Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

nostrata posted:

Speaking of kids painting miniatures I got a bunch of random cheap goblins and skeletons from reaper to let my youngest paint while I do my orks. Something like 4bucks for 3 figures. She just uses regular craft paints and has a blast.
Lots of really nice looking stuff the last few pages, so allow my 7 year old to bring the bar a little bit lower.

Kids painting minis owns.

My three year old loves to paint and her models are wonderful and get pride of place in my shelf. :colbert:

Also she has nearly finished my bottle of Warlord Purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

jesus WEP posted:

i appreciate than i can be less than surgical cleaning it and it will just keep on trucking. i am way more careful with the sotar

This is my number 1 reason for using and recommending the 105.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

mllaneza posted:

Yes.

I wouldn't let that put anyone off the 105 though, you'll have to do that to any airbrush every so often anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVQdGE7_YQ4

A full takedown/reassembly video is only about 9 or 10 minutes.

e. I got mine in May of this year.

Wait, there's supposed to be an O ring between part "A" and the body? Is that what I'm seeing?

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Funzo posted:

Wait, there's supposed to be an O ring between part "A" and the body? Is that what I'm seeing?

Mine definitely doesn't have (never had) one.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Bucnasti posted:

I'm curious when those of you having problems with your Badger's bought your brushes?

Badger used to have an excellent reputation for QC, but since the birthday sales started I've heard lots of people having troubles with them.

I got mine in late September/early October.

It was a bit of a pain, but that was me being chicken poo poo about tearing it down and becoming comfortable with it. Since then, I've done a couple full break downs, thorough cleans and lubes, and its response to this care is great. It works soo much better, but still has the bubble problem, but it doesn't really interfere with the actual paint application, so I don't get bothered by it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What kind of lube does one use on an airbrush, and where do you apply it exactly? I'm thinking I should probably do a full tear-down of my Sotar for a good maintenance session. I maintain it fine I think but after a year maybe it's time.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Muzzle flash termimator turned out so well I immediately started another, this time with a weaker blue light from his power sword.

You are doing the god-emperor's work. Only time I tried OSL was on some terrain with plasma generators, and it worked okay. You do it really well.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Furism posted:

What kind of lube does one use on an airbrush, and where do you apply it exactly? I'm thinking I should probably do a full tear-down of my Sotar for a good maintenance session. I maintain it fine I think but after a year maybe it's time.

I use badgers regdab, or hoppes gun oil, but I don’t see why any light machine oil like 3 in 1 wouldn’t work fine.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

I used these decal sheets. I must've seen someone recommend these at some point, because I copied the link to my notes and came across it again a few weeks back. Here's the packaging/instructions, in case you're curious:

Printing off the decals was a cinch. Didn't have to change any of the settings on the printer, just plopped the sheet in there like a normal piece of paper. Unfortunately the color on the decal sheet came out a little darker than my test sheet and darker than the color I was trying to mimic (Vallejo's Bloody Red).

(decal sheet on the left, test sheet on the right; the pauldrons in the middle were some color tests and freehand dicking around I did, but that color red is what I was going for)

I'm not sure if this is because of the printer I used (admittedly not the best), a characteristic of the decal sheet, or if I simply picked a shade that was too dark to begin with. In any event, I didn't have access to image editing software when I printed them off, so I couldn't adjust fire.

Applying the recommended Microscale Liquid Decal Film with a paintbrush is also super easy. It's pretty thick--so much so I was worried it was.going to dry in streaks and globs--but it spreads around really well and dries invisible.

I'm about to head out for the evening, so I'll follow up again tomorrow when I try applying some of these.

Awesome. This is all great and super helpful. Hopefully the decal application ends up going well.

Do you use an inkjet or a laser printer?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Communist Walrus posted:

I'm about to head out for the evening, so I'll follow up again tomorrow when I try applying some of these.

Here's the follow-up. I tried putting one of the arrow symbols on a test pauldron and quickly discovered the ink on the decal sheet is translucent rather than opaque. The result is this:

What was supposed to be red (same color as the design around the edges) turned into purple when placed on the turquoise base color. Turns out I should've bought the white decal sheet rather than the clear one.

E:

AndyElusive posted:

Awesome. This is all great and super helpful. Hopefully the decal application ends up going well.

Do you use an inkjet or a laser printer?

Laser. Not sure if there's an appreciable difference between the two for something like this, but laser is all I have access to.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
After many weeks I've finally finished painting my sphiranx

I really wanted to push myself to the limit with this one and I'm happy I did because imho this is the best I've painted so far. The fur texture was a lot easier than I thought it'd be (not that my terrible lighting and photography does it any favours), and ironically I had to push myself even further and not use any washes because my Vallejo ones are just awful, all glossy and sticky. Also tried to use s75 paints for the first time and boy, when they say matt, they mean matt huh. You can really see the difference on the face compared with everything else. The only part I thought didn't work are the orange gems. I assumed that since orange is so transparent I could just paint grey and white under them and glaze on orange but that didn't really work out. Might go back and change them to blue at some point.

Now to slap some grout on that base (thanks for the advice) and call it a day!

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Are there any good starter paint sets for people living in the UK? Looking at the OP gives me the feeling that I should just pick a colour scheme first and then buy the paints to match, but I'd hate to miss out on a good deal. I've got a load of old warhammer dwarves that I never got round to painting when I was a kid that I've been thinking of taking a crack at.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

JustaDamnFool posted:

Are there any good starter paint sets for people living in the UK? Looking at the OP gives me the feeling that I should just pick a colour scheme first and then buy the paints to match, but I'd hate to miss out on a good deal. I've got a load of old warhammer dwarves that I never got round to painting when I was a kid that I've been thinking of taking a crack at.

The vallejo kits are really good for their money

I got this one and is a nice, general palette to start with that goes a long way. The only problem is that the metallics suck in there, so pick up some GW metallics to supplement it. The white and black help a lot to make other colors too. So if your base coat is blue and you want a light blue highlight, mix a little bit of white with the blue to make sky blue and use that to highlight.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-Mo...07710680&sr=8-9

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Decided to try my hand at painting again after ~15 years. Went a little nuts and did a bunch of Terminator conversions from different sources.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

I got this one and is a nice, general palette to start with that goes a long way. The only problem is that the metallics suck in there, so pick up some GW metallics to supplement it. The white and black help a lot to make other colors too. So if your base coat is blue and you want a light blue highlight, mix a little bit of white with the blue to make sky blue and use that to highlight.

I can vouch for the same one, except the Game Color variant. It seems to be a little more... poppy? Saturated? Than the Model Color variant.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

I can vouch for the same one, except the Game Color variant. It seems to be a little more... poppy? Saturated? Than the Model Color variant.

They actually are more saturated, according to vallejo.

The other kit I was going to suggest was

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acylicos-V...07710680&sr=8-5

but the pink in the picture looks really separated so I was unsure whether to suggest it.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

They actually are more saturated, according to vallejo.

The other kit I was going to suggest was

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acylicos-V...07710680&sr=8-5

but the pink in the picture looks really separated so I was unsure whether to suggest it.

I have this and from experience most of the colours were fine, but several of them, especially the browns, were completely separated straight out of the bottle and basically unusable. The fact that the red looks like pink in that picture seems to suggest it's a widespread problem :v:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Anti-Tachyon posted:

I have this and from experience most of the colours were fine, but several of them, especially the browns, were completely separated straight out of the bottle and basically unusable. The fact that the red looks like pink in that picture seems to suggest it's a widespread problem :v:

Something I've noticed is that the dropper bottle color will look vastly different than the actual paint on a palette once it's properly shaken/mixed

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Hello painting goons. I would like some advice about a miniature I want to get for a Christmas gift- this one in particular. Though any from this series look good (I just happen to know that the recipient likes naked women).

These miniatures come unpainted, and I don't know, nor am I in a position to know what paints the recipient has, though he used to paint things similar to this. I do know he hasn't painted in a while, so it's possible that any paints he does have are dried out. I want therefore, to know if it is feasible to get paints which would be suitable for this on a budget. The guides on this thread seem to suggest mixing different types of £4~ paints to get one particular colour, which suggests to me, that in order to paint a single miniature multiple colours, it would take a lot of money. Is that correct? Or is there a pre-made paint-set that I can buy that would be suitable for this kind of thing?

I can probably get around 5, maybe 6 paints at that price in addition to the model.

It's totally possible that I simply don't have enough money for this gift, which would be a shame, but I'd like to know.

If I don't have enough money, do you guys happen to know about early 20th century/late 19th century, North African miniatures at this size (28mm) which maybe come pre-painted or might be more attainable for me? Most of his stuff is French Foreign Legion, but I bet he'd be happy with anything along that same theme.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Chatrapati posted:

Hello painting goons. I would like some advice about a miniature I want to get for a Christmas gift- this one in particular.

Fuckin yikes :catstare:

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Spanish Manlove posted:

This was the set I started with, I'd recommend it.

I've only ever used the Vallejo model color metallics, so now I'm thinking I need to try out some from GW. Any in particular stand out?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Here's my 3 year old's paint jobs so far on minis, enjoyed seeing ya'lls so I figured I'd post my own.

ed: click for big, I gotta figure out my imgur blockers again

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Fuckin yikes :catstare:

Do you think it's too weird? He has sexy models of women around his living room, so I didn't think it was unsuitable. I thought it was kind of cute in a kitschy way to be honest, but you're the second person I've asked who's had that reaction, so maybe I'll just go with a soldier. :/

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Chatrapati posted:

Do you think it's too weird? He has sexy models of women around his living room, so I didn't think it was unsuitable. I thought it was kind of cute in a kitschy way to be honest, but you're the second person I've asked who's had that reaction, so maybe I'll just go with a soldier. :/

Bro it's called The Slave Market for gently caress's sake. Buy him some anime waifu pillow or something; even that's better than this.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Chatrapati posted:

So my take on it, just looked at it...the nudity is whatever and I don't think anyone here cares (especially since you said they have nudity already in their house). The slavery aspect of the models is the YIKES thing to me. Now yes the listing mentions it's based on a painting (wiki link), but I dunno that I would want to have that in my house and have to explain it and how maybe it's not actually bad.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Chatrapati posted:

It's less about whether it's weird and more about whether it's racist. The painting it's based on comes from a time when Orientalism was all the rage, and one of its big motifs is portraying Middle Easterners as ignorant, unrefined, lustful, and barbarous. Whoever made this appears to have mimicked that same mindset without a second thought. It's bad and you shouldn't encourage more uncritical reproduction of racist worldviews by buying it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Toebone posted:

This was the set I started with, I'd recommend it.

I've only ever used the Vallejo model color metallics, so now I'm thinking I need to try out some from GW. Any in particular stand out?

There's better metallics from other companies, who are relatively cheaper and have way better pots. But here's my experiences:

Leadbelcher is what I consider to be the standard metal paint. It has decent coverage over a black base and looks fine as is for a gunmetal grey. But when washed with nuln oil then drybrushed back up then highlighted with a brighter metal it looks fantastic. It takes washes well and you can create various colored metals with some ink/washes. For example, blue and black ink mixed together and applied very thin can create a blued gunmetal color over this. This paint also drybrushes very well and the pigment doesn't separate when applied with a sponge. The other two colors I have experience with are ironbreaker and runefang steel. Their coverage is worse than leadbelcher so if you want that color it's a lot easier to just do base leadbelcher then drybrush either of them over it. They're really meant for highlights, not a base color. I see a lot of recipes using stormhost silver as the highlight on metals/blacks but i've never used it. I assume it's similar to those others and works well for highlights but isn't a color I'd put on any large surface. Each of them drybrush/sponge well and don't separate out too much, which happens to some gold colors.

Retributor Armor is a commonly used gold. The coverage is sorta eh over black, and a lot of people say to base brown then apply this color. However, it's a little versatile in that it will change flavors depending on what you wash it with. So washing with agrax earthshade (or army painter strong tone) will make it look super worn out and old. Sepia is more of a warmer, neutral gold. A fleshtone wash like reikland flesh-shade will make the color look very vibrant and warm. The other gold colors are nothing to write home about, I have some auric armor gold and the coverage is absolute trash. But it is pretty nice to add some texture on Retributor when sponged on over some washed Retributor. Retributor really doesn't like to be sponged/drybrushed as it seems to separate the metallic parts from the pigments/ink parts of the paint.

Honorable mention for brass/old gold is P3 blighted gold. It's like a blackened bronze, like a really lovely trumpet at a public school's music room. But with some agrax or sepia it's a nice old brass color. Coverage is really good.

I ordered some metallics from Scale75 and they're due in some time next week so I can let you know how they are. I got the gold set and the silver set ordered from spain before I realized that michigan toy company sells them in the US, which is much better idea than ordering from spain as spanish post is trash and spanish customs are extra trash.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 11, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Chatrapati posted:

Hello painting goons. I would like some advice about a miniature I want to get for a Christmas gift- this one in particular. Though any from this series look good (I just happen to know that the recipient likes naked women).

What the hell is this? Why did you think that was an appropriate thing to ask about?

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Fyrbrand posted:

Bro it's called The Slave Market for gently caress's sake. Buy him some anime waifu pillow or something; even that's better than this.

tangy yet delightful posted:

So my take on it, just looked at it...the nudity is whatever and I don't think anyone here cares (especially since you said they have nudity already in their house). The slavery aspect of the models is the YIKES thing to me. Now yes the listing mentions it's based on a painting (wiki link), but I dunno that I would want to have that in my house and have to explain it and how maybe it's not actually bad.

I guess I don't really know how these things go morally speaking. It's not something I have to deal with or think about. I don't know if a soldier is a worse thing than a slaver, but judging from people's reactions I'll probably err towards something safer.

Apparently this company is really bad for deliveries anyway, so I'm going to have to get something from elsewhere anyway.

I'd still like to know whether this is a feasible gift regardless, or whether a larger paint-set is needed to paint a miniature. Is it possible to paint a decent miniature with 5-6 paints?

Spanish Manlove posted:

What the hell is this? Why did you think that was an appropriate thing to ask about?

Honestly, I don't know where else to ask about painting miniatures. Sorry, I didn't realise it would be inappropriate.

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 11, 2020

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Chatrapati posted:

Can you just...not?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Chatrapati posted:

Honestly, I don't know where else to ask about painting miniatures.

OK sure but this is just as weird as going into the carpentry thread in DIY and asking about tips on how to build an S&M dungeon in your basement. (hang the swings from the larger beams, don't anchor them elsewhere)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Chatrapati posted:

I guess I don't really know how these things go morally speaking. It's not something I have to deal with or think about.

You should probably plan about ten more minutes a week to think about topics like "hmm, is sex slavery bad??? lol I don't know how these things go!!!!"

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

OK sure but this is just as weird as going into the carpentry thread in DIY and asking about tips on how to build an S&M dungeon in your basement. (hang the swings from the larger beams, don't anchor them elsewhere)

I don't think it is, but thanks for the S&M tip!

I thought it was innocuous, sorry. I don't really understand the offense, but I am legitimately sorry if I caused it.

Drone posted:

You should probably plan about ten more minutes a week to think about topics like "hmm, is sex slavery bad??? lol I don't know how these things go!!!!"

I mean, killing people is bad, so is fetishisation of colonialism. I don't think people who like these models are advocates of the sort of stuff militaries get up to.

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 11, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Spanish Manlove posted:

And for the love of god, pick a good water-resistant varnish...

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Chatrapati posted:

I thought it was innocuous, sorry. I don't really understand the offense, but I am legitimately sorry if I caused it.

This is maybe something you should work on in life

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Chatrapati posted:

I mean, killing people is bad, so is fetishisation of colonialism. I don't think people who like these models are advocates of the sort of stuff militaries get up to.

Right but there's a difference in perception between a "war is hell" distraught soldier or demon on a pile of skulls as compared to a soldier standing in front of an Abu Ghraib pile of prisoners. It's not really virtue signaling to say that a model set of swarthy dudes in robes and a chained up naked women is a bad thing, that poo poo has more red flags than a semaphore training class. Come on dude.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

This is significantly weirder, an s&m dungeon is something done with consenting adults, and sex slavery is, well, not consenting by definition.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Booley posted:

This is significantly weirder, an s&m dungeon is something done with consenting adults, and sex slavery is, well, not consenting by definition.

Yeah I thought about that afterward and realized it wasn't a fair comparison. But somehow the idea of a Bob Vila sex dungeon how-to show made me laugh so I ran with it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Chatrapati posted:

What you have to understand is that this is a hobby that often attracts people who do fetishize these things, and we all work hard to keep call out those people and keep them away.
You might not have know what you were asking, but to this community you just waved a big rea flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
My friend made me the coolest nurglings of all time with my spare plaugebearer poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha4NQF1vHik