Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Have you ever read the gnostic gospel of Botha?

Many bothans died to bring us this message...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cocaine Bear posted:

JUST MAKE A loving BIBLE THREAD AND gently caress OFF

This is a Christian server. No cussing.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Kennel posted:

Who is this God Person Anyway?
Oolon Colluphid was ahead of the curve.
If she dies from it we can say that Rudi gassed her in public.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I'm a Bruthian Reform Omnian

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kennel posted:

You could have said that the bears mauled dozens of boys or about forty of them, but it was important to mark down that there were exactly 42.

30-50 jeering youths that run up to my prophet

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Uh has anyone noticed that Jesus's prevention rate is garbage compared to basic ppe?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
what possible qualification does Bootlicklick have to be ambassador to China?

I thought libs were supposed to love qualifications.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

spacemang_spliff posted:

uh it would be really great for his career as a failing upward star of the Democrat Party

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Eifert Posting posted:

Uh has anyone noticed that Jesus's prevention rate is garbage compared to basic ppe?
But Jesus saves the people who deserve it--wait, I better get more ppe

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

30-50 jeering youths that run up to my prophet

an early example of the importance of the right to bear arms

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

spacemang_spliff posted:

he’s cia, duh

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Epic High Five posted:

an early example of the importance of the right to bear arms

:golfclap:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

1 Samuel 18:27 posted:

David took his men with him and went out and killed two hundred Philistines and brought back their foreskins. They counted out the full number to the king so that David might become the king's son-in-law. Then Saul gave him his daughter Michal in marriage.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1336427393272176647?s=19

:barf:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think the most C-spam christianity would be Bogomilism. The Bogomils believed that the world and all material things were created by Satan so the less you interact with the world the better.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

christmas boots posted:

When the spirit of the lord is inside of you, all threads are Bible threads. Now if you'll excuse me I need to spread the hope of the gospel to those ignorant heathens in Coupons and Deals.

Did you know you can usually get a free bible with any night hotel stay?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
"Teach a man to make fire, he's warm for a day
Set a man on fire, he's warm the rest of his life"

Jesus

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think the most C-spam christianity would be Bogomilism. The Bogomils believed that the world and all material things were created by Satan so the less you interact with the world the better.
Carpocratians, who were Gnostics that thought you could only leave the false material world by speedrunning all the possible things you could do in it, i.e. all the fun stuff:
"Carpocratians derived from a native of Asia, Carpocrates, who taught his followers to perform every obscenity and every sinful act. And unless one proceeds through all of them, he said, and fulfils the will of all demons and angels, he cannot mount to the highest heaven or get by the principalities and authorities."

edit: oh also who were those dudes that would just ambush people in the road and beat them up with clubs (not drawing any blood, technically ok) until they got murdered so that they could be martyrs and go to heaven? those idiots are super cspam too

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

sounds like zen nonsense

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Epic High Five posted:

I feel like we all know the early Christians were basically a communist cult, but are there any books that have been written on the subject? It sound fascinating

also this is a pretty lol derail for even the most derailed thread on these here forums, I'm proud of you all for not giving up the crown to the post-election Trump thread

Tolstoy's story "Walk in the light" basically points out how early Christians were all communists and Romans were lovely assholes. In Rome shortly after Christ's death and follows a Roman patrician whose life turns to poo poo because he's a greedy dick.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I hate how this makes me sound like a hipster but Christianity was cool before it sold out and became mainstream

Like as soon as the emperor said it was cool it started going downhill

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
also like most hipster poo poo it’s mostly made up nonsense

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

BiggerBoat posted:

Blind squirrel, etc.

Yes, "we" will say that. Idiots.

God loving dammit these people.

"Hey, there's a sign up near the beach warning about several shark sightings. Several people have already been bitten and it looks pretty bad. Maybe don't swim today"

"gently caress that. gently caress you! Sharks aren't real. They just don't want us to swim! My family and friends are here for a patriotic 4th of July BBQ at the beach to celebrate freedom. You can't tell me what to do!"

*Gets attacked by sharks*

"Hmmm....anyone think it's weird that only those drunken belligerent rednecks in the U.S.A. bathing suits got eaten by sharks?"

same energy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

christmas boots posted:

I hate how this makes me sound like a hipster but Christianity was cool before it sold out and became mainstream

Like as soon as the emperor said it was cool it started going downhill

it started going downhill as soon as Saul developed schizophrenia

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

indigi posted:

it started going downhill as soon as Saul developed schizophrenia

Saul was basically the nosy old woman who constantly writes letters to the editor but for every major church in the region and tbh I kinda respect that energy

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/stevesilberman/status/1336815411954819074

quote:

Then there were the patients who didn’t even believe the coronavirus was real. That week, a patient in his 40s came in for a physical — he was high-risk and asthmatic — and his gaiter pushed down when she walked into the exam room. He said he couldn’t breathe in it and didn’t believe the whole pandemic thing anyway. People were dying from pneumonia because they were being forced to wear masks, he told her.

“The next thing you’re going to be calling me to come in and take the vaccine, and I’m telling you right now I’m not going to get it,” he told her.

this idiot's still alive but hopefully not for long.

on the plus side, there are plenty of other dead chuds in that article.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It'd be worth cheering over if innocent bystanders weren't getting hosed over by the morons too.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

i saw that photo and i thought that woman was crying because she lost a loved one to covid, then i read the caption and it turns out she's upset about having to wear a mask.

anyway these people are too dumb to live and it's a miracle that they all didn't drown in a rainstorm years ago.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Article's behind a paywall, can anyone post the text?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sick of Applebees posted:

Article's behind a paywall, can anyone post the text?

quote:

MITCHELL, S.D. — A cold wind whipped through the prairie as they laid Buck Timmins to rest.

Timmins, a longtime coach and referee, was not the first person in Mitchell, S.D., pop. 15,600, to die of the coronavirus. He was not even the first that week.

As the funeral director tucked blankets over the knees of Timmins’s wife, Nanci, Pastor Rhonda Wellsandt-Zell told the small group of masked mourners that just as there had been seasons in the coach’s life — basketball season, football season, volleyball season — Mitchell was now enduring a phase of its own.

Pandemic season.

In a state where the Republican governor, Kristi L. Noem, has defied calls for a statewide mask mandate even as cases hit record levels, many in this rural community an hour west of Sioux Falls ignored the virus for months, not bothering with masks or social distancing. Restaurants were packed. Big weddings and funerals went on as planned.

Then people started dying. The wife of the former bank president. A state legislator. The guy whose family has owned the bike shop since 1959. Then Timmins, a mild-spoken 72-year-old who had worked with hundreds of local kids during six decades as a Little League and high school coach and referee.

His death shook Mitchell just as its leaders were contemplating something previously denounced and dismissed: a requirement that its staunchly conservative residents wear masks.

As Wellsandt-Zell led those mourning Timmins in the hymn “Jesus Loves Me,” the rumble of an approaching helicopter cut through the sound of the singing and the mourners’ soft tears. In Mitchell, the medical emergency helicopter, once a rare occurrence, now comes nearly every day, ferrying the growing number of people desperately ill with covid-19 to a hospital that might be able to save them.

Sirens echoing through the empty streets of New York marked the pandemic’s first phase. Swirling blades of helicopters on the American plains is the soundtrack of a deadly fall.

Oh, my God, here we go again, Wellsandt-Zell thought. Another one.

News of Buck Timmins’s death spread quickly through town just hours before the first vote.

Kevin McCardle, the city council president, heard the news in a text from a fellow referee and was shocked. He had not even known Timmins was sick. How could he be dead when McCardle had seen him filling up his tank at the gas station just a few days ago?

Timmins fell ill with the virus Oct. 24, his wife said. She was pretty sure he picked it up at one of the many games he went to, where people were casual about wearing masks.

“You may need a mask to get in the door, but once you were inside, you looked around and there were 300 people in the seats watching volleyball, pretty much going maskless,” she said. “Mitchell, South Dakota, is a small town. We trusted each other.”

Nanci had stitched Buck a mask out of quilt scraps — in the most manly pattern she could find, brown with little yellow flowers — but she wasn’t sure if he always wore it when he was out of her sight.

They both became ill at the same time, but Nanci had a mild case. Buck seemed okay, too, until about a week in, when he became weaker and weaker and didn’t want to eat or drink, or leave his old brown leather recliner. She plied him with all the flavors of Gatorade, Smartwater and Ensure she could find, but he drank very little. Because Buck was not having trouble breathing and the hospital had patients who were far sicker, he stayed at home. Nanci, a retired X-ray technologist, administered his oxygen and insulin treatments.

That morning, Nov. 16, Buck woke after a restless night and called out for his wife. He mumbled something — she thought he said, “I love you” — so she wrapped her arms around his head and said, “I love you, too!” Just after noon, he was gone. They had planned on taking an Alaskan cruise together next year, but now she was alone, 10 days before Thanksgiving with a stack of bills on the table she wasn’t sure how to pay.

“It’s just — not there,” she said. “So much life left, and then it’s just not there.”

Three hours later, McCardle walked into the Corn Palace, the city’s civic center and auditorium, with Buck Timmins’s death heavy on his mind. Timmins had coached in his Little League. They had refereed high school sports together. Now his eyes rested briefly on the spot in the bleachers behind the visitor’s bench where Timmins, in his role as state coordinator for high school refs, always sat during games.

McCardle had a yellow legal pad under his arm with his daily tally of coronavirus cases in Davison County since March. The growth he had been so carefully recording had exploded in recent weeks, with 359 cases Oct. 1 to 1,912 that morning, a 433 percent increase. Locally, 10 people had died in less than seven weeks. South Dakota now has the largest increase in deaths per capita in the nation, according to Washington Post data from Dec. 8.

The positivity rate at two local testing sites — a key indicator of the virus’s hold on a community — was 33 percent at the beginning of November and would soar to 49 percent near the end of the month, according to Avera Queen of Peace Hospital in Mitchell.

Queen of Peace, which only has eight ICU beds, became overwhelmed and sometimes had to turn patients away, opening up a second covid-19 wing Nov. 8 that filled quickly. Doctors warned of a 50 to 100 percent increase in hospitalizations in the weeks to come. “GOD BE WITH US,” the pandemic-inspired sign outside a feed store read.

McCardle said he found the numbers as alarming as the public health officials did. He is a 57-year-old camper salesman whose biggest worry as council president before the coronavirus was cleaning up algae in the town lake. But when Susan Tjarks, the lone female member on the council, had raised the idea of a mask mandate a month earlier, he had ridiculed her for wearing one and grumbled: “You don’t see the grocery stores putting mandatory masks in. Nobody would go to ‘em. They’d lose business.”

But now McCardle and others on the council, rattled by Timmins’s death, listened attentively to Tjarks’s proposal, sitting at socially spaced tables on the auditorium’s basketball court in front of murals depicting their hardy pioneer ancestors. The draft ordinance would require masks in public buildings and businesses, with a possible fine of up to $500 and 30 days in jail.

Tjarks, who owns a drapery company called Gotcha Covered, is a conservative Republican. But she became convinced the city had to act as deaths began tearing a deep hole in the community’s civic heart.

“What we have been doing isn’t working,” she told the city council. “I don’t want to lose any more friends. I don’t want to lose any more neighbors. We have to do what we need to do to step up and prevent these cases from rising.”

So many town leaders have died in such a short time that the impact has been profound, Tjarks said. Who will fill Timmins’s shoes as a mentor for young referees in the state high school athletic association? Who will raise money for the veteran’s park and the rodeo stampede now that state legislator Lance Carson is gone? There would be smaller absences too: her neighbor, John, now missing from the morning group at the doughnut shop.

Throughout the autumn, towns all over the Midwest in conservative states where Republican governors have avoided mask mandates have tried to pass their own restrictions, often prompting virulent community debate. The town of Huron, S.D., just up the road passed one, as did Washington, Mo. In Muskogee, Okla., the city council finally passed a mandate after several tries; one of its pro-mask members had even wheeled in a casket as a prop.

During the public comment section in Mitchell, a handful of anti-maskers spoke, alleging that masks don’t work and that the measure was an overreach that would violate their civil rights. Local doctors and nurses overrun by covid-19 patients pleaded for help.

“Every single day, I come to work and have more and more positive covids,” said Diane Kenkel, a nurse practitioner who runs a small independent health clinic in town. “The stress on the hospital is very real. It’s really scary as a provider to come to work and have very ill people and know there might not be a hospital bed for you.”

Ultimately, the Mitchell City Council passed the draft measure unanimously Nov. 16. But Mayor Bob Everson — one of the mask-doubters — still had to issue an executive order to put it in place. And the draft had to survive what was expected to be contentious public hearing and final vote the following week.

‘There’s hope’

The following day was a bad one, the worst so far in the pandemic, at Kenkel’s small health-care practice located in a low-slung brown brick building just a block from the Corn Palace.

After her last patient of the day, Kenkel, 62, had hung up her only blue protective gown, tucked the N95 mask that she has been using since March in a paper bag, sat down at her desk and took a sip of the cold coffee she had been trying to finish since morning. Her poodle, Junie B., a registered therapy dog, curled up in a sheepskin bed alongside her.

Kenkel was barely out of the shower that morning when one of her longtime patients — a young mother of four — texted to say her coronavirus symptoms had worsened and she was having trouble breathing. What should she do?

With symptoms that acute, Kenkel would have normally sent the woman to the hospital. But there were no beds available, so she had to arrange to send oxygen to the woman’s home. Avera — the hospital system that runs Queen of Peace — expanded its home health-care program to include covid-19 patients this summer and now 1,400 people across the system, some who would normally be treated in a hospital, are being treated at home.

Like the young mother. And then the firefighter with whom Kenkel had a Zoom call after that, who — unbelievably but truly — was suffering through his second coronavirus infection. He was sicker than she had ever seen him, Kenkel said. He had so far resisted going to the emergency room, because he was afraid he was going to die.

It was the week that the pandemic became personal. Four friends, including Timmins, had died. Her younger patients were suddenly becoming acutely ill when they had not been before. She had known the young mother since before she had her babies. She knew the firefighter because he had worked with her husband, Kevin, the town’s library director, on the local jazz fest.

She was exhausted. Exhausted from having to come home, shower immediately, cook dinner while wearing a mask, then sleep separately from her husband. Exhausted from not being able to touch or hug her patients, or hold their hands while she prayed for them.

It felt like she was living in an alternative universe these days, where seriously ill covid-19 patients overwhelmed the hospital and her clinic and neighbors were dying as folks were living their lives, eating out in restaurants, drinking in bars and attending weddings, funerals and the Pheasants Forever fundraising banquet.

Then there were the patients who didn’t even believe the coronavirus was real. That week, a patient in his 40s came in for a physical — he was high-risk and asthmatic — and his gaiter pushed down when she walked into the exam room. He said he couldn’t breathe in it and didn’t believe the whole pandemic thing anyway. People were dying from pneumonia because they were being forced to wear masks, he told her.

“The next thing you’re going to be calling me to come in and take the vaccine, and I’m telling you right now I’m not going to get it,” he told her.

Kenkel told him calmly that the research he was reading was flawed. She didn’t raise her voice but later questioned herself — why she had felt the need to sway somebody’s opinion in the exam room?

“To have people say it’s not real, that’s just unbelievable,” she said. “Well, they haven’t seen what I’ve seen. So maybe it is unbelievable. They just want to believe it’s not true.”

At her desk, she opened her email. First, there was a note from a statistician with an update on the virus’s spread — a color-coded map of South Dakota that showed active cases skyrocketing in many counties. Then, the good news, an email from her husband saying the mayor had issued an emergency order for masks that would stand until the final vote in a week.

“So that’s making my day better,” Kenkel said, her eyes filling with tears. “There’s hope.”

‘Ladies and gentlemen, the virus is real'

Staff and students have been wearing masks since the school board passed its own mandate in July, which has allowed them to keep schools open for in-person learning for all 4,000 students. And they seemed to be working: A high school science teacher did an analysis that showed the infection rate was about 3.8 percent at the schools compared with 10 percent in Davison County as a whole.

Nonetheless, a vocal group of anti-maskers continued to protest that decision even though the district has no intention of changing its mind. That led to a viral video in September showing a burly man refusing to leave the meeting after being asked to put on a mask. “Force me out!” he taunts the officers who came to lead him away, while a woman films the scene and screams, “This is an embarrassment!” The man, Reed Bender, a local sewer and drain technician, was later charged with obstructing police. Bender declined to comment.

Mitchell Schools Superintendent Joe Graves said the schools were considering moving their board meetings online to avoid such scenes going forward.

“We don’t want this to become an open wound in the long term,” he said, or “an ongoing scar.”

The current council debate had re-energized the anti-maskers, and they pelted city officials with calls and emails running 2 to 1 against, exhorting members of its closed Facebook group to come to the meeting to protest.

The night of the final vote, a cold, clear evening in the 30s, more than 100 people gathered at the Corn Palace, sitting spaced out in the venue’s faded blue folding seats. The “World’s Only Corn Palace” and its whimsical domes had showcased the town’s agricultural bounty and brought tourists to town since 1892, and seen Mitchell through fires, floods and the blizzards of 1949 and 1966. Now, men and women stood ready to debate for hours over the utility of a 4-by-7-inch piece of cloth during the worst public health crisis the town had seen in a century.

Thirteen deaths from covid-19 were reported in Davison County during the week between votes.

The anti-mask forces sat with naked faces, defying the mayor’s order. One by one, they got up to air their grievances. They wept. They swore. They cited junk science: Positivity defeats the virus. So does a healthy lifestyle, eating wild-caught sardines, pasture-raised beef liver and drinking raw organic kombucha. A young mother stood up and compared anti-maskers to Jews persecuted in the Holocaust: “The bare face is the new yellow star of Nazi Germany,” she said.

Mack Miller, 33, a member of the Army National Guard who did two tours overseas, got up to say he had sacrificed his family life to serve and protect the country’s freedoms.

“Wear a mask if you want to; that is your right,” he said. “Choice is what makes America, America. Our own voice, our own choice, our own freedoms.”

As the evening wore on, members of the beleaguered medical community could not hide their distress.

“I cannot even remember how many death certificates I have signed in the last few days,” Buck Timmins’s doctor, Lucio N. Margallo II, told the crowd. In fact, he had lost eight people in the last week.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the virus is real. It’s not a fantasy. It’s deadly, and it’s surging out of control. Scared? Yes I’m scared. … I’m scared for everybody and scared for myself.”

Kenkel got up to speak following one anti-masker who seemed to be in the throes of a respiratory infection.

“I’m scared to stand right here because of the people coughing and hacking,” she said, before pleading: “Please stand firm. We’re dependent on you guys. Amen.”

After the public comment period was over, the council immediately got busy stripping the mandate of its penalties. They removed the city’s fine, leaving only the court costs of about $90, should it come to that. They were opting for a “soft approach,” the mayor said, to “educate” people.

“We’re putting together an ordinance that has no teeth!” McCardle, the council president, protested. He had spent the week agonizing over his decision. One day he was for it, the next day he was against. He would miss his friend Buck Timmins at all the games, but he was also moved by the soldier. Miller had served to protect our country’s freedoms — how could McCardle vote to take them away?

But in the end, McCardle couldn’t even bring himself to vote for the toothless mandate, which passed 5 to 3.

The resulting decision — “chickens---,” Miller deemed it — made few on either side happy. The town was divided as ever, and people of Mitchell still had to wake up the next morning and face each other at the grocery store, church and the local sushi restaurant.

By the end of the night, mostly anti-maskers remained in the auditorium. Kenkel had ducked out just after she spoke, going home to write up 18 patient charts before bed, including six patients seriously ill with covid-19. She was long gone by the time one city councilman hopefully suggested that maybe they wouldn’t have any mask citations after all this, and the mayor pointed at the crowd and said, “Did you listen to these people?” and they all laughed.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Mr Interweb posted:

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1332459320768917507?s=20

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
Those nurses and doctors need to just gtfo of that town my god

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

uber_stoat posted:

i saw that photo and i thought that woman was crying because she lost a loved one to covid, then i read the caption and it turns out she's upset about having to wear a mask.

anyway these people are too dumb to live and it's a miracle that they all didn't drown in a rainstorm years ago.

a mask mandate that has basically no penalties and she's crying over it. lol

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

uber_stoat posted:

There's a semi-obscure sci-fi comedy series called Avenue 5 that came out almost a year ago. And there's one scene from it that has come to my mind over and over and over since the pandemic started.

The setup: there's a futuristic cruise liner making a trip around Saturn and back, but things have gone horribly wrong. And lately, a rumor has gotten around among the passengers that they aren't even in space at all, that it's all just a trick for some kind of reality show. And so things come to a head near the main airlock...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXaeucDYHo

I would have rolled my eyes at this scene if I hadn't seen it just as everything was blowing up in real life and so many people kept insisting upon being as stupid as was humanly possible.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Just a side note: Mitchell is the 6th largest city in south dakota

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

There's a semi-obscure sci-fi comedy series called Avenue 5 that came out almost a year ago. And there's one scene from it that has come to my mind over and over and over since the pandemic started.

The setup: there's a futuristic cruise liner making a trip around Saturn and back, but things have gone horribly wrong. And lately, a rumor has gotten around among the passengers that they aren't even in space at all, that it's all just a trick for some kind of reality show. And so things come to a head near the main airlock...

I would have rolled my eyes at this scene if I hadn't seen it just as everything was blowing up in real life and so many people kept insisting upon being as stupid as was humanly possible.

i was wondering who the captain was, and it turned out to be House, ha.

to quote someone in the comments "this show was weeks ahead of its time"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mr Interweb posted:

i was wondering who the captain was, and it turned out to be House, ha.

:eng101: Sort of!

Hugh Laurie's character is an actor who was hired to playact as Captain for the tourists. At the start of the show, the one person aboard who actually knew what the gently caress he was doing was killed, leaving House unexpectedly kind-of in charge for real.

e: The entire show is all right, some laughs here and there. But I mostly remember this one scene, which so beautifully encapsulates how America would react to the virus.

Powered Descent has issued a correction as of 04:51 on Dec 10, 2020

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

The problem is that there is a real reckoning on the horizon for places like this.

Climate Change is going to gently caress up crop yields and even make water scarce in small towns across the plains. Covid is already destroying these communities, and the avalanche of bills and debt coming their way is going to crush them. And as more farming moves into the hands of massive businesses, more people are going to be forced out, more of these small towns are going to die out, and the cycle will continue to get worse.

It's already happening. Covid only really sped up the process, but Rural America is dying. And it's going to affect everything from food supply to elections, and there is no good end to it. No matter what road you go down, it ends in dead towns and crushed dreams, futures never pursued because you're stuck in the cycle.

A part of me says 'gently caress em' because they are a hefty part of the reason they are dying in the first place. Another worries about my family, who is still there and doing what they can to keep safe.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Those nurses and doctors need to just gtfo of that town my god

in my professional life as a computers doctor, i've run across no insignificant number of people whether they be colleagues, customers, friends, family, whatever that will doubt, second-guess, and/or outright refuse to entertain whatever my notion to fix their computer/PBX/spreadsheet is. it's infuriating and there have been a few times where i've snapped and quite directly thrown the incredibly petty "and just who the gently caress came to who looking for help on this?" card out there on the table and I just can't fathom the kind of patience and restraint doctors treating doubters possess. it's an entire dimension of patience i simply don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Powered Descent posted:

That show is loving amazing.