Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm not sure about putting all the turtles in thigh high stockings, but sure.

That's nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I was able to identify Donatello with depressing ease. Donnie you nerd, can't you at least try to look as interesting as the others?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

That's nothing.

I mean, they are Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A female Turtle? The return of Venus?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

A female Turtle? The return of Venus?

Name's Jennika but yes there's a female Turtle now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Name's Jennika but yes there's a female Turtle now.

I'm glad they changed the name, I always thought it was kinda hosed that, after naming the turtles after famous painters they named the female turtle after a famous statue (that's largely famous because she's got her tits out).

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The cool thing is that Jennika didn't come out of nowhere, it wasn't a "bam here's a girl turtle and part of the family now"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah Jennika rules, I'm just minorly distressed at her "sexy" outfit in that issue.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Don't get weird about cartoon turtles, Lurdiak.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

These forums have been down that road with the TMNT before. Let’s not do it again.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The real issue is and will always be that those are actually tortoises. Interestingly enough, the distinction between those two words doesn't exist in German.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

That's nothing.

Who are the others? Is that Ninjala?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Who's the girl with the spikes on the cheeks with the glasses she's got a good look

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

site posted:

Who's the girl with the spikes on the cheeks with the glasses she's got a good look

Looks like the IDW version of Mona Lisa https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/Mona_Lisa_(IDW)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

For gently caress's sake.

There were women painters in the renaissance. Several famous in their own time.

Like, I'd probably know about the painters Michelangelo and Leonardo if ninja turtles hadn't existed, but I'm pretty sure ninja turtles are the only reason I know Raphael and Donatello were painters

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 10, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow. They brought back (sort of) the Mighty Mutanimals.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For reals if you haven’t read it definitely start if you can it’s a fantastic series that has covered so much of the TMNT history and expanded on so much of it. I generally catch up on BBC plumes during IDW holiday sales and it’s been a super fun ride to read (and re-read) in the holidays.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I was kinda hoping fishnets would be Raph or the like. Just "Yeah, I like these clothes, what do you care, most of the time I'm naked except for a mask and belt."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One article of clothing you might think a turtle would avoid is fishnets.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lobok posted:

One article of clothing you might think a turtle would avoid is fishnets.

Also, not as single turtleneck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Wow. They brought back (sort of) the Mighty Mutanimals.

The mighty mutanimal books rule.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

The mighty mutanimal books rule.

Do we have a version of Wingnut and Screwloose?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Skwirl posted:

I'm glad they changed the name, I always thought it was kinda hosed that, after naming the turtles after famous painters they named the female turtle after a famous statue (that's largely famous because she's got her tits out).

I figured it was a turtle joke. You know, Birth of Venus. In a half shell.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Do we have a version of Wingnut and Screwloose?

Yes but they only appear in the Bebop and Rocksteady books.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Yes but they only appear in the Bebop and Rocksteady books.

Source: Bebob And Rocksteady Hit The Road #1

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Reminder of this great moment

Lurdiak posted:

Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything #2

What happens when the two biggest idiots in the world get a time scepter?

And that's just the beginning.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I cannot recommend those books enough.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Reminder of this great moment

Oh my god that's amazing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

I cannot recommend those books enough.

So just start at the first issue and go? (Perhaps ideally waiting for a Comixology sale?)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

So just start at the first issue and go? (Perhaps ideally waiting for a Comixology sale?)

Yeah, it's worth it to see the whole story unfold, though most of the mini series stand on their own if you just want to pick up some random books and go. Except Shredder In Hell I guess, that one really presumes familiarity with that version of the character.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 12, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The collections that are labeled "the IDW Collection vol. #" put the miniseries in where you should read them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Who are the others? Is that Ninjala?

Alopex, who is Raph's fox-ninja girlfriend, so yeah, basically Ninjara with the serial numbers filed off, At least in the broad strokes

And Jennika's turtle design is heavily based on TMNT writer/penciller Sophie Campbell's fan design for a femme turtle that she called Artemisia after Artemisia Gentileschi.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 16, 2020

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Gaz-L posted:

Alopex, who is Raph's fox-ninja girlfriend, so yeah, basically Ninjara with the serial numbers filed off, At least in the broad strokes

And Jennika's turtle design is heavily based on TMNT writer/penciller Sophie Campbell's fan design for a femme turtle that she called Artemisia after Artemisia Gentileschi.

That feels like a way more fitting name than Jennika, to be honest.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
how about Jessifer

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Nilbop posted:

That feels like a way more fitting name than Jennika, to be honest.

Yeah, I wonder if it was a case of IDW not being able to use the name because Sophie used it in her OC first and there could be some weird rights issue or something (not because of the artist of course, but like, legal crap).

So yesterday I bought some comics that had some pages drawn by a friend and another guy I know. When I came home, my Shortbox order was waiting for me and now I have a ton of great comics to read on the christmas break. That was a fun coincidence after a tough week at work.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
My only problem with Artemisia as a turtle name is it's hard to come up with a diminutive that keeps the Leo/Don/Raph/Mike pattern. Maybe I'm dumb, but the best I can manage is 'Missy', I guess?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

My only problem with Artemisia as a turtle name is it's hard to come up with a diminutive that keeps the Leo/Don/Raph/Mike pattern. Maybe I'm dumb, but the best I can manage is 'Missy', I guess?

Arty.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
If I remember correctly, they didn't initially have plans to mutate Jennika, the story just went that way. So her name is just a name, never planned to be compared to the other turtles.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Do we have an IDW Turtles thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vandar posted:

Do we have an IDW Turtles thread?

:justpost: