Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Continuity NIP posted:

How the gently caress are we going to send in gunboats when we don't really have a navy

Who the gently caress is this we you big er... spliter? (need a better word) separatist.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kecske posted:

kuleshov or sergei eisenstein? who i only know about because in some tom clancy book one of the American heroes figures out that Russia is planning to attack the West because they remastered the audio to one of his films.

Eisenstein is the only silent movie director I've actually seen more than clips of. Watched October when the BBC showed it in 2017 for the centenary of the October Revolution. And I feel like everyone must have seen the scene from Battleship Potemkin of the baby stroller going down the Odessa Steps and the massacre by Cossack troops. That image of the woman with the pince-nez just sticks with you.

Man, when film was young it was so exciting. (Like, the fact that directors were also theorists establishing techniques and concepts still used today, like Eisenstein with his ideas of montage being used to give a sense of the power of the masses. Films themselves obviously aren't that exciting in isolation on the whole)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 12, 2020

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Happy 1 year anniversary of the defeat of the traitor Jimminy Croblin, lets look at the list of glorious successes Britain has achieved since then:

- erm
- gently caress

Separatist movements inside England

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if 'separatist' will become the kind of slur again that 'separatista' is now (or that separatist was during Irish Home Rule).

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Frankie Boyle - when Johnson was first running for Mayor of London - described him as the kind of man who in the Victorian era would have died at the age of 32 leading a cavalry charge into an active volcano, and I don't think I've ever heard a better description of him.

That suggests a level of courage and personal responsibility which does not feel accurate.

It gets forgotten because the last few years have been such a grand swathe of events but Bojo is a loving oval office on every single level. He has no moral character, day to day he's just a genuinely nasty bastard, he has no consistent ideological beliefs that might suggest the existence of internal thought/a soul, his mayoralship of London hosed the city up probably permanently for its working class inhabitants, and he's just profoundly weak. He's a slave to booze and coke, he's a slave to establishment capital, he's bizarelly still a slave to an alt-lite base, he's the least capable Prime Minister that has ever been.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lord North might still be worse, depending upon whether Johnson manages to destroy the union or not.

Exciting to be living in times where Lord North is second worst. :geno:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Holy poo poo, that's a great start. The bail and 3 strikes things are good, but the focus on letting off nonviolent offenders also incentivises criminals to try their damnedest not to get the public involved, which increases safety all round.

If he actually has the authority to do all of those things, that's pretty good and not just because it bloodies the nose of the private prison industry.

He's going to get shot, isn't he.

as da he has essentially sole authority for what people get charged with within the justice system under la's purview.

Vitamin P posted:

That suggests a level of courage and personal responsibility which does not feel accurate.

It gets forgotten because the last few years have been such a grand swathe of events but Bojo is a loving oval office on every single level. He has no moral character, day to day he's just a genuinely nasty bastard, he has no consistent ideological beliefs that might suggest the existence of internal thought/a soul, his mayoralship of London hosed the city up probably permanently for its working class inhabitants, and he's just profoundly weak. He's a slave to booze and coke, he's a slave to establishment capital, he's bizarelly still a slave to an alt-lite base, he's the least capable Prime Minister that has ever been.

he's such trash. and his disgusting father's the same

therattle posted:

I’d eat the gently caress out of that list.

The only cheese I’ve made is paneer. Very easy, very satisfying.

i suggest going for some mozzarella! very rewarding. plus you can use the leftover whey to make ricotta and after that even potentially some gjetost if that sort of thing floats your boat

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I've made feta before and it was fun but it took all day. Very tasty though.

Used a kit from Mad Millie, which you can get in the UK too

https://www.madmillie.com/

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

I agree and all but i'd have just gone with

boris

you

oval office

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mediaphage posted:

he's such trash. and his disgusting father's the same
The only thing more astonishing than Boris' constant rise to power has been all the loving journos writing thunkpieces about how he is secretly a machievellian genius. He's not. He's a nasty idiot hiding behind the facade of a bumbling idiot and the fuckers are still hypothesizing that he might turn out to have a plan.

I feel like there was a Simpsons moment like this, maybe a darker animation where someone's betting on a horse race or a boxing match, the thing they're betting on clearly dies, and the guy is still waving his ticket at the screen going "Any second now!"

Reminds me of a guy I went to uni with who was poo poo at writing. The stuff he turned in was absolutely transparent mashups of whatever was the latest big show to torrent, but he knew exactly how to charm the lecturers so they'd give him a 2:1.

I feel like Boris is like that. He knows exactly how to charm the media and where to slip in a knowing wink and tap on the nose to make them think he has a plan, and they're so loving stupid they roll over every time.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The only thing more astonishing than Boris' constant rise to power has been all the loving journos writing thunkpieces about how he is secretly a machievellian genius. He's not. He's a nasty idiot hiding behind the facade of a bumbling idiot and the fuckers are still hypothesizing that he might turn out to have a plan.

I feel like there was a Simpsons moment like this, maybe a darker animation where someone's betting on a horse race or a boxing match, the thing they're betting on clearly dies, and the guy is still waving his ticket at the screen going "Any second now!"

Reminds me of a guy I went to uni with who was poo poo at writing. The stuff he turned in was absolutely transparent mashups of whatever was the latest big show to torrent, but he knew exactly how to charm the lecturers so they'd give him a 2:1.

I feel like Boris is like that. He knows exactly how to charm the media and where to slip in a knowing wink and tap on the nose to make them think he has a plan, and they're so loving stupid they roll over every time.

well he pretended to be one for a while so i'm sure he gets, on some level, how to talk to them. this is not to suggest he has a plan, mind you, i completely agree with your assessment

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
calpol is a bit confusing isnt it?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Continuity NIP posted:

Separatist movements inside England

*bangs knife and fork on table* Danelaw! Danelaw!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i think the simpsons bit you mean is when homer is chasing after the bbq pig saying its still good

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Henri, Le Chat Noir, passed away yesterday :cry:

This video was made 2.5 years ago when he retired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx5Of3X-VJw

This was his first video from 2007: "My thumbs are not opposable. Yet I oppose everything."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7ibPk37_U

(Contrary to the existential crises of the videos, his slave said he led a happy life.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 12, 2020

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

i think the simpsons bit you mean is when homer is chasing after the bbq pig saying its still good

No no, I feel like I remember the racehorse bit too, but I wouldn't be able to tell you the context

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Dabir posted:

No no, I feel like I remember the racehorse bit too, but I wouldn't be able to tell you the context

could it be a santas little helper episode, the one where he shags the girl dog mayhaps

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Breath Ray posted:

could it be a santas little helper episode, the one where he shags the girl dog mayhaps

that would be my first guess but I have a really strong impression of it being horses

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Basically any time Krusty bets on something.

"I thought the Washington Generals were due!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This has always been a favourite bit for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSdV12FhNR0&t=310s

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

My feeling is he's actively stupid. He seems exactly the sort of boss who decides that as things aren't working he'll go in and fix it himself, but is too lazy to actually read the file and understand what is going on so just fucks it up even more.

I refuse to believe that Johnson is smart enough to understand how tariffs work.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's not the scene your thinking of, but I think back to the episode of the Simpsons where Homer changes his name to Max Power.

Basically Home falls in love with a TV series (Police Cops) where the main detective is a suave, smart supercop called Homer Simpson.
Then after the pilot the character is retooled into a bumbling, comedic idiot.
After this happens he tries to justify it by saying "Maybe he's gone undercover to infiltrate a gang of idiots."

And that's the level of self-delusion that the British media is going in on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Question IRL posted:

It's not the scene your thinking of, but I think back to the episode of the Simpsons where Homer changes his name to Max Power.

Basically Home falls in love with a TV series (Police Cops) where the main detective is a suave, smart supercop called Homer Simpson.
Then after the pilot the character is retooled into a bumbling, comedic idiot.
After this happens he tries to justify it by saying "Maybe he's gone undercover to infiltrate a gang of idiots."

And that's the level of self-delusion that the British media is going in on.

This is also basically Biden.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

a pipe smoking dog posted:

My feeling is he's actively stupid. He seems exactly the sort of boss who decides that as things aren't working he'll go in and fix it himself, but is too lazy to actually read the file and understand what is going on so just fucks it up even more.

I refuse to believe that Johnson is smart enough to understand how tariffs work.

The boss of a kitchen manufacturer I used to work for did exactly this at one point. He got a real bee in his bonnet about the production line slowing or stopping while they waited for pre order confirmation from site developers. Pre orders were kitchens planned in based on the dimensions and specs of individual plots, and were used to forecast and plan the production line. They wouldn’t actually be built until the site confirmed the preorder as correct, as sometimes things would change as the plots were built; walls and ceilings could move, extra things might get added etc. It was very common for a preorder to get amendments and then confirmed so production could go ahead.

Anyway he decided with his big rich boss brain that we would build the kitchens to the preorders to ensure the production line ran constantly without any slows or stoppages. Which over the course of a few months led to two things.

First the sites weren’t ready, so completed units filled up the warehouse and any other space they could go. The company ended up renting another unit out so they could store more units. It also meant warehouse staff spent huge amounts of time wheeling pallets around, as you had to move about 6 pallets each time you wanted to reach the one you wanted. Ultimately the production line ground to a complete halt in the end, because there was literally to put any more completed units.

The second was about half the plots had amendments come in. Normally this wasn’t a problem, as the preorder would just get amended and then the kitchen built. Except these had all been built to preorder measurements, and were now totally useless. About half the built kitchens had to be scrapped and made again.

So the whole “build to preorder” idea was quietly scrapped a few weeks after the poo poo hit the fan, and all he achieved was wasting huge amounts of time, money and resources.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

So what's the current betting on how long until there is an 'incident' and the navy sink a couple French fishing boats? I'm going for less than a week after exit.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Salisbury Snape posted:

So what's the current betting on how long until there is an 'incident' and the navy sink a couple French fishing boats? I'm going for less than a week after exit.

This, but it's the reverse and the navy ship sinks on approaching a french fishing boat because corners were cut during construction

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm betting on hose fights first.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

a pipe smoking dog posted:

he's not stupid exactly, he just spent his entire life up to becoming PM having two strategies that worked: bluffing having done a minimal amount of work, and waffling in precisely the way to appeal to certain fractions of British society and media (the "Boris charm"); our system has continually permitted him to move upwards based on his admittedly very impressive performance in these two skills, which in retrospect wasn't terribly useful now he's dealing with people who are competent, do the work beforehand, and aren't British so are immune to his aura of waffling nonsense charm

bear with me here, but i think we could do with a system not pathologically incapable of useful action

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's amazing what people will propose or support in the name of Brexit. A Facebook (yeah, I know...) group that I'm in has had one post devolve into a Brexit discussion.

One Brexiter, in response to the point that we are much less important to the EU27 in terms of trade than they are to us, said:

An idiot posted:

I don't just mean trade. We could destroy their tourist industry if we wanted. The government should put a 30% tariff on tourist travel to the EU and limit tourist journeys to twice per year per passport. If they complain, just tell them "Sorry, we need to rebuild our own tourist industry after Covid first."

Another idiot posted:

We have no choice but to wait and see if food prices do go up in January.

The government have it in their power to respond if it turns out to be necessary - as they did with UC increases etc recently. I do not expect them to sit idly by.

If prices go up 3% and Tesco aren't reaming profit, then lets look at it.

The UK should be far more self-sufficient on food than it has allowed itself to become (IMO). But if you look at staples, it doesn't all have to come from the EU and in many food areas it's not all bad news anyway.

Aside from this being madness in general, can you loving imagine the outrage if anyone else, let alone a Corbyn-led Labour Party, suggested on some poo poo pretext, a 30% charge on tourism and a limit on how often you could go on holiday somewhere. They'd all (rightly) be shrieking about it and going on about the Berlin Wall and Intourist and how now you need papers just to travel under joyless socialism, just like Stalinist Russia! And if anyone else proposed centralised price controls on food and capping Tesco's profits they'd be blasted as a loony communist.

But no, because it would be Saint Boris doing it and it's all in the name of Brexit and sticking it to the French it's all OK.

I sometimes think Corbyn would have won a landslide if every proposal for some sort of socialised service in the manifesto was suffixed with "like we had during The War" or proposed on the basis of "so we can have better [healthcare/housing/railways/BINS] than [insert European country here]"

Edit:

Salisbury Snape posted:

Guavanaut posted:

I'm betting on hose fights first.

The stupidest and most shameful outcome (therefore the most likely) is that after a few weeks of the RN politely asking European trawlers to leave and impounding the few that refuse (i.e. what they do with foreign fishing vessels caught in UK waters without permission already), the gammons and tabloids will be lathering themselves into a frenzy over how this isn't good enough and Not What Brexit Was About and A Shame On Grate Britane, and then Nigel Farage will get on QT and call for a 'Fleet of Little Ships' to protect our waters. Loads of gammony yacht owners will answer the call, a good portion will sink or otherwise need rescuing as they try to go beyond the limits of the Solent for the first time in their yachting careers and those that get into the Channel and North Sea blunder about the shipping lanes getting in the way of the container ships before boarding a British trawler because they can't tell the difference between the Maritime Signal Flag 'T' ("I am engaged in pair trawling") and the Tricolore and beating up the crew because they look a bit swarthy.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Dec 12, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Limiting foreign holidays to only twice a year? Barbarism.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

It’s sad how bizarre it is to see someone in public office saying things that are obviously common sense good ideas. ACAB but... he seems like a pretty great bastard.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

I sometimes think Corbyn would have won a landslide if every proposal for some sort of socialised service in the manifesto was suffixed with "like we had during The War" or proposed on the basis of "so we can have better [healthcare/housing/railways/BINS] than [insert European country here]"
There's probably room on the political spectrum for an updated version of "steam versus horses — traction engines — home production — work for the million" but I'm not sure exactly what it is that isn't fully automated luxury gay space communism, and I don't know how you communicate it to boomers.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The boss of a kitchen manufacturer I used to work for did exactly this at one point.

I really want this to be Howdens just because it would fit so well with the stories I’ve heard about them

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1205057103209156608

How the gently caress was this a year ago? How does it simultaneously feel like last week and some point in the mid 12th century?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This, but it's the reverse and the navy ship sinks on approaching a french fishing boat because corners were cut during construction

and it turns out there was a literal dimension to the corner cutting involving unibond bathroom sealant and hoping for the best

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/CouncilCulture/status/1205057103209156608

How the gently caress was this a year ago? How does it simultaneously feel like last week and some point in the mid 12th century?

Cameron's 2015 government was only supposed to have been dissolved back in May lol

i think the problem is just there is too much history being made these days

crispix fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 12, 2020

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder if 'separatist' will become the kind of slur again that 'separatista' is now (or that separatist was during Irish Home Rule).

Or we could look across the Atlantic and call them the secesh :shobon:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They might need that one themselves if groups of armed Texans keep complaining that reality didn't deliver them the correct president.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Lord North might still be worse, depending upon whether Johnson manages to destroy the union or not.

Exciting to be living in times where Lord North is second worst. :geno:

Lord North is far from the worst PM we ever had and definitely better than any of the last three. Losing the Colonies is his defining feature, but that was a historical inevitability. The real blame for it happening on his watch lies with Lord Howe, the commander of the British forces; he could easily have won the war close to the outset if he hadn't dithered, intentionally or otherwise. Outside of that North had some big successes both internationally and domestically, and he removed several laws discriminating against Catholics.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

Lord North is far from the worst PM we ever had and definitely better than any of the last three. Losing the Colonies is his defining feature, but that was a historical inevitability. The real blame for it happening on his watch lies with Lord Howe, the commander of the British forces; he could easily have won the war close to the outset if he hadn't dithered, intentionally or otherwise. Outside of that North had some big successes both internationally and domestically, and he removed several laws discriminating against Catholics.

Yeah. Bear in mind lots of historians are American so obviously losing America MUST have been the worst thing ever to happen to Britain. If you point out how many bits of the world we've lost, 'to us, it was Tuesday' etc they can get a bit miffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
His speech against the Quakers wanting to abolish slavery and the transatlantic trade counts as a pretty big demerit against him. Maybe that's just where history sat him, but being "oh well there's not much we can do about it" 10 minutes before there was makes him look like a huge dick.