Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Here's my guide: Just watch em. Good with the bad. Don't skip something because someone said it sucks. And most definitely don't just skip to season 3 like some people suggest. There are great episodes in every season.

I cannot, in good faith, allow anyone to waste their time watching Shades of Gray. Nor I can I be bothered to remember how they spell Gray in the title.

RIKER GETS JABBED WITH A THORN THAT CAUSES A CLIP SHOW FROM THE LAST TWO SEASONS. There, I saved you 45 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

my watch guide is binge the whole series and finish your drink whenever they go to a reaction shot to throw to commercials

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

WE HAVE TO MAKE RIKER REMEMBER MEMORIES!!!

Good thing he only remembers the last two years, so he doesn't remember anything we didn't already see LAST WEEK.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

*concerned Troi face*

Can you tell what episode of the entire corpus of Star Trek is my least favorite? I've seen literally one episode of Picard and zero Discovery, yet I'm still pretty sure where it falls on the list. Still dead loving last.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

hes got one of those ariam brain things. but its the budget model so he only gets the standard def syndicated versions of his own memories

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
hot take: Shades of Grey isn't actually that bad because it at least has clips from better episodes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Here's my guide: Just watch em. Good with the bad. Don't skip something because someone said it sucks. And most definitely don't just skip to season 3 like some people suggest. There are great episodes in every season.

wtf who would ever say to skip season 3? That and 4 are the best seasons of the show

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

nobody said that, multijoe

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
my guide is a lot of the episodes people say are the best/classics are kinda lame, and a lot of random episodes throughout the seasons actually rule so yeah watch them all

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

multijoe posted:

wtf who would ever say to skip season 3? That and 4 are the best seasons of the show

No one says to skip season 3, but a lot of people say things like "Season 1 and 2 suck, so just start at 3" when 1 and 2 have a few of the best episodes in the series.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cojawfee posted:

No one says to skip season 3, but a lot of people say things like "Season 1 and 2 suck, so just start at 3" when 1 and 2 have a few of the best episodes in the series.

Indeed. Suggesting that, to pick just two, you should skip Q Who and Measure of a Man shows v poor taste and decision making

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tighclops posted:

hot take: Shades of Grey isn't actually that bad because it at least has clips from better episodes

I like that their attempts to beat the virus are "Make him remember happy times. Ok that didn't do anything make him remember being horny. Ok that didn't work. Made it worse. What if he were mad? Ok that slowed the virus. I know, make him remember all the times he got his poo poo kicked in. By God he's cured!"

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I started TNG for the first time ever a month ago and used a watch guide for the first two seasons and came back later, turned out almost every episode I skipped was still pretty good anyway. Listen to this person! Don’t end up like me!!!

e: watch guides are, like everything else, an evil Romulan plot.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Sash! posted:

*concerned Troi face*

I’m still in the midst of TNG but it seems like most writers don’t know what to do with her. It reminds me of that line in the book Starship Troopers about how the government (of the story) will find something useful to do, so even if you were blind and deaf they’d have you count the legs on centipedes or something like that.

Troi is clearly in the Star Trek version of that job. I’m pretty sure at this point this whole loving thing is an elaborate ploy to hide the fact that she does not actually have any Betazoid empathic ability cause she’s adopted or something.

“Hey guys I’m stuck here on the Enterprise this week and I must state explicitly that I refuse to tell you anything because I am a prisoner / doing business negotiations / claim to be a time traveling professor.”

“I sense this man is hiding something.”

E: I was gonna write a post about how Troi and Data are basically antithetical to each other but I’m not smart enough to make it interesting. An artificial person who is so perfect a simulation and so good the difference is moot, and someone who probably isn’t what she says she is, except in episodes with energy beings or whatever. They also have opposite writing problems: Data solves every problem he comes into contact with instantly, to the point where my wife and I observed Data being shut off is now a prelude to an existential threat to the Federation. Troi was briefly in command of Enterprise and saved them by doing nothing. I hope she gets something useful to do later.

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 11, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Season one has no non-skippable episodes. Season 2 is legitimately good with a few glimpses of greatness though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rob Rockley posted:

I’m still in the midst of TNG but it seems like most writers don’t know what to do with her. It reminds me of that line in the book Starship Troopers about how the government (of the story) will find something useful to do, so even if you were blind and deaf they’d have you count the legs on centipedes or something like that.

Troi is clearly in the Star Trek version of that job. I’m pretty sure at this point this whole loving thing is an elaborate ploy to hide the fact that she does not actually have any Betazoid empathic ability cause she’s adopted or something.

“Hey guys I’m stuck here on the Enterprise this week and I must state explicitly that I refuse to tell you anything because I am a prisoner / doing business negotiations / claim to be a time traveling professor.”

“I sense this man is hiding something.”

The original idea with Troi was that aliens would be more alien and that she'd be advising the captain on all this weird alien psychology and understanding other species, but when they gave her powers it meant all the writers just never had her do anything but go 'I sense... deception' and also they made most aliens basically humans in foreheads that data reads a quick wiki summary of in the briefing room.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

cheetah7071 posted:

Season one has no non-skippable episodes. Season 2 is legitimately good with a few glimpses of greatness though.

I mean...I guess you could skip Encounter at Farpoint, Heart of Glory, or Datalore. You might get more or less confused later though.

Also nobody should skip Arsenal of Freedom or Hide and Q, those are classic screwball trek.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
That ^ and

cheetah7071 posted:

Season one has no non-skippable episodes.

Where else can you see pre-picard Picard and the battle bridge?

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

MikeJF posted:

The original idea with Troi was that aliens would be more alien and that she'd be advising the captain on all this weird alien psychology and understanding other species, but when they gave her powers it meant all the writers just never had her do anything but go 'I sense... deception' and also they made most aliens basically humans in foreheads that data reads a quick wiki summary of in the briefing room.

Yeah I edited to share observation about how she and Data are totally opposite characters. Data is perfect to the point where any actual threat requires him to be shut off at the beginning of the episode lmao.

In another Obvious Romulan Plot episode, Data says something like “Boy, this doesn’t make sense. I wish I had the human quality of ‘intuition’ so I could follow my ‘gut feeling’ on why this doesn’t make sense.”

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
so ive been watching tng over the past few months with my gf who has never seen/isnt interested in trek, and tbh ive only seen a few random episodes before too

she just started watching with me at first so she could kind of laugh at it, and i showed her a lot of the most recommended/highly rated one offs, most of which she didnt care about

but just watching it in order has gone really well and she unironically really enjoys the show

some small, maybe fun, observations we've made, inspired by the above posts

- troi is useless lol. she just says what emotion someone was obvious showing. but its really funny once you start noticing this. we just watched the episode where shes stuck with obrian and ensign ro on the bridge and becomes acting captain, and she doesnt know anything.

- data is too useful, to an extent that almost makes some episodes boring. but he's a great/fun character, so its not the worst thing. but he's kind of like the goku of star trek. everyone else is just trying to hold stuff off until data can come and save the day.

- people get kidnapped/held hostage constantly. i think my gf got onto this fact within the first few episodes we watched, but she was like, 'someone is getting kidnapped AGAIN!?' and shes dead right

- riker is constantly grinning in the background. everytime he shows up and something weird/fun is happening, hes just there, making his dumb face. it RULES.

- picard is kind of too good. his character flaw is like... hes bad with children? but even then, he can get over that within an episode. hes such a good leader in basically every way that its kind of sad because there are so few of these people where they are needed in real life.

- episodic shows are so refreshing compared to modern serialized dramas. you can just chuck on an episode and enjoy it. its so relaxing and comfy and easy. what do we have now like this, crime procedurals? bring this poo poo back. i guess the orwell is like this? but i havent finished tng yet.

there was a couple other things i had thoughts about but i forgot. great show so far anyway.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BB2K posted:

- picard is kind of too good. his character flaw is like... hes bad with children? but even then, he can get over that within an episode. hes such a good leader in basically every way that its kind of sad because there are so few of these people where they are needed in real life.

You're sort of in a box when it comes to his character. He's supposed to be the best of the best of the best who is in charge of the best of the best of the best of the best. He almost has to be a flawless philosopher-king.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

IMO picards shtick is that he’s basically the most even keeled dude in the galaxy. He’s basically a zen master. Just insanely balanced and focused 100% of the time.

Nearly every episode had two factions fighting each other all like “Blargh we will never make peace with the stinking Limburgians!” or whatever, and the other guys go “Well we hate you equally as much, no compromise is possible!!!” And picards all “let’s focus on the common ground here.” Every goddamn time. He’s got a healthy amount of detachment. He’s perpetually the adult in the room, focused on getting through this weeks problem.

Except for the first couple seasons where he’s loving bipolar and basically hazes Wesley lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean it's true that they never figured out what to do with Troi

almost the same thing happened on DS9 with Jadzia Dax. She got a little bit more interesting later in the show when Worf shows up but she's probably the blandest main character on that show.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Rob Rockley posted:

IMO picards shtick is that he’s basically the most even keeled dude in the galaxy. He’s basically a zen master. Just insanely balanced and focused 100% of the time.

Nearly every episode had two factions fighting each other all like “Blargh we will never make peace with the stinking Limburgians!” or whatever, and the other guys go “Well we hate you equally as much, no compromise is possible!!!” And picards all “let’s focus on the common ground here.” Every goddamn time. He’s got a healthy amount of detachment. He’s perpetually the adult in the room, focused on getting through this weeks problem.

Also, if you push him too far he'll tag you with a crossbow and leave you for dead.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Delsaber posted:

Also, if you push him too far he'll tag you with a crossbow and leave you for dead. to be slowly disintegrated by a life-destroying radiation field.

Picard is hardcore.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I'm currently mid season 2 and have enjoyed pretty much everything so far. I've never understood the idea of watch lists.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Boxturret posted:

I'm currently mid season 2 and have enjoyed pretty much everything so far. I've never understood the idea of watch lists.

It's just nerds trying to control other peoples' experiences so those people don't think badly of their favorite properties.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Must prevent people from seeing measeure of a man!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Rob Rockley posted:

Except for the first couple seasons where he’s loving bipolar and basically hazes Wesley lol

He's the guy who can't seem to break or lose composure, the one who can take charge no matter what is happening.

As a result, he also doesn't have a lot of strong relationships. He's everyone's boss and has to seem like he knows what he's doing. It's a pretty lonely character.

Boxturret posted:

I think some of it just comes from coming across episodes over and over again on syndication. I watched most of my star trek as a kid on tv on reruns after school, and there's definitely a lot of season 1 tng episodes that I remember by remembering being disappointed about seeing on TV. Seeing that Angel One is airing means I won't be able to see the better seasons and episodes for a long time, and it means I had to see the clunky season 1 and 2 episodes over and over again.

Nowadays I like all episodes more evenly. There's never going to be more TNG made, so you gotta embrace what's there, and appreciate the less-good with the great.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

piratepilates posted:

He's the guy who can't seem to break or lose composure, the one who can take charge no matter what is happening.

As a result, he also doesn't have a lot of strong relationships. He's everyone's boss and has to seem like he knows what he's doing. It's a pretty lonely character.

That's why Lwaxana was more fun than people give her credit for - she throws Picard for a hell of a loop a few times.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That's why Lwaxana was more fun than people give her credit for - she throws Picard for a hell of a loop a few times.

The Shakespeare battle in Menage A Troi is loving great. It's the one from the Picard Song. Especially the final seconds of the episode. "Mister Crusher, set course for Betazed... Warp 9." And just the smirk that Wil Wheaton gives :discourse:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

BB2K posted:

- people get kidnapped/held hostage constantly. i think my gf got onto this fact within the first few episodes we watched, but she was like, 'someone is getting kidnapped AGAIN!?' and shes dead right

Never show her Enterprise then. It might have been years ago in this thread, but I remember someone counting the number of episodes where Archer is captured/imprisoned/held hostage and it comes to nearly a full season's worth, literally a fourth of the entire series! Some of those episodes even aired back-to-back!

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I definitely pointed it out after I saw the episode where he got kidnapped by Mr. Krabs, but I didn't compile a list.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Boxturret posted:

I agree mostly, but there also is like 8 billion episodes of Star Trek across the series, so I can understand people wanting to get the essence of the show without watching 160+ eps.

The big downside to people watching by episode guides is if you want to go back and watch what you skipped, you have to trudge through the generally lower quality episodes without having any great ones left to break it up.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm watching TSO for the first time. Mirror World is cool. It's nice to see Kirk causing the rise of the Bajorans 100 years later

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's just nerds trying to control other peoples' experiences so those people don't think badly of their favorite properties.

I'm pretty sure its the other way around. Less "You want to watch my favorite show? Make sure you don't watch all of it." and more "You don't want to commit to watching well over a hundred hours of TV? Try just the tip this shorter list and nine months from now you'll have a baby be shitposting on the forums."

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Watch every episode, but feel free to stop watching if it's bad.

You can always tell from the cold open whether an episode is worthwhile.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That begs an interesting question - what Trek episode has the biggest disparity between cold open hype, and rest of the episode disappointment?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

HD DAD posted:

That begs an interesting question - what Trek episode has the biggest disparity between cold open hype, and rest of the episode disappointment?

Probably this one

https://youtu.be/LwDAiAKhsCs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

HD DAD posted:

Honestly? BoBW Part 2.

Look, it is the best two-parter and arguably the best TNG episode. But, once the recap is up and NOW THE CONCLUSION!!!...it sort of fizzles instantly. Much like the Enterprise's attack. I remember the summer and the super-hype for it, but there's sort of this moment where they're starting the firing sequence and (even as a child) you're like "wait...if this works, then there's no episode."