Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

James Woods posted:

If there's an EPS system that doesn't feel like a Logitech I haven't driven it and I'm a service mechanic who specializes in European cars.

981 Porsche steering is pretty decent, but hydraulic is still better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

KillHour posted:

The other day I was strongly considering getting a cheap beater Cayenne for when I have to do adult things in a car instead of fun things in a car but I don't want to make a nice car dirty.

I still secretly want a 6spd gen2 Cayenne.

EDIT: Hell even a gen1 will do.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Ziploc posted:

I still secretly want a 6spd gen2 Cayenne.

EDIT: Hell even a gen1 will do.

I've never driven one off road but I hear they're one of the best trail worthy unibody SUVs. I've always planned to get one of the old V8s if I ever move somewhere that snows again. Had no idea they made a manual. Even more tempting. The Cayenne and Panamera are not half bad too work on either compared to Porsche's mid and rear engine models.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the 6sp cayenne is toilet garbage

James Woods posted:

Thanks for the info wasn't aware that there is a separate classic car registration. Not sure what you mean by itv or getting specs from local car clubs though.

My 02 was professnally built but like I said it is engine swapped and a bit of a rat rod. Race suspension, custom big brake kit, custom wiring harness, lots of metal fabbed parts. I've always heard horror stories about EU inspections and wasnt sure what they'd think of my little monster. I would hate to get there and realize I spent thousands of dollars on a 200hp track only car. And while mine has sentimental value 02s go for nothing out there and mine would sell here for twice as much as a nice EU model costs.

I'm not totally sold on a hatchback but it would be nice. Again this will likely not be a daily driver. If I have to commute to work I'll likely use a bicycle/motorcycle/scooter. I'll be living in central Madrid and taking monthly trips ro Barcelona, Valencia and a few road trips a year to Germany, Austria, and Italy. My main criteria in order are.

Fast enough for mountain driving and yearly trips to the Nordschleife.

RWD

Manual

Tight steering. No EPS and no Audis.

Simplicity. No touch screens, iDrive or similar nonsense.

I might consider a convertible as well as long as it's a purpose built roadster. For example in in the states I'd never own a 3 series convertible but I'd own a Z3.

should probably bring over your 1er then, don't think there's much else unless you want to go old old

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the 6sp cayenne is toilet garbage

should probably bring over your 1er then, don't think there's much else unless you want to go old old

I'm not afraid of old old rear end long as the EU doesn't have a problem with me shoehorning a decent fuel injected engine in it. Speaking of which, are there yards like Pick N' Pull in the EU to grab blocks and parts from?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

James Woods posted:

Thanks for the info wasn't aware that there is a separate classic car registration. Not sure what you mean by itv or getting specs from local car clubs though.

My 02 was professnally built but like I said it is engine swapped and a bit of a rat rod. Race suspension, custom big brake kit, custom wiring harness, lots of metal fabbed parts. I've always heard horror stories about EU inspections and wasnt sure what they'd think of my little monster. I would hate to get there and realize I spent thousands of dollars on a 200hp track only car. And while mine has sentimental value 02s go for nothing out there and mine would sell here for twice as much as a nice EU model costs.

Spain is a bit more lax in comparison to germany for example but still pretty strict.
You would need a build sheet for your car from the one who built it, or local bmw/2002 club with full specs for the registration. Generally you would pick one up from bayerische motoren werke ag but you swapped it so a different spec sheet is better. ITV is the periodical technical inspection.
My guy offered me to sent your data to the local fixer so he would get you an estimate on bringing your car, so if you would like to, you can throw me a vin, manufacture year and build spec sheet with some photos I can forward those and see how much it will cost you.

James Woods posted:

I'm not afraid of old old rear end long as the EU doesn't have a problem with me shoehorning a decent fuel injected engine in it. Speaking of which, are there yards like Pick N' Pull in the EU to grab blocks and parts from?

Not exactly pick and pull style, but some still do let you do this. It's prohibited due to safety regulations in spain. idk about other countries.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

old audis have quite tight steering actually. the steering on my b5 a4 was far tighter and heavier than on my e92.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Speaking of steering changes, turning the front half of the drivetrain back on definitely changes the feel! I've had it flashed to RWD since March or so, and thought I'd be responsible and put it back to AWD for the winter.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Erulisse posted:

Spain is a bit more lax in comparison to germany for example but still pretty strict.
You would need a build sheet for your car from the one who built it, or local bmw/2002 club with full specs for the registration. Generally you would pick one up from bayerische motoren werke ag but you swapped it so a different spec sheet is better. ITV is the periodical technical inspection.
My guy offered me to sent your data to the local fixer so he would get you an estimate on bringing your car, so if you would like to, you can throw me a vin, manufacture year and build spec sheet with some photos I can forward those and see how much it will cost you.

Not exactly pick and pull style, but some still do let you do this. It's prohibited due to safety regulations in spain. idk about other countries.

That's super helpful thank you. I'll send you a PM.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lord Ludikrous posted:

So the warranty on my 2015 118i runs out in a few months and I've got a fair few maintenance and other costs upcoming (extended warranty, new tyres, new brakes, cosmetic repairs, excess mileage etc) and decided that as my favoured dealer was having a massive sale due to changing their name, to see what I could get if I turned all that money into a deposit instead.

I got a thing, and I collect it Wednesday.

Its a 6 month old 320i M Sport Shadow Edition. I would've preferred a manual but none were available, and to be honest I'm dealing with a lot of poo poo traffic on my commute anyway. Overall I'm paying fractionally more than I would for a brand new 118i M Sport Shadow Edition, and its got all the features I want except for the sliding arm rest and split folding rear seats. Hardly a deal breaker.

I always wanted a 3 Series and I can't wait to drive it home.

Time flies fast, my 320i turned three years old today. Passed its first MOT without any issues and hopefully I’ll still be driving around in it for many years to come.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
This year has been good for getting mileage out of my CPO warranty. Got the radiator and oil filter housing gasket replaced earlier (separately). It's currently getting the valve cover gasket replaced. I could smell a bit of superheated or slightly burned oil, and my guess was right.

CPO ends in 4 days. :D

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Alarbus posted:

This year has been good for getting mileage out of my CPO warranty. Got the radiator and oil filter housing gasket replaced earlier (separately). It's currently getting the valve cover gasket replaced. I could smell a bit of superheated or slightly burned oil, and my guess was right.

CPO ends in 4 days. :D

What's your mileage?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

What's your mileage?

88k.

Even just doing daycare and one grocery trip a week I'm still around 200 miles a week while wfh. But, those are the three usual suspects to a higher mileage BMW, so having them all under CPO is pretty great.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
2010 refresh 4runners look to be no jokes more expensive than 2010 cayennes.

Prior body style cheaper though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

On a scale of 0-11 what is the maintenance nightmare level on a 2011-2014 7 series with ~75,000 to 95,000 miles

Last time I looked at the 7 series, was mid-1990s models back in ~2009 and the wiring had about a 10 year lifespan before everything would short out etc. The wiring loom in my 15 year old 5 series got brittle during a freeze and caused the insulation to fail (my guess) and drain the battery pretty quickly. But materials science has improved(?) dramatically(?!) since 1994...

Also is there any downside to getting a Li (long wheelbase) model? Besides trying to park it in the city? Li seems to just give you more space in the backseat, is that correct? Getting an Li edition doesn't seem to have any significant impact on price at this segment from what I can tell.

Ok so we ended up with an F10 535i and it's basically a mini 7 series with all the features. The problem is that getting the kid in and out of the car seat is a nightmare and can't really recline the seat more than an inch

For about the same price we found a G12 740Li with half as many miles with all the features our fancy pants 5 series has, plus it has a second sunroof, power (instead of manual) side/rear sunshades and auto parking, plus you can almost fully recline even with the car seat behind you. Oh and it has ride height adjust for nosing over steep inclines to avoid high centering. The rear door has acres of space, plus the cabin roof is high enough that you're not hunched down trying to strap the kid in, you just have to tilt your head slightly which improves the ergonomics significantly. Oh and it has heated steering wheel and ventilated (in addition to heated) seats

It has the B58B30M0 engine which, I believe is slightly less of a maintenance nightmare than the N60 series

Only issue I can see is that dust has somehow accumulated inside the adaptive LED headlights, I haven't read up on how to solve this problem or if it's even a problem. I've never seen dust inside any other bmws lamp casing before

The plan would be to sell it before we hit 100,000; or when something super expensive breaks on it

We tried out the auto park in some random apartment complex near the dealer lot, wow that's just magic. Wife hates parking our current car due to our cramped parking space so that's a big selling point for her

Edit: N60, not M60

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 20, 2020

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Auto parking is a feature that I laughed at on my KIA, but I use it pretty much every time I park now because it just does it perfectly 99/100, with not risk of curbing the wheels.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Auto parking is a feature that I laughed at on my KIA, but I use it pretty much every time I park now because it just does it perfectly 99/100, with not risk of curbing the wheels.

What happens in the 1/100? Curbed wheels?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

What happens in the 1/100? Curbed wheels?

Nah, it just overestimates the gap size and I have to abort. It's almost always due to really wonky parking on behalf of the car in front / back of the space so it gets a bit confused.

Edit: How's the E10 as a drivers car? Specifically with the M10B20 engine.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 21, 2020

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's the dealer replacement cost on a ceramic Idrive button with the built in touch screen

Looks like the part itself is $400 for the plastic edition, then it's got to be what $700 in labor to pull apart the center console

Car is currently under warranty but a quick Google shows that the ceramic Idrive button is a wear item. Seems like a $1500 replacement total cost at the dealership

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Hadlock posted:

What's the dealer replacement cost on a ceramic Idrive button with the built in touch screen

Looks like the part itself is $400 for the plastic edition, then it's got to be what $700 in labor to pull apart the center console

Car is currently under warranty but a quick Google shows that the ceramic Idrive button is a wear item. Seems like a $1500 replacement total cost at the dealership

I couldn't tell you the customer cost but I guarantee the technician gets paid no more than 2 hours flat rate for 4 hours of fumbling with interior pullers and broken unseen fasteners.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Only in BMW-ville is the main system controller a ‘wear item.’

*cries in ceramic iDrive controller

*is happy its a lease and in 2 more years its someone else’s problem

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BMW is pretty bad about ownership costs, but I refuse to believe the idrive controller isn't covered under warranty. What's wrong with yours?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Also it's ceramic hahahahahahaha

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KillHour posted:

BMW is pretty bad about ownership costs, but I refuse to believe the idrive controller isn't covered under warranty. What's wrong with yours?

Yeah it is covered under warranty, the concern is this particular controller is 41 months old, warranty expires in 7 months, and we plan on keeping the car for another 120 months which comes out to about $6000 in repair costs to do mundane poo poo like use the navigation system. We got lucky that it failed at 41 and not 49 months. Actually we got really lucky that it failed at 49,650 miles and not 50,001 miles

What's wrong with it is the down press ("mouse click") of the button is on the fritz only works about 30% of the time

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Your mistake was planning to keep a BMW for 14 years.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
the gently caress would you want a ceramic knob. Aluminum weight savings you fools.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Yeah it is covered under warranty, the concern is this particular controller is 41 months old, warranty expires in 7 months, and we plan on keeping the car for another 120 months which comes out to about $6000 in repair costs to do mundane poo poo like use the navigation system. We got lucky that it failed at 41 and not 49 months. Actually we got really lucky that it failed at 49,650 miles and not 50,001 miles

What's wrong with it is the down press ("mouse click") of the button is on the fritz only works about 30% of the time

Should have bought a Lexus.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Shoulda bought a Tesla

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Very happy to have a 2006 model with no map screen to go obsolete.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Hadlock posted:

what in the goddamn gently caress, lol

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Broke: indestructible plastic buttons that last until the end of time on literally any other car, truck, or Nintendo 64 controller and cost three dollars to replace and only cripple one thing if they break

Woke: 400 dollar ceramic button designed to wear out in four years and incapacitate dozens of vehicle functions

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

To be fair the car has a functional touchscreen, as a backup, I guess; although the number of times I've used the touchscreen feature on our current car probably numbers around 3:

1: is this really a touch screen? I should test it
2: crap I forgot, did they introduce touch after our model? Only one way to find out
3: ??? Can't actually remember using it a third time, Idrive button is way more convenient

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 26, 2020

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Chrpno posted:

Very happy to have a 2006 model with no map screen to go obsolete.

Same. It took me close to a year ro find a first gen 135i that had no iDrive, a manual transmission and hadn't been modified. I'm glad I stuck to my guns. My car has zero screens just a LCD display for the radio and temperature and everything is done through buttons and switches you don't need to look at to operate. My giant rear end new phone fiits perfectly in the ashtray also.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

When do bmw screens stop getting live traffic stuff? We had to go from the bay area today past sacramento and even though it's a 2013 model it told us about some hell traffic jam and routed is north of Davis, the computer must be 7-8 years old

It still has all the gas stations and all but the very newest streets in my in-laws subdivision etc

TL;DR maybe in like 2008-2011 I would have died on the no screen hill but other than the ceramic button, that whole system may actually be the most reliable part of the whole vehicle. We've spent probably 3 months cumulatively test driving different bmw and that's the one thing that never breaks

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
did chris die of covid while locked up for going 100 in his M235i? who gets the gloves in a case like this, the state?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Let's all laugh at this person trying to get a 60 month loan on a new M4 with a 50% balloon payment.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1784837

Bruh, you can't afford that car. Get a 2.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cheaper than an Altima.

Also enjoyed this "I don't have 31k at the moment"

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I probably sound like a bumpkin here, but I live in the country and buy my cars off marketplace. But do y'all seriously sign up to a deal where you're only allowed to drive 10000 miles a year? That is a major blow to freedom

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Hadlock posted:

When do bmw screens stop getting live traffic stuff? We had to go from the bay area today past sacramento and even though it's a 2013 model it told us about some hell traffic jam and routed is north of Davis, the computer must be 7-8 years old

It still has all the gas stations and all but the very newest streets in my in-laws subdivision etc

Mine stopped getting live traffic after the two year mark when my subscription to their live traffic service expired. :sigh:

I don't drive in enough traffic for it to be worth it. And as much as I like the built in navigation, if I'm driving in a big city, I have my phone and Maps or Waze going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

James Woods posted:

Same. It took me close to a year ro find a first gen 135i that had no iDrive, a manual transmission and hadn't been modified. I'm glad I stuck to my guns. My car has zero screens just a LCD display for the radio and temperature and everything is done through buttons and switches you don't need to look at to operate. My giant rear end new phone fiits perfectly in the ashtray also.

I don't know how many 2013 135i they made without iDrive but I'm lucky enough to have one. Probably the last BMW sold without the infotainment system