Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

WarpedNaba posted:

If that's a decommissioned track, though, that'd be safe as balls.

Yeah, compared to what it was designed to support, even some mild degradation of the track would still be very safe for a cyclist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

McCracAttack posted:

This is the most perfect old man hobby I've ever seen. Thank you.

I have a coworker who does this and he's pretty close to retirement. Allow him to regale you with tales of his customized camper van.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Powershift posted:

It's a whole different bag of snakes.

https://i.imgur.com/5X9fGnT.mp4

We need more "WARNING: TANK CROSSING" signs.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
There are already track crossing signs at least where I am

But you know it's better to tread carefully and make sure people are aware

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Powershift posted:

It's a whole different bag of snakes.

https://i.imgur.com/5X9fGnT.mp4

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
does anyone have hard statistics on whether unionized workplaces have more or less accidents/safety violations than non-unionized? anecdotal experience is also welcome

im also curious about statistics with workplace safety in regards to cooperatively run businesses. im looking to see if mondragon has any documentation online but i cant find any

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

KoRMaK posted:

this shits hilarious, gently caress Elon musk, but I hope SpaceX does well. Second shot is beautiful
Agreed on both counts. I think SpaceX is cool and good and hope they succeed. Elon Musk is terrible and I hope he fails. He's failed his weird underage marriage so that's all v. good.

Speaking of rockets, I love this hour long episode about a tour of a modern rocket factory. My favorite part was how the CEO explained why they were manufacturing rocket hulls using orthogrids instead of the older isogrids. He explains why they prefer orthogrids because they are lighter, stronger, and much, much easier to machine. Some wizards in the 60's punched in a question for a computer without stopping to think about how assembly performs logic. The primitive series of BJT transistors gave them the answer known as the isogrid rocket hull. Decades of rocket scientists never bothered to math why this was supposedly the mathematically ideal rocket hull design. The isogrid was not an ideal rocket hull design.

Here's an isogrid by the way. Triangles, laughable.

Orthogrid. Literally just squares, that's it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Kanine posted:

does anyone have hard statistics on whether unionized workplaces have more or less accidents/safety violations than non-unionized? anecdotal experience is also welcome

im also curious about statistics with workplace safety in regards to cooperatively run businesses. im looking to see if mondragon has any documentation online but i cant find any

I run operational administration for my country's biggest building products conglomerate, and I'd say I haven't seen much difference. Then again, given that these places are operating 24/7 on 4x4 12-hour shifts, I suspect that the bosses may have come together and realised that actually protecting/training their staff impacts the bottom line less than having to draft in replacements on short notice.

Enlightened self-interest can be put to good use!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

McCracAttack posted:

This is the most perfect old man hobby I've ever seen. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viSJsOUCGu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8mhIdZoVow

There are also rail runners/riders/speeders/karts. 4 wheeled carts powered by cheap engines pull start engines like you can find are harbor freight. Lots of interesting examples of various levels of craftsmanship and safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP6Dg2vsynY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq6oQ8Z5hwU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

New DLC for Far Cry 5?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Sanctum posted:

Agreed on both counts. I think SpaceX is cool and good and hope they succeed. Elon Musk is terrible and I hope he fails. He's failed his weird underage marriage so that's all v. good.

Speaking of rockets, I love this hour long episode about a tour of a modern rocket factory. My favorite part was how the CEO explained why they were manufacturing rocket hulls using orthogrids instead of the older isogrids. He explains why they prefer orthogrids because they are lighter, stronger, and much, much easier to machine. Some wizards in the 60's punched in a question for a computer without stopping to think about how assembly performs logic. The primitive series of BJT transistors gave them the answer known as the isogrid rocket hull. Decades of rocket scientists never bothered to math why this was supposedly the mathematically ideal rocket hull design. The isogrid was not an ideal rocket hull design.

When do we get hexogrids.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

cumberland blue line? their entire parking structure is held up by luck

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sanctum posted:

This is a really inaccurate post. Like...you got basically every fact wrong. Including what’s said in the video.

The isogrid design is stated in the video to be from the 90s not the 60s and that part about ??”BJT transistor generated isogrids”?? is dumb bullshit you made up. Also while I can’t claim that those parts are identically complicated to machine without seeing a print, a rectangular pocket and a triangular pocket are more-or-less identically complicated for a CNC machine. Also those aren’t squares.

The idea that probably a hundred stress engineers, all of them trained in how finite elements work from the the classes where you calculate the matrices by hand up through using the software, never thought to consider anisotropic designs is just insulting.

Way to make the world dumber.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Dec 12, 2020

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

New DLC for Far Cry 5?

There's already a thing like this in the Long Dark, only on foot.

... and part of it's collapsed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sanctum posted:

He's failed his weird underage marriage so that's all v. good.

What?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

nvm

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Platystemon posted:

The cyclist in the video has weak arm extension, but signalling a right turn with the right arm extended is allowed.

That poo poo there is hurting my head. Im guessing this is the officially correct use of handsigns in the USA?

Cause it sure as poo poo isn't correct in Denmark. (Yes I did have to go look it up, thanks for making me doubt what i've known for the last 30 years)

In Denmark you:
Extend your left hand to the left when indicating a left turn.
Extend your right hand to the right when indicating a right turn.
Raise your left hand when indicating a stop.
Thats it.

Goddamn I'd be stressed out trying to work out what the gently caress you guys are trying to if I ever went to the US and tried to get anywhere on a bike or in a car.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Literally the only difference from what you described is the extra option in the middle and as previously mentioned that’s necessary to keep your right hand on the throttle/front brake of a motorcycle. Also for an unsignaled car. When turning right in an unsignaled antique vehicle, do you reach your right hand out the right window?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

That poo poo there is hurting my head. Im guessing this is the officially correct use of handsigns in the USA?

Cause it sure as poo poo isn't correct in Denmark. (Yes I did have to go look it up, thanks for making me doubt what i've known for the last 30 years)

In Denmark you:
Extend your left hand to the left when indicating a left turn.
Extend your right hand to the right when indicating a right turn.
Raise your left hand when indicating a stop.
Thats it.

Goddamn I'd be stressed out trying to work out what the gently caress you guys are trying to if I ever went to the US and tried to get anywhere on a bike or in a car.

It's the same signals used for both bike and car. You stick your left hand out the window in a car, which is why that's used for all signals.

You're tested on this when you get your license (at least I was in my state) but I know no one except cyclists remember the correct right hand signal, but it's the lawful way.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CarForumPoster posted:

The idea that probably a hundred stress engineers, all of them trained in how finite elements work from the the classes where you calculate the matrices by hand up through using the software, never thought to consider anisotropic designs is just insulting.

This. It's the sort of thing that any engineer will do as part of their coursework. My education was biologically inclined, so I did my stress work on bones, calculating which vertebrae would be most affected by the action of picking something up in different conditions. Also, calculating the strength of a design like that is relatively trivial as far as FEA goes.

It gets even more laughable when you realize that recently, the advent of 3D printing and additive manufacturing has lead aerospace to consider making parts in a completely different way, and the idea that aerospace engineers would only think about the aero part of their education and not the space part of their education is very silly.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I got no problem with using those signals a you describe on a motorbike or in a car. That makes sense do to the physical restrictions of the vehicles.

I'm having problems with the bicycle signalling. Where the Danish sign for stop is used as an american alternate sign for right turn.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SerthVarnee posted:

you don't want to ride a bike in the US

And cars have turn signal lights. Sometimes people even use them. I have driven a car for 22 years and have never once in my entire life encountered someone trying to use those hand signals. I only know what the hand signals are because of a Clint Eastwood movie with an orangutan.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk

FuturePastNow posted:

I agree entirely, but thats a seperate matter. Its just one of those things that make your head protest aggressively because of the unexpected loss of faith in standardized rules.
Like the fact that Swedish trains still drive on the left side of a double track where Danish ones drive on the right side. It fucks up your ingrained knowledge and makes you spend a couple extra seconds trying to figure out something ridiculously simple.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FuturePastNow posted:

And cars have turn signal lights. Sometimes people even use them. I have driven a car for 22 years and have never once in my entire life encountered someone trying to use those hand signals. I only know what the hand signals are because of a Clint Eastwood movie with an orangutan.

I saw it once. It was a guy driving an e46 bmw who seemed too lazy to use the actual turn signals because he had his arm out the window, so he used hand signals instead.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Every cyclist I know (in the US) just points in the direction they're going and the low open palmed "whoa, hold up" gesture is universally understood to mean stop. It's the sort of gesture you'd make to stop your buddy from stepping in dog poo poo on the sidewalk. Everyone gets it.

But this poo poo is bananas:

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 12, 2020

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
https://v.redd.it/ghl18ln12q461
Ingenuity...

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dirk the Average posted:

This. It's the sort of thing that any engineer will do as part of their coursework. [...] Also, calculating the strength of a design like that is relatively trivial as far as FEA goes.

Yea this is why I got so bitchy about it. It denigrates a profession that takes weight and safety very seriously and which directly affects every person who drives a car or flies on a plane.

I took two classes in this as a junior in mechanical engineering. Every engineer understand the differences in simulating those two designs and why it was a challenge/constraint in the 90s but not in 2020. The guys and gals in the stress group I worked with at [big defense cos] often had masters degrees or PhDs focused in this area and that was on a mil airplane that’s been flying a long time. The foundational stress experts that make “we’re going with an isotropic design” do so after significant trade studies, prototype building, and real world testing and will easily have 20+ years experience and a PhD.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
CarForumsPoster, you almost had me there. You should have posted this stuff before the coin categorisation/car AI silliness.

Now for our regularly scheduled programming:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea this is why I got so bitchy about it. It denigrates a profession that takes weight and safety very seriously and which directly affects every person who drives a car or flies on a plane.

I took two classes in this as a junior in mechanical engineering. Every engineer understand the differences in simulating those two designs and why it was a challenge/constraint in the 90s but not in 2020. The guys and gals in the stress group I worked with at [big defense cos] often had masters degrees or PhDs focused in this area and that was on a mil airplane that’s been flying a long time. The foundational stress experts that make “we’re going with an isotropic design” do so after significant trade studies, prototype building, and real world testing and will easily have 20+ years experience and a PhD.

Nobody cares about your experience at defense cos

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Kanine posted:

Anecdotal experience here. I went from a large 8,000+ worker construction project that was non-union to another 8,000+ worker project that was union. The number of incidents was roughly the same at both places. Around 10-15 incidents per day Monday through Friday (less on the weekends) and 1-3 OSHA recordable incidents each week.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jacob’s Ladder

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/2s1gHdn.mp4

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That looks a gazillion times safer than the last batch of log splitting machines that were posted here

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Yeah, I mostly posted it cause it looked cool. I’d still find a way to injure myself using it though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yes, I'm thinking about it and while it won't catch you unawares and is basically a big spike on the ground you have to fall onto, if you do it will cheerfully pull its way through you. Still safer than a lot of other homemade things though.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

holy poo poo, cartoon drills are real and they split wood

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

IIRC the last time the thread did a tour of homebrew wood splitting devices it was a majority view that the coil-spring rocking type was the least likely to horribly maim you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3VMhfIsfm0

other advantages: no electrical power required for use, can be made of recycled materials, not technically complex to build.

if you really wanted to go nuts with safety you could probably install a two-hands-required brake mechanism, so you can't place your hand under the cutting edge while operating it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

when ur mum finds out what you've been doing with her dildo she's not gonna be happy

Serephina posted:

Yes, I'm thinking about it and while it won't catch you unawares and is basically a big spike on the ground you have to fall onto, if you do it will cheerfully pull its way through you. Still safer than a lot of other homemade things though.

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like. Unless you really impaled yourself on the bit with force, I don't think it would do all that much on you except ugly bruising, like it wouldn't bite into you like it does with wood. But your clothes would probably get entangled and you would be dragged into it. So better operate it naked.

like ur mum

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like the kinetic log splitter type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1AqMZavQM8&t=29s

Small motor, big flywheel, pull the lever to engage the rack with the pinion and use that momentum to drive the log into a stationary wedge.

This example needs guards on the flywheels and belt and a two‐hand interlock, which commercial units do have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT_ympItuok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Platystemon posted:

Jacob’s Ladder

Real Life rear end Creed sucks.