Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Vox Nihili posted:

Apparently the SF apartment smoking ban saga is not over quite yet.

https://twitter.com/DeanPreston/status/1336451597421826048

This is good news. As I said in my previous post, separate from the primary issue, the standing ordinance has issues itself; they really need a separate law for people and companies; the idea that the daily fine has no grace period to prove your compliance and that people could bear the cost of appealing an administrative decision is nuts. Maybe DPH never charges anyone with this stuff (DPH never gave any stats) but the way it reads is pretty bad.

After dealing with that maybe the core issue can be tackled; it's obvious this ordinance was originally designed to hold businesses accountable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
https://abc7news.com/plumpjack-management-group-llc-gov-newsom-winery-sba-releases-detailed-ppp-data-what-business-does-gavin-own/8618229

I, for one, am shocked

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/michaelluo/status/1336877463868235776
Cool gerontocracy we got.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Can't wait for her to once again make a run at being the leading Dem on the Judiciary Committee and when some aide whispers to her that she promised to step down get real mad and claim she never said that.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/levin_phil/status/1336839190508519428?s=21

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

this is a good article, thanks for sharing

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the market will never get you cheap housing. if housing was cheap, the margins on constructing it would drop, which would mean investment for them would dry up and go to other things.

it's econ 101 poo poo and it's embarrassing when grown-rear end adults still haven't figured it out.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

sincx posted:

Most of the cost of housing in SF/LA is in the land, not the construction.*

There's plenty of new construction available for $200k elsewhere in the country, but not here where land costs millions of dollars an acre.

* - part of this is if the lot by itself costs $1m, you aren't going to just build a $150k structure on top of it.

Pretty sure the OP is including the cost of land in the cost of constructing housing.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

There are boarded up buildings, empty office towers, vacant hotels, and cordoned off homes all over San Francisco, the Bay Area, California, and the United States. The tweet is a lie and so is “the housing market.”

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Housing shouldn't be an investment. Full stop. It should be a crappy investment for anyone to look at that probably loses everyone involved money.

The fact that it's intensely profitable creates massive pressure to entrench barriers to entry, limit supply, and attract speculators.

The less profitable housing is the more will be built because the only way to exist in the industry will be via scale rather than scarcity AND the giant investment groups will stop treating it as a juicy place to part desperate money looking for returns.

SFH zoning is part of that problem, but without rent caps and regulation that kneecaps the potential profitability of landlords it's all just more scarcity politics.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
single-family residential zoning is explicitly racist and should be ended on those grounds alone

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yeah, market economies (especially wrt to housing) are bullshit but lmfao if you don't realize that the vast majority of the bay area's housing problems are government inflicted. keep railing against those evil developers building the one thing that makes them money, tho. i'm sure they'll realize the error of their ways and voluntarily start hemorrhaging money into unprofitable "affordable" housing any day now.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
what if rent wasnt like so much money lol. can u imagine that. bro i would be rich lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also according to CARB, sprawl and housing affordability is now a climate change issue

people arguing in favor of the status quo should absolutely be made to own both the racism and the climate-death aspects of this

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also according to CARB, sprawl and housing affordability is now a climate change issue

people arguing in favor of the status quo should absolutely be made to own both the racism and the climate-death aspects of this

it's it vitally important that we maintain racially segregated neighborhoods and anyone who suggests otherwise is actually racist

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
https://twitter.com/mayavada/status/1336966410673684480?s=21 click through the thread

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
"Most of their buildings are rentals, and like this one. This is not where people want to live in Los Angeles."

First of all to my knowledge that building doesn't loving exist and second that person has clearly not seen that part of LA lately.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Oneiros posted:

yeah, market economies (especially wrt to housing) are bullshit but lmfao if you don't realize that the vast majority of the bay area's housing problems are government inflicted. keep railing against those evil developers building the one thing that makes them money, tho. i'm sure they'll realize the error of their ways and voluntarily start hemorrhaging money into unprofitable "affordable" housing any day now.

the solution is neither to entice nor to harangue private developers but toactually build housing. your government is the mechanism you have for doing that.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

How do you deal with arguments that there are too many people in the Bay Area and SF already? I get arguments about water scarcity and traffic from homeowners all the time, less so for concerns about crime or property values, although I do know a lot of angry people trying to sell now and are infuriated that millennials aren’t fighting over their lovely Menlo Park ranch homes the way they were before the pandemic. They might have to sell their homes for only four times what they bought it for.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ProperGanderPusher posted:

How do you deal with arguments that there are too many people in the Bay Area and SF already? I get arguments about water scarcity and traffic from homeowners all the time, less so for concerns about crime or property values, although I do know a lot of angry people trying to sell now and are infuriated that millennials aren’t fighting over their lovely Menlo Park ranch homes the way they were before the pandemic. They might have to sell their homes for only four times what they bought it for.
I mean if they are actually selling and leaving the area... that's a net good?

My biggest frustration is with :airquote:progressives:airquote: that unwittingly fight on the same side of reactionaries.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

El Mero Mero posted:

Housing shouldn't be an investment. Full stop.

:hmmyes: Join EBPREC today!

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

CopperHound posted:

I mean if they are actually selling and leaving the area... that's a net good?

My biggest frustration is with :airquote:progressives:airquote: that unwittingly fight on the same side of reactionaries.

They’re selling, but they’ve gotten so used to expecting hilarious windfalls for completely lovely houses that I’m curious what will happen if there’s ever a substantial dip in the market. The sellers I’m talking about want to pay off their mortgages, be able to buy houses with cash in slightly cooler but nevertheless hot markets like Oregon and Colorado, and handle the taxes with the leftover money. They all say they won’t leave ever if they don’t get the money they want.

ProperGanderPusher fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 10, 2020

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

ProperGanderPusher posted:

The traffic is caused by sprawl, which is a result of sfh zoning.

The water scarcity issue is totally and completely unrelated to the number of people in the area as industry water usage accounts for 80% of the usage in california. Even if you look at just the residential usage single family homes with giant back yards in Hillsborough dominate and use 8-100x what a household in an apartment or condo would ever use.

"There are too many people" is also a 21st century way of saying that we don't want outsiders or different (non-white ) residents in our neighborhood.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

This is dope. I really like the sustainable economies law center er and hadn't seen that they'd launched this. Thanks.

Doc Hawkins posted:

the solution is neither to entice nor to harangue private developers but toactually build housing. your government is the mechanism you have for doing that.

Totally agree

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1336877322784419842

Wouldn't it be nice if this were the scandal that stuck?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

single-family residential zoning is explicitly racist and should be ended on those grounds alone

yeah well so is capitalism but that doesn't stop this forum from advocating for austere, practical, common sense solutions that reach across the aisle and help us come together, heal our divisions, and rekindle the promise of this great land thank you and god bless

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
'Too many people' is often a dogwhistle for 'Too many immigrants'. I never hear these types of people wring their hands about too many white people moving into an area.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A goon who does construction management (planning? I don't remember) once explained all the ways that construction is more expensive in San Francisco. One of them is that concrete mixers have to drive up from the Peninsula or across one of the bridges, and in either case there's a severe risk that the concrete will have waited too long to be poured. Another is the higher cost of transport in general, because delivery costs reflect the time it takes to make them. There were others.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Panfilo posted:

'Too many people' is often a dogwhistle for 'Too many immigrants'. I never hear these types of people wring their hands about too many white people moving into an area.

gonna publish a medium article titled One Billion San Franciscans

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

well, you can't accuse her of not representing her constituency

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/1336877322784419842

Wouldn't it be nice if this were the scandal that stuck?

They should set up a retirement community for legislators where they can pretend they are still in congress, like that village full of dementia patients in Denmark.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A goon who does construction management (planning? I don't remember) once explained all the ways that construction is more expensive in San Francisco. One of them is that concrete mixers have to drive up from the Peninsula or across one of the bridges, and in either case there's a severe risk that the concrete will have waited too long to be poured. Another is the higher cost of transport in general, because delivery costs reflect the time it takes to make them. There were others.

That's true. When my company buys concrete for projects in SF it always comes from Oakland, Martinez, or San Rafael. Disposing of construction debris in SF is also vastly more expensive. We usually have to take it to Marin Resource Recovery because SF won't accept dump receipts from other recycling centers and Marin charges a fortune. SF also charges us per employee who doesn't have employer provided healthcare from us. It doesn't matter if they get it through their spouse's employer, we have to pay a fee to the city. Getting permits costs a ton in terms of labor costs because we have to send someone to DPH for an entire day because you just have to sit there and wait forever. That is, unless you pay a permit expediter. Parking for workers is also ridiculous. Did you know that you can't park workers in the spaces you reserve with a street space permit and that even if you're working on a large building, sometimes you can literally only get one spot for the vast number of trades and all their workers working on a project? Because of this, we sometimes have to charge a full day for 6 hours of effective work because people have to park in 2 hour parking and move their cars all day long. SF makes construction incredibly difficult.

I'm not in housing development, so I don't know what other things increase costs, but I'm sure they're there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Xaris posted:

Labor is expensive because there aren't enough and also lots of them live far away because they can't afford it. It's not glamorous and not a lot of people going into it even though prevailing wage pays very well, like $35/hr minimum and $53/hr after 8 ontop of some minimum required other benefits that comes out to be $56/hr and $75/hr in OT. PW is extremely cool and good but it's something most other states don't have to pay.

Materials are expensive and getting more expensive to source as local industries that used to supply em have been shutting down. It's getting harder to get suppliers and prices go up as their costs co up and as labor in all parts of the chain go up. A lot of the supplier places are like out in the far-east bay like Antioch and stuff. Also sending 10 cement trucks a day f(or a single project!) across the bay bridge everyday where they're stuck in 2 hr traffic there, then another 2 hr back, adds up to a ton of hourly expenses just on the road. Getting poo poo in and out of SF or Peninsula is a total additional nightmare.

also permitting is just utterly stupid. here in berkeley there's like the zoning board which has to approve it and the city has to approve it and it can take years between the two to concur and if one disagrees and sends it back, its another long delay. there's some projects that have waited years to be approved by ZAB, then waited for city only to then be kicked off and told to go back through the process for some other nonsensical changes like add more parking! make it smaller!. Several high profile ones have been like in permitting for like 4+ years and getting jerked around by the city one telling them to do something and the other telling them to do something different.

I'm working on Treasure Island and they're constructing a new ferry terminal, but 2 harbor seals were spotted and work has been partially shutdown because some random rear end higher up person came out with a proclamation they can't work 1000-ft with seals nearby, even if they haven't been spotted in 72 hrs. Even the actual environmental guy on staff is like that's utterly stupid and industry standard is like 100 ft. Pile driving sound in water drops off well before that but I guess gotta justify pretending to be Doing Something I'm Smart. This is two-three digit million job where they've spent over half a million bucks mobilizing a large pile driving barge and they can't even use it. I've been on sites where they had to shut the crane down and basically wait out a month because 2 birds nested in it over the weekend so now no one could work had to spend a lot of time and money mobing another crane (which you can't get on short-notice) so lots of manhours doing nothing racking up change-order costs. YBI retaining wall work for a new road got delayed for over 8 months because the existing drawings were off from the actual-location and so plans had some differing thing and it took 9 months for the city to re-approve a small modification. In the mean time because this was all planned months in advance and staffed up, a bunch of people basically were either laid off or paid minimally doing nothing and a bunch of rentals and other costs just going up and up and hoping that you can bill out the rear end in change orders to make up for it

Xaris posted:

yeah there's just lots of issues. if i had to wishlist from easiest to hardest:

- State wide advertising campaign to encourage more construction work and can even advertise $32 minimum pay on prevailing wage projects with equipment operators going $45-65 and standard pay, and also advocating it's not physically demanding (although it certainly is physically exhausting). Free training and licensing programs for people looking to be operators and things like that. Create a state-wide registry of laborers looking for work to connect up with projects looking to staff-up.
- More project-bid award or other incentive to hire at least 25% of project man-hours from within X miles.
- Total revamp CEQA/EIR to be on an specific needed-basis based on mapped areas of potential impacts to waterways, removal/alteration of existing habited areas, or in areas of mapped endangered species and remove it as a weapon from NIMBYs to say 'no you can't build that granny unit or that or that because it'll cast shadows! and therefore birds don't like shadows, and increased traffic!". At this point it's done far far more to hurt the environment than to help
- Create a State Permitting and Plan Check Department with a large staff that handles all submittals with goal of comments back/approval in <180 days and faster for turning around requested changes; checked to ensure state code requirements are met and removes this from local authority which may be chronically underfunded/slow (intentionally or otherwise). Development of standard plans for 4-7 story wood-frame structures over optional 1-2 story concrete podiums that can be adopted on a per-lot size with faster review and approval turn-around.
- Abolishment of local zoning and requirements except in exonerating circumstances (i.e. historic areas could follow an historic aesthetic). If it meets building code, it can be built regardless of a city's demand that it must have 10 parking spaces per unit or demand nothing large than 1-story houses on 1 acre lots. (Scott Weiner is kind of trying on this front but it's not going anywhere even it's extremely watered-down form)
- Consolidation of transit authorities into larger regional transit authorities and creation of large state-funding programs designed to improve and expand public transit immune to local interference, and while expanding transit also be converting more roads into public transit/bikes/ped/commercial vehicles only
- Create California Housing Authority which creates a statewide supply of state-owned labor and large equipment yards with state-owned material supply chain that builds housing done Singapore/Vienna style and sold and leased at-cost or subsidized ,wherever the gently caress it wants to

fund it all by abolishing prop 13 and adding capital gains tax

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Xenix posted:

Because of this, we sometimes have to charge a full day for 6 hours of effective work because people have to park in 2 hour parking and move their cars all day long. SF makes construction incredibly difficult.
I would get so frustrated when my old employer would tell us to take the work van into the city as opposed to dropping a big tool box off at the work site. Of course the full size van doesn't fit in most garages either.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CA Notify is live:
https://canotify.uchealth.edu/

Please use this on your phones.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

El Mero Mero posted:

Housing shouldn't be an investment.

This guy had the answer. There isn't anything explicitly racist about the existence of a suburb. There has been, and still is, structural issues that persistently have kept them segregated.

Example: The sprawling suburbs of Vegas are because the vast majority of the city was constructed post-Reagan and so wasn't subjected to redlining, loan manipulation, etc that the old east coast cities are. That isn't to ignore that there is a historically Black region in town that has always been afflicted with poverty, because in Sinatra's heyday this place was as racist as most Confederate states ("Mississippi of the west" and all that), but outsiders moving into the city's newer suburbs are more of a cultural mix than you might expect because new properties aren't snapped up and then land-hoarded for a lifetime under the racist policies of the past.

We did get hit very hard by the 2008 recession and nearly turn into another Detroit for it, but you'll notice through Obama's first term the right-wing response was that the recession was *really* caused by progressive policies trying to force loan handouts to POC "risky" buyers and banks weren't a problem at all.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

CA Notify is live:
https://canotify.uchealth.edu/

Please use this on your phones.

That is a good link but this one is marginally better since the url is shorter:

https://canotify.ca.gov/

I'm pretty sure the content of the websites are exactly the same.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

This seems good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

starbucks hermit posted:

That is a good link but this one is marginally better since the url is shorter:

https://canotify.ca.gov/

I'm pretty sure the content of the websites are exactly the same.

Thanks. I was looking for that one, but google kept giving me the UC one.