Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

infernal machines posted:

except according to all the reviews it's also just awful at being a tablet/pda too. like, nothing about it runs well or is properly designed for the form factor, and then you have the usual android jank under that

fair although my needs are pretty limited. i’d like a two page e reader tbh and not two columns with a ton of margins. xcloud, web browsing. maybe emulators. kind of all i’d use an android device for.

they really should have built up better business software for it outside of office though admittedly i couldn’t tell you what that would look like.

typical microsoft tho, iffy software but great hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not clear that the hardware was good either (and they have certainly shipped a lot of bad hardware at various times). but in principle agreed, i would have liked to see a better attempt at the weird niche they were seemingly going for. and generally more focus on different productivity'ish small portables.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mediaphage posted:

fair although my needs are pretty limited. i’d like a two page e reader tbh and not two columns with a ton of margins.
that’s not a need, and you can get that with nearly any tablet in landscape mode.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
"You're needing it wrong"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

"You're needing it wrong"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

that’s not a need, and you can get that with nearly any tablet in landscape mode.

lmao go gently caress yourself

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
WP7 was amazing. They shot themselves in the foot, leg, and face with the WP7 -> WP8 -> WP10 transition. Absolutely terribly managed and shameful.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DoomTrainPhD posted:

WP7 was amazing. They shot themselves in the foot, leg, and face with the WP7 -> WP8 -> WP10 transition. Absolutely terribly managed and shameful.
windows phone 7 landed with as weak of a splat as the rest of microsoft's mobile efforts but the upgrade fiasco to 8 and 10 alienated most of their fanbase

microsoft outspent google and apple like 2:1 combined on ads, events, product placement, massively favorable news coverage, etc. for a full year and nobody bought winpho 7

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 9, 2020

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

microsoft outspent google and apple like 2:1 combined on ads, events, product palcement, massively favorable news coverage, etc. for a full year and nobody bought winpho 7
something to remember whenever anyone goes on and on about how marketing hype can get the sheeple to buy anything

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the instant they decided not to make it free for oems it was utterly doomed to lose to android

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

windows phone 7 landed with as weak of a splat as the rest of microsoft's mobile efforts but the upgrade fiasco to 8 and 10 alienated most of their fanbase

microsoft outspent google and apple like 2:1 combined on ads, events, product placement, massively favorable news coverage, etc. for a full year and nobody bought winpho 7

that was when microsoft were on their "everything must be c#" kick and, unsurprisingly, few developers were going to go through the trouble of rewriting their ios/android apps just for winpho

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i had an og winpho 7 device and then a second gen winpho 7/7.5 device for a few years. i really liked the lumia.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

the phone to save you from your phone.

you see, we would rather you don't use our products. this is good marketing

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the obvious

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:rip: lunix archduke

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Google pushed out version 50 of Carrier Services, and afterward, many users—including Samsung, OnePlus, LG, Motorola, and TCL customers—have reported sending-and-receiving issues for SMS. Android Police says it has received some reports of users being automatically downgraded to the previous working version of the app, Carrier Services v48.

If you want to check your version of Carrier Services, the easiest way is to open the system settings, hit the search button in the top right, type in "Carrier Services," and press the app info result for the Carrier Services app (it has a multi-colored puzzle piece next to it). If your Android skin has somehow broken the settings search feature (it happens), the long way is pressing on "apps & notifications," then "see all ~100 apps," then scrolling to find Carrier Services. Once you're on the App info screen, press "Advanced" at the bottom, and you should see the version string all the way at the bottom. If you're on version 50 and having problems, uninstalling app updates (available via the three-dot button in the top right) is a temporary fix.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Clark Nova posted:

Google pushed out version 50 of Carrier Services, and afterward, many users—including Samsung, OnePlus, LG, Motorola, and TCL customers—have reported sending-and-receiving issues for SMS. Android Police says it has received some reports of users being automatically downgraded to the previous working version of the app, Carrier Services v48.

If you want to check your version of Carrier Services, the easiest way is to open the system settings, hit the search button in the top right, type in "Carrier Services," and press the app info result for the Carrier Services app (it has a multi-colored puzzle piece next to it). If your Android skin has somehow broken the settings search feature (it happens), the long way is pressing on "apps & notifications," then "see all ~100 apps," then scrolling to find Carrier Services. Once you're on the App info screen, press "Advanced" at the bottom, and you should see the version string all the way at the bottom. If you're on version 50 and having problems, uninstalling app updates (available via the three-dot button in the top right) is a temporary fix.

Is this an Aynrandroid thing or a Google Fi thing?

:ohdear:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Is this an Aynrandroid thing or a Google Fi thing?

:ohdear:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/12/google-breaks-sms-on-many-android-phones-is-rolling-back-changes-now/

I thought the instructions on how to check on some mysterious component that can break text messaging were funny

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Clark Nova posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/12/google-breaks-sms-on-many-android-phones-is-rolling-back-changes-now/

I thought the instructions on how to check on some mysterious component that can break text messaging were funny

I just updated all my apps and checked carrier services version and it was 48. Wow, what a shitshow, I wonder what broke within that component.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

starbucks hermit posted:

I just updated all my apps and checked carrier services version and it was 48. Wow, what a shitshow, I wonder what broke within that component.

Aynrandroid

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lol

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
another day, another google product cancellation

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/12/google-kills-the-google-home-max-the-400-speaker-is-no-longer-in-production/

:rip: google home max

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao i forgot that existed like five minutes after the press release

i bet they sold some really embarrassing number of them, like a few hundred or something at the most

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mediaphage posted:

lmao i forgot that existed like five minutes after the press release

i bet they sold some really embarrassing number of them, like a few hundred or something at the most

those microsoft fitness band numbers where there's more given away as promos inside the company than ever sold retail

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Google constantly produces hardware at the same price or a tiny bit cheaper than Apple with the hopes that people forget they aren’t Apple. Every time they fail to realize that their main products are free and nobody wants to pay premium pricing for a Google product.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Google thinks they’re a premium brand. they are not

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also "make a product that is useful and works properly" is way down their list of priorities from "make a product that shows ads and harvests data" and people recognize this and steer clear.

google product managers in a meeting all "but we made it from anodized aluminum and used a sans-serif font!! what more do they want??" and someone says "have you tried asking the users what they want it to do" and that guy gets thrown out the window

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
google hardware is such a reliable and neverending source of lols

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"omg he's so rich, too. everything he owns is Google brand"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

also "make a product that is useful and works properly" is way down their list of priorities from "make a product that shows ads and harvests data" and people recognize this and steer clear.
lol no they don't

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

lol no they don't

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Endless Mike posted:

lol no they don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

google home sucks because they’re trying to chase apple and amazon at the same time instead of having their own product vision. that said when left to their own devices their product vision is “creepy head computer that only works for an hour before the battery dies” so where they are now is probably as good as they’re capable of doing

their whole company is built on early 2000s software process and everything that isn’t software they try to make it fit that mold because their leadership got rich that way so it’s the technically correct way to do everything