Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

There's a semi-obscure sci-fi comedy series called Avenue 5 that came out almost a year ago. And there's one scene from it that has come to my mind over and over and over since the pandemic started.

The setup: there's a futuristic cruise liner making a trip around Saturn and back, but things have gone horribly wrong. And lately, a rumor has gotten around among the passengers that they aren't even in space at all, that it's all just a trick for some kind of reality show. And so things come to a head near the main airlock...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXaeucDYHo

I would have rolled my eyes at this scene if I hadn't seen it just as everything was blowing up in real life and so many people kept insisting upon being as stupid as was humanly possible.

i bought a month of HBO max so I could rewatch Sopranos and turns out this thing is on there, adding to the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

J.A.B.C. posted:

The problem is that there is a real reckoning on the horizon for places like this.

Climate Change is going to gently caress up crop yields and even make water scarce in small towns across the plains. Covid is already destroying these communities, and the avalanche of bills and debt coming their way is going to crush them. And as more farming moves into the hands of massive businesses, more people are going to be forced out, more of these small towns are going to die out, and the cycle will continue to get worse.

It's already happening. Covid only really sped up the process, but Rural America is dying. And it's going to affect everything from food supply to elections, and there is no good end to it. No matter what road you go down, it ends in dead towns and crushed dreams, futures never pursued because you're stuck in the cycle.

A part of me says 'gently caress em' because they are a hefty part of the reason they are dying in the first place. Another worries about my family, who is still there and doing what they can to keep safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKP1s7lIl_g

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Anyone know who the guy in the pic is?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
isn't that julian from trailer park boys

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Powered Descent posted:

There's a semi-obscure sci-fi comedy series called Avenue 5 that came out almost a year ago. And there's one scene from it that has come to my mind over and over and over since the pandemic started.

The setup: there's a futuristic cruise liner making a trip around Saturn and back, but things have gone horribly wrong. And lately, a rumor has gotten around among the passengers that they aren't even in space at all, that it's all just a trick for some kind of reality show. And so things come to a head near the main airlock...

I would have rolled my eyes at this scene if I hadn't seen it just as everything was blowing up in real life and so many people kept insisting upon being as stupid as was humanly possible.

god dammit i'm trying to finish last kingdom.. now i may have to watch this.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Infomaniac posted:

Anyone know who the guy in the pic is?

It's John Paul Tremblay, who played Julian in Trailer Park Boys (as H.P. Hovercraft noted).
No clue what the point of the image is though. He's alive, his character is alive (although in jail).

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

kupachek posted:

It's John Paul Tremblay, who played Julian in Trailer Park Boys (as H.P. Hovercraft noted).
No clue what the point of the image is though. He's alive, his character is alive (although in jail).

Oh, thanks. It was posted on Twitter, I was trying to figure out what MAGA died. Apparently, it is a reference to a MAGA Twitter account -@JuliansRum- shut down and moving to Parler. I did not go far enough in the replies to get the understand the reference. Doesn't really fit with this thread.

https://twitter.com/elenochle/status/1336848923088932864?s=19

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
All suffering deserves some level of pity but God drat if some people don't make it awfully hard.

It's amazing how whoever made that "me sowing me reaping" meme just completely summed up the last year by accident, Before it even really was relevant.

Eifert Posting has issued a correction as of 14:00 on Dec 10, 2020

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Eifert Posting posted:

All suffering deserves some level of pity but God drat if some people don't make it awfully hard.

It's amazing how whoever made that "me sowing me reaping" meme just completely summed up the last year by accident, Before it even really was relevant.

Suffering deserves pity. Intentionally injuring yourself and a community because you think science and education are "the devil" deserves scorn.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Eifert Posting posted:

All suffering deserves some level of pity

hard disagree

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

indigi posted:

hard disagree

Pity it didn't come sooner?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

Pity it didn't come sooner?

fair.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Eifert Posting posted:

That was some dude several hundred years BCE.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

That was some dude several hundred thousand years BCE.

Galatians 6:8, The Bible posted:

Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I just can't pity them. I try and I can't. And that's a terrible thing to feel as a human being.

They just keep bringing all this hell on themselves. They keep thinking juice will save them, or youth, or conservative death cult politics, or Trump or whomever. And they keep pushing and pushing until they actually, finally suffer the consequences and die and even then the survivors equate taking even the most basic precautions to being imprisoned in a concentration camp.

I don't pity them. They're my brothers and sisters and I honestly hope they all die choking. And that makes me a goddamn broke-brained monster.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Zeroisanumber posted:

I just can't pity them. I try and I can't. And that's a terrible thing to feel as a human being.

They just keep bringing all this hell on themselves. They keep thinking juice will save them, or youth, or conservative death cult politics, or Trump or whomever. And they keep pushing and pushing until they actually, finally suffer the consequences and die and even then the survivors equate taking even the most basic precautions to being imprisoned in a concentration camp.

I don't pity them. They're my brothers and sisters and I honestly hope they all die choking. And that makes me a goddamn broke-brained monster.

More focus needs to be put on the U.S.'s failing mental health institutions, a lot of these individuals would be receiving the care they need if we hadn't shut down all our psychiatric hospitals (and then failed to replace them.)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Zeroisanumber posted:

I've been having this too, but I also imagine that they must have people in their lives who aren't monstrous and aren't indulging in this self-destructive behavior. Family, friends maybe. People who love them and care about them but couldn't figure out how to keep them from losing their minds in all this poo poo. They're going to suffer too and I don't feel very good about that.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Jesus. This is haunting.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

to quote someone in the comments "this show was weeks ahead of its time"

lol

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

doingitwrong posted:

Jesus. This is haunting.

I'm watching the show today thanks to that post and just finished that episode. That doesn't convince them and 2 more groups of people get airlocked before the mob realises the truth. lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

depends on why, tbh. if you want them to die as a punishment, then yeah. if you want them to die so they don’t continue to spread the disease and endanger others, nbd

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
you know who she really voted for

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Taeke posted:

I'm watching the show today thanks to that post and just finished that episode. That doesn't convince them and 2 more groups of people get airlocked before the mob realises the truth. lol
Please tell me that the woman whom keeps unlocking the door takes a trip outside, too.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.thedailybeast.com/new-hampshire-house-speaker-richard-hinch-dies-of-covid-19-one-week-after-being-sworn-in

quote:

Richard Hinch, the newly elected speaker of New Hampshire’s Republican-led House, died of COVID-19 on Wednesday, just one week after being sworn in.

wow what a shame

quote:

On Dec. 2, Hinch attended the swearing-in ceremony for state legislators, where several of his fellow Republicans were seen maskless. Many Democrats didn’t show up to the ceremony, after an unspecified number of Republican members of the legislature tested positive for the virus following an indoor, maskless Nov. 20 caucus meeting at a ski resort. “There are no persons present who either tested positive or who were close contacts,” Hinch said in a statement to the New Hampshire Union-Leader on Dec. 2. “This meeting day is required by the state Constitution, and we were able to get it off the ground while keeping people safe.” Hinch was 71.

looks like it wasn't as safe as you thought :smug:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Taeke posted:

the whole show is willfully ignorant and stupid people getting their comeuppance, it’s biggest flaw is that it’s not nonfiction.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you know who she really voted for

That garden looks dope.

I can only imagine how much water she trucks in in a drought to keep up with Oprah, though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Strong Sauce posted:

god dammit i'm trying to finish last kingdom.. now i may have to watch this.

I enjoyed it, but just don't go in with sky high expectations. It's pretty slow going.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

fondue posted:

Please tell me that the woman whom keeps unlocking the door takes a trip outside, too.

No. One of the people changes their mind at the last moment though, but it's too late. Her hand is shattered on the way out which finally makes everyone realize it's not some clever sfx. :v:

The show really is great. Just a bunch of lovely people being lovely against each other, with everything getting increasingly stupid and lovely as a consequence of their own actions. Literally nobody qualified is in charge because everything is automated so the captain and crew are all dumb actors putting on a show. The actual captain dies in the first episode and the only other qualified people are a bunch of engineers below decks who don't really give a poo poo about all the rich people.

Seriously, it's a great show with great characters that you just love to hate. It was great catharsis from the reality where awful people don't get what's coming to them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Taeke posted:

No. One of the people changes their mind at the last moment though, but it's too late. Her hand is shattered on the way out which finally makes everyone realize it's not some clever sfx. :v:

The show really is great. Just a bunch of lovely people being lovely against each other, with everything getting increasingly stupid and lovely as a consequence of their own actions. Literally nobody qualified is in charge because everything is automated so the captain and crew are all dumb actors putting on a show. The actual captain dies in the first episode and the only other qualified people are a bunch of engineers below decks who don't really give a poo poo about all the rich people.

Seriously, it's a great show with great characters that you just love to hate. It was great catharsis from the reality where awful people don't get what's coming to them.

I just started watching it last night. It is a clinic in how stupid people act in an aggregate, which we're unfortunately seeing firsthand now.

I particularly enjoy how it's the future and you know stuff's changed from the present, but no one is specific on what's changed. Like why does everyone hate everything to do with the British?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/TimFullerton/status/1337420631357485056

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

:sickos:

thank you for this. FINALLY, some dipshit chud at the federal level is getting some pain :dance:

edit: oh it's a state rep :smith:

Mr Interweb has issued a correction as of 20:30 on Dec 11, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

avenue 5 is literally the most accurate and realistic sci fi show ever made. it's also super funny

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
the Avenue 5 scene with the new White House in Buffalo ny and the Other President is also prescient as f

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

also, somehow the lede got buried:

quote:

Byrd, a former teacher and principal, in 2018 was accused by three former students of sexually assaulting them in the 1980s when he coached their girls basketball team at Wayne County High School.

He never publicly denied the allegations, but said he has done nothing wrong while in office.

:barf:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The thing I hate the most about these people is how good they are at tempting me to take pleasure in their suffering.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/alexnazaryan/status/1337475608792748034

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://preview.redd.it/rdp97j1jih461.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=23e168ca4cee6ea7b09310a46ce8b14752bfdb5a

that's some primo dedication to owning the libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pick posted:

avenue 5 is literally the most accurate and realistic sci fi show ever made. it's also super funny

It's also great lock-up quarantine watch since the big theme for the TV show/source of comedy is how the top "upper management" on the spaceship have no clue what they are doing and if anything make a bad situation worse with their attempts to control the situation.