Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maximo Roboto posted:

And probably not super-expensive

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Purple Prince posted:

Amsterdam is like London except much more blunt and direct, and much prettier. You can get weed on every corner in both, but in Amsterdam they have shops for it. You can’t use toilets in shops without paying in both, but instead of loving around with key locks, the Dutch just charge you to use the bathroom. Just imagine everything about English culture (such as it is) magnified and in your face, and that’s Amsterdam.

Also bikes.

Is Amsterdam the one where there are stores with big glass windows out front showing off nekkid ladies?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Purple Prince posted:

Amsterdam is like London except much more blunt and direct, and much prettier. You can get weed on every corner in both, but in Amsterdam they have shops for it. You can’t use toilets in shops without paying in both, but instead of loving around with key locks, the Dutch just charge you to use the bathroom. Just imagine everything about English culture (such as it is) magnified and in your face, and that’s Amsterdam.

Also bikes.

What if one of the things you enjoy about Britain is the awkwardness and semi-polite messing about.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

prefect posted:

Is Amsterdam the one where there are stores with big glass windows out front showing off nekkid ladies?

Yep, and we saw one when we went there. It’s only in one specific part of the red light district though.

Not really judging whether the UK or Amsterdam is better, just the Dutch seem to have less compunctions about soulless capitalism than Brits do.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's not so much compunctions as massive systemic contradictions and general feelings of unhappiness.

Let the UK be a warning to the rest of the west. We just speed-ran what is going to happen to the rest of you in the decades to come unless things start mattering again.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Maximo Roboto posted:

And probably not super-expensive

Sorry to burst your bubble but a one bedroom flat of 25 square meters goes for nearly 300k in Amsterdam. It's so bad that people sell their homes in the capital and then just buy two in the next closest city for the money they made selling it.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Party Boat posted:

Italy was way more unnerving given cars don't actually stop at pedestrian crossings until you step into the road.

aaaaaaaah so that's where Buenos Aires absolutely psychotic driving comes from

São Paulo is a 2nd

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's not so much compunctions as massive systemic contradictions and general feelings of unhappiness.

Let the UK be a warning to the rest of the west. We just speed-ran what is going to happen to the rest of you in the decades to come unless things start mattering again.

Trust me, that message has been heard loud and clear.

Unfortunately, it's been heard by both the leftists and the (crypto)fash.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ChrisMasonBBC/status/1337094733332680704?s=19

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

How unfortunate. Who could have seen that coming. I'm sure best efforts were applied at all stages. Oh well. Never mind.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Brexit means

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nonsense posted:

Brexit means

Black and blue Brexit.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Black and blue tan Brexit.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Oven ready.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Nonsense posted:

Brexit means

Just think that by Monday we'll be able to finish that sentence.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Blimey! A chav nicked me Brexit!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

An insane mind posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble but a one bedroom flat of 25 square meters goes for nearly 300k in Amsterdam. It's so bad that people sell their homes in the capital and then just buy two in the next closest city for the money they made selling it.
How are you gonna cover two homes with 25 square meters of flooring??? This literally makes no sense.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

An insane mind posted:

idk, I thought London was even more expensive

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
https://www.freethenorth.co.uk/

Norxit

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

A Buttery Pastry posted:

How are you gonna cover two homes with 25 square meters of flooring??? This literally makes no sense.

Sorry, I know I'm bad at explaining. What I meant was that they sell their small apartment for insane prices and instead buy two relatively big places in other cities. Renting one out so they can get the full landlord experience.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

An insane mind posted:

Sorry, I know I'm bad at explaining. What I meant was that they sell their small apartment for insane prices and instead buy two relatively big places in other cities. Renting one out so they can get the full landlord experience.
I understand that, I'm wondering how they're gonna get flooring for the two relatively big places?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm not sure how things work in the UK, but in the mainland, domiciles usually come with floors installed at the point of purchase.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm not sure how things work in the UK, but in the mainland, domiciles usually come with floors installed at the point of purchase.

only floorboards blessed by the queen are allowed so generally you tear them up when you leave for reuse

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I, a Tory, simply walk upon the poor.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I understand that, I'm wondering how they're gonna get flooring for the two relatively big places?

Oh well...they're still Dutch. Who needs floors when you have clogs made of cheese? Chlogs.

E: -cleese

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It is markedly easier to find "affordable" housing in London than it is in Amsterdam, not least because Amsterdam is tiny.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

namesake posted:

Just think that by Monday we'll be able to finish that sentence.

can't believe there are still optimists in cspam

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
lets bear in mind that amsterdam is about the size of covent garden and just as touristy. anyway these guys have crunched the numbers and the results may surprise you https://versus.com/en/amsterdam-vs-london

How is Amsterdam better than London?

65.79$ cheaper monthly public transport ticket
100.62$vs166.41$
36.46% lower population density
3506 people/km²vs5518 people/km²
4.6% lower unemployment rate
3.5%vs8.1%
Has a seaside beach
636.76$ cheaper cost of a one-bedroom apartment in the city center
1 508.37$vs2145.13$
14.8$ billion higher GDP (PPP)
579.8$ billion vs565$ billion
0.6°C lower average minimum temperature
6.9°Cvs7.5°C
0.04 lower income inequalities
0.31vs0.35
See full comparison on versus.com

How is London better than Amsterdam?

1°C higher average maximum temperature
15.2°Cvs14.2°C
0.5°C higher average temperature
11°Cvs10.5°C
11 more universities
21vs10
8.93million more inhabitants
9.78 millionvs0.85 million
188.94$ higher average salary
2 773.00$vs2584.06$
2.2 years younger population
36.4 yearsvs38.6 years
189 more museums
240vs51
0.04$ lower cost of one single transportation ticket
3.2$vs3.24$

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah but Amsterdam is probably going to be swallowed by the sea soon unlike L-- oh

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The Netherlands are the exception: You have to bring your own when you move in, or live with a bare concrete subfloor.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Netherlands are the exception: You have to bring your own when you move in, or live with a bare concrete subfloor.

i'm reasonably sure that this is a joke the dutch play on outsiders (like the one germans play by pretending an entire city of theirs doesn't exist), but i've heard this from enough places to not be sure

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

redleader posted:

i'm reasonably sure that this is a joke the dutch play on outsiders (like the one germans play by pretending an entire city of theirs doesn't exist), but i've heard this from enough places to not be sure
They might claim that it's a joke, but that's just to hide their embarrassment at having thought having to install new floors whenever you move was reasonable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

redleader posted:

The Germans are on a next level because they make you bring your own kitchen oftentimes.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The kitchen is usually not part of the lease with the landlord, but every time I moved places in Germany, I was able to buy the existing kitchen of the previous tenant. People don’t move nearly as often as in other countries and it’s cool and good to be able to design your own home.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Where is the goon who was insisting no deal will be fine do you still believe so?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
no deal will be fine

death to the west

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I think you'll find that the substrate of the earth will still exist just as well with no deal, therefore,

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/danielstorey85/status/1337165198118031360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Traditional English meal of toast and chips :)