Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

English: "Oh God we haven't finished that poo poo yet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I really want to try this game when it comes out, but the focus on era achievements sounds terrible. The era scoring system is BY FAR the worst part of Civilization VI.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

I really want to try this game when it comes out, but the focus on era achievements sounds terrible. The era scoring system is BY FAR the worst part of Civilization VI.

Having played it/heard a lot from the VIPs who have access to testing builds a bit they're very different systems. You aren't penalized with some sortve Dark Age for failing to hit some arbitrary score threshold.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I'm guessing the USA, USSR, PRC, Germany, India, Japan, Brazil are slam dunks. Not sure who the last three will be though. Maybe Pakistan and Saudi Arabia? UK, France and Turkey are also available.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
USA, China and Soviets have been vaguely hinted at to some degree. Germany & the UK etc don't work because they haven't done same named cultures back to back and say they're avoiding much repetition and those are all Industrial ones already.

My guess list is something like those three, + Modern Egypt, India, Japan, Brazil, Nigeria, Ethiopia and ??? idk maybe Australia.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Might they do a Saudi Arabia?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

maybe an european union civ instead of any specific european countries? feels fitting for the game

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Man I would love that but it would be far too controversial for a French developer to pull that off

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Not sure how I feel about cultures like "USA", "USSR", "PRC" - those seem to be less cultures and more combinations of cultures and specific government types.

Does this game actually do Civ-style government types, though? It'd be weird to see monarchist USSR, for example.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I feel like modern political entities such as USA, USSR, PRC and so on would probably be better modeled by having you choose to stay the industrial-era Russian, French, Americans etc. cultures into the final era with a unique bonus of some kind for not swapping.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The usual thing about this is its cultures not political entities you pick, its not "USA" or "People's Republic of China" you're picking its "Americans" and "Chinese" and both of those work fine in the period of approx 1920-2020. Soviets work because it was a distinctive period of cultural and social transformation distinct from Tsarist Russia before it, just as 1950s-60s-70s etc America is different from 18th Century Britain or 19th America.

Gort posted:

Does this game actually do Civ-style government types, though? It'd be weird to see monarchist USSR, for example.

It has this going on https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/blogs/737-humankind-feature-focus-07-civics-and-ideologies

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Gort posted:

Not sure how I feel about cultures like "USA", "USSR", "PRC" - those seem to be less cultures and more combinations of cultures and specific government types.

Will you play as California in the Information era 🤔

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Will you play as California in the Information era 🤔

Kinda wish they'd go a bit silly with it, like Call to Power.

Genetic Age civs:

Lunar Coalition
Federal Republic of Atlantis
Pacifica
United States of EurAsiAfricAmerica
Free Martian Colonies
Empire of Andorra

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Has there ever been a Civ clone to actually compete with Civilization like Forza did with Gran Turismo?

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

punk rebel ecks posted:

Has there ever been a Civ clone to actually compete with Civilization like Forza did with Gran Turismo?

People have tried, but the option to really fight Civ and take it's place as the TBS History game has only come from Civ5/Civ6 being seen as failures in the hardcore players scene.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This four hour countdown just popped up.

https://twitter.com/humankindgame/status/1337084714180612097

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Has there ever been anything good at the end of countdown?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Idk but this one has nice music when I was looking for something relaxing so I’m going to enjoy it anyway

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Appears to be another art stream so far, with some sick soundtrack accompaniment and (so far) no discussion going on.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Looks like it’ll be some sort of TGA thing. Which starts in...2.5 hours I think?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Horatio in Smash Bros.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
https://endlessdungeon.game/

quote:

Discover Amplitude's latest roguelite tactical action game set in the awarded Endless universe. Recruit a team of shipwrecked heroes, plunge into a long-abandoned space station, and protect your crystal against never-ending waves of monsters… or die trying, get reloaded, and try again.

It's Dungeon of the Endless except action game. The title is... maybe not the best? But I guess there's not much they can do.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah I feel like they could just call it Dungeon of the Endless 2 or something. But hey, DotE was weird and cool, so I'm at least interested in seeing what this is. I wonder how many games are currently in feverish development trying to copy the Hades formula, and if this ends up being one of them.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Wup, looks like there was something for Humankind afterall.

- April 22nd is the release date

- Anyone who has preordered on Steam will get access to a new OpenDev from December 15th-28th. Sounds like the biggest one so far, spanning 4 eras and 40 cultures.

- Also a silly, but kind of cute, new trailer. Though I still don't really get what they're going for marketing wise so far.

Anno fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 11, 2020

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That was fun. I'm glad they've embraced the fundamental silliness of the Aztecs constructing the Eiffel Tower in London having captured it from the Zulu.
I wonder if the game itself will lean into this a bit more; it all looks terribly serious so far.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Tree Bucket posted:

That was fun. I'm glad they've embraced the fundamental silliness of the Aztecs constructing the Eiffel Tower in London having captured it from the Zulu.
I wonder if the game itself will lean into this a bit more; it all looks terribly serious so far.

The ingame narration for the Civic decisions and other stuff is riddled with sardonic jokes and snarky barbs, so they seem to lean into the game having a sense of whimsy and humour to it while at other times being... I've lost the appt descriptor for how I'd describe the feel fo the game's setting/enviroment and aesthetics so far.

Luminescent yet Austere. Yeah I'll go with that.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Anno posted:

Wup, looks like there was something for Humankind afterall.

- April 22nd is the release date

- Anyone who has preordered on Steam will get access to a new OpenDev from December 15th-28th. Sounds like the biggest one so far, spanning 4 eras and 40 cultures.

- Also a silly, but kind of cute, new trailer. Though I still don't really get what they're going for marketing wise so far.

Okay I love that trailer, now I'm excited about the game again.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Lottt of fuckin neo nazis in the comments of that trailer.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

massive spider posted:

Lottt of fuckin neo nazis in the comments of any YouTube video ever.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The degree of African culture related options relative to everything has me a tad disappointed so far but I do at least appreciate that Amplitude *really* is leaning hard into the fact forming a Franco-Nubian or Anglo-Axsumite Empire out of your culture picks is a still a thing with the core mechanics of the game and that this makes the racists mad is good and cool.

This game is gonna get review bombed though I suspect, and that's gonna be less funny.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Are vegetarianism and currency abolition things you can do?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Gort posted:

Are vegetarianism and currency abolition things you can do?

I fully suspect those sort've things will appear as civic and quest decisions, yeah, given how diverse the options we've seen are.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

i for one can't wait to ban the automobile in favor of trains

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I didn't see any neo-nazi stuff in the comments, but admittedly, I'm not obsessed with looking for that kind of poo poo.

That trailer rocked. I'm usually not a fan of humor in games (well, I'm still probably not a fan of humor in games, as it's usually schlocky nerd attempts at being funny, and it gets really old for any game I want to play for any length of time), but that trailer was loving great.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
My knowledge of French humour is limited to Asterix, so as far as I can tell, sardonic yet affectionate retellings of hallowed historical moments are really on-brand for a French game studio. n=2.

Rimusutera posted:

I've lost the appt descriptor for how I'd describe the feel fo the game's setting/enviroment and aesthetics so far.

Luminescent yet Austere. Yeah I'll go with that.

I had to go and play ES2 again for a while after reading that. That game has its problems, but man is it just nice to play, in a flowing sort of way...

Anno
May 10, 2017

There are a new batch of screenshots on the Steam page as well.

Not that it was really ever in doubt, but this seems to confirm USA and PRC and contemporary cultures.

Some other contemporary culture with a fancy globe building EQ?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Anno posted:

Will you play as Disney Corp? 🤔

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Anno posted:

Maybe its a modern day monument? do the bulding models change through the ages?

playing as disney would be cool though

Anno
May 10, 2017

Googling around, the closest I can get is the Ericsson Globe Arena in Sweden, and Sweden would be a pretty good contemporary pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

I didn't see any neo-nazi stuff in the comments, but admittedly, I'm not obsessed with looking for that kind of poo poo.

They seemed to have deleted a lot of it but for a period the entire comment section was full of identical the "We wus kings" memes (its an alt-right meme mocking the idea that black civilizations happened) and "we should have listened to the painter" (Hitler).

Yeah its probably best not to get hung up on neo nazis neo nazing but please don't do the bullshit "well I havent" seen it so you must just be imagining it" thing.