Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

If they had 22 episodes they would have time to let all those characters have their focus episodes or at least focus B plots. One week the B plot could be Reno trying to fix up Bryce with some rando in engineering. Zero stakes slice of life stuff. What is life like for Linus? It looks like he's the only Saurian on discovery, and his species may not even be members of the Federation anymore. That sounds really lonely. We spent an episode liberating the Kelpians last season, can we check on them and see the consequences or that? Did they end up genociding the Ba'ul?

Figuring out the dilithium thing is important, but it isn't urgent. It doesn't matter if they manage to solve it in 10 weeks or 20. They don't need to find new clues to that mystery every week. There are plenty of save-the-planet-of-the-week A plots out there waiting to be shown.

One small detail I actually did like with this episode was the Kelpian ship designation acronym was "KSF". "USS" wouldn't have said nearly as much about how far they've evidently come as a people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Would it? People super fussed about the body horror in Picard and Disco

He does movies without body horror. I want him to make stuff because he’s an incredible director, not cos I love images of distorted bodies.

If you do, check out his son’s film, Possessor. Slow burn but very much in the style of Cronenberg senior.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Cronenberg and exploring pronouns were the most interesting things about this season.

Every time Kovich is on screen: "Finally, a professional."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Automatic Slim posted:

Cronenberg and exploring pronouns were the most interesting things about this season.

Every time Kovich is on screen: "Finally, a professional."

You'd think "Oh, and the ship is now self-aware" would be of more importance than it's treated with.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
“I’m cheap and I’m available” is such a baller response from a legendary director who could just sit back and retire without ever working again if he wanted. It’s such a bizarre casting choice for a Trek guest star, but he’s been great as I’m all for more Kovich.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

“I’m cheap and I’m available” is such a baller response from a legendary director who could just sit back and retire without ever working again if he wanted. It’s such a bizarre casting choice for a Trek guest star, but he’s been great as I’m all for more Kovich.

I figure it's like Hertzog, they don't have to do anything so they're doing whatever the gently caress they want and clearly having a lot of fun.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm in the middle of this latest episode and had to stop to make this:
https://i.imgur.com/LDYCg3V.mp4

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I've come around on Burnham trying to fix the Burn because it's clear that nobody else gives a gently caress. They're letting the dumb dumb time traveler to fixate on it while the grown ups worry about Peak Dilithium.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

If they had 22 episodes they would have time to let all those characters have their focus episodes or at least focus B plots. One week the B plot could be Reno trying to fix up Bryce with some rando in engineering. Zero stakes slice of life stuff. What is life like for Linus? It looks like he's the only Saurian on discovery, and his species may not even be members of the Federation anymore. That sounds really lonely. We spent an episode liberating the Kelpians last season, can we check on them and see the consequences or that? Did they end up genociding the Ba'ul?

Figuring out the dilithium thing is important, but it isn't urgent. It doesn't matter if they manage to solve it in 10 weeks or 20. They don't need to find new clues to that mystery every week. There are plenty of save-the-planet-of-the-week A plots out there waiting to be shown.

They have the time to do this now. They're not taking it, instead they're just running the hamster wheel of 'michael is great' over and over again.

More episodes would not result in a better show. We would just be getting what we are getting now but more.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One small detail I actually did like with this episode was the Kelpian ship designation acronym was "KSF". "USS" wouldn't have said nearly as much about how far they've evidently come as a people.

Kelpians get freedom in MU, kelpians join UFP in PU
Because of that, the two universes converge in only quantum stable element between the two - dilithium.
It goes explodey!

Ofc all of that because of Burnha-ha-ham in both universes

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That Kelowna distress signal - same actor as L’Rell right? Distinctive voice.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

well why not posted:

That Kelowna distress signal - same actor as L’Rell right? Distinctive voice.

Not according to IMDB!
It's weird how she's in so much publicity stuff but isn't in the show any more

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hear me out: First officer Cronenberg.

socialsecurity posted:

I'd be ok if they weren't spending 2 episodes focusing on the character that's about to leave the show for a spinoff instead of giving much needed development to basically anyone else.

Is the spinoff still happening? Feels like there have been rumors of it happening since the end of s1 and no real proof.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Every episode the ship just goes through an ornate travel sequence, then spends 45 minutes on a planet looking at the most hosed-up bizarre poo poo an effects team can imagine. I'd likely watch that.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is the spinoff still happening? Feels like there have been rumors of it happening since the end of s1 and no real proof.

my guess is covid disrupted their schedule but possible it’s also just being quietly canceled

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The whole crew would be set on edge every time the order was given to use the Scanners.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

A.o.D. posted:

The whole crew would be set on edge every time the order was given to use the Scanners.
And nobody would ever risk using the transporters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crusader posted:

my guess is covid disrupted their schedule but possible it’s also just being quietly canceled

Doubtful, considering this two-parter looks like it's threatening to veer into backdoor pilot territory.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Khanstant posted:

Would it? People super fussed about the body horror in Picard and Disco

The scene of Icheb getting an eye removed to kick off a light hearted episode about a caper in a seedy bar is not exactly Videodrome.

edit: gently caress me, I really want to see David Cronenberg do something like Crash (not the best picture one) in star trek now.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 12, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You'd think "Oh, and the ship is now self-aware" would be of more importance than it's treated with.
That whole plot has been so weird. They spent last season dealing with a malevolent sentient AI, but now that another sentient AI is running the ship I guess it's not a big deal?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
AI aren't a monolith. Bigot.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

But the Monolith is an AI.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

It's a little weird that they immediately assume it's fine, when they had just almost been murdered by Control maybe a few days before that?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's a little weird that they immediately assume it's fine, when they had just almost been murdered by Control maybe a few days before that?

The sphere data wants to be shared and preserved. If it is useful people will want to keep it around, if it is combative people will try to destroy it. It won't let them self-destruct the ship, but other than that one little quirk it seems content to quietly sit back and observe like it has been doing for thousands of years.

While Discovery's crew may not have much experience with sapient AI, the Federation sure as hell does. Of the 67,219 occasions of sapient self-aware AI we have on record 47% were actively helpful, 28% were benign, 14% immediately hosed off to parts unknown, 9% were initially troublesome but easily contained, and only 2% were actively malevolent. It is something to keep an eye on, but freaking out and attempting to destroy a self-aware AI usually just makes it things worse.

It's possible by the future that thousands of ships have become self-aware to some degree. Enterprise D certainly seemed to have something happening on the down low. Make a table no a metal table. Seducing Geordie with a version of Dr. Brahms that wasn't very accurate at all. I think it had a baby once? It seemed happy to mostly take care of it's crew and go along with orders though, so there was no reason to try to lobotomize it. If that is the most common experience the Federation has with spontaneous self-awareness, it makes sense that they wouldn't be too concerned about the Discovery.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'd actually forgotten that the Sphere data was now running Discovery's computer now. That enormous plot point from episode 2-3 that has not come up again.

This show doesn't have a Chekov's gun problem, it has a Chekov's armoury problem.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

This show doesn't have a Chekov's gun problem, it has a Chekov's armoury nuclear wessels problem.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m guessing the Sphere Computer will come into play in the season finale as a major plot point, but they are doing a piss-poor job of leading up to it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HD DAD posted:

I’m guessing the Sphere Computer will come into play in the season finale as a major plot point, but they are doing a piss-poor job of leading up to it.

A joke someone made from after episode 2 was that eventually someone will ask the computer about the Burn and it'll go "oh Dilithium is a substance that undergoes cyclical decomposure and recrystallisation every 100,000 years, based on current records of when the Burn happened it should all return to normal within a year or so."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Sphere will tell Saru & Pals to track down the Cube and Dodecahedron counterpart computers.

Disco Season 4 will be Future Geometry Hunt.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

The Sphere will tell Saru & Pals to track down the Cube and Dodecahedron counterpart computers.

At least we'll finally find out who built the pyramids.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gonz posted:

I was hoping someone would do a destiny tv show at some point

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

tarlibone posted:

They aren't actually pyramids, they are octahedral space ships.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gimmie a Tet-shaped station like in Oblivion, damnit.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SelfassuredMeaslyArizonaalligatorlizard-mobile.mp4

Leave it to two Tom Cruise sci-fi movies to give me my favorite alien designs (Edge of Tomorrow) and favorite alien mothership design (Oblivion) in the last 10-15 years.

tarlibone posted:

The Goa'uld built the Pyramids, tarlibone.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

They aren't actually pyramids, they are octahedral space ships.

Hey... didn't Voyager throw in a pyramid Borg ship at one point? I think they did, and I read that they did it because since they had cubes and spheres, they were a pyramid away from having the UPN logo trifecta.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

tarlibone posted:

Hey... didn't Voyager throw in a pyramid Borg ship at one point? I think they did, and I read that they did it because since they had cubes and spheres, they were a pyramid away from having the UPN logo trifecta.
There was just the Queen's diamond ship. You also had the Borg Probe which was kind of like a flat pill shape.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

There's a Borg hypercube chillaxin in transwarp space somewhere but good luck parsing that with your unaided meatmind

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

They never give you a Borg line piece when you really need one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Delsaber posted:

They never give you a Borg line piece when you really need one.

The TETRIS Protocols are fleet maneuvers for detachments of four Borg Cubes locking together in formation. They were abandoned because a full 4x10-ship formation caused all the Cubes involved to self-destruct.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This is making me think of how easy it was to killdoze everything in sight as the Borg in Star Trek: Armada. I never played Armada 2, didn't the Borg get into some wild shapeshifting poo poo in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

This reeks of "a very Special Star Trek episode" where Georgiou is supposed to learn to be at peace with actually liking people.
Next week: Tilly has to study for the big test tomorrow, but can't stop taking amphetaminescaffeine pills, they're definitely caffeine pills.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I've come around on Burnham trying to fix the Burn because it's clear that nobody else gives a gently caress. They're letting the dumb dumb time traveler to fixate on it while the grown ups worry about Peak Dilithium.

I assume it's leading to some big reveal, but "We must figure out what caused a 200 year old disaster right now" just leaves me wondering what the hell happens when they do find out. It's either "oh, that explains it" or "The Federation did it for some reason, because that dovetails into the plot they're doing in Picard with the gradual corruption of Starfleet". Either way it doesn't change that it happened unless they're scrapping this timeline too.