Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Riddle me this:

Ran out of hydrocortisone OINTMENT yesterday (have suffered with eczema since childhood - just occasional now). I find the cream utterly useless.

Went to Boots (where I normally get it)

pharmacist: "sorry we don't have any, there was a recall on it for some reason".

Went to Superdrug

pharmacist: "sorry you can only get the cream over the counter, the ointment is prescription only." (I've had this response before hence why I go to Boots.)
Moi: "why can I get it without a prescription in Boots but they haven't got any."
Pharmacist: "Dunno, anyway we haven't got any."

Went to independent chemist

pharmacist: "sorry you can only get cream over the counter, the ointment is prescription only." (not tried this pharmacy before, it's at the far end of town.)
Moi: "why can I get it without a prescription in Boots but they haven't got any."
Pharmacist: "I'll prove it to you" - goes to stock - "oh I do have some" - sells it to me.

Cream and ointment are both the same strength, why would one be 'prescription only' (but not really as proven in the third case) and the other not?

Page snipe: 60 - I am 60. "Now we are sixty" is not a book by A A Milne. Would 10 copies of "Now we are six" count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Just Another Lurker posted:

My last item from Amazon.de arrived, nothing more getting ordered unless an Amazon.ie suddenly pops up after brexit (i'm in N.I. and rumours abound but nothing certain).

Did you get the mail from Amazon last week about possible Import Fee charges on items from the UK now?
I post things to both NI and Ireland, my family home house and my current place in the Republic.
I can see them expanding the mainland europe warehouses with more UK items, to get around the charges.
It would be mad not to.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

kingturnip posted:

As long as the bins keep being collected, you could have rape gangs marauding through every major town in the country and most Tory voters would still think Boris is doing a good job

This just reminds me of the Stranger gang from the Inbetweeners.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why does everything come in through Kent anyway, arent there other ports around our 1000s of miles of coastline?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

Why does everything come in through Kent anyway, arent there other ports around our 1000s of miles of coastline?

Shipping stuff from Calais to Inverness is a bit inconvenient.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Page snipe: 60 - I am 60. "Now we are sixty" is not a book by A A Milne. Would 10 copies of "Now we are six" count?

It is a book by Christopher Milne, though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Cream and ointment are both the same strength, why would one be 'prescription only' (but not really as proven in the third case) and the other not?
Use and reactions are usually the reason why. It's possible that someone had a bad side effect from the ointment, or it could be one of those 'everyone knows' things from chemlore.

One weird thing is that 1% hydrocortisone is over the counter but 0.5% is prescription only medicine. The reason for that, apparently, is that the weaker cream is for around your eyes and face and other sensitive areas at the other end, and they don't want people doing that without a doctor knowing.

The end result is that often people just use the 1%, even though they shouldn't, which is worse.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not by A.A.Milne, but there is a "Now We Are Sixty" in a sort of tribute to the original.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

keep punching joe posted:

never knew Dominic Raab was a goon

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Use and reactions are usually the reason why. It's possible that someone had a bad side effect from the ointment, or it could be one of those 'everyone knows' things from chemlore.

One weird thing is that 1% hydrocortisone is over the counter but 0.5% is prescription only medicine. The reason for that, apparently, is that the weaker cream is for around your eyes and face and other sensitive areas at the other end, and they don't want people doing that without a doctor knowing.

The end result is that often people just use the 1%, even though they shouldn't, which is worse.

Can confirm I use the stronger betamethasone on my face when I really shouldn't. But I don't get crappy skin around my eyes these days, just occasionally dry forehead, so hopefully no glaucoma for me :pray:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Not everything comes through Kent but I wonder why the point on our coast that's the shortest distance to mainland Europe and also has a tunnel gets the most traffic. Can't think of any reason.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Did someone a million threads ago recommend Over The Garden Wall? I just binged s01 and it's quite fun.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

These two posts one after the other remind me that there's good eating on a guinea pig, and I suspect clean protein is going to be in short supply...

Perhaps it is time to reintroduce the edible dormouse.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
So how quickly will they rehabilitate Boris if it all goes to poo poo? Will he have to step down as PM and immediately go back to a job in the Telegraph and be on the board of the Privatised rationing company brought in to deal with shortages or will he get the Tony Blair treatment where this farce doesn't even sink him as PM and in ten years time we get people rolling their eyes at us for still bringing up Brexit when they're talking about how Boris was good actually?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Not by A.A.Milne, but there is a "Now We Are Sixty" in a sort of tribute to the original.

Well I never knew that.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Did you get the mail from Amazon last week about possible Import Fee charges on items from the UK now?
I post things to both NI and Ireland, my family home house and my current place in the Republic.
I can see them expanding the mainland europe warehouses with more UK items, to get around the charges.
It would be mad not to.

I checked my emails and couldn't find anything, i had heard the same on reddit i think but have no first hand knowledge.

It would not surprise me if it was implemented, while we belong to the UK a lot of stuff in N.I. will still be under EU regulations.

I have written off the next several months as too helter skelter for such transactions.... no Jan sales for me. :gonk:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Riddle me this:

Ran out of hydrocortisone OINTMENT yesterday (have suffered with eczema since childhood - just occasional now). I find the cream utterly useless.

pharmacist: "sorry we don't have any, there was a recall on it for some reason".

Went to Superdrug

pharmacist: "sorry you can only get the cream over the counter, the ointment is prescription only." (I've had this response before hence why I go to Boots.)

pharmacist: "sorry you can only get cream over the counter, the ointment is prescription only." (not tried this pharmacy before, it's at the far end of town.)
Pharmacist: "I'll prove it to you" - goes to stock - "oh I do have some" - sells it to me.

OTC licenses are mostly a matter of money.
and to be fair to the independent it is literally impossible to order P hydrocortisone ointment and be guaranteed it'll come in as P.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps it is time to reintroduce the edible dormouse.

My exbf from a blockaded land where a state-sponsored terror army only allows a certain number of calories to cross into said land 'farmed' rabbits on his parents' balcony when he got stuck there for 3 years and used to cry every time he had to kill one.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

So how quickly will they rehabilitate Boris if it all goes to poo poo? Will he have to step down as PM and immediately go back to a job in the Telegraph and be on the board of the Privatised rationing company brought in to deal with shortages or will he get the Tony Blair treatment where this farce doesn't even sink him as PM and in ten years time we get people rolling their eyes at us for still bringing up Brexit when they're talking about how Boris was good actually?

You don't hold onto the empty tube of toothpaste and once Boris has finished spurting (a horribly gross image but ohh so apt) he will be discarded and a minty fresh Grove or Sunak slotted into place as the next messiah.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

You don't hold onto the empty tube of toothpaste and once Boris has finished spurting (a horribly gross image but ohh so apt) he will be discarded and a minty fresh Grove or Sunak slotted into place as the next messiah.

It's really annoying that the Tories have stumbled upon the perfect way of staying in power.

The public becomes pissed off at leaders more than parties so if you swap out your leader mid-parliament they get to say "look, I'm new and shiny, and nothing like the last guy. Just give me a chance" and the public fall for it.

Twats.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

And that's why Keir Starmer is 20 points ahead!

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

When will Scotland join the EU? When that happens, wouldn't most issues with the fishing EEZ be resolved?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Did someone a million threads ago recommend Over The Garden Wall? I just binged s01 and it's quite fun.

I watched that when it came out - that's a perfect show to watch now. Lovely and light, nothing poo poo.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Riddle me this:

Went to Superdrug

Ointments are theoretically more potent compared to creams. The oil base means they last longer. Not to any significant extent, and certainly 1% hydrocortisone is so mild as to be safe no matter the preparation. In theory you could hurt yourself with it, but that would literally take Brexit levels of pigheadedness and persistence in stupidity.

It's not a matter of reactivity because the ointments are much less likely to trigger an allergic reaction as they contain far fewer excipients compared to cream (water content means need for more preservatives).

I've not heard of a hydrocortisone shortage, though just a 2 years ago GSK managed to contaminate one of their product lines in their factory which resulted in a loss of supply of Trimovate over a year. The wailing and gnashing of teeth was significant.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Haramstufe Rot posted:

When will Scotland join the EU? When that happens, wouldn't most issues with the fishing EEZ be resolved?

Tomorrow, mate.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Never, no.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gonzo McFee posted:

If you think that No Deal was the aim from the beginning then Boris has delivered and will be a hero. Whether he stays depends on how they can sell it and whether he was a sacrificial lamb to get it done then sack off afterwards.

If No Deal wasn't the aim he won't last long, the knives will be out rapidly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

All the vote leave propaganda talked about a deal. Now brexiteers insist that they never voted for a deal and what they wanted was no deal.
Even when I shove links in front of their faces showing vote leave propaganda talking about deals, they won't have it!
They're impossible to reason with because they're not arguing from a place of logic and reason, pure gut reactions and emotions.

(I don't mean the tory elite and their donors wanting no deal, I'm sure the wealthy want no deal so they can make loads of dosh on the back of chaos.)

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
his appearance in the video doesn't exactly suggest a person filled to the brim with spunk excitement and happiness at having delivered precisely what he wanted, raring to go at a chance to Make Britain Great Again

we'll see i guess

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Lungboy posted:

If you think that No Deal was the aim from the beginning then Boris has delivered and will be a hero. Whether he stays depends on how they can sell it and whether he was a sacrificial lamb to get it done then sack off afterwards.

If No Deal wasn't the aim he won't last long, the knives will be out rapidly.

My prediction is that they will only get rid of Boris immediately if he fucks up the fishing problem.
They don't give a poo poo about NI, trade, or anything else in Brexit. But fishing, the only thing the gammons pretend to really care about with Brexit, if he sells that out he's gone before March.

Otherwise there will be fireworks, flags, and FREEDOM reports in the media every day for the next few month, awhile the slow collapse begins.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

My prediction is that they will only get rid of Boris immediately if he fucks up the fishing problem.
They don't give a poo poo about NI, trade, or anything else in Brexit. But fishing, the only thing the gammons pretend to really care about with Brexit, if he sells that out he's gone before March.

Otherwise there will be fireworks, flags, and FREEDOM reports in the media every day for the next few month, awhile the slow collapse begins.

And the fking stupid 'festival of brexit'. Grrrrrr. Waste of money and a smack in the face for the half of the country that did not vote for this bolx.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
The only tories who will be bitching about no deal brexit after will be the ones that didn't make a killing at the pound dropping.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

happyhippy posted:

The UK, next month:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Brexit was appealing as a point of pride, so they will accept any hardship as long as it can be pinned on the EU punishing us, and it explains why fishing is still such a massive point of contention.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Looks like I will be trading packs of pasta to survive. Joy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Every now and then I remember that Children of Men was set in 2021 and marvel.

Also, COVID might be destroying people's fertility

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Z the IVth posted:

Ointments are theoretically more potent compared to creams. The oil base means they last longer. Not to any significant extent, and certainly 1% hydrocortisone is so mild as to be safe no matter the preparation. In theory you could hurt yourself with it, but that would literally take Brexit levels of pigheadedness and persistence in stupidity.

It's not a matter of reactivity because the ointments are much less likely to trigger an allergic reaction as they contain far fewer excipients compared to cream (water content means need for more preservatives).

I've not heard of a hydrocortisone shortage, though just a 2 years ago GSK managed to contaminate one of their product lines in their factory which resulted in a loss of supply of Trimovate over a year. The wailing and gnashing of teeth was significant.

IMHO and not having anything to do with dermaholiday beyond patients getting skin GvHD, hydrocortisone OTC préparations are basically placebo and if you have anything actually wrong with you you need a prescription for mometasone or something strong enough to actually clear it up. (also not a doctor)

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

knox_harrington posted:

IMHO and not having anything to do with dermaholiday beyond patients getting skin GvHD, hydrocortisone OTC préparations are basically placebo and if you have anything actually wrong with you you need a prescription for mometasone or something strong enough to actually clear it up. (also not a doctor)

I don't think i'd go that far at all. Too many people dismiss OTC medicine out of hand way too often.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A dermaholiday sounds amazing, just peel out of your itchy skin and lie in a saline flotation tank for a few days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also, COVID might be destroying people's fertility

We can only hope