Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Outrail posted:

Lol. Imagine putting people in danger for a dead guy's selfies.

It's among the worst mysteries out there. Like maaaaaybe he made it to the summit but almost certainly not, and ultimately it doesn't much matter. But if anyone ever finds that camera they'll be able to sell the photos for the cost of like, at least one Everest expedition!

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

PostNouveau posted:

About 12 minutes in he mentions he's had a traumatic brain injury which is not surprising since he sounds like he's blowing lines of xanax or something.

Edit: Wow they waited so late to tell the locals on their team their plan.
He stroked out in the movie Meru. Good flick btw.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

It's among the worst mysteries out there. Like maaaaaybe he made it to the summit but almost certainly not, and ultimately it doesn't much matter. But if anyone ever finds that camera they'll be able to sell the photos for the cost of like, at least one Everest expedition!

Except they won't, there's no way the film is recoverable anymore, right?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I think Kodak or someone said they have a process ready to go that might be able to.

No guarantees though

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
It’s been sitting in very cold environment, at least.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ante posted:

I think Kodak or someone said they have a process ready to go that might be able to.

No guarantees though

Someone needs to insert the goatman in there somehow.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

PittTheElder posted:

It extra doesn't matter because mountaineering very intentionally doesn't count "got to the summit and died on the way down" as a successful summit, because if not there'd be even more "first left handed texan with a speech impediment to summit everest in june with their shoelaces untied" idiots deciding that even if they die up there, they'll go down in history. Even if they found his body and the camera was intact, the film was developable, and it somehow had shots that were incontrovertibly taken from the summit, the first folks to summit Everest will still be Norgay and Hillary because they got back down the mountain alive.

That said, I really do think that they either reached the summit or at least thought they did, but they took way too long doing it and died trying to descend in the dark. That still catches a ton of people even today despite well known timetables and guides screaming in their ears/radios that they need to turn around. It's all too easy to imagine them seeing that final part of the climb, the one that makes the summit look so deceptively close, and deciding that it's just a little further, and there's no way they're turning back that close to their goal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have a feeling that if they find the camera one day and it shows that they made it to the summit, it will still be a big deal considering they would have made it to the top in 1924 and the first successful summit wasn't until 1953.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I have a feeling that if they find the camera one day and it shows that they made it to the summit, it will still be a big deal considering they would have made it to the top in 1924 and the first successful summit wasn't until 1953.

oh, it'd be a big deal, i have no doubt about that. if there's clues about what exactly happened to them, that would be utterly fascinating and i don't doubt it'd be front page news

it just won't give them the first successful summit/ascent/whatever of everest even if they were the first people to actually stand on the summit

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Azathoth posted:

It extra doesn't matter because mountaineering very intentionally doesn't count "got to the summit and died on the way down" as a successful summit, because if not there'd be even more "first left handed texan with a speech impediment to summit everest in june with their shoelaces untied" idiots deciding that even if they die up there, they'll go down in history. Even if they found his body and the camera was intact, the film was developable, and it somehow had shots that were incontrovertibly taken from the summit, the first folks to summit Everest will still be Norgay and Hillary because they got back down the mountain alive.

That said, I really do think that they either reached the summit or at least thought they did, but they took way too long doing it and died trying to descend in the dark. That still catches a ton of people even today despite well known timetables and guides screaming in their ears/radios that they need to turn around. It's all too easy to imagine them seeing that final part of the climb, the one that makes the summit look so deceptively close, and deciding that it's just a little further, and there's no way they're turning back that close to their goal.

There's no way Mallory and Irvine summited. The second step on the north side has been graded as 5.10 climbing without the Chinese ladder on it - that means it would be one of the hardest rock climbs ever climbed in the world as of 1924 (certainly FAR harder rock than anything Mallory or Irvine had ever done previously in their lives) done at 8,600 meters of altitude, with snow and weather and carrying packs of the lovely heavy gear they had at the time. There's absolutely no way they climbed the second step.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

It's mostly because not many people were trying. There were only three expeditions with the summit as the goal in the interim (British '33, '36, '38), with the latter two not making it higher than the North Col because they got unlucky with the weather. The Swiss (feat. Tenzing Norgay) got close in '52, but was the first attempt from the newly opened southern route and never really intended to summit, though they did much better than expected and wound up pushing beyond the South Col.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 10, 2020

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
It'll be an ambiguous picture of him chillin' captioned "Its about the journey not the destination man" :rznv:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Conrad Anker climbed the second step without the Chinese ladder in 2010 for a documentary on Mallory and Irvine and believes he could have climbed it. I'm inclined to accept his opinion over any armchair expert.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Azathoth posted:

it just won't give them the first successful summit/ascent/whatever of everest even if they were the first people to actually stand on the summit

Mountain-climbing associations and officials wouldn't give them the summit, but the mainstream media absolutely would, and everyone in the world who doesn't care what mountainclimber associations think would too.

The most rigorous journalists might mention way down in the article that "technically" it doesn't count according to how these records are normally tracked; the vast majority of the press wouldn't even bother to mention that.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I found this after reading the Geographic article:

https://malloryandirvine.com/2020/06/16/comments-on-2019-search/

well worth reading. the tl;dr is that a team had already investigated the area, and also that the ones who found Mallory's body should have checked his pockets for rocks, since that's how they celebrated/marked summiting

basically, the camera is a macguffin

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
is that a good brand?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Crime on a Dime posted:

is that a good brand?

well, everybody's looking for it, but it's not clear why

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

gohuskies posted:

There's no way Mallory and Irvine summited. The second step on the north side has been graded as 5.10 climbing without the Chinese ladder on it - that means it would be one of the hardest rock climbs ever climbed in the world as of 1924 (certainly FAR harder rock than anything Mallory or Irvine had ever done previously in their lives) done at 8,600 meters of altitude, with snow and weather and carrying packs of the lovely heavy gear they had at the time. There's absolutely no way they climbed the second step.

I thought that the Second Step was within their abilities, if at the limit of their capability, not far beyond it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Empty Sandwich posted:

well worth reading. the tl;dr is that a team had already investigated the area, and also that the ones who found Mallory's body should have checked his pockets for rocks, since that's how they celebrated/marked summiting

It’s like a nutshell version of Heinrich Schliemann destroying Priam’s Troy as he dug for the legend.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Empty Sandwich posted:

Suspicious amount of unsuccessful summits floating around SF Bay.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That Mallory and Irvine website also makes a compelling case that they would not have attempted to climb the steps at all, given that a route had been scouted though the couloir below and appeared workable.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

It's like how I have had a layover in Zurich, but I wouldn't say I have actually been to Switzerland. Though technically I have.

Wait, that's a lovely analogy. But I'm gonna throw it out there anyway.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Chappers posted:

It's like how I have had a layover in Zurich, but I wouldn't say I have actually been to Switzerland. Though technically I have.

Wait, that's a lovely analogy. But I'm gonna throw it out there anyway.

I think we can do better.

It's like how you don't get Instagram likes for selfie pics at an expensive restaurant until you've paid your bill.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

But what if I don't want to pay the 150 rupees and my son is waiting for me?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Chappers posted:

But what if I don't want to pay the 150 rupees and my son is waiting for me?

Then you have an opportunity for an exciting vacation video.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

ewe2 posted:

Conrad Anker climbed the second step without the Chinese ladder in 2010 for a documentary on Mallory and Irvine and believes he could have climbed it. I'm inclined to accept his opinion over any armchair expert.

Azathoth posted:

I thought that the Second Step was within their abilities, if at the limit of their capability, not far beyond it.

Conrad said it was 5.10 when he climbed it for that documentary. In 1924, like a dozen people in the entire world had ever led a 5.10 climb (none of them named Mallory or Irvine), and all of them were in comfortable weather, altitude where they could easily breath the air, no snow or ice on the rock or anything, not carrying big packs, not fatigued from thousands of feet of hiking to get up to it. 5.10c was climbed for the very first time just in 1922. 5.10 wasn't climbed in the United States until 1945, to give an idea of how often this was being done at the time. It's completely unrealistic to think that anyone in 1924 would be climbing the 5.10 grade at 8600 meters on Everest. If Mallory and Irvine couldn't climb it at sea level, you really think they could at exhausted at 8600 meters? Please. Conrad probably said that because he was paid to be there, looking for the bodies and camera to prove if they did it or not, and he wasn't supposed to poo poo all over the mystery of if they sent or not since that kind of makes for a lamer documentary that's harder to sell. It's obvious that they didn't.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 12, 2020

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I see that climbing stat parroted back a lot, and it seems off, but I haven't said anything, because I haven't spent the time to fact check it.

But here, I'll say it: That's either entirely bullshit, or only technically correct

I'm a climber, and have taught many friends how to climb. I would describe a 5.10 as a moderately hard beginner route. I wouldn't ever expect someone to climb one their first time, but by session 10 probably, anyone in decent shape can do it. So if it actually was a 5.10, I don't see that being a problem for experienced mountaineers in ideal conditions. Obviously it's not ideal, but still plausible for Mallory to have been capable. It is not reasonable to completely dismiss the possibility.

Now, the technically correct possibility: 5.10 is part of the Yosemite Decimal System, and it was developed in the 30s primarily. So yeah, in the 20s-30s, only a handful of people had ever "officially" climbed a 5.10.
That's a dumb argument, however, and hopefully that's not what Anker was saying.

e: I didn't see that it was a 5.10c, which is harder than beginner. The point stands that it's a high intermediate grade, still well within the abilities of an experienced mountaineer

ante fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 12, 2020

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

ante posted:

I see that climbing stat parroted back a lot, and it seems off, but I haven't said anything, because I haven't spent the time to fact check it.

But here, I'll say it: That's either entirely bullshit, or only technically correct

I'm a climber, and have taught many friends how to climb. I would describe a 5.10 as a moderately hard beginner route. I wouldn't ever expect someone to climb one their first time, but by session 10 probably, anyone in decent shape can do it. So if it actually was a 5.10, I don't see that being a problem for experienced mountaineers in ideal conditions. Obviously it's not ideal, but still plausible for Mallory to have been capable. It is not reasonable to completely dismiss the possibility.

Now, the technically correct possibility: 5.10 is part of the Yosemite Decimal System, and it was developed in the 30s primarily. So yeah, in the 20s-30s, only a handful of people had ever "officially" climbed a 5.10.
That's a dumb argument, however, and hopefully that's not what Anker was saying.

e: I didn't see that it was a 5.10c, which is harder than beginner. The point stands that it's a high intermediate grade, still well within the abilities of an experienced mountaineer

All those way early routes are graded 5.10 because people have repeated them in the last 50 years and agreed yeah that was 5.10, obviously nobody knew what "5.10" was at the time.

Yes, I am a climber too, and 5.10 isn't a hard grade nowadays by any means, but you're forgetting the incredible advantages that climbers today have - shoes, dynamic ropes, understanding of how technique works, community expectations of what's hard and what isn't, etc. The hardest climb ever done in the world as of 1924 was 5.10c. People are saying that these guys hiked up thousands of feet into weather, snow, ice, to 8600 meters where there isn't much air, they're exhausted and tired - arguably the hardest approach possible on the planet earth - and they climbed a pitch onsight roughly equivalent to the hardest rock climb ever done in the world, a pitch more difficult than either Mallory or Irvine had ever done down at sea level. It's just not realistic.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Conrad Anker called it a 5.10, multiple other people before him assessed it at a 5.7 or 5.8.

And again, there's a good chance Mallory and Irvine would not have attempted to climb it in the first place, since the British teams before and after used the Norton Couloir route.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 12, 2020

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m not really a climber but I’ve climbed a 5.11 in a gym and a 5.7 in the wild at Tahquitz so I’m not completely out my rear end in saying it’s dubious someone was climbing what we now consider 5.10c on Everest in 1920’s. Just because the system was invented later doesn’t mean the route’s difficulty is somehow less

From everything I can find from experts about it the route was at the bleeding edge of what Mallory and Irvine were capable of.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Everest adjacent:
K2: 'Savage Mountain' beckons for unprecedented winter climb

They're experienced climbers but

quote:

"This challenge is even bigger because we're not using supplementary oxygen," asserts Gavan. "Climbing with oxygen is cheating - 8,000m with oxygen is like 3,500m without."
Yikes

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

There are plenty of obese people who try everything they can to lose weight but can't. There are zero people who try everything they can to not spend $100k to climb Everest but can't stop.

If they were trying everything they can they would be losing weight. Logically if a person isn't losing weight, either they are not doing what they should be doing, or they are doing it wrong. Your statement and comparison is nonsensical. Furthermore

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Heh, you are like little babies. Watch THIS

*tumbles hypoxic into a bottomless crevasse of ice*

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Everest adjacent:

Yikes

This thread is often like "Well the inexperienced climbers are idiots, but the guys who know what they're doing are super cool heroes"

They're all loving stupid. It's a stupid thing to do. Being an experienced 8,000m climber just means you did a loving stupid thing more than other people.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

ilmucche posted:

Everest adjacent:

Yikes

Man if they want to die that bad, there’s a million cheaper ways to accomplish it. I’m glad it’s going to be undertaken by actual climbers and not some dumbass tourists being hauled up a mountain by weary Sherpas but still, K2? Without oxygen?!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

This thread is often like "Well the inexperienced climbers are idiots, but the guys who know what they're doing are super cool heroes"

They're all loving stupid. It's a stupid thing to do. Being an experienced 8,000m climber just means you did a loving stupid thing more than other people.

yeah for real if Ueli Steck cannot dodge the capricous maw of the mountain what hope can mere mortals have?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Statistically, six of them are going to die. Statistically speaking.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Statistically, six of them are going to die. Statistically speaking.

I'm not babying for blood unless they're rich, exploitive and stupid.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Yeah, people who choose to climb K2 tend to actually know what they are getting into. I hope they beat the odds. But, man, there's a reason it's never been summited in winter.

Edit; to balance out my turn for the morbid, here's some Pakistan mountaineering/snowboarding with a positive note. Just a bunch of dudes skiing bits never skied before and having a hell of an adventure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkigzUFr3ys

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:piss: that is intense. Thanks for linking it.