Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

the best thing fallout 4 did was make power armor a mech instead of plate mail, but it's not fun enough overall to make it really matter imo

Oh true, I did like that as well. It did feel like batteries for it were eventually too plentiful so that it started to be something I'd want to use any time I wasn't in sneaky mode (which seemed to sorta flatten out my character's build choices), but on balance I think it was a good change. I never found power armor very useful in FO3 or New Vegas so it was fun to actually want to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Nier remake comes out in April and Hitman 3 in January. Other than that no clue

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Persona 5 Strikers in February, if that counts?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

wuggles posted:

Did you see what they did for Minecraft? I don’t believe there’s anything the Smash team can’t do

Yeah, but Minecraft / Steve is heavily grid based, fortnite isn't that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Persona 5 Strikers in February, if that counts?

i'll allow it!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Simone Magus posted:

diagetically bad textures.

Like V says “You have to hand it to these gang bangers, they really know how to perfectly smooth a wall.”?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Do monster hunter rise and re8 have dates? Bravely 2 does I think but that's not quite AAA

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Convex posted:

What does this mean please? I am dumb

im guessing the game intentionally glitches out some of the environment when youre using one of those visors that were a big part of the pre-release focus which is a fun idea

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
im thinking about slowbeefs obsession with those rezbit enemies from metroid prime 2 that overload your visor and cracking up

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i hope the metroid prime trilogy switch release memes itself into existence someday i really wanna revisit those

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

Oh true, I did like that as well. It did feel like batteries for it were eventually too plentiful so that it started to be something I'd want to use any time I wasn't in sneaky mode (which seemed to sorta flatten out my character's build choices), but on balance I think it was a good change. I never found power armor very useful in FO3 or New Vegas so it was fun to actually want to use it.

The best thing about it was at least having back the thin illusion of verticality in some small way. They still won't let you jet on top of many things, many areas were faked, you could jet to where they should be but the area proper doesn't work unless you come in the right entrance load, but drat for a Bethesda game it was the most z movement we've had since Morrowind.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

Do monster hunter rise and re8 have dates? Bravely 2 does I think but that's not quite AAA

Oh, Monster Hunter Rise has a date at least (March 26)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Not enough games gently caress with your HUD.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Rise is March 26th next year, don't know about the others.

Edit: oh no

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Violen posted:

im thinking about slowbeefs obsession with those rezbit enemies from metroid prime 2 that overload your visor and cracking up

link

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
to the enemy effect or the LP segment lol

are those even hosted anywhere anymore

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Saint Freak posted:

Uh, Atelier Ryza 2. God how could you forget the biggest upcoming release?

:hai:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Convex posted:

What does this mean please? I am dumb

Everyone's got Computer in Brain so sometimes Reality Glitch, that old chestnut

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Page 69 with dong bugs

Nice

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Violen posted:

to the enemy effect or the LP segment lol

are those even hosted anywhere anymore

The LPArchive still seems to be up

https://lparchive.org/Metroid-Prime-2-Echoes/

Don't know which video, but the Baldurdash links still work.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
oh sweet

i might just rewatch the opening fascination with sanctuary fortress tbh it's the good stuff

i remember him being so browbeat by the game by that point that getting rewarded with the fortress was some childhood trip to disney world poo poo

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Violen posted:

i hope the metroid prime trilogy switch release memes itself into existence someday i really wanna revisit those

I'm hearing that 2021 will be labelled "the year of Samus" to celebrate 35 years of Metroid and we will be getting non-stop Metroid content all year!!

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
thats the spirit

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm hearing that 2021 will be labelled "the year of Samus" to celebrate 35 years of Metroid and we will be getting non-stop Metroid content all year!!

Looking forward to Nintendo releasing a commemorative 3DS theme and absolutely nothing else.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Help Im Alive posted:

Hope this means they put them in Smash so I can finally figure who this "Samus" character is.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It's what you all wanted THE YEAR OF SAMUS

Federation Force 2
Other M: reMastered
Earn 100 points in Tetris 99 to unlock Metroid Backdrop
Super Metroid available on Switch for $39.99, one month only before it goes back in the Nintendo Vault.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Deathloop's new date is May 21, which is also around the time I'll get a PS5

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Saint Freak posted:

It's what you all wanted THE YEAR OF SAMUS

Federation Force 2
Other M: reMastered
Earn 100 points in Tetris 99 to unlock Metroid Backdrop
Super Metroid available on Switch for $39.99, one month only before it goes back in the Nintendo Vault.

Jokes on you Super Metroid is already on Switch.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Actually it's also the Zelda 35th anniversary next year too so there's a small chance that Link will getting slightly more focus than Samus

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

They're also claiming that it's unreasonable to expect a Modern AAA Game like CP2077 to run on weak 2013 consoles despite the fact that

1. The game has been in development since before the PS4 came out
2. There have been multiple technically impressive AAA games on current gen hardware this year
3. We're a month into the generation, there's no way people are using the new hardware yet in such a fashion as to be literally unplayable on current gen
4. The game was supposed to come out in February, months before the PS5 was even shown off, let alone out
5. They released a current gen version anyway

There also doesn't exist a "current gen" version of the game. Series X and PS5 can boost the Xbone/PS4 version a bit, but they've outright said that next-gen optimizations won't exist until next year.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not enough games gently caress with your HUD.

At the end of Halo Reach you're left in a no-win scenario and to drive it home as you take damage your helmet's visor starts cracking. As it does various parts of your HUD shut off, so your radar will go, then your shield display. It's a really good way of showing you're hosed lol

It's a plot point in Ace Combat 7 that the bad guys have taken control of your IFF and you get to spend a few missions manually figuring out whether or not you should shoot down the jet in your sights or not until you get visual confirmation that they're an ally

Most Mechwarrior games will have your HUD scramble or become unreadable if you're hit by a PPC (which scrambles targeting), or start to flicker off and on if your mech begins to overheat.

More games should gently caress with your display, it's great.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 10, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My favorite use of the HUD for story purposes is in Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, where at the end, you need to hold down your Dragon Breath attack button for so long that your D-Meter (which ends the game if it hits 100%) goes past 100% while you're holding off an evil dragon to save your friends. It's really dramatic and effective.

Dragon Quarter... is good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oxxidation posted:

there aren't even any big-name releases with concrete launch dates left after cyberpunk, right
Isn't there a bunch of stuff that was delayed in fear of Cyberpunk, then delayed again because Cyberpunk had been delayed?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Maybe I should get a burrito today

https://twitter.com/gamesEnlisted/status/1336896810980421633

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cyberpunk seems ok based on the first few hours

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Another good HUD trick: In Dead Space your HUD is a hologram projected by Isaac's suit, and your health bar is a light than runs up his spine. The things the suit projects exist in the world, and the spine light changes size and color to reflect your health. But the really clever bit is that every NPC wearing a similar suit also has working versions of both of those features- when they use their suit controls you can see their holograms, and if they get injured or killed the spine light remains accurate.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Chev posted:

Isn't there a bunch of stuff that was delayed in fear of Cyberpunk, then delayed again because Cyberpunk had been delayed?
Don't think so. A lot of stuff was delayed but for the more obvious reasons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

Another good HUD trick: In Dead Space your HUD is a hologram projected by Isaac's suit, and your health bar is a light than runs up his spine. The things the suit projects exist in the world, and the spine light changes size and color to reflect your health. But the really clever bit is that every NPC wearing a similar suit also has working versions of both of those features- when they use their suit controls you can see their holograms, and if they get injured or killed the spine light remains accurate.

I forget if it's in 2 or 3 you can see a npc trying to check another npc's spine light to see how hurt they are

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SDR2 Chapter 3 Trial:

Well obviously Ibuki killed herself cause she was ordered to it and she had the Despair Disease, I didn't think that even needed explaining

All right so Mikan's the only one with an alibi except we know the video is bullshit and Mikan's the only one who woulda been in the hospital, right? Right. Right?

Jesus Akane's rebuttal showdown was loving brutal :negative:

Gundam's gaining points with me for not taking Kazuichi's creeper poo poo

NO BLOODY FOOTPRINTS :vincefrog:

Oh god I have no idea what's wrong with the hanging video :negative:

OH THERE'S NO BLOODSTAIN ON THE LADDER

Another Hangman's Gambit godammit, this is so much harder than the first game

ANOTHER loving HANGMAN'S GAMBIT gently caress OFFFF oh wait that one was piss easy

Aaaaaa time to pick gently caress, ok big money no whammies Mikan it's youuuuuuuu

YESSSSSSSSSSS

Man Mikan going all in on the waterworks

Oh Ibuki got strangled! Thanks Nagito ya jerk

Ohhhhhhhhh and Mikan confirmed Ibuki died from hanging! Gotcha!

...Oh shitballs Mikan's crazy

MIKAN YOU NEVER SAW THE VIDEO HOW DO YOU KNOW THE CAMERA ANGLE

Not quite done but yeesh I need a break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Dead Space 2 is probably the best balance of action and horror ever where both elements feel meaningful and complement each other.

#2 would be RE4.