Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

LorneReams posted:

Some of the chests respawn

the only respawning chests i've ever seen are the common ones inside the big amber blobs, on amber blob mountain. Are there others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

gandlethorpe posted:

Hopefully true. Pyro really needs the spotlight.

Yes, Mihiyo needs to throw some constellations for the Amber mains.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Are there any hard data yet on prototype weapon drop rates? I invested in levelling 3 of them because I was told they were "crafted" and easier to refine than 4* gacha weapons. I just hit AR49 doing every weekly boss possible on the way and I haven't seen a single one.

I'm wondering if I should just give up and start rolling the weapon banner? I don't want Zhongli and I have Razor and Chongyun. While I love the design of Xinyan she doesn't offer anything worth the crippling cost of ascending a new character when I already have four (C6 Ning, C2 Klee, Tartaglia, C3 Razor) I'd love to level. Maybe if the bosses ever dropped chunks I could handle it but the geo and water bosses are real dick punches to fight and the geo one is just plain not fun.

What's the argument for keeping going on the limited banner after this one? It feels like with power creep by the time I could level someone there will be a better choice on the table or coming up. I am about 70 pity, is there any reason to get Zhongli? It looks like the best arguments for using him involve his late constellations and my getting even C2 Klee was basically a lottery pick (3 Klees in 47 pulls).

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Araganzar posted:

It feels like with power creep by the time I could level someone there will be a better choice on the table or coming up.

I mean, that's always possible, but there has been pretty much no power creep so far. The best DPS is still Diluc, a character from the standard banner. The best support is still Venti, a character from the very first limited banner. The best healers are Qiqi and Bennett, both standard banner.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Complaining about “power creep” in a game where literally every banner character has been weaker than the last seems kind of weird. Zhongli is rear end to mediocre at best, Tartaglia was very powerful, Klee was even more powerful and Venti was broken beyond belief.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Araganzar posted:

What's the argument for keeping going on the limited banner after this one? It feels like with power creep by the time I could level someone there will be a better choice on the table or coming up. I am about 70 pity, is there any reason to get Zhongli? It looks like the best arguments for using him involve his late constellations and my getting even C2 Klee was basically a lottery pick (3 Klees in 47 pulls).

Mihoyo seem to be suggesting that there are going to be more parts to the Geo puzzle who aren't out yet (Albedo being one), and Zhongli is meant to grow more powerful as these extra pieces fall into place.

Whether any of that will end up making him (especially his C0 version) actually good is anyone's guess. I would not recommend him in his current state, with his current lack of support. That's all I am confident saying.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Selane posted:

Complaining about “power creep” in a game where literally every banner character has been weaker than the last seems kind of weird. Zhongli is rear end to mediocre at best, Tartaglia was very powerful, Klee was even more powerful and Venti was broken beyond belief.

drat, at this rate Ganyu really will be Ice Amber

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ashenai posted:

Don't farm the artifact domains for 4*s, it's a total waste of resin. It's best to leave those domains well alone until AR 45 (which is when you start getting guaranteed 5*s).

You will eventually want to have two teams (8 fully capable characters), so if you're happy with your main team, start working on your secondary! Doing leylines is also never a waste of resin, you will very much run out of both mora and XP books (this might not be apparent at AR 30, but trust me).

Artifact farming routes are a good alternative for leveling up 4* artifacts until you can get 5*s.

Unless I'm forgetting another use you'll only need two well-built teams if you want to dive into Spiral Abyss. Try it out before building up a second team. After floor 5, you should be able to decide if this is a fun thing you want to get into. If not, spend resources on something else you want or Leylines if unsure.

Spiral Abyss is the best Post-Game content atm, and has big primo gem rewards every two weeks. Some people really like it.
To me it's a grind and not worth the cost, but it's something to do and I'm fine when the handbook says to do it.

There are multiple things to enjoy about the game and ways to play it. Try everything and find the fun.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Ashenai posted:

Whether any of that will end up making him (especially his C0 version) actually good is anyone's guess. I would not recommend him in his current state, with his current lack of support. That's all I am confident saying.

If it’s any consolation I have C1 Zhongli and main Ningguang and even then it’s not really worth the effort from what I’ve seen. Whether he ends up being useable might be contingent on whether Albedo can make it to release without getting meganerfed.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Araganzar posted:

Are there any hard data yet on prototype weapon drop rates? I invested in levelling 3 of them because I was told they were "crafted" and easier to refine than 4* gacha weapons. I just hit AR49 doing every weekly boss possible on the way and I haven't seen a single one.

I'm wondering if I should just give up and start rolling the weapon banner? I don't want Zhongli and I have Razor and Chongyun. While I love the design of Xinyan she doesn't offer anything worth the crippling cost of ascending a new character when I already have four (C6 Ning, C2 Klee, Tartaglia, C3 Razor) I'd love to level. Maybe if the bosses ever dropped chunks I could handle it but the geo and water bosses are real dick punches to fight and the geo one is just plain not fun.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ogaEsOEzGdnh-EccL6Y5FSOcEGKFdTFpEW9w5Vo-HCY/edit#gid=538920321

I wouldn't call it hard data, but it looks around 10% chance.

If there are weapons on the weapon banner that are best in class for your main chars then roll the weapon banner I guess. Just keep in mind you can still roll characters on the weapon banner. The only weapon banner I wish I had rolled on (I haven't rolled on any) is the one that had almost all sacrificial weapons.

The best argument for limited banner is being able to get constellations on specific characters (or at least a better chance) and building pity towards a 5* you might want.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

awesmoe posted:

the only respawning chests i've ever seen are the common ones inside the big amber blobs, on amber blob mountain. Are there others?

I've found tons of common ones that I've gotten before (they seem to respawn in slightly different places but in the same general area), and they give like 20 exp, but only the gems the first time. If you don't get the gems from the chest, it's probably a respawn.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Ashenai posted:

Yeah, that seems reasonable to me. He actually looks cool with a full constellation.

I haven't seen power creep in this game but I just assumed that's how these games get people who aren't just pure completionists to keep investing. This is my first game like this, I basically got it because it was cheaper than buying a Switch+Breath of Fire.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Tsyni posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ogaEsOEzGdnh-EccL6Y5FSOcEGKFdTFpEW9w5Vo-HCY/edit#gid=538920321
I wouldn't call it hard data, but it looks around 10% chance.

If there are weapons on the weapon banner that are best in class for your main chars then roll the weapon banner I guess. Just keep in mind you can still roll characters on the weapon banner. The only weapon banner I wish I had rolled on (I haven't rolled on any) is the one that had almost all sacrificial weapons.

Wow, I would have thought the drop rate would go up with world level. I guess I'll be happy with what I have and complain about the talent material drop rate instead in the future...

The weapon banner doesn't seem like such a great investment if it also has rando characters. It feels like it would be better to just save the pulls for future limited banners.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Araganzar posted:

Yeah, that seems reasonable to me. He actually looks cool with a full constellation.

I haven't seen power creep in this game but I just assumed that's how these games get people who aren't just pure completionists to keep investing. This is my first game like this, I basically got it because it was cheaper than buying a Switch+Breath of Fire.

Yeah I think that's a smart observation. There's no power creep yet. I would expect there to be some eventually, but who knows when? The more people are willing to spend on waifus and husbandos without caring about their stats, the less power creep is necessary. Supposedly people spent a LOT on Zhongli, despite him being possibly the weakest 5* to date.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
yeah everyone was expecting power creep. But I think in this game there were so many weird rules and mechanics that a bunch of op (fun) mistakes made it into the first pool of characters/items and the subsequent releases tried to not make the same mistakes. One example is crit rate/crit damage being way too powerful as ascension stats so future characters didnt get it. Another is being a little too generous with orb generation letting your entire team ult on CD forever. Another was having a bunch of ex-Monster Hunter World streamers grind 12-3 underleveled for seven hours and conclude that shields aren't useful because they beat it eventually. So the way the first few heroes performed on live led to the future ones being toned down.

This is just speculation tho. Maybe it's a master plan idk.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 9, 2020

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ashenai posted:

Yep. Sorry! (Oh also, use all your resin every day.) Genshin is a hybrid action-RPG and mobile gacha game, and the "mobile gacha" part is what you're experiencing now, complete with progress gating.

These games are meant to be played at low intensity for a very long time (years). If you can't accept this part of it, you should be aware that it's going to get worse from now on.

Your other option is to accept that you're basically done with the game for now, and play something else until new content comes out (Dragonspine Mountain will be released on December 23, it should be a pretty solid new chunk of content.)

In addition to the things that increase your adventurer XP (dailies and spending resin on world bosses or leylines or domains), you'll also want to hit up several things that refresh daily.

When you reach reputation level 2 in each city you can talk to the smith and choose the question balloon option to put some ore deposits on your map. The magical crystal ore isn't the best thing to spend resin on, but it spawns alongside regular crystal ore, which is good to refine and usually only comes back on a much longer timer.

Also you'll want the miniboss materials to refine weapons and their associated enemy materials to level up characters and talents, so doing the non-resin bosses from your adventurer's handbook is a good use of your time, just to store up materials for later.

You can get a couple hours of game in every day, easy, at least if you want to.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Cobalt-60 posted:

2 questions.

1. If you pull a 5-star before 70, does that reset the pity effect? Got Jean at 50 but still wishing for Diluc. Also, does the 90 pull 5-star guarantee only apply to the limted time banners?

2. I'm at adventurer level 31, with no quests anywhere and the map almost fully explored. How do I get to level 35 for the next quest?

There are definitely some stretches in this game where there aren't enough quests and you have to go farm for a few days. AR30-35 is one of them. It's a major flaw in the game that I hope they fix over time.

Once you hit AR35 though, the content stops. Literally all there is to do is farm overworld mats, domains and abyss until the next content drops. If you treat this like a early access game and just stop when the content stops, you won't burn out on farming.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
The only power creep that will definitely make me put down the game is if they add 6* artifacts.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

funkymonks posted:

The only power creep that will definitely make me put down the game is if they add 6* artifacts.

what if... you could merge five lv20 5* artifacts to get a random new 6*?

hire me mihoyo I have many other ideas

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Lechtansi posted:

There are definitely some stretches in this game where there aren't enough quests and you have to go farm for a few days. AR30-35 is one of them. It's a major flaw in the game that I hope they fix over time.

Once you hit AR35 though, the content stops. Literally all there is to do is farm overworld mats, domains and abyss until the next content drops. If you treat this like a early access game and just stop when the content stops, you won't burn out on farming.

That's solid advice.

I also wonder if some of the intention is to go explore slowly. Do bosses, spend resin, farm mats for a new weapon, etc. That's essentially what I've been doing and I'm in the Liuye section of the main quest and I've done two character quests total. Other than those I've been having fun squirreling away ascension mats, killing bosses for gems and McGuffins (and hopefully artifacts) and farming various enemies for their mats.

I know the WL marches on and it's maybe my one gripe about this game; that there isn't a stop at each WL change so that, even if you DO collect xp that will be retroactively added to your AR once the WL ticks over, you're not suddenly thrust into a WL that frustrates you because you didn't have the goods to ascend your carry and things take way longer to kill.

I know MP is the answer, but still.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I'm deep in the lore, so that tends to tie me over as well. I've 100% (except for this thread now) avoided looking anything up online.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The main obstacle to me continuing with the archon quest is that this Childe fellow seems like he sucks a lot and the game wants me to like him. At least big Zhong's inability to understand money despite his obvious true identity is kinda funny, but it's very frustrating that the story so far is "go visit these gods and don't mess with the fantasy KGB and their sinister plan, except this one guy who is totally cool and definitely not part of the problem, honest, please roll for him." At least Scaramouche's turn from "who's this weird guy" to "uh oh" was well done.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

The Deleter posted:

The main obstacle to me continuing with the archon quest is that this Childe fellow seems like he sucks a lot and the game wants me to like him. At least big Zhong's inability to understand money despite his obvious true identity is kinda funny, but it's very frustrating that the story so far is "go visit these gods and don't mess with the fantasy KGB and their sinister plan, except this one guy who is totally cool and definitely not part of the problem, honest, please roll for him." At least Scaramouche's turn from "who's this weird guy" to "uh oh" was well done.

Everyone's a badass until the choir starts singing in latin.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

The Deleter posted:

He cares about his family and he tries his best. When we all get to go to Ice Russia, I'm sure it's a hard land with hard people.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
His pre-boss fight translation was totally messed up unfortunately (or so i heard, i dont speak chinese). English has something strange like "I cant stand weak people" when in the original it was apparently more like "it's too bad but if the weak are hurt it cant be helped". Not that it makes him a good guy but it fits his overall characterization/story better (that something crazy happened to him when he was 14 that made him a ruthless battle maniac and that he thinks the world is violence, but he feels weird enough about it that he's obsessed with preserving teucer's innocence).

Obviously Tart and the fatui still being welcome in liyue is just inane tho.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 9, 2020

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

No Wave posted:

Obviously Tart and the fatui still being welcome in liyue is just inane tho.

tbh even this part makes sense to me, he was there to be the scapegoat for the rest of the Fatui and he's such a troublemaking psycho that no one wants to be the guy to try and throw him out. everyone just avoids eye contact while he supports local businesses by buying 300K mora shoelaces or whatever for Zhongli

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
It's pretty much a given that all the harbingers are gonna end up playable right? like, along the lines of "oops our whole cunning plan has inadvertently brought about the apocalypse and now we're all gonna fight the real adversary" or something like that. what do you call your act? anime!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm glad that people are no longer sleeping on bennett, but i'm here to suggest that anyone who doesn't have klee/diluc (or only has one of them and is interested in pushing abyss 12) should consider building bennett for damage instead of healing/support. dps bennett is a total death blender because he can spam his skill every 2 seconds under the effects of his burst, which means he can generate enough energy for himself to use the burst on cooldown, which means he can spam his skill, etc. being able to generate 12-14 particles every 15 seconds also is enough to charge your offensive supports very quickly, and he gets to bring one more of them because he doesn't need a healer.

the monster hunter spreadsheet people consider him the best 4* dps unit other than a c4+ razor, and his being pyro-based is a huge edge over razor or even keqing on abyss 12 because of that +75% fire damage modifier. besides, he's good enough at healing/support that he can do that job even without gear, anyway--you'll just have to swing an e or two after bursting instead of relying on energy recharge, which is something that you should probably be doing anyway to take advantage of pyro reactions.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like Signora's model would definitely get a toned down redesign for her playable version but yeah they're probably all characters you can roll eventually

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I believe Scaramouche was datamined as an electro catalyst user and La Signora is already walking around with a catalyst. just assume anyone with a vision is going to show up on a banner eventually.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

YES bread posted:

tbh even this part makes sense to me, he was there to be the scapegoat for the rest of the Fatui and he's such a troublemaking psycho that no one wants to be the guy to try and throw him out. everyone just avoids eye contact while he supports local businesses by buying 300K mora shoelaces or whatever for Zhongli

Zhongli buying 128K mora chopsticks for Childe on the Fatui's dime had me in stitches. Using the guy's own money to give him a gift he can't even use properly, what a move.

Stanko-Prussian posted:

It's pretty much a given that all the harbingers are gonna end up playable right? like, along the lines of "oops our whole cunning plan has inadvertently brought about the apocalypse and now we're all gonna fight the real adversary" or something like that. what do you call your act? anime!

I think it'll be more like "these guys are collectively terrible people who do human experimentation and all that but we're all on the side of Kill God To Free Humanity, so we temporarily have to put aside our differences in order to not bite it and doom everyone." Some of them are meant to be sympathetic villains, like Childe and probably the Tsaritsa, but Dottore seems 100% evil from what we've seen so far.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Do you think they'll make your sibling a playable character with different elements?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

YES bread posted:

I believe Scaramouche was datamined as an electro catalyst user and La Signora is already walking around with a catalyst. just assume anyone with a vision is going to show up on a banner eventually.

what about that fishing guy at the liyue inn from the one daily quest

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They don't need to be secretly gray to be playable. Gacha, including Honkai, has made playable characters out of even dead characters.

Fire Emblem Heroes is one of more hilarious scale where 90% of the dead characters was followed up with a Summer banner event.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Stanko-Prussian posted:

God drat today's gliding challenge is a pain in the rear end.

It really expects you to get full use out of your updraft and the booster. Something that can trip you up is that you need to pull back to stay in the upcurrent by the lake, you need to go real high there.

I needed Reventi's Gale to stall long enough for some of those bobbing medals in the beginning canyon slalom, though. I probably could have just worked on timing there, but eh.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

what about that fishing guy at the liyue inn from the one daily quest

this guy and Madam Ping will be spearheading the 6* rollout somewhere around the first year anniversary

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
The gliding challenge really feels like leftover assets from when they were making a game that was not mobile+ with gacha elements.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I really like the gliding challenges

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Yeah the gliding challenges are a fun break from the grind. I don't know if I'd enjoy it as much if there was a lot more of it, but I've been having fun with Dandy and this event. I remember when I first figured out the key to completing one of Dandy's challenges (cut the glider and go into freefall), and it was a legit cool moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

LorneReams posted:

Do you think they'll make your sibling a playable character with different elements?

I wonder if you'll ever be as tall as your big sister.