Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

Transcendant Cosmic Being brain: two part adhesives and speed tape

I've seen velcro mentioned for side panels and it seems like a good idea for roadside fuckery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mewse posted:

I've seen velcro mentioned for side panels and it seems like a good idea for roadside fuckery

Panels partially retained by velcro is a thing on several literbikes!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

They were too short :negative:
Grind up, stupid!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

Grind up, stupid!

Lmao

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Phy posted:

Die grinder the hole

This was my thrash metal band's album name.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Phy posted:

Die grinder the hole

That's my safe word

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Yuns posted:

I've never seen DOT4 do that and I've seen stored gasoline do terrible stuff. That is amazing.

Before this the worst I had seen was a color and consistency of Bondo putty in my VFR's hydro clutch (nobody ever changes out that poo poo, what's a hydro clutch? says the PO). That has to be something other than brake fluid.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I once had a CB650 that I traded for a 486 laptop in what might be the worlds greatest swap that had that rock salt brake fluid in it when I got it.

I was like 20 years old at the time so I blew the rock salt out with compressed air, filled it back up and fuckin sent it because I was young, dumb and full of even more dumbness

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Gorson posted:

Before this the worst I had seen was a color and consistency of Bondo putty in my VFR's hydro clutch (nobody ever changes out that poo poo, what's a hydro clutch? says the PO). That has to be something other than brake fluid.

pretty much all the bikes my dad got for free had this

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

'The front brake makes like a clunk sound, but only sometimes??'

Found on this magnum opus:

Two flat tires and you can't quite see it but the chain is resting on the center stand.

The guy rode it here.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Two flat tires and you can't quite see it but the chain is resting on the center stand.

The guy rode it here.

God I bet that sounds like poo poo. I mean, aside from everything else.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

those pimp rear end grips really tie the whole build together tbh

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Aaaaaaaaaaaa

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

God I bet that sounds like poo poo. I mean, aside from everything else.

He wanted me to make it quieter because he didn't expect the straight through potato cannon he stuck on there too be so loud.

And it isn't even very loud, it's just the kind of noise you'd play people in an mk-ultra type of scenario.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

The guy rode it here.

Do customers get a discount when you poo poo talk their vehicles on the internet?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Coydog posted:

Do customers get a discount when you poo poo talk their vehicles on the internet?

they should pay extra for the influencer boost

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm gonna wheelie down the road less traveled here and say that design on the tank is kinda good

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm gonna wheelie down the road less traveled here and say that design on the tank is kinda good

I'm pretty sure the concept, ambition, and budget for the entire build started and ended with that decal.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Lmao not my customer by any stretch thank gently caress.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I didn't get a pic but the edging of the decal is very badly done by hand with a paint brush and alloy silver paint.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I didn't get a pic but the edging of the decal is very badly done by hand with a paint brush and alloy silver paint.
So this guy put in the effort of finding a small paint brush and some paint which wasn't flat black or bedliner. You're trying to put him down but he's actually the intellectual elite of the bike customizers.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How the gently caress do you hear your brake going clunk and not just, y'know, stick your head down and look to see there's an entire bolt missing :psyduck:

What is it anyway, GN125?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

How the gently caress do you hear your brake going clunk and not just, y'know, stick your head down and look to see there's an entire bolt missing :psyduck:

I only have about a year and a half of riding experience, i.e. I'd still consider myself a newbie; the bolt for the caliper wouldn't be the first thing I'd look at if I heard a clunk. I wouldn't notice the bolt missing, I imagine, until I looked at the bike carefully for a while. It took me maybe 15 seconds of staring at that picture Slavvy posted to figure out it was a bolt missing.

The owner of that bike may be a newish rider.

The tyre pressure stuff, however, is completely inexcusable, as is the state of the chain.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
My first major "oh poo poo I hosed up" experience on a bike involved the front caliper bolts backing out on the highway. I kept hearing a clunking from the front wheel, looked down, and there's my caliper banging around, completely detached from the fork.

I'd changed the pads and lines over the weekend and forgot to torque those bolts down. Luckily I had an entire extra front brake assembly that I'd eBayed a week or two prior, caliper bolts included, sitting in a box on the workbench in the garage. Wife brought me the parts and some tools and I put everything back together in the parking lot at work.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I like the “Machine” decal. I’m gonna get one for the Goldwing that says “object”.

“Thing” maybe? Oooh, one in that terrible aliexpress Chinese serif font that says “motorcycle”. Endless possibilities here

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Объект :ussr:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 14, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is clearly labelled as a machine (yeah it's a gn125).

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I like the “Machine” decal. I’m gonna get one for the Goldwing that says “object”.

“Thing” maybe? Oooh, one in that terrible aliexpress Chinese serif font that says “motorcycle”. Endless possibilities here

Let's take this all the way: what's the motorcycle graphic equivalent of a tramp stamp?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Tank pad graphics.

e/ the context really makes this one:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 14, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's live laugh love for men. Extremely cursed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:cursed:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Why do you have to zip up your pants every time you get off that hog, Travis

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I was like 20 years old at the time so I blew the rock salt out with compressed air, filled it back up and fuckin sent it because I was young, dumb and full of even more dumbness
I’ll be honest I would do the same today and I am not young. I just have too much faith in an old Honda, it’ll catch up to me someday.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

One afternoon I noticed my brakes were clunking a bunch. Like, every time I closed or released the brake lever. Couldn't find any fasteners loose, but I could move the pads around with my finger. I thought maybe they had sort of false-brinelled themselves loose somehow, so I got in a new set, only to find my old pads were still plenty meaty and the new pads had the exact same slop. It turns out the 6-pot Tokicos that are stock on the ZRX just kinda do that. They're built so that you can remove a pin and a clip and yank the pads right out the top of the caliper without unbolting it, but one tradeoff is, the pads rattle around on the retainer pin.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah lots of pads will click especially when you roll the bike back and forth, they will smack from one side of the caliper to the other (front to back, I mean)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

When you have floating rotors up there, the whole fuckin thing sounds like a tambourine.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My buddy and I went 50/50 on a Cardo Freecom4+ Duo set and it completely changed our rides together. So nice to be able to talk to each other and bullshit on a ride.

Also doing the twisties with Incubus's Aqueous Transmission playing in my helmet was a transcendent experience. Avoiding metal for obvious reasons, but might give Synthwave a try.

However today I went to update the firmware and the fucker bricked itself :argh:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I got a cardo freecom1 for maximum dad bike podcast listening and realized I really didn't like having music or podcasts in my ears while riding, plus my shiny new arai didn't work so well with it installed. So I installed it on my ski helmet and I like that very, very much

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

I got a cardo freecom1 for maximum dad bike podcast listening and realized I really didn't like having music or podcasts in my ears while riding

This is what I found too, it wasn't fun just really distracting. Whether it was traffic or weekend carving made no difference, I just couldn't get into my happy space with all the noise, I'd much rather just hear the engine.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Agreed, plus when I ride I don't want to be in any way contactable by phone or text. I can't multitask in my car like that so I'm drat sure not going to do it on my bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This isn't the advrider thread and please please source you're quotes.

Now I just wish helmets had room in them for proper speakers.