Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Slaan posted:

I'm more concerned that the texts are all generally loving stupid. They are badly spelled and half the time are conspiracy theory nonsense like "Trump is putin's puppet don't let prdue give us back to China" instead of actual get out the vote messages based around real world policy messages aimed to the poor and working class

I've never gotten any texts like that, thankfully. The ones I got were all like what Grammarchist described.

Grammarchist posted:

I didn't personally mind texts during the General Election. They were polite, issues-oriented and easy to ignore after the initial reminder that an election is happening. Then again, I was a donor and volunteer for doomed local candidate, so it's not like I needed the reminder to vote in November, even if I'm stuck in a deep-red state where it didn't matter. Georgia going blue for a bit, even if it isn't quite ready to go full Virginia/Colorado, was huge for morale out here in Indiana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Aineris posted:

You're either a complete imbecile, or you're totally fine with blatantly violating the spirit of anti-robotexting laws. Probably both. Either way, you're not helping your cause in the least, unless your cause is to annoy as many people as possible.
Just so you know, the mass text program boquiabierta describes are SOP for campaigns these days. Every Dem candidate, including Sanders, used something like this.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Eric Cantonese posted:

I've never gotten any texts like that, thankfully. The ones I got were all like what Grammarchist described.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind if the three texts I get every day reminding me to vote in the runoff were like Grammarchist described. Those are the exception rather than the rule from my experience though :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I liked this thread a lot better when people were unironically comparing political advertising to voter supression

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I just wanna say it's bullshit we market ourselves on peaches and not the clearly superior Vidalia onions.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

blossommirage posted:

I just wanna say it's bullshit we market ourselves on peaches and not the clearly superior Vidalia onions.

Aren’t those like a corporate property? I don’t disagree that they’re delicious but I’m pretty sure I always see them as Vidalia(R)

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Ok Comboomer posted:

Aren’t those like a corporate property? I don’t disagree that they’re delicious but I’m pretty sure I always see them as Vidalia(R)
According to Wikipedia, the GA leg authorized a trademark in 1986, and a federal Dept. of Ag. marketing order backs it up. IANAL but I think the long and short of it is that if you see "Vidalia onion" on the packaging, that means that it was actually grown in one of the specified Georgia counties (and not the same species grown in a greenhouse in Wisconsin or whatever). But no specific corporation owns that trademark (I think).

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

AtraMorS posted:

According to Wikipedia, the GA leg authorized a trademark in 1986, and a federal Dept. of Ag. marketing order backs it up. IANAL but I think the long and short of it is that if you see "Vidalia onion" on the packaging, that means that it was actually grown in one of the specified Georgia counties (and not the same species grown in a greenhouse in Wisconsin or whatever).

The champagne of onions!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Peaches are way better than onions, fight me

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I don’t think they’re as versatile or key in a lot of cooking as onions

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Peach is very nice in salsa and chili, onion is necessary in salsa and chili

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

yeah but you're not just gonna grab a raw onion and eat it by itself.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I could eat an onion for hours.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Hellblazer187 posted:

Oh yeah!? This is Murcia buddy and I’m going to do exactly that right now!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Hellblazer187 posted:

I guarantee if you were starving for 12 days in the woods a raw onion would look really loving good

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

If it wasn't grown in the counties surrounding Vidalia, Georgia then that raw onion is just sparkling poo poo tbh and shouldn't be consumed

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

I actually did do this once as a kid because my parents couldn't afford any food for a bit. My breath sucked for awhile.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I loving love peaches on my burgers and freshly-baked lattice-crust onion pie.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Onion in pie (and quiche) is mad good

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ok Comboomer posted:

Onion in pie (and quiche) is mad good

Not if you just sub onions into a peach cobbler recipe with no other changes, which is what I was implying.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Slaan posted:

If it wasn't grown in the counties surrounding Vidalia, Georgia then that raw onion is just sparkling poo poo tbh and shouldn't be consumed

Hear, hear! Now I’m not gonna lie and say that the onion is not a very polarizing vegetable. But I’ll be god damned if that onion doesnt mean something! That Onion stands for pride, self sufficiency and traditional family values. When the fascists marched on Poland the onion was there. During our darkest hours of the great depression the onions stood firm.

I say rename Peachtree Street onions Street. Let the world know we stand with onion!

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I'm a radical leftist onion fan and I support Medicare for all.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Up with comrade Onion, hero of the People

Down with fascist peach, oppressor of the worker

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/kCHdp7RpiwA

an interesting little movie from my favorite internet Trekkie

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Meanwhile, Georgia is mostly this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83quspp4FZE

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsTheB5ufqU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm going to text onions to all of you using an algorithm.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:aaaaa:

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

OK, FINE, outside of starvation, poverty, or self harm to own the libs, you're not going to grab an onion and just eat it by itself raw. I'm sure there are other edgecases as well, but most people would rather have a peach by itself than an onion by itself.

nerox
May 20, 2001
No one messes with big onion.

https://www.onlineathens.com/article/20150808/NEWS/308089969

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Hellblazer187 posted:

OK, FINE, outside of starvation, poverty, or self harm to own the libs, you're not going to grab an onion and just eat it by itself raw. I'm sure there are other edgecases as well, but most people would rather have a peach by itself than an onion by itself.

this is an insane post??? mods??? its gross to imply that people don't regularly eat onions like apples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvkjARWyH6Y

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/529763-nearly-90-percent-of-black-women-voters-in-georgia-say-theyre-likely-to

do we know what percentage of black women in georgia voted in the election? i wonder if anyone will be voting in the runoffs that didn’t vote in the general?

this is interesting given biden’s shrugging off of civil rights leaders in the state.

cnn article discussing just how important black voters (approx 25% of all 2020 voters) were to this year’s general

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/21/politics/black-women-crucial-georgia-democrats/index.html

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aruan posted:

this is an insane post??? mods??? its gross to imply that people don't regularly eat onions like apples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvkjARWyH6Y

deffo eaten fresh onion salads before

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

can someone do an IP check on that poster? they clearly are a shill for the Big Peach lobby and its hosed up. who here doesn't add some raw onion to your salad.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aruan posted:

can someone do an IP check on that poster? they clearly are a shill for the Big Peach lobby and its hosed up. who here doesn't add some raw onion to your salad.

tho peaches are legitimately good on burgers, though better pickled

the question is really about eating onions alone tho not in combination with much else

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
When I chop and slice onions I sneak a few into my mouth in between tears

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Australia's rather horrid former pm became a national oddity for eating a raw onion skin and all

https://youtu.be/F_UJ9_Qhekc

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Raw onions are a common side dish at Chinese restaurants in South Korea. And you sometimes see them at regular restaurants as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I think most reasonable scholars can agree that being anti-onion is both racist and evidence of support for voter supression

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Do you goons think our chances of winning at least one of the senate seats here are slipping or gaining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Do you goons think our chances of winning at least one of the senate seats here are slipping or gaining?

It’s hard to say since as far as I know there have been no new polls for a while.