was unprepared for the unpredictable nature of the emotions. However having experienced two hundred and sixty-one distinct emotional states, I believe I have learned to control my feelings. They will no longer control me.

Speaking of Generations, I did appreciate how the changeling disguised as Soran's nephew Bashir was planning to do one of those trilithium bomb things in "By Inferno's Light". But in a much more scientifically plausible way, delivering it personally in a kamikaze run rather than an apparently warp-speed missile.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 9, 2020

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"The Thaw" is the best episode of "Star Trek: The Original Series"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Thaw is great because it stars one half of the amazing Lenny and Squiggy team.

RIP Squiggy, aka David Lander.. who starred in Peak Performance, TNG season 2, as the Ferengi tactician.. passed away recently due to multiple sclerosis..

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wheeee posted:

can't talk poo poo about an episode guest starring Chuck McGilll
This

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"The Thaw" is the best episode of "Star Trek: The Original Series"

Holy poo poo I wanna see the end of the episode delivered by peak 60s Shatner now

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Holy poo poo I wanna see the end of the episode delivered by peak 60s Shatner now

🤡: ...I'm afraid.

:smug:: I... know.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Janeway deserved a better show. Archer frankly didn't deserve the scraps he was given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I don't believe Kirk would have been so stone loving cold.