Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
If going with Troll woman, than:
This one.
Mostly 'cause I used the other one for my street sam (claws build).

E:apropos of nothing - anyone played both unarmed adept and a melee one, can make a comparison?

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I haven't played both, but playing unarmed was truly enjoyable.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

No preference on name, and I know this is probably a losing battle at this point, but Male Troll because a) he's purdy, and b) we've already had two female protagonists in these playthroughs...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this game (and this game only), there's swords that shoot lightning so you can do melee/ranged dealios. same deal w/ monowire whips which are only in this game iirc

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i change my vote to vote for shin black as full name

nobody actually in korea in actual life would name their kid this but it is a properly outrageous hong kong name, like some of the ones we will see in heoi

and thats as spoilery as saying that hong kong is on the coast, they have those outrageous names in real life right now

i am a comedic genius and this was totally on purpose

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Instant ramen protagonist is the gooniest name

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I will just pop in to point out that we are not locked in to using Black as a surname (as dobbs also pointed out). For spoilers that come up two minutes into the game (lemme know if you want me to delete this, Kanfy), Duncan did not change his surname to Black, meaning that it is entirely possible for us to keep our pre-adoptive surname.

So with that in mind, I'm going to vote:

Taizhen "Taz" Hart, female dwarf cyber-adept.

I'm also a bit glad that the four portraits in the runoff are ones in the "new" style - as readers may have already guessed, there has been a bit of a shift in portrait style in Hong Kong compared to Dragonfall and especially compared to DMS. It'll definitely make whatever Taz we end up with integrate into the game well.

All this being said,

Xun posted:

:emptyquote:

Prettyboy troll Shin Black would be p. great too.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

I vote for a troll.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
I'll back a female troll with this portrait and Shin Black as a name as well. I had always done elves since I liked my Decker w/charisma builds, so seeing a troll wreck everything would be a good change of pace.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

habeasdorkus posted:

I haven't played both, but playing unarmed was truly enjoyable.

Partially cybered unarmed adept is dope

kung fu with claws, bruv

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Xun posted:

My rapper name is "Shrimp Flavor!"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its the best instant ramen thats ramen, not laksa

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Voting Male Troll, Shin Black, he'll gut your noodles in an instant.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Changing name from Taz to Shin Black, still voting for female troll.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

its the best instant ramen thats ramen, not laksa

I happen to think local HK brand 出前一丁 (also relevant to the setting locale) is better, but assuming either survived to the Sixth World, they’d probably be part of some Japanocorp’s instant food subsidiary (the local HK brand doubly so since they’re already owned by Nissin, which is a Japanese company and likely part of one Japanocorp or another).

But yeah, count me on the Shin Black :bandwagon:. Let’s go with a Male Troll.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 11, 2021

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
Kanfy, you are a glorious madman and I've been eagerly anticipating your take on a game I absolutely love. That said, my votes are for Shin Black the Female Troll Phys adept.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ling Black, with this portrait.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm changing my name vote to Shin Black now. Ling Black is a nicer name, but this is just so... apropos.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 10, 2020

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Ooh it's still on, I like it. We'll call it later today when I have more time, 'til then here's an in-game comparison of the default looks for anyone still on the fence. As you can see there's unfortunately no way to perfectly match the hair, but I'll look through the other options too.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gun Jam posted:

E:apropos of nothing - anyone played both unarmed adept and a melee one, can make a comparison?

Unarmed adept is all about making sure that your buffs are up at ALL times. I mean, so is melee, but swords remove some of the stress of having to focus on things like Killing Hands staying active/relevant. They both do comparable amounts of murder, but the unarmed is much more focused on making sure all your chi skills are as high-grade as possible (like a mage with spells would be) whereas melee just far more cares about having the sharpest sword.

Attack-wise, unarmed is a little closer to Glory in the last game, mostly focused on flushing cover, AP damage, and a lot of quick, small attacks, whereas melee focuses on bigger blows, critical hits and things like bleed damage.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm inspired to try a Physical Adept in this game now (I never finished it). Anyone have starting build suggestions? You can PM me.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Unarmed adept is all about making sure that your buffs are up at ALL times. I mean, so is melee, but swords remove some of the stress of having to focus on things like Killing Hands staying active/relevant. They both do comparable amounts of murder, but the unarmed is much more focused on making sure all your chi skills are as high-grade as possible (like a mage with spells would be) whereas melee just far more cares about having the sharpest sword.

Attack-wise, unarmed is a little closer to Glory in the last game, mostly focused on flushing cover, AP damage, and a lot of quick, small attacks, whereas melee focuses on bigger blows, critical hits and things like bleed damage.

Out of curiosity, do you (or someone else) happen to know what in concrete terms is the Close Combat Defense Bonus ("defense bonus to non-magical ranged attacks made at close range") you get from having enough Close Combat skill? Glory had it and everyone always seems to agree that it's good, but I never paid enough attention to figure out what form the "defense bonus" takes or if "close range" means right next to the shooter or just within x tiles of them. My assumption is that it's an evasion bonus against shots from enemies next to you, but I've never confirmed it.

Also we'll call the vote some 2 hours from now or so.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 10, 2020

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kanfy posted:

Out of curiosity, do you (or someone else) happen to know what in concrete terms is the Close Combat Defense Bonus ("defense bonus to non-magical ranged attacks made at close range") you get from having enough Close Combat skill? Glory had it and everyone always seems to agree that it's good, but I never paid enough attention to figure out what form the "defense bonus" takes or if "close range" means right next to the shooter or just within x tiles of them. My assumption is that it's an evasion bonus against shots from enemies next to you, but I've never confirmed it.

When SRR mentions "Defense", they always mean evasion (damage reduction comes in the form of Armor bonuses), but I'm not sure what "close range" entails in this case. I would assume it's two or three squares away, but likewise, I have no confirmation on the exact mechanics or numbers.

EDIT: Thumbing through tabletop sourcebooks, it seems that (at least in 5th edition), Close Quarters Defense is an extra die to your defense rolls against ranged attacks when you're in close combat, which means it doesn't matter how far away your attacker is, just that you're in hand-to-hand with somebody, not necessarily the attacker. A skilled melee fighter has to know how to use his opponents as meat shields, after all. I don't know how closely that got adapted to SRR, though.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 10, 2020

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

When SRR mentions "Defense", they always mean evasion (damage reduction comes in the form of Armor bonuses), but I'm not sure what "close range" entails in this case. I would assume it's two or three squares away, but likewise, I have no confirmation on the exact mechanics or numbers.

EDIT: Thumbing through tabletop sourcebooks, it seems that (at least in 5th edition), Close Quarters Defense is an extra die to your defense rolls against ranged attacks when you're in close combat, which means it doesn't matter how far away your attacker is, just that you're in hand-to-hand with somebody, not necessarily the attacker. A skilled melee fighter has to know how to use his opponents as meat shields, after all. I don't know how closely that got adapted to SRR, though.

Yeah, if it didn't appear to be a buff exclusive to friendlies it'd be easy enough to test against 6 CC enemies, or if it was an ability it'd be in the ability files, but as it is I haven't found an easy way to figure out the exact values. For all I know it doesn't do anything, like Adepts' Magic Resistance or Shamans' Mana Charge. Hard to know for sure with these games sometimes.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm voting for Male Troll, and I'd like to note that while I'm voting for Troll, this portrait should have been up for voting regardless.

You can pretend the bandanna is covering up some horns.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I'm voting for Male Troll, and I'd like to note that while I'm voting for Troll, this portrait should have been up for voting regardless.

Unsurprisingly this is a backer portrait. So let's take a brief moment to give proper credit to Bandit Keith "Liam Allman" for this blessing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Who you vote for doesn't matter now, because our lucky winner receiving a fully paid-for trip to Hong Kong will be the female troll Physical Adept, Shin "Taz" Black from Seattle! Congratulations!

She seems thrilled about the opportunity, as if already seeing in the distance a glimpse of all the exciting new sights and experiences waiting for her in the Free Enterprise Zone.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Kanfy posted:

our lucky winner receiving a fully paid-for trip to Hong Kong will be the female troll Physical Adept, Shin "Taz" Black from Seattle! Congratulations!*

*Ticket is one way only, expenses are not included, enjoyable vacation not guaranteed, make your own accommodations, watch out for hostile groups including but not limited to: megacorps, gangsters, awakened beasts, non awakened beasts, tourists.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

bewilderment posted:

AMERICA-SAN!

gently caress that is such a good story

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

By popular demand posted:

*Ticket is one way only, expenses are not included, enjoyable vacation not guaranteed, make your own accommodations, watch out for hostile groups including but not limited to: megacorps, gangsters, awakened beasts, non awakened beasts, tourists.

I'm excited to see if she can actually survive through the opening without our first game over. I don't think we literally ever had one in Dragonfall, but a late-bloomer Adept with paper starting armor in a world of AP-unshackled enemies where even a guy with the crappiest shotgun in the game can pump out 20+ damage a turn her way is gonna have a fun time before she starts having much hope of living up to her street name.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Kanfy posted:

I'm excited to see if she can actually survive through the opening without our first game over. I don't think we literally ever had one in Dragonfall, but a late-bloomer Adept with paper starting armor in a world of AP-unshackled enemies where even a guy with the crappiest shotgun in the game can pump out 20+ damage a turn her way is gonna have a fun time before she starts having much hope of living up to her street name.

I did wonder why I kept getting killed in the first few fights and always assumed I had somehow screwed up my build.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nah theyre just balls hard

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

nah theyre just balls hard

Shadowrun: Hong Kong makes you earn your street cred, yeah.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Kanfy posted:

I never had a Game Over in Dragonfall or Shadowrun, but managed to get one in the very first fight of Hong Kong (IIRC, there's even an achievement for it). This game does not give you kid gloves.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

True. But this is also the game you can really break wide open the easiest.

Hell, even the options that don't "break" the balance feel great in terms of fun \ dickishness towards enemies.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

I never had a Game Over in Dragonfall or Shadowrun, but managed to get one in the very first fight of Hong Kong (IIRC, there's even an achievement for it). This game does not give you kid gloves.

I don't consider it a spoiler that yeah, there is indeed an achievement for dying in the opening mission. Relatively common too, especially since a lot of people reload as soon as the first Trauma Kit pops.

I don't have it yet, but I've also only ever played with the normal AI that can't shoot twice per turn outside of major bosses so that could well change soon.

AceOfFlames posted:

I did wonder why I kept getting killed in the first few fights and always assumed I had somehow screwed up my build.

As a lil' trick from ol' Kanfy for any other aspiring Adepts having trouble getting started, picking the custom archetype with at least 2 Conjuring gives you the Haste I spell which is very easy to put to good use while you're stuck cowering behind crates.

In general this LP is definitely not going to be a guide to min-maxing Adepts using every trick in the book, but there's definitely some good replayability there if you're trying to find the most nonsense things different archetypes can achieve.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kanfy posted:

Ooh it's still on, I like it. We'll call it later today when I have more time, 'til then here's an in-game comparison of the default looks for anyone still on the fence. As you can see there's unfortunately no way to perfectly match the hair, but I'll look through the other options too.

Okay, I’ll admit, the green hair model looks better, too. More than happy with this outcome.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Kanfy posted:

As a lil' trick from ol' Kanfy for any other aspiring Adepts having trouble getting started, picking the custom archetype with at least 2 Conjuring gives you the Haste I spell which is very easy to put to good use while you're stuck cowering behind crates.

This plus hand razors is an amazing out the door combo... but no killing hands on cyberweapons I think ☹

And heck yes green hair!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Okay, I’ll admit, the green hair model looks better, too. More than happy with this outcome.

We've had enough voting already and you've always struck me as something of a horn connoisseur, so I'll give you a chance to decide which of these three horn styles that are closest to the portrait we're gonna go with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yay for racial gestalt, and being something different every playthrough, which I try to do... A shame there aren't two more games so we can get an ork and a dwarf, but we can't have everything.

Also yay for a portrait in the new style, for a look I find a little bit more striking than the others... maybe I'm into green hair