Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
cars 2 was better than avatar wtf chapo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

district 9 was the shittiest movie of the year and it wasn’t even close. what the gently caress is wrong with this thread lmao

Some films released in 2009, the year District 9 was released:
Hotel For Dogs
Paul Blart: Mall Cop
The Dark Knight
Fanboys
The Pink Panther 2
Confessions Of a Shopaholic
Madea Goes To Jail
Street Fighter: The Legend Of Chun-Li
Knowing
12 Rounds
C Me Dance
Dragon Ball Evolution
Gooby
Ghosts Of Girlfriends Past
X-men Origins: Wolverine
Angels And Demons
Dance Flick
Land Of The Lost
The Proposal
Year One
Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen
G-Force
The Ugly Truth
All About Steve
Extract
I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell
The Invention Of Lying
Couples Retreat
The Marine 2
Saw 6
Gentlemen Broncos
The Robert Zemeckis Christmas Carol
The Blind Side
Old Dogs
American Pie Presents: The Book of Love
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
Revenge of the Fallen is probably worst movie ever made until transformers 5

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

MonsieurChoc posted:

Mark Twain's anime waifu was Jeanne D'Arc.

I'm not even kidding.

Someone go back in time and tell him that King Arthur was actually a girl

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel is the greatest work of communist theory ever written, move over Marx

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
what happened to the home tree should happen to this thread since it contains the planets densest concentration of lovely takes

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

I Before E posted:

Some films released in 2009, the year District 9 was released:
Hotel For Dogs
Paul Blart: Mall Cop
The Dark Knight
Fanboys
The Pink Panther 2
Confessions Of a Shopaholic
Madea Goes To Jail
Street Fighter: The Legend Of Chun-Li
Knowing
12 Rounds
C Me Dance
Dragon Ball Evolution
Gooby
Ghosts Of Girlfriends Past
X-men Origins: Wolverine
Angels And Demons
Dance Flick
Land Of The Lost
The Proposal
Year One
Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen
G-Force
The Ugly Truth
All About Steve
Extract
I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell
The Invention Of Lying
Couples Retreat
The Marine 2
Saw 6
Gentlemen Broncos
The Robert Zemeckis Christmas Carol
The Blind Side
Old Dogs
American Pie Presents: The Book of Love
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel

i wrote movie reviews for my local paper in 2009 which meant i had to see a movie every week so maybe thats coloring my opinion on this but im pretty sure that was the worst year ever for movies. anyway the dark knight came out in 2008

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AnarchoBreadism/status/1336777138062680068?s=20

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think I could sit in a room with Ben Shapiro's corpse for 23 hours and 57 minutes.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

It also had the white main character essentially be a helpless rube who is forced into doing the right thing, while the actual hero of the story was a bug alien.

District 9 also had the white main character transformed physically into a member of the subaltern group

District 9 is really more of a cum town movie though. A white South African guy turns into a bug and Nigerians are a minor antagonists.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I didn’t like Avatar at all when I saw it but that was ten years ago and now I am open to revisiting it.

No fuckin way it’s better than District 9 though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

A white South African guy turns into a bug
A dramatic improvement really.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
District 9 was good but I appreciate Chappie more for making the main characters be extremely unlikable rappers playing fantasy versions of themselves, shooting most of it like a music video and then at the end instead of a moral lesson about accepting death or whatever the solution is 'lol just become a god and bring your friends back to life'

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

District 9 also had the white main character transformed physically into a member of the subaltern group

District 9 is really more of a cum town movie though. A white South African guy turns into a bug and Nigerians are a minor antagonists.

too bad it didnt have an extremely flamboyant older man on roller blades constantly berating the main character though

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

what happened to the home tree should happen to this thread since it contains the planets densest concentration of lovely takes
*me, in the discord, pointing to T-man's posts* "your scanners don't pick them up but they have support structures here, here, and here"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hooplah posted:

finally someone is willing to say it. elysium was dumb as rocks and chappie was like a committee-designed meme

Of all the criticisms I've seen people level at Chappie, "too safe" is definitely the most baffling

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Of all the criticisms I've seen people level at Chappie, "too safe" is definitely the most baffling

i just hate when films are too corporate and audience-friendly, like chappie or freddy got fingered or lost highway

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

that’s chappie

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gripweed posted:

i'm not trying to imply they should've been more out there or whatever. it just felt like a bunch of people jamming in all their random-rear end meme-y ideas like how the robot talks but also die antwoord just plays themselves in the movie... i can hardly remember any details because it was so forgettable but it was all just so absurd and not really in a fun way. maybe the movie just wasnt for me because i think die antwoord sucks. i didnt find their characters interesting or compelling

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

District 10 should be about Vickus getting cancelled for appropriating Prawn identity.

Blomkamp is all about characters moving up and down social hierarchies, even when it should be biologically or technologically impossible

Wickus becomes a bug, everyone on Earth in Elysium gets citizenship and healthcare, and all the rappers in Chappie get uploaded into liberated robot cop bodies. Also in each of his movies, to different extents, the armed enforcers end up being the guys calling the shots, overruling their corporate or political bosses. It's sort of wild how Blomkamp came out with a bunch of blockbusters like this during the "Obama" era and hasn't done a major Hollywood film since 2015. None of it is revolutionary, but it seems more relevant now than it did when it came out.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
trying to decide if avatar is problematic because the oppressed native stand-in is too pretty or if district 9 is problematic because the oppressed lower class stand-in are giant cockroaches

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

do you think the aliens from avatar and the aliens from district 9 would be friends

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

jordan peterson will at least be able to carry on a conversation about pop culture from the 90s he liked

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

trying to decide if avatar is problematic because the oppressed native stand-in is too pretty or if district 9 is problematic because the oppressed lower class stand-in are giant cockroaches

*addresses filmmakers* You did a racism. You did a no-growth.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lumpentroll posted:

do you think the aliens from avatar and the aliens from district 9 would be friends

the na'vi are cat people, so maybe they would bond over a shared love of cat food

they're the same alien, except one is the image of the native living in their ancestral land, the other is image of the native that's been displaced

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

the na'vi are cat people, so maybe they would bond over a shared love of cat food

they're the same alien, except one is the image of the native living in their ancestral land, the other is image of the native that's been displaced

ah.....finally an interesting take

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

what was good about district 9 (sincere question)

It was nice to see a hi budget sci-fi not from an American perspective

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

district 9 looked really cool and i liked all the action sequences where people get exploded into goo. it feels like the movie is sort of dumber and simpler than it wants you to think it is but its still fun

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Brigadier Sockface posted:

It was nice to see a hi budget sci-fi not from an American perspective
did some research and you might find this interesting

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

for the record "district 9 is a worse movie than paul blart mall cop" and "rogue one is the best star wars movie" are the same opinion

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

District 10 should be about Vickus getting cancelled for appropriating Prawn identity.

Blomkamp is all about characters moving up and down social hierarchies, even when it should be biologically or technologically impossible

Wickus becomes a bug, everyone on Earth in Elysium gets citizenship and healthcare, and all the rappers in Chappie get uploaded into liberated robot cop bodies. Also in each of his movies, to different extents, the armed enforcers end up being the guys calling the shots, overruling their corporate or political bosses. It's sort of wild how Blomkamp came out with a bunch of blockbusters like this during the "Obama" era and hasn't done a major Hollywood film since 2015. None of it is revolutionary, but it seems more relevant now than it did when it came out.

He's got one in production.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Avatar is about cultural appropriation of the able bodied. Stairs are a culture not a costume.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Atrocious Joe posted:

Blomkamp came out with a bunch of blockbusters like this during the "Obama" era and hasn't done a major Hollywood film since 2015. None of it is revolutionary, but it seems more relevant now than it did when it came out.
i'm guessing he probably just ended up getting kind of blacklisted for awhile because they didn't sell very well or something. It doesn't feel like he really had much support or ties to Hollywood at all. Peter Jackson helped get him there a little bit but i think that fell off

i guess we'll see what archon does

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Xaris posted:

i'm guessing he probably just ended up getting kind of blacklisted for awhile because they didn't sell very well or something

He was signed up to do an Aliens movie. But then Ridley Scott wanted up to do Prometheus, and Blomkamp's Aliens movie got put on the back burner, and then Ridley Scott wanted to do Aliens: Origins, and Blomkamp's Aliens movie got postponed for infinity.

So I'm guessing that he passed up opportunities to do other stuff because he didn't want to be tied up when the studio said it was time for him to make his Aliens movie, and by the time he realized that it was never going to happen it had been like ten years since District 9 and he probably had a lot less opportunities.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

*a man stares with a look of complete bewilderment at a copy of Bright, his temple drenched with sweat*

"...it has Will Smith in it, and yet, it has orcs..."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Victory Position posted:

*a man stares with a look of complete bewilderment at a copy of Bright, his temple drenched with sweat*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL2yG3bgIgg

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

*me, in the discord, pointing to T-man's posts* "your scanners don't pick them up but they have support structures here, here, and here"

my posts are the one good thing in the desert... of the real... the matrix

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

scary ghost dog posted:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Victory Position posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

jordan peterson will at least be able to carry on a conversation about pop culture from the 90s he liked

you want to be in a room with the farts from an all-meat diet?